Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest ongoing Commute

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Augeo wrote: »
    Yeah ............. there's a cool story bro element to that :)
    Do your examples cover most people doing long commutes? Nope :)
    Utility contractors and factory workers don't have the Dunkettle interchange, N7 and M50 jammed every morning me thinks.

I think you live in a sheltered enviorment. They may still have to encounter them in the last few miles of there commute, most work 9 hour days ( 8+1hour meal breaks) not 7-8 and allowed to skite of 10 minutes early. However they also may not be accessing work via national primary routes but travelling seconday roads for a good portion of there journey. Like I stated they consider 60 miles a handy commute and often was travelling 100+. It is not just civils workers lads working for contractor to Irish water, ESB, wind farms, different telecoms and mobile companies etc.

Slava Ukrainii

I think you live in a sheltered enviorment...........

Not at all.... well it depends on your prerogative of course but in general terms, not at all.
    Self employed, live in Kildare, currently working (mainly) in Dublin, God knows where next.

I said most people doing long commutes.......... you're still bleating on about "not just civils workers lads working for contractor to Irish water, ESB, wind farms, different telecoms and mobile companies etc" ....... there's life beyond the high vis vest & breakfast roll for those who seek it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

It is not just civils workers lads working for contractor to Irish water, ESB, wind farms, different telecoms and mobile companies etc.

Sure a lot of those sectors would have a very significant civil engineering element also. At first thought you mighn't think it but even the likes of mobile telecoms companies would have a lot of civil engineering infrastructure - compounds, access roads, yards, chambers, drainage, mast structures, exchange & substation buildings etc etc and of course, many thousands of kilometers of ducting and cabling that all has to be built, maintained, repaired upgraded etc over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Not at all.... well it depends on your prerogative of course but in general terms, not at all.
    Self employed, live in Kildare, currently working (mainly) in Dublin, God knows where next.

I said most people doing long commutes.......... you're still bleating on about "not just civils workers lads working for contractor to Irish water, ESB, wind farms, different telecoms and mobile companies etc" ....... there's life beyond the high vis vest & breakfast roll for those who seek it.

It is immaterial there will still be people working in these jobs. they will still have to commute from somewher to preform these jobs. The presumption is that all people and couples, family's have a choice and can live in an apartment or a house that is within 30 minutes or less from there place of employment. If they do not people blame planning or public transport system.

Slava Ukrainii

.............The presumption is that all people and couples, family's have a choice and can live in an apartment or a house that is within 30 minutes or less from there place of employment. If they do not people blame planning or public transport system.

.......or their employer in your speel?

As I said.....
    ..........we all largely end up where we put ourselves.

......that's the whole shebang .........work, life and home :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Friend of mine commuted from Clonmel to north Dublin city for 2 years. Was 3 hours each way. Absolutely insane I have no idea how he did it - despite this was one of the most upbeat and happy guys in the office. Luckily he got a job in Cork so less than an hour and can work from home sometimes.

I don't know how people do it. Anything over an hour and I'd move. I get very pissed off when my commute takes 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

marno21 wrote: »
    Thurles-Cork is quite a reasonable commute, provided that the destination is quite easily accessible from the M8/N40

To me Thurles to Cork is absolutely cracked as a commute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

To me Thurles to Cork is absolutely cracked as a commute!

Thurles to Cork by train, using a bike at each end? That’s it cracked completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    These long commutes are the price we pay for our obsession with owning a house and having a back garden, going out not up, and it's only going to get worse unless we change our attitudes. Before long Athlone will be a Dublin suburb

If you think this is a uniquely Irish problem or a problem with not building high rises, then you have quite a sheltered view of the world.

Take a look at high rise cities around the world and you will still find mega commuters in large numbers.

FDI is ALWAYS higher in cities. It's a fact of life and it always attracts people from outside the city into itThe likes of an Intel, investing in Kildare is a rarity, relatively speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

GavMan wrote:
    Take a look at high rise cities around the world and you will still find mega commuters in large numbers.

Former work colleague is from Manila.

Back home, he traveled the same distance as from Tuam to Galway for 18 months.

It took him 4 hours. Each way. I spent 30 minutes discussing it with him and he was adamant that that was the reality.

Combination of 3 buses. I asked why the hell would you not cycle and he said pollution and road safety are so problematic, it wouldn't be advised. I asked could he sleep or work on the bus and he said that no, they were so busy, everyone was crammed in so not possible.

In his job, they sometimes had to meet deadlines so did overtime until 8 pm.

I said "sure that would mean you wouldn't get home until midnight and have to leave at 4 am" he said yes but it was only for about 2-3 weeks every quarter.

He's the only guy I know who thinks traffic in Galway is wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

GavMan wrote: »
    If you think this is a uniquely Irish problem or a problem with not building high rises, then you have quite a sheltered view of the world.

FDI is ALWAYS higher in cities. It's a fact of life and it always attracts people from outside the city into itThe likes of an Intel, investing in Kildare is a rarity, relatively speaking.
    Those high rise cities already happen to be in countries with huge existing populations compared to Ireland. The pressure on Dublin's housing/renting crisis could be exponentially reduced through building high density accommodation.

GavMan wrote: »

Mmmmm you'll rarely see manufacturing facilities employing thousands in a actual city though.

Even in the US the likes of J&J have huge sites quite a bit away (30 miles) from Boston etc. Intel set up isn't that rare.

Large manufacturing is often found near towns miles from the suburbia of cities.

Advertisement