Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest ongoing Commute

Options
  • 23-04-2018 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭

What are the longest daily Commutes people are doing?
    Could be travelling Limerick Dublin for a while..

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have heard of two people travelling from armagh to dublin - neither still doing it, but one was driving from armagh to either newry or dundalk (can't remember which it was); train from there to connolly; dart from connolly to blackrock; and staff bus from blackrock dart station to leopardstown. she did it for about a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's a few regulars in the cycling forum doing round trips of 100k cycling to/from work. Much more impressive than anyone driving longer distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

There's a few regulars in the cycling forum doing round trips of 100k cycling to/from work. Much more impressive than anyone driving longer distances.

Its more the time travelling , effect on home life..whats the furthest manageable commute im interested in..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

BIL travels Mayo to Cork every monday morning and home again that eve, rest of week is Mayo - Limerick daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bauney

Doing 120km each way. Non motorway. 50/80/100 km of average standard of roads. Takes 1 hour 50 mins. Travel 3 days a week. Ework other 2 days. Doing it for 6 or so years. To be honest, it's beginning to take its toll. Stressful at times with traffic, constant changing of speed limits, weather, speed cameras, care service costs. I have 2 young kids now and its hard to get balance. That said it's my choice to stay working where I am but it's definitely getting harder the older I get. I try to use my car time to listen to podcasts to get most out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,723 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm doing Laois to Dublin and it takes about an hour each way @ just under 200km a day.

To make it manageable though I start/finish work later to miss the worst of the traffic.. but the downside of this is not getting home till 8/8:30 most nights.

It's also not cheap.. extra mileage means more frequent servicing costs, tyres, fuel etc. It'll ultimately wreck a car if done over the long term so that needs to be factored in too.

It's also very tiring after a while. Being motorway all the way does help, but it's constant concentration and needing to deal with a lot of muppetry and stupidity on the roads every day. It does wear you out, and your patience shortens dramatically - everyone can shrug off an occasional "incident" on a journey, but when you experience several of those "incidents" every journey the tolerance level drops a lot!

In short, a long commute is not something to be done long term IMO.. although with the current housing situation (shortages and expensive), piss-poor (and also expensive!) public transport which doesn't cater for anything other than simple A-B trips for the most part, and the fact that most jobs are centered around Dublin or the handful of regional cities, it's pretty much unavoidable for many, which is also why the whole anti-car attitudes of many on this forum but also in the decision making processes annoy me - what are people SUPPOSED to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I remember an article, someone was doing Tipperary to Dublin each day. Mania.

Someone at work (who has since relocated) was doing Clonmel to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

hurler32 wrote: »
    Its more the time travelling , effect on home life..whats the furthest manageable commute im interested in..

I cycle Blessington to Eastpoint each day. It works out at 70km round trip. Time wise 1:05 on the way in and 1:15-1:20 on the way home.

When I drive it it works out very similar times on the way in however if I get any sort of delay getting out of the office I can easily 2+ hr on the way home with about 80% of that time just trying to get out of the city.

The distance is not always the killer it's the time spent. I know people who have 80km each way but they get there in an hour. I know others that have 12km but takes about 90mins each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

A guy in work comes into London each day from 112 miles away. His train ticket is £950 a month.

I think hes mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Worked with a guy a few years ago who did Omagh to Dublin and back most days. He stayed with friends at least once a week when something was on or he just couldn't face the return journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I was a bus driver on Collins' bus service from Carrickmacross, Monaghan to Dublin. The journey took around 3 hours each way in rush hour. I quit the job after 3 months as I had enough of seeing such miserable people every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

I'm doing 74km each way 5 days a week. An hour each way mostly on motorway and dual carriageway. €19 a week on tolls. Not very long but do different shifts each day and could be.driving to work at 3am and have found motorway driving at that time a bit disorientating. Much prefer driving with some traffic around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

gmacww wrote: »
    It works out at 70km round trip. Time wise 1:05 on the way in
    that's some average speed, considering it's not all on open roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

North Galway to Dublin, 3 days a week. 500km round trip. On a motorbike.

Did it for 4 years, gave it up about 2 years ago. Don't miss it, mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

that's some average speed, considering it's not all on open roads!

It's also mostly down hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Banbridge to Blanchardstown Mon-Fri here, ~260km round trip, about 4 months into it and while I have gotten used to it, I do already feel that I cannot keep this up for much more than a year, 2 years max maybe. Lorry drivers are a$$holes, mainly, and the N2 at the ridiculous traffic lights at the turn off for tayto park is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I knew a couple living in Portlaoise, one worked in Cork, the other in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I did Dublin to Sligo for 2 years. Was a nightmare, but had to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Did Gorey to Blanchardstown/Citywest daily about 2 yrs ago. Was fine for about a year or more, but then it started to take its toll on both my and the car. Couldn't go back to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

I do Waterford to Nurney 3-4 times a week working a 12 hr shift for the last 6 years.
    Partner does Waterford-Citywest also 3-4 days a week with a 12 hr shift.
    Throw 2 young kids into the mix it’s going to be fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I can't get my head around this communting carry on.

It's absolute insanity! I'd rather have a low paid job near home and have a life rather than be a highly paid hamster in a wheel that never stops.

It's absolute insanity! I'd rather have a low paid job near home and have a life rather than be a highly paid hamster in a wheel that never stops.
    my sister went from spending about 2.5 hours on the bus every day, to a lower paid job a five minute walk from her home. the benefit it made to her life was far better than the loss in pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Not in Ireland but I remember hearing of a guy who commutes daily from Newcastle to London completely insane if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,723 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

my sister went from spending about 2.5 hours on the bus every day, to a lower paid job a five minute walk from her home. the benefit it made to her life was far better than the loss in pay.

That's grand if you can get a job in your field close to home.

Me I manage a global IT team in a multinational. Not many of those in Laois - but luckily I can make my own hours and work from home occasionally.

Besides, as mentioned above it can taker longer to get out of Dublin city centre at rush hour than it does for me to drive 2 counties away

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd say it's a means to an end for most people. They may require a few years experience to allow them to be promoted or to get a better position elsewhere. I don't think anyone does it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

sugarman wrote: »
    Plenty of daily commuters in my place of work in Dublin traveling from Belfast, Galway, Portlaoise, Killkenny to name but a few. Theyre all mad!

Then again, sometimes it takes longer for other colleagues going from North to South Dublin than it does for some of the long distance commuters.

Couldnt and wouldnt travel over an hour eachway myself.

These long commutes are the price we pay for our obsession with owning a house and having a back garden, going out not up, and it's only going to get worse unless we change our attitudes. Before long Athlone will be a Dublin suburb

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Clashmore wrote: »
    I do Waterford to Nurney 3-4 times a week working a 12 hr shift for the last 6 years.
    Partner does Waterford-Citywest also 3-4 days a week with a 12 hr shift.
    Throw 2 young kids into the mix it’s going to be fun

Nurney Co. Carlow or Co. Kildare?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Mountmellick to Navan. 110km each way daily. Did it for 2 years. Puke..
    1hr45 in summer, almost 2hrs in winter.
    Got used to it, but hard graft due to mix of roads. Converting a big cruiser I had (407 Coupe) to LPG did the trick as I had diesel economy with petrol low maintenance. And double glazed windows. 20 miles of M6 motorway but then a lot of ****ty roads with heavy traffic. Eg Longwood, Clonard, Trim. And Mountmellick to Tullamore at the other end.
    Cross country was possible via Edenderry if you could afford a new suspension every 6 months.
    I hear from ex colleagues, there's a careerist young mother who is now doing Glenamaddy to Navan daily. That is stone cold bat**** crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

I did Edgeworthstown to Dublin City Centre by train 4 to 5 days a week for 13 years until a year ago. It was four hours per day door-to-door. It is possible but don't expect to have a life while doing so. You think you're coping until it finishes but after a year off I feel like I'm still in some sort of recovery.

That being said, I occasionally stayed in Citywest and the commute in from there was only 20 minutes faster than the Intercity from Edgeworthstown by the time you dealt with longer walks either end.

The devil is in the details - if the train works, it makes if far more viable than driving as you can use the time productively. But once door-to-door passes 2 hours it's getting silly. A day or two a week from home makes all the difference. Don't start without some kind of exit plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I travel from rural Sligo to urban Sligo. In total it's approximately 40 minutes/30 kph each way..

Advertisement