Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Femicide

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not only south America but also a lot of eastern countries have a problem of gender motivated honour killings, the victims are overwhelmingly female

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

AllForIt wrote: »
    It's not valid unless it's 100% motivated by gender imo.....

It is definitely difficult to determine to what extent a murder is "gender motivated" and this is where the problem will lie when it comes to using the term here. And it will become a buzz word that is misused by the so-called feminazis.

However, I would say that femicides can be linked to a general culture of misogyny, as is evident in the example of Mexico as I mentioned. There were gangs of men targeting young women. The killers weren't in relationships with them, they simply hunted down young girls to rape and kill. Many of the victims were working in factories and trying gain financial independence and this has been talked about as a form of motivation in the sense that they were not fulfilling their traditional domestic roles.

These killings were truly gender-motivated imo and I think that they were also connected to a culture of misogyny as was ruled in court. The police and legal systems were even found to have assimilated this culture in how they failed to investigate the murders properly. I have personally witnessed this culture and can confirm that, for example, it is the absolute norm for women to be verbally abused on the street by random men. I believe that these ideas can escalate into serious violence. The machismo culture doesnt exist as much here, hence the reason why the term femicide isnt heard that much.

but as i say it will be the next term to be bandied about. Then it will be trans-femicide. Oh and "rape culture" is another :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

https://player.fm/series/rt-marian-finucane-1324431/femicide

it's all part of a continuum of misogyny as exemplified in the recent Belfast rugby rape trial.

weren't those defendants found not guilty?

how was an unbiased, well run court case misogynistic, when the names of the men were released, yet the name of the plaintiff (whose accusation was not proven) remained anonymous.

is it misogynistic to be wrongly accused now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

And the ajenda is now clear......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

another deranged man hating lunatic getting airtime.
    People wonder what damage the likes of Louise O Neill and Una Mullaly do - well this is one example, normalising this man hating claptrap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

What way did you vote?

/S
    Against the control of women, which is the basic point of the OP. My understanding of your comment is that in your view that makes me complicit in the murder of babies.

That view is fundamentally flawed. Agents of the Catholic Church are its greatest proponents. The Catholic Church is responsible for the killing of babies and the horrific abuse of women a la Magdalene laundries. Goes without saying that they're the single major contributor to the statistic that one in four of Irish people experienced sexual abuse as a child. Still have refused to compensate the victims.

Moral high ground yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What raised my eyebrows in the podcast is that Gillian explains that Femicide is all part gender inequality - murder is a final act of control - it's all part of a continuum of misogyny as exemplified in the recent Belfast rugby rape trial.

That view strikes me as a rather damming view of men. I would have though anyone who kills must be something of a psychopathy to some degree or other.

Interesting, as I remember listening to the same show and immediately this persons theories raised my eyebrow as well.

It was right out of the 3rd wave feminist handbook. She offered no science or studies to back up her claim that men killed women to 'control them'.

Did she have an explanation why men are still more likely to die from violence then men? I suppose they deserve it for the gall of having a penis.

Anyway, it seems that many feminist issues have a load of quacks and anti-science personal spouting off stuff that may feel right but are in fact wrong when put under any scrutiny.

Another example, they listed off the total number of women killed since 1996 or the like. Yet, the number of men killed since this time would be way way more, yet never mentioned it.

The issue should be mental health, not damming all men as would be murderers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

markodaly wrote: »
    Interesting, as I remember listening to the same show and immediately this persons theories raised my eyebrow as well.

It was right out of the 3rd wave feminist handbook. She offered no science or studies to back up her claim that men killed women to 'control them'.

Did she have an explanation why men are still more likely to die from violence then men? I suppose they deserve it for the gall of having a penis.

Anyway, it seems that many feminist issues have a load of quacks and anti-science personal spouting off stuff that may feel right but are in fact wrong when put under any scrutiny.

Another example, they listed off the total number of women killed since 1996 or the like. Yet, the number of men killed since this time would be way way more, yet never mentioned it.

Yeah, but they wouldn't get noticed by saying sensible things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Ipso wrote: »
    Yeah, but they wouldn't get noticed by saying sensible things.

Fear sells I suppose. There is certainly more fear from women towards men these days, despite the fact it has never been safer or better to be a female.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

markodaly wrote: »

I think she said that 88% were killed by men. No discussion as to the reasons of the other 12%. I found her whole tone and her spin on the subject to be shocking to be honest. She milked the Belfast rape trial texts for all it's worth as if that was conclusive evidence of what she was saying was true. Marian just went along with it without challenging her on anything at all which was equally shocking...what they hell are we paying her for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Did Marion sound drunk in that interview ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

This is homicide and is already illegal. Femicide must not be ignored or brushed under the carpet.

I think it's illegal too. If only under a different name.

Advertisement