Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Cloudy and mild after some light drizzle this am. Sky should clear soon enough. Sea temperatures have risen by a decent amount over the past week - up to about 12/13 C in the Irish sea and a degree or so warmer off the S and W coasts. Hopefully they will warm further over the next week.

Has been an anomalous past few weeks over Ireland but parts of southern Scandinavia seem to have taken the prize. Sunniest month ever in Denmark (averaged 11.5 hours daily), warmest May ever in Norway, various temp records broken all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

9th consecutive day that the temperature has reached 20c in West Clare. Just reached 20c now despite no sun, which in itself is extremely rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Cloud still covering the sky at Grange but hazy sun has appeared for the first time today.

EDIT: Now, it's turning very sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Raining here now, hate to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Sun is out here now. It's 21.0C and it's beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Nice day here suncroft Kildare mixture of overcast grey and broken cloud with some sun shine.
    Humid feel seems to be dropping all the while since early morning temperature just reached 20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Disappointing day here after a glorious week. Dull and cloudy no sun not near as humid feeling as the week gone by. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Looking at some stats for Shannon and for the period May 23rd (the date when this hell started) to June 1st, the mean temperature at the station this year stands at 17.10c, making it the highest mean for the period since its records began in 1945.

Other notable high mean temps at the station for the same time period: (long term mean = 12.8c for the period in question)

2012: 17.0c
    1992: 16.5c
    1997: 15.3c
    2001: 15.3c
    1991: 15.1c

In terms of mean maxima for the period, it currently stands at 22.9c (LTA = 17.0c), which is also the highest for the period on record, but surprisingly, mean minima this year, of which is standing at 11.3c (LTA = 8.6c), is seconded by the 12.4c back in 2012, which mercifully, is a memory that my mind seems to have shut away forever.

Data from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's very sunny in Dublin now after a cloudy start. I'm really frustrated because I can't enjoy it :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

23.9c in the garden and a nice clear sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dull and dark here after early thick fog. Not a flicker of the promised rain. West Mayo offshore island

Mostly sunny with clear skies to the east and cloud to the west. 22.8C after a recent high of 23.4C.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Warm and cloudy here in West Clare, I see very dark skies to my southwest, looking like a heavy shower on the radar. One or two breaks showing up in the cloud now, but not even a second of sun here yet.

Remarkably warm despite the cloud, 20.2c now with nothing but thick cloud all day. Really unusual weather for here.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Warm and cloudy here in West Clare, I see very dark skies to my southwest, looking like a heavy shower on the radar. One or two breaks showing up in the cloud now, but not even a second of sun here yet.

Remarkably warm despite the cloud, 20.2c now with nothing but thick cloud all day. Really unusual weather for here.

I remember the 15th July last year, it was just cloudy nearly all day with no sunshine at all yet the maximum temperature reached 24.2c at Dublin Airport and was its warmest day of July 2017. I hate those kinds of days where it's warm but cloudy, what a waste. 21st June 2017 was also a cloudy day here following a beautiful previous 4 days then with lots of sunshine yet it reached 28c at Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭joe199

Plenty of blue sky in santry feeling very hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Some difference in 24 hours, largely lightly overcast and er chilly in the wind!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very disappointing day here today, same as last weekend. Today's high at Dunshaughlin only reached 18C and mostly very cloudy. Had a heavy shower of rain about an hour ago. Feeling generally much cooler than recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

'Nother Blue Sky Day in the Costa Del Bray again! :D

...well since 1:30pm anyway. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Another beautiful day and no end in sight.

Continued continental influence for the forseeable, often very warm and sometimes thundery over the next week at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Raining here now, hate to see it

Thankfully only rained for about 10mins, sun is out now, lovely evening

• Advertisement

Lovely evening here. Sunny but some dark cloud to the southwest so probably not sunny for much longer. It's 19.7C now, falling slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

taking a sudden interest in weather in the Algarve as i am going there in a week, a quick check on the weather for next week and 22C is the highest they have for the weak ahead, London has a higher temperature for next week, is the Med having below average weather?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

silverharp wrote: »
    taking a sudden interest in weather in the Algarve as i am going there in a week, a quick check on the weather for next week and 22C is the highest they have for the weak ahead, London has a higher temperature for next week, is the Med having below average weather?

Yep, as I said a few days ago, Iberia is having cool conditions with the south of Scandinavia being warmer. Poland/southern Scandinavia and that area in general has been among the warmest places in Europe recently!

silverharp wrote: »

When there is high pressure over Scandinavia or the east drawing in an easterly flow to our shores, there's usually an area of low pressure over the Mediterranean somewhere which tends to bring cool and wet conditions. It's a balancing act with nature, when we don't get the cool and wet weather, somewhere else has to and in this case, it was the Mediterranean. Many of our best Summers tend to be poor weather wise down there because what they need to have the warm and dry conditions is low pressure over Ireland or to the northwest drawing in southwesterly winds. To the south, high pressure sits over southern Europe with this kind of pattern which gives Iberia the warm and dry conditions in a normal Summer. However, 2018 so far and for the first week of June anyway is not normal!

I hope nobody is throwing their toys out of the pram after my post in the FI charts thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

someone i know was there last week and they had rainy weather previous the week ahead doesnt look wet just meh though in my case i wont need to go in one of those reflective blankets...

https://www.google.ie/search?q=lagos+weather&rlz=1C1RNPN_enIE395&oq=lagos+weather&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.5293j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's midnight and it's 16.1c with 97% humidity and flat calm.

Bitchin'!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Grey and still and midgy... Need rain please. West Coast Mayo offshore

Sunny morning at Grange but a large heap of cloud close by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cloudy start but it suddenly broke in about 15 minutes and now it's blazingly warm in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Every single time we get a decent spell people are wishing it away within days
    We live in Ireland IT WILL RAIN AGAIN. It won’t stop for the rest of the year. There will be no drought.
    For Christ’s sake try and enjoy it . The winter will be long eno Thanks when it starts next month. Just like it did last year after a week of nice weather that had people moaning too
    Rant over

Advertisement