Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

What's the one with the brown strap, Eoin? My peepers aren't what they used to be - it's the only one I can't make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

What's the one with the brown strap, Eoin? My peepers aren't what they used to be - it's the only one I can't make out.

I thought Eoin had cut back on his watches, guess he's been holding out.

The brown strap caught my eye too, it's a Hamilton Jazzmaster Traveler GMT 2 H32625555. Another to add to the list :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That is a Hamilton GMT Traveller 2

8579654901_5b1c4a6d93_c.jpg
    HDMI wrote: »
    I thought Eoin had cut back on his watches, guess he's been holding out.

I am flipping a bit less frequently these days, and usually a one in/one out type thing. I've had the Hamilton for 3 or 4 years now though.

Chuffed to bits with this one. Before picking it up I wondered if I really wanted it, but when it's on the wrist it's lovely - the way the light hits off the crystal and the steel case. There's always something different about it. If the world could see it through my sunglasses, it'd be voted the coolest watch ever :)

My thanks to Richard - both for parting with it, and his patience through my being sick and misplacing my bloody bank card and not being able to meet up. A gent, as many of you already know.

I took the rubber strap off my 1967 diver for this one, think it looks really well (on both!) - i'll get a few better pics at the beach this weekend, I just couldn't wait to show it off! :pac:

452034.jpg

452036.jpg

Very, very cool

• Advertisement

Chuffed to bits with this one. Before picking it up I wondered if I really wanted it, but when it's on the wrist it's lovely - the way the light hits off the crystal and the steel case. There's always something different about it. If the world could see it through my sunglasses, it'd be voted the coolest watch ever :)

My thanks to Richard - both for parting with it, and his patience through my being sick and misplacing my bloody bank card and not being able to meet up. A gent, as many of you already know.

I took the rubber strap off my 1967 diver for this one, think it looks really well (on both!) - i'll get a few better pics at the beach this weekend, I just couldn't wait to show it off! :pac:

Thanks for the kind words, sorry to see that one go but needs must :(

You are correct when you say "it's when it's on the wrist", I honestly loved wearing that watch. The rubber strap looks real good too :)

Longines have being doing really well dipping into their back catalogue for ideas and have made very honest reissues. Along with your Heritage Chrono you have a really nice set that should cover all occasions.

Someday I will buy another LLD, perfect combination of dress watch come diver.

I have been very lucky through boards and adverts over the past few years and have made some really great friends. After I make my move to the US I will still check i and keep in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

Very jealous of that Longines. Its been on my wish list for a couple of years. Every time I have a few coins set aside my Oh finds a better use. I mean really, the grandchild doesn't need that many clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

After I make my move to the US

Hope you can make your big life move soon :)

Any tips for a fellow flipper? On picking up watches over there to wear for a bit and then sell on once back home? Going over there next week. Mostly Manhattan and Orlando. Bought a very sweet Seiko Turtle PADI in Macy's (of all places) last year and sold it on here on adverts a few months later for a tiny profit. I'm not in it for making money but I love wearing nice watches for a while and then letting them go to new owners, preferably without losing any money in the process :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

unkel wrote: »

Any tips for a fellow flipper? On picking up watches over there to wear for a bit and then sell on once back home? Going over there next week. Mostly Manhattan and Orlando. Bought a very sweet Seiko Turtle PADI in Macy's (of all places) last year and sold it on here on adverts a few months later for a tiny profit. I'm not in it for making money but I love wearing nice watches for a while and then letting them go to new owners, preferably without losing any money in the process :)

Would it work both ways? Buy an almost new one here and take it over there, new, they can get the vat back so you need to factor that in to your buying price here. Some ppl say German watches have trouble holding value over there, so might be better value?

Anyway seeing as we all want to see watch pics, here's a shot of my vintage box

452122.jpg

L-R Seiko Pogue, Seiko Navigator, both from 1970s.
    1959 Longines Conquest, gold filled with 19ASD movement.
    Longines Olympian, with a Record derived 508 quickset movement, I think it's from 1971, this has a see through caseback and has been over and back across the Atlantic more times than I have:p.
    Longines 285 cal hand winder from 1967,
    and a Longines 994.1 from the early 1980s, one of the last with an in-house movement. The 994 was very cheap as the stem was broken, but managed to find a new one on the bay, just have to muster the courage to have a go at putting it in now:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

unkel wrote: »

Any tips for a fellow flipper? On picking up watches over there to wear for a bit and then sell on once back home?

Thanks, hoping to be off mid July just trying to sort a few things before I book flights.

I think most would agree that unless your buying certain brands with waiting lists you lose money the moment you take the watch out the door. Keep an eye on Omega's website and pre-order their next special edition, the Speedy Tuesday seems to have made good money for their initial buyers as have most other special editions.

My preference is to buy gently pre owned from the USA and let the first owner lose the money. Have it shipped to my wife's parents and then get it forwarded. Then I get to wear the watch for a bit and still sell it on making a few quid in the process. I reinvest it as I have done over the past few years so my habit... sorry hobby is financially self sustaining. I rarely buy knowing I can't make money or at least break even. The exception is a Padi turtle that I wanted to buy main Seiko dealer with proper alignment so I paid 300 euro from Germany.

I am just very cautious when buying, but I am active on watchforums like tz-uk and watchuseek always looking for the next no risk watch. Choosing a favourite brand and following trends can give you a chance at picking the next rare one. I love Seiko, it's a low price risk outlay if you buy the right watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Seeing the Seiko Pogue has brought back a memory from when I was 14.I found one of these on the road,but due to being poor as,I sold it for three pounds.
    Please tell me they haven't appreciated much since.

Something a little different, I've been looking for one of these for a while but could never find one for sale. I placed a WTB on TZ and finally got an offer.

Smiths PRS-40, 40MM case 8mm thick and 53mm lug to lug.

x3Ix1zl.jpg

LbcDGSv.jpg

BTW, in case people don't realise, not everyone's browser resizes massive photos to fit their screen.
    vandriver wrote: »
    I sold it for three pounds. Please tell me they haven't appreciated much since.

ouch
    giphy.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

vandriver wrote: »
    Seeing the Seiko Pogue has brought back a memory from when I was 14.I found one of these on the road,but due to being poor as,I sold it for three pounds.
    Please tell me they haven't appreciated much since.

Hope you're sitting down

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=seiko+pogue&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_sop=16

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Eoin wrote: »
    BTW, in case people don't realise, not everyone's browser resizes massive photos to fit their screen.

Stop wasting money on watches and get a decent computer or phone. :pac::pac::D

D0LaMhL.jpg

Stop wasting money on watches and get a decent computer or phone. :pac::pac::D

That’s the thing though - it’s an MBP and I only use chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

blue5000 wrote: »
    I only had it for 6 months,but loved it more than any other watch and always harboured thoughts of buying one.....
    Damn

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

blue5000 wrote: »
    Bloody hell! :eek: They've gone nuts in price. I had one a few years back(2012) and didn't get on with it at all(never been a fan of autos and the lack of hand winding ground my gears. As it were... :D). Cost me 150 quid. And at the time 300 quid was a good one. Clearly there are some parts of the vintage market that are still buoyant.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

As part of the deal I done with Frankie5Angels for my Legend Diver I got his Hamilton Pan Europ. This is a lovely light watch which wears really comfortable and it makes a nice change to have a different dial colour in the box.

oyNcHK1l.jpg

Big shout out to Visa for saving me today while I was down in Kildare Village in the Hour Passion store. Visa was down for a bit so I couldn't make a purchase. Just as well though because they told me that if my wife brings her American passport and we use our US Visa card we can have a vat free purchase and an extra discount of 10% next time.

Eoin is the photo sized better? I have tried large thumbnail on Imgur, hopefully it works better for everyone.

Eoin is the photo sized better? I have tried large thumbnail on Imgur, hopefully it works better for everyone.

Perfect, many thanks! And cracking watch too - a nice trade for both of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

I got engaged recently and my wife to be insisted on a gift. I was thorn between This, a speedmaster and a seamaster. ultimately this is the one that looked right for me.

452340.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Nice tag I sold a similar one l sold my blue one last week
    Get the seamaster next you won’t regret it the newer version with the ceramic bezel looks great on the wrist

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Nice tag I sold a similar one l sold my blue one last week
    Get the seamaster next you won’t regret it the newer version with the ceramic bezel looks great on the wrist

I went in to town fully expecting to pick the omega but as soon as I tried this on I just got the wow factor. it suits me to a tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

barrier86 wrote: »
    I got engaged recently and my wife to be insisted on a gift. .

I'm still waiting on my feckin gift and I'm married five year!! Well wear - looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

barrier86 wrote: »
    I got engaged recently and my wife to be insisted on a gift.
    Keep her...you might get a watch every anniversary :pac::pac::pac:

Keep her...you might get a watch every anniversary :pac::pac::pac:

she's a keeper.

off topic but I was more excited popping the question than I was getting my watch. a magical moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Had to post. €450 on eBay incl delivery. Very handsome watch.

20180602_125753-e1528014183121.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

That's a nice Hamilton. Which model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Ionised wrote: »
    That's a nice Hamilton. Which model is it?

Thanks. I'm delighted with it. Its a Khaki Navy Pioneer Small Seconds.

I was look for ages for a Marine / Deck style watch but they can be quite big in diameter. This one, however, is only 40mm and it doesn't cut off any of the Arabic numbers. Its a lovely piece.

• Advertisement

A few snaps, so sorry in advance if I'm boring yis :D

I tried to get to the beach the weekend for a shot, but beers outside the mobile is all i managed :pac: Aptly named beer :P

452544.jpg

New shoes for the LLD. Like Richard said in an earlier post, this does well as a dress watch so I fancied something for that purpose. Hirsch Lucca golden brown strap.

452541.jpg

452542.jpg

452543.jpg

Lastly, since others are doing it, a group shot. Everyone got new shoes except the O1G. First ever NATO straps, love the one on the 516, but not too keen on the one I have for the '67 diver. The one on the Aviation is grand!

452545.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement