Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dsaint1 wrote: »
    My Flightmaster using focus bracketing to capture all the detail. I see these on nato / leather all the time but I like the bracelet.
    Bugger me, but that's a bloody fantastic photo D. :eek: Nice watch with it.
    Spocker wrote: »
    First post here, so going to make it an oldie - my mechanical Timex from ~1980 or so, which was given to me by my Dad for my communion, which I overwound at some stage, and fecked in a drawer.

Fast forward to last year, I sent it off to Tullys in Galway for a refurb and new strap, and managed to surprise both my 8 year old on his first communion recently (once I'd explained it belonged to me), and my Dad, who came for the day :)
    :) I love that kind of watch and story. I still have my first watch, a French Mortima "divers" I got from my folks on holiday in Spain back in the 70's. I loved that thing to death. Looks like it's been thrown in a blender and doesn't work(pure dirt pin pallet movement), but no way would I ever part with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Cyrus wrote: »
    I’ve had the blue Gv twice believe it or not , it’s lovely deffo the nicest Milgauss and you’d think the blue and green wouldn’t work !

How much did it set you back? Do you still have it by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Wibbs wrote: »
    Bugger me, but that's a bloody fantastic photo D. :eek: Nice watch with it.

Off to google focus bracketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mad m wrote: »
    How much did it set you back? Do you still have it by any chance?

no the last one i had i bought from watchfinder brand new for £4.6k , that was dec 16, im sure its a bit more now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

no the last one i had i bought from watchfinder brand new for £4.6k , that was dec 16, im sure its a bit more now...

That was a good deal...love the GMT2 btw...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭The_Guvnor

From a 14060M at 23, to a 16710 at 30, to a 116613LN at 40, and hopefully to my grail; 228238 at 50.
    Better to be someone for a day than no one for a lifetime.
    https://ibb.co/hFwwVJhFwwVJ

That was a good deal...love the GMT2 btw...

the prices have gotten crazy over the past 12 months on stainless steel rolex :(

From a 14060M at 23, to a 16710 at 30, to a 116613LN at 40, and hopefully to my grail; 228238 at 50.
    Better to be someone for a day than no one for a lifetime.
    https://ibb.co/hFwwVJhFwwVJ

Careful now...Archieluxury proves that the watch does not make the man

the prices have gotten crazy over the past 12 months on stainless steel rolex :(

Rolex has reduced the supply in Europe of steel sports pieces (while flooding America and Asia with them). This has created a supply drought as demand increases. They also increased prices, which further compounds the problem as grey market dealers can now sell pieces for more than the original RRP.
    For example, this year I bought a 114060 (after being on a list for 12 months) for £5450 GBP (6250 Euro). The Irish RRP is 7K Euro. Soon after buying it I was offered 7.5K for it; which I duly accepted, and gained the 1250 Euro net profit. The buyer was happy to pay over the 7K Irish RRP for it as it was brand new, and avoided the typical 12 month waiting list in Ireland/UK for a steel sports piece.
    In comparison I was quoted a 4 month wait for my two-tone Submariner 116613LN, but after one month on a waiting list I was emailed to say my piece was ready for collection. Again, 1300 Euro saving by buying from the UK rather than Ireland.
    So the waiting times on steel sports pieces are lengthening all the time; but on two-tone, and full gold pieces the times are less due to less demand.
    Rolex have reduced the production of steel sports pieces to create this drought, and increase waiting times; while increasing prices.
    Now compare that to an Omega Seamaster. One sees a piece in the window, walks in, purchases it. No waiting list.
    But that Seamaster then drops 30% of its value etc. Whereas a Submariner gains 30%+ of its value etc.

The Pontiff is a legend.

• Advertisement

The Pontiff is a legend.

While I agree with some of this comments, and he has excellent taste in watches, the man obviously suffers from mental illness and lives in a delusional dream world where his obsession with watches stopped him sorting out the shambles that is his life. He has no class, grace or social skills and is a sexual miscreant. He is merely a custodian of a watch collection owned by credit card companies. Not to be emulated IMHO.

While I agree with some of this comments, and he has excellent taste in watches, the man obviously suffers from mental illness and lives in a delusional dream world where his obsession with watches stopped him sorting out the shambles that is his life. He has no class, grace or social skills and is a sexual miscreant. He is merely a custodian of a watch collection owned by credit card companies. Not to be emulated IMHO.

60K in debt on credit cards at 45 to fund his watch addiction.
    Agreed, that is nothing to aspire to.
    I find his rants amusing. However, I genuinely believe he suffers with Asperger syndrome and/or Tourettes.
    The nervous cough is a tick, as is getting stuck on certain words and repeating them.
    We all know Archie is Paul Pluta method acting; but there is a lot of projection in his personality; which to me says he is depressed.
    Often comedians and performers have depressive real personalities; and the performance is an escape for them.
    With TGV, one can see he suffers with OCD. The white gloves and habitual crystal wiping when reviewing; to the specific arrangement of his pocket knife and pieces when doing a; state of the collection.
    So I have come to the conclusion that often watch collectors have some mental health problems.
    However I find both Archie and TGV amusing to watch at times; one shouldn't take them too seriously. They are just watch guys at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyway back on topic......

453852.jpg

Steinhart OVM beside the ocean at Lahinch on the wild Atlantic way. I managed to get a loan of it from the wife for the weekend.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Heres one of my hulk with a matching shirt :p

23734359_164824284258083_2780867448713248768_n.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yay, back to watch piccies. My wrist jewellery today. Yet another diver. Humming, not ticking.

453853.jpg

Longines Ultronic Diver from 1972. I find this gets a lot of my wrist time. It's generally one of my three grab and go everyday watches. The smoooooth second hand is mesmerising and it's extremely legible. It's got about the most heft of my watches. Very solid. Still passes original advertised water resistance*, which isn't bad going for a non screw down crown. Not having to wind it helps there mind you. And one of the very few vintage watches I have owned where I have the history of the original owner of it. I got it from his family.

*Though I've been lucky that way. My 60's LIP Nautic with the compressor case does too, as have my vintage Vostoks(brilliant waterproofing design IMH) and my old Yema diver, though they're built like remarkably slimline tanks. 600 metres and not much thicker than a dress watch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

blue5000 wrote: »

Steinhart OVM beside the ocean at Lahinch on the wild Atlantic way. I managed to get a loan of it from the wife for the weekend.

Excellent piece. Is yours a V3? I just sold mine. Often people sell them on when they find the straight lugs don't suit their smaller wrists; but mine are 8" so I wore it on the bracelet. Great quality/value pieces. I also had a green Ocean One which I have removed the cyclops from for a cleaner look. For 395 Euro they cannot be beaten really. Wear yours in good health.

Excellent piece. Is yours a V3? I just sold mine. Often people sell them on when they find the straight lugs don't suit their smaller wrists; but mine are 8" so I wore it on the bracelet. Great quality/value pieces. I also had a green Ocean One which I have removed the cyclops from for a cleaner look. For 395 Euro they cannot be beaten really. Wear yours in good health.

Thanks. Ver 1, but that photo doesn't do the black dial any justice. I'll have to try photographing it again. Would you be tempted to go for a 39mm?

Agree with you on the value for money, not too many Swiss made auto watches with an ETA movement available under €500.

Thanks. Ver 1, but that photo doesn't do the black dial any justice. I'll have to try photographing it again. Would you be tempted to go for a 39mm?

Agree with you on the value for money, not too many Swiss made auto watches with an ETA movement available under €500.

Lovely black dial on the V1. The V3 is slightly lighter but I preferred it to the grey V2 they made a mistake with. I have 8" wrists so have to go for 42mm.
    Agreed they are unbeatable at the price. Only a Glycine Combat Sub could rival them really. To get an ETA2824-2 in a 400 Euro piece is great quality/value.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cheap watch time. Got this watch about 10 years ago and only really getting into watches recently and wearing one again. It was lying in a drawer most of that time so fished it out a few months ago and replaced the horrible metal strap for something a bit different.

Definitely going to pick up another Russian watch soon.

3OqFpxt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The Pontiff is a legend.

whos he?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

whos he?

Archieluxery youtube channel....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

He kinda reminds me of you Fitzgeme!!

He kinda reminds me of you Fitzgeme!!

Thats a lie, I have lousy taste in watches.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Fixed that for ya because I think you're all a bunch of Archie's deep down :D

Put's on flame retardant suit :eek::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Went digging this out due to comments on other thread ...

11tvjm9.jpg

art wrote: »
    Went digging this out due to comments on other thread ...

What are the gemstones made from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Shiny stuff! No idea, bought it at auction about twenty years ago, got it cleaned and serviced and still working well today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

dsaint1 wrote: »
    My Flightmaster using focus bracketing to capture all the detail. I see these on nato / leather all the time but I like the bracelet.

That’s a hell of a watch and a hell of a photo, but is it useful? I’m trying to think of a reason I would fiddle with my wristwatch and probably do mental arithmetic in the left seat instead of pulling out the E6B.

Yippee, this made my day, I got a 'like' from Gunter Steinhart for this pic on another forum:D. I'm glad he likes his watches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭GooseB

Sea swimming, Armida A9 300m
    40883166310_26fb9b1c37_b.jpg
    40883164330_14968a51f6_b.jpg
    40883170980_f3d6a6af1b_b.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement