Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I got a colour GU10 for my front door spot and knew it would be bigger than the current fitting. Can anyone recommend a good gu10 fitting for the hue colour bulb?

This type should do you

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MiniSun-Polished-Ceiling-Downlight-Fitting/dp/B00J2UCVGU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522763838&sr=8-4&keywords=spot+light+fitting+gu10

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

All of Ikes's fittings are compatible. I'm still using the first gen app as i find it considerably better than the new one. i have 4 sections of the led strip and at lease 1 hue bulb in each room. Geofencing turns on the lights when i arrive home and off when i leave. I don't need to take my phone out as Siri voice control can make any changes i need. I have a bright/tungsten type state for cleaning and multiple other states for any nocturnal activity. I don'y have any switches or motion sensors as i've never needed them

Hue GU10 White & Colour Ambiance single bulb - £36.95 (lowest I've ever seen them)

Hue GU10 White & Colour Ambiance down to £31.97

I'm putting 10 White Ambiance GU10's in my mothers kitchen, so I bought 3 twin packs yesterday (as part of the 3 for 2 deal), as well as 4 White & Colour GU10's (3 of which were part of the 3 for 2 deal). I'll take the 4 White Ambiance GU10's from my own landing, and replace them with the colour ones (big overkill, I know), and add those 4 to the 6 I ordered to make up the 10 for my mothers kitchen!!

edit: and just as I look on Amazon, the twin pack has reduced from £50 to £43 meaning I could have saved £14 on the order!, and its too late to cancel the order!!

I just called them and they suggested to order again at the new lower price, and then return the more expensive ones when they arrive!!

It's interesting that the 1m Light Strip extensions now come with a little connection/extension piece to allow it turn corners better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 denisfarran

Hi folks.

Just wondering if anyone has found any Ikea country store which sells the Ikea colour bulbs without the dimmer. €18 for the dimmer, so €22 for the colour would be fantastic.

I presume the Ikea dimmer still doesn’t show up as a Hue accessory in the Hue app.

Just starting with lights & got the 2 bulb white starter kit on for @60, and the dimming kit for €30, on Amazon Warehouse.

Have a couple of €10 Ikea bulbs on the way, along with an €18 clear ambiance, to see what they’re like.

Also have a Tado thermostat downstairs for about a month. Very impressive piece of kit. Installing another upstairs this afternoon. Unfortunately, this entails a bit of wiring as the current thermostat is very poorly located.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

just incase anyones interested in the philips hue bloom.

its priced 60e in harvey norman and 70 in DID.

With DIDs, price match guarantee, they will give you double the difference back as a credit note.

Got 2 blooms today for 140 but got a 40e credit note back, gonna get a lightstrip with it.

just incase anyones interested in the philips hue bloom.

its priced 60e in harvey norman and 70 in DID.

With DIDs, price match guarantee, they will give you double the difference back as a credit note.

Got 2 blooms today for 140 but got a 40e credit note back, gonna get a lightstrip with it.

I got 2 last year from Amazon when they were down to £30! Took a few months for them to arrive, and they’re still both sitting in their box not being used, but they’ll come out for special occasions like Halloween etc..

I've been looking at the new Hue Outdoor Lily Spots!

After several failed attempts at doing garden lights (12v set from Woodies that lasted 2 years & crap solar ones) I was thinking that the Hue ones would hopefully be of good enough quality to last the test of time.

The 3 spot starter set (£275) would have to be bought, as it also comes with the power supply/transformer as well as the cable, and then it appears you can add extension spots (£80), although they don't say how many you can add to a base unit!

If I do it, I'm thinking 4/5 would be enough, but fcuk me its a lot of money for some garden lights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

I got 2 last year from Amazon when they were down to £30! Took a few months for them to arrive, and they’re still both sitting in their box not being used, but they’ll come out for special occasions like Halloween etc..

Will have to keep an eye out for them at the price so, thanks!

• Advertisement

I've been looking at the new Hue Outdoor Lily Spots!

After several failed attempts at doing garden lights (12v set from Woodies that lasted 2 years & crap solar ones) I was thinking that the Hue ones would hopefully be of good enough quality to last the test of time.

The 3 spot starter set (£275) would have to be bought, as it also comes with the power supply/transformer as well as the cable, and then it appears you can add extension spots (£80), although they don't say how many you can add to a base unit!

If I do it, I'm thinking 4/5 would be enough, but fcuk me its a lot of money for some garden lights!!

Turns out you can have a maximum of 5 spots on 1 Lily base unit!

Hue App 3.0 is now available on both iOS & Android.

Nice and clean, and gives a much easier user interface without changing too much.

Hue Sync now available for PC & Mac

Sync movies or music with your lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Hue Sync now available for PC & Mac

Sync movies or music with your lights.

Looks like they've nailed it. I synced it with my 6 colour bulbs, desktop pc, battlefield 1,and headphones.

Suddenly my living room felt like the battle of the somme.

I like how "Subtle -> Intense" are the options!!

Funny turning it on while browsing the my living room changing colour as I changed tabs :D:D:D

Completely unnecessary.

I love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Does it work with casting? I want to sync with the tv, not the laptop

Netflix won't play on my Mac Mini or iMac if I have screen sync turned on (I assume Netflix knows the screen is being mirrored, and won't play), a suggestion from the facebook page was to use Chrome (I've only ever used Safari on mac), so I might give that a try.

I did sit in bed though watching some youtube videos, and it was very impressive (particularly when watching music/DJ sets, with the 'use audio' function enabled!!) Bedroom was like a disco (2 bedside colour bulbs & a Bloom behind the TV). She was even impressed with it.

The lights even strobed when the strobe lights came on at the club.

I've only had a brief play around with it, but I'm very impressed so far.

Netflix won't play on my Mac Mini or iMac if I have screen sync turned on (I assume Netflix knows the screen is being mirrored, and won't play), a suggestion from the facebook page was to use Chrome (I've only ever used Safari on mac), so I might give that a try.

I did sit in bed though watching some youtube videos, and it was very impressive (particularly when watching music/DJ sets, with the 'use audio' function enabled!!) Bedroom was like a disco (2 bedside colour bulbs & a Bloom behind the TV). She was even impressed with it.

The lights even strobed when the strobe lights came on at the club.

I've only had a brief play around with it, but I'm very impressed so far.

I've massive HDMI cable so will wire my desktop to the tv and setup "entertainment" section around my TV and see how it fairs.

I've one bloom behind the TV though and supposedly that's not "great" for it due to the duller colours?

Shlippery wrote: »
    I've one bloom behind the TV though and supposedly that's not "great" for it due to the duller colours?

Bloom behind my TV looked pretty epic last night!! and besides, how bright would you want the light behind the TV anyway? the focus should be on the TV, not teh walls behind it!!

I have 2 Blooms behind 2 TV's in teh house, and they are excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Has anyone got one of the Philips Ambilight TV's ? I presume they can sync with the hue lights in the room

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Has anyone got one of the Philips Ambilight TV's ? I presume they can sync with the hue lights in the room
    I don't have an ambilight TV but I thought you could already link hue lights if you had an ambilight TV way before this update\release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Yes you can

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

I have one (one strip each side), I have a bloom behind it also to "amplify" the effect because it's stuck in a corner instead of flat on the wall.

The bloom syncs perfectly & is very effective. I had some other bulbs synced but found the experience quite jarring. Much better coming from behind the TV.

Music mode is also fantastic...so accurate with the reactions!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Shlippery wrote: »
    Music mode is also fantastic...so accurate with the reactions!

What does music mode sync up to?

matrim wrote: »
    What does music mode sync up to?

Music... (via iTunes/YouTube or whatever)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

• Registered Users Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

2 outdoor Lily extensions just arrived!!

Starter kit won’t be here though until Wednesday, and the starter kit contains the power supply so for now I’ve got 2 expensive paper weights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

How much Andy?

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    How much Andy?

Too much!!

Starter kit arrived today, and I've just installed them (5 in total), so lets see how they look tonight!!

Advertisement