Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

brt for dublin?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Lots of really good sounding stuff on that site, it would be brilliant if it all happened. Of course the devil is in the detail. We will have to wait and see the detailed plans and then if they are actually actioned on.[/QUOTE]

well i'll give them one thing, between metrolink and bus connects, the nta really know how to hype things up and build up people's expectations. If they don't deliver itll be a huge waste of money and another example of a government quango making a bollix of things. I hope it doesn't come to that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tom1ie wrote: »
    well i'll give them one thing, between metrolink and bus connects, the nta really know how to hype things up and build up people's expectations. If they don't deliver itll be a huge waste of money and another example of a government quango making a bollix of things. I hope it doesn't come to that.

In fairness to them, they have a really good track record so far in delivering on projects. Well them and TII, they work closely together.

Don't get me wrong, all their projects haven't been perfect or always on time, but in general public transport has greatly improved over the last 15 years.

- The licensing of multiple intercity coach operates has mostly been a massive success. The quality of service in all respects offered by the new operators is VASTLY superior to BE and has lead to up to 60% increase in journeys on these routes. I love it and so do most who take them. Dublin Coach is the only fly in that ointment.

- Luas has been a massive success, 98% public approval rating. A great example of modern transport and people love it. Some bumpy patches over the last 6 months with the introduction of Luas Cross City, but even those seem to be getting worked out.

- Lots of other smaller modernisation projects, RTPI, Leap, GT/SG class buses, double deckers in Cork City, new bus stops and shelters in Cork City, journey planner apps, etc. All very good stuff.

Frankly we have seen more positive change in public transport over the last 15 years, then the 40 years before it. Still loads more to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

bk wrote: »
    I
    - The licensing of multiple intercity coach operates has mostly been a massive success. The quality of service in all respects offered by the new operators is VASTLY superior to BE and has lead to up to 60% increase in journeys on these routes. I love it and so do most who take them. Dublin Coach is the only fly in that ointment.

Could you explain why Dublin Coach is a fly in the ointment? I've found their service to be great and the quickest option for Dublin to Belfast...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Could you explain why Dublin Coach is a fly in the ointment? I've found their service to be great and the quickest option for Dublin to Belfast...

This stems from conversations over on the C&T forum. I've no personal experience of using them.

Yes, their service to Belfast is excellent, with brand new coaches, but this is because they face lots of competition on this route.

Their services to Limerick and the rest of the country are pretty poor. They are mostly using very old coaches and there are almost daily reports of these coaches breaking down. About a handful of coaches have also caught fire over the last year or so!

Maintenance, cleaning and presentation seems to be very poor on these routes.

On the Limerick route they face no direct competition and that seems to have lead them to operate a poor service overall.

On the Cork and Galway routes, the NTA allows two companies to operate the route, but with 30 minutes between each departure. This seems to work well, enough competition that both companies stay on their toes and have decent quality of coach and service, while not too much competition that leads to nasty bus wars.

On the Limerick route you see what happens when one company ends up with a monopoly and thus poor service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Thanks for that, I had heard some stories about their buses catching fire, I'd always be in favour of ensuring the routes always have some well regulated competition to ensure quality. If there are going to be dedicated QBCs for Busconnects then it should be done properly, maybe only NTA/TII approved services can use the lanes, definitely will require bus lane cameras for enforcement etc.

Thanks for that, I had heard some stories about their buses catching fire, I'd always be in favour of ensuring the routes always have some well regulated competition to ensure quality. If there are going to be dedicated QBCs for Busconnects then it should be done properly, maybe only NTA/TII approved services can use the lanes, definitely will require bus lane cameras for enforcement etc.

Just to point out Dublin Coach is a fully licensed service with the NTA, as are pretty much all coach and bus services that operate in Ireland. I'm not exactly sure how they ended up with a monopoly on the Limerick route, it seems to have been just an unfortunate turn of events there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

tom1ie wrote: »

It's all well and good the NTA designing and planning stuff but if the Government don't bother funding these projects or prioritise policial stroke projects ahead of them there's nothing the NTA can do.

How many times has the various incarnations of Metro been designed, only for it not to be funded.

The ratio of designed projects in filing cabinets to built projects in the NRA/now TII must be around 10:1. Cork-Limerick is now entering it's 3rd design since 2000.

Advertisement