Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

just struck as such an obvious thing in hindsight, with the reversing radars so many modern cars have, why only enable it while the car is reversing (which is the way it works on mine)

I presume because it would be like admitting to a flaw in the car design if the car is going forward and it has blindspots. People are more ready to accept blindspots while reversing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

just struck as such an obvious thing in hindsight, with the reversing radars so many modern cars have, why only enable it while the car is reversing (which is the way it works on mine)

Because they could charge more for it :D

It's usually meant for motorway use... interesting that it works when stationary (at least toyota's implementation of it).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the car may not have been completely stationary at the time, but i was certainly moving past it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bp_me wrote: »
    Because they could charge more for it :D

It's usually meant for motorway use... interesting that it works when stationary (at least toyota's implementation of it).
    https://www.toyota.com/priusprime/priusprime-features/
    the 'watching out for you' section - i suspect i misread the icon displayed, thought it was a pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've driven past cars on the motorway and I've seen the blindspot indicator light up within the wing mirror as I went through it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    What happens when a mod questions a mod?

Explosions.

it's like when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Not wishing to invade on anyone's privacy but crosstownk has not posted here for a few months and nothing up on Strava since February. I used to meet him regularly on the road but haven't seen him for some time now. Hope all is well S.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

nee wrote: »
    Explosions.

In the sky?

The only way to sort out arguments between Cycling forum and Motors forum mods is a race across city at rush hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The only way to sort out arguments between Cycling forum and Motors forum mods is a race across city at rush hour.

Get the Baron out again, he's got a great record in these things.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Get the C+T mods to do it by bus and LUAS

Skoda explains how it works: “There will be two lines of cyclists, males on one side and females on the other.

“A whistle will be blown by a road captain every three to four minutes.

“This is where the top right hand side cyclist peels off and drops to back and all on the right move up a place. This way everyone gets a chance to meet each other.

“It’s an opportunity to meet like-minded people with the same or similar interests. It’s all about men and women who love cycling. Sounds great, right?”
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cycling-speed-dating-skoda-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"“A whistle will be blown by a road captain every three to four minutes."
    Ah, so they're selecting for stamina, eh? :D

€40 for a 60k spin around Blessington? :eek: Jaysus.

The small print is not encouraging:

"**Please note that ŠKODA Ireland will do our very best to allocate you to the correct age group but may not be guaranteed**

Please note by agreeing to participate, you agree to be filmed and photographed at this event. By agreeing to participate you also agree for this content to be used on ŠKODA Ireland and We love Cycling IRL social media channels."

I'd also judge the fcuk out of someone else's riding style. Could be the perfect person, but if they couldn't hold their line/ride steady/are all over the bike/can't ride in a group properly etc. it'd be a no go. This thing would appear to be an impediment rather than an encouragement to pedally romance! Although they would get bonus points for style and skillz in fairness.

€40 for a 60k spin around Blessington? :eek: Jaysus.

The small print is not encouraging:

"**Please note that ŠKODA Ireland will do our very best to allocate you to the correct age group but may not be guaranteed**"

I'd judge the fcuk out of someone else's riding style. Could be the perfect person, but if they couldn't hold their line/ride steady/are all over the bike/can't ride in a group properly etc. it'd be a no go. Although they would get bonus points for skillz. This thing would appear to be an impediment rather than an encouragement to pedally romance!

Sure €40 is a cheap date. This way you get many dates for it :P

Sure €40 is a cheap date. This way you get many dates for it :P

:pac: It's a pricey coffee :eek: :p

It's not a bad idea in fairness, but jaysus it's pricey and the whole filming thing is mad. I wonder what numbers they'll get. Or what future champions will result!

:pac: It's a pricey coffee :eek: :p

It's not a bad idea in fairness, but jaysus it's pricey and the whole filming thing is mad. I wonder what numbers they'll get. Or what future champions will result!

It's really interesting all right. The filming is weird but look at all the crap reality TV. People want to have their mug on screen no matter how embarrassing. Skoda seem to be trying to capitalise on that.

I've never been to any kind of dating event but I always pictured them as having at least 10 men to every woman. There appears to be more male cyclists than female. So I don't think the ratio will be skewed.

It's really interesting all right. The filming is weird but look at all the crap reality TV. People want to have their mug on screen no matter how embarrassing. Skoda seem to be trying to capitalise on that.

I've never been to any kind of dating event but I always pictured them as having at least 10 men to every woman. There appears to be more male cyclists than female. So I don't think the ratio will be skewed.

Ya was thinking same. Maybe they should have made it free for women in time honoured night club fashion :pac:.
    It could be great if you're a gay man maybe?

Ya was thinking same. Maybe they should have made it free for women in time honoured night club fashion :pac:.
    It could be great if you're a gay man maybe?

:eek: Don't be saying things like that on Boards. This is our safe zone. It will attract a certain crew that will scream inequality against men.

• Advertisement

:eek: Don't be saying things like that on Boards. This is our safe zone. It will attract a certain crew that will scream inequality against men.

I think I might be one of them :eek:

*those nights are a joke, and sexist to be fair. I never went to one on principle.

P_1 wrote: »
    Kinda don't want to ruin this perfect symmetrical stat for the month by cycling againot this month...
    must be something in the air...
    452141.png

Where are you getting that monthly summary?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Where are you getting that monthly summary?

It's on the Android App, go to the feed and select "You". It'll be up on the top of the screen.

Have to say I'm pretty impressed with this.

yeah, i couldn't find the option in strava in the browser.

strava seems glitchy this evening. wasn't loading properly earlier, and one segment i cycled on the way home, it's telling me that i did it in my second best time (1m57s); and my PR on it is 2m02s.

strava seems glitchy this evening. wasn't loading properly earlier, and one segment i cycled on the way home, it's telling me that i did it in my second best time (1m57s); and my PR on it is 2m02s.

Great Scott!! You broke the time continuum!

strava seems glitchy this evening..
    It's also preventing Veloviewer from accessing its information.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I finally tipped over 1000km for a month on Strava, but then remembered I'd done some testing on some Zwift competitors.

It's a hollow victory, but still....ha I just gone out those 2 days I'd have probably done another 100k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Weepsie wrote: »
    I finally tipped over 1000km for a month on Strava, but then remembered I'd done some testing on some Zwift competitors.

It's a hollow victory, but still....ha I just gone out those 2 days I'd have probably done another 100k

Same... I'm 1068 for the month.

Advertisement