Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24/7 candidates for the next general election.

• 26-05-2018 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Just interested to hear peoples oponion on the next general election. With our 4 tds being as useful as tits on a bull, if 4 24/7 cardiac care campaigners were to run, would they have any chance of getting elected. I would certainly give them my 1, 2, 3 and 4 on the card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

Just interested to hear peoples oponion on the next general election. With our 4 tds being as useful as tits on a bull, if 4 24/7 cardiac care campaigners were to run, would they have any chance of getting elected. I would certainly give them my 1, 2, 3 and 4 on the card.

I think Cullinane is pretty effective. I would like to see Eddie Mulligan elected. Butler I really don't know much about so nothing particular to impress me, similarly Halligan. As an issue it would definitely return at least one TD and would certainly be a factor for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

What difference would four 24/7 cardiac care TD’s make? They would have no power, unless the numbers in the Dáil caused the need for the government to do a deal with independents which may even not happen.

The best bet for 24/7 cardiac care is if Paudie Coffey was to be returned as a TD and became a full minister at some point. Frankly hate FG for the way they have treated Waterford since they have been in government this time around. However, realistically having a full minister is how you get your problems solved in this country, need or right mean nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Waste of a td IMO...govt won't need/ bother with a single td when they can deal with other parties.elect a decent td who will be in the party of govt best option and put useless table bangers like halligan out.agree with 2 posters above, not electing coffey was so stupid its hard to credit, cullinane is a good speaker and yeah for FF I'd like to see eddie muligan get nod.hard to say at this stage but if election tomorrow FG would be biggest party so coffey is our best opportunity. If FG went in with SF you'd imagine cullinane would be in the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Waste of a td IMO...govt won't need/ bother with a single td when they can deal with other parties.elect a decent td who will be in the party of govt best option and put useless table bangers like halligan out.agree with 2 posters above, not electing coffey was so stupid its hard to credit, cullinane is a good speaker and yeah for FF I'd like to see eddie muligan get nod.hard to say at this stage but if election tomorrow FG would be biggest party so coffey is our best opportunity. If FG went in with SF you'd imagine cullinane would be in the mix.

Wasn't Paudie backing a no vote yesterday? Very small pool of votes to get a seat from.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I think Cullinane is pretty effective. I would like to see Eddie Mulligan elected. Butler I really don't know much about so nothing particular to impress me, similarly Halligan. As an issue it would definitely return at least one TD and would certainly be a factor for me.

What has he achieved?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    What has he achieved?

He has achieved nothing.

The only td to achieve anything for waterford in recent times has been paudie coffey and it was a big mistake by the people of waterford not reelecting him. Instead we elected the likes of deasy and butler.

Really none of our 4 tds are up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I had actually completely forgotten that we had Deasy as one of our TDs.

Completely and utterly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

fitzeyboy. wrote: »
    Wasn't Paudie backing a no vote yesterday? Very small pool of votes to get a seat from.

Yeah he was a no vote and a lot of my friends along with myself will never vote for him.

deisemum wrote: »
    Yeah he was a no vote and a lot of my friends along with myself will never vote for him.

Is he not entitled to vote no? How does that disqualify him from being a TD? I'm not sure what his personal views have to do with his ability to get things done for the region.

I wouldn't hold it against him, he did a lot of positive in his time and has potential again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

You can scream 'Cardiac Care' and make promises until the cows come home but in reality our elected representatives couldn't whip up an ice cream! There is no one in Waterford with any political clout....whatsoever! All yes men!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

Deiseen wrote: »
    I had actually completely forgotten that we had Deasy as one of our TDs.

Completely and utterly useless.

oh but he has been very busy:(
    ://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/leo-varadkar-appoints-john-deasy-as-special-us-envoy-1.3139557

Here's a thought. The latest opinion polls show that the strengthening SF vote makes a coalition more likely next time round. Now FF and FG may make noise about never sharing power with SF but I think that either Leo or Micheal could do a deal with Mary Lou.

In that scenario, let's say Leo is the more pragmatic, you could end up with Paudie Coffey and David Callinane in the Cabinet (Callinane on the basis of his good work on the PAC).

Happy days for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

I wouldn't vote for anyone who is just promising cardiac care.

What Waterford needs is a minister who actual does his job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Gardner

not a hope in hell would i vote for a 24/7 candidate. what would they achieve? John Halligan has proved that. the decision on whether we get 24/7 will come down to medical professionals within the national review. protests and Facebook pages will not outweigh this. Matt Shanahan is an ultra catholic and supported the No side, Hilary O'Neill posts the same thing week in week out on the SEPAG page and her own personal page. most of it popular rhetoric and stirring things up. Furthermore, having a single issue TD would be worthless. we elect TD's to legislate not parish pump politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Are all of them not 24/7 Cardiac Care TDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

Gardner wrote: »
    John Halligan has proved that

He is going to rain down hell on the government you know.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    What has he achieved?

Its quite difficult to achieve anything while in opposition to be fair to him, his work on the public accounts committee hasn't gone unnoticed in many circles.

You are entitled to your opinion and so should Paudie to be fair to him, I voted yes on Friday as did you I assume, why should the way Paudie voted on this issue affect his decision making on future issues especially concerning Waterford. If and when the North Quays development goes ahead, that wouldn't have been possible without Paudie work while he was a junior minister.
    Gardner wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell would i vote for a 24/7 candidate. what would they achieve? John Halligan has proved that. the decision on whether we get 24/7 will come down to medical professionals within the national review. protests and Facebook pages will not outweigh this. Matt Shanahan is an ultra catholic and supported the No side, Hilary O'Neill posts the same thing week in week out on the SEPAG page and her own personal page. most of it popular rhetoric and stirring things up. Furthermore, having a single issue TD would be worthless. we elect TD's to legislate not parish pump politics.

This is 100% spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PPN2893

Might be derailing the thread but since there's mention of Paudie voting no in the recent referendum, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mary Butler. I don't begrudge anyone for voting no in the referendum but she was one of the TDs that voted to not even have the referendum in the first place. I'm less a fan of that than anyone voting against repealing the 8th.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

PPN2893 wrote: »
    Might be derailing the thread but since there's mention of Paudie voting no in the recent referendum, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mary Butler. I don't begrudge anyone for voting no in the referendum but she was one of the TDs that voted to not even have the referendum in the first place. I'm less a fan of that than anyone voting against repealing the 8th.

That would be my issue with any TD, now how they voted in the actual ref.
    But that they actually voted to stop the citizens of Ireland from exercising their democratic right on an issue that there was clear demand to vote on

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    That would be my issue with any TD, now how they voted in the actual ref.
    But that they actually voted to stop the citizens of Ireland from exercising their democratic right on an issue that there was clear demand to vote on

I'd line up with the same thinking. Even if she was a vocal no supporter during the referendum, I'd still consider voting for her depending on her policies. Trying to block the referendum as a politician was putting her own beliefs before the electorate which, ideally, is the opposite of what a politician should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Butler and Mulligan both voted against the boundary extension, with Butler being an outspoken no voter on the 8th ref she has also voted against women. How anyone can think of voting FF in Waterford is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Butler and Mulligan both voted against the boundary extension, with Butler being an outspoken no voter on the 8th ref she has also voted against women. How anyone can think of voting FF in Waterford is beyond me.

Don't think that's true about Mulligan. He submitted a submission in support of the boundary extension.

PPN2893 wrote: »

That's inherently undemocratic. To think that she polled the top in this county is even more shocking. These are the people we are sending to represent us.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

even though this is not directly related to this thread, i still think this is very disturbing for the south east

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0613/970285-mental-health/

The psychiatric facilities at UHW are under severe duress. This is an emergency are TDs need to address immediately.

They sure are. I can't say anything bad about the staff (well a couple were horrible but not all) but I had some problems back in 2011 and the resources at UHW (WRH at the time) were shockingly bad. They just don't have the time to deal with people who aren't an immediate danger to themselves or others. There's a definite feeling that if you're not mid breakdown then your problems are small enough that you can deal with it on your own. There needs to be a major overall in mental health services in Ireland in general and not just Waterford.

There's a national review and they're looking for public opinion on it...takes a few minutes to fill in, not long, everything helps.Don't have link...ye might have heard eddie mulligan talking on radio about it.

Tried finding it but the only survey I found has been closed down. Would give it a go but can't seem to find a link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somahoney74

I wouldn't vote for anyone who is just promising cardiac care.

What Waterford needs is a minister who actual does his job

Fully agree

Advertisement