Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭blackbox

Installed dashcam.

I was able to slave the power supply from the auto-dipping mirror, so no messy wiring.

DashCam.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nice one. Super neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Feck this ****....I'm gonna buy a car with a warranty next

IMG-20180517-_WA0020.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nice tractor.

What were you up to with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Funny you should mention that. My son was helping me by putting the whole contents of that socket set into his trailer and driving around the house. Was very useful when looking for "that" socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Funny you should mention that. My son was helping me by putting the whole contents of that socket set into his trailer and driving around the house. Was very useful when looking for "that" socket.

Sounds as helpful as me putting the coals behind the fireplace :)

Replaced the handbrake shoes on the E46. The passenger side had failed, so I only replaced that side for now. I had replaced the rear disks and pads a long time ago, I feel I should thank myself for greasing everything when doing that job because it all came apart nice and easily. The tricky bit is to balance both sides now, I've given it a go, but I'll have another go this evening to make sure.

Lovely day for it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Replaced the handbrake shoes on the E46. The passenger side had failed, so I only replaced that side for now. I had replaced the rear disks and pads a long time ago, I feel I should thank myself for greasing everything when doing that job because it all came apart nice and easily. The tricky bit is to balance both sides now, I've given it a go, but I'll have another go this evening to make sure.

Lovely day for it too!

You really need to replace both sides or you will struggle with the balance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Changed the gearbox in herselfs Yaris earlier today. It gave up the ghost Thursday evening. I did the clutch not too long ago so that saved a little bit of time.

Nice day for it all the same.

rex-x wrote: »
    You really need to replace both sides or you will struggle with the balance

You're not wrong. But I seem to have it decently done for now. Obviously I don't have any testing equipment. But I loosened off both sides and tightened them back as close together as I could. I'll have another look tomorrow and probably throw it through the NCT retest so long as I'm still happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

pablo128 wrote: »
    Changed the gearbox in herselfs Yaris earlier today. It gave up the ghost Thursday evening. I did the clutch not too long ago so that saved a little bit of time.

Nice day for it all the same.

What miles did it fail at?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Done a oil change and filter change on the Mondeo yesterday, what a day and got some painting done also.

What miles did it fail at?

It's an 06 with just under 110k miles. It didn't really give any warning either. She went to pull away from the house Thursday morning and heard/felt that it wasn't right. I had a look that evening and it locked up within 200 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's an 06 with just under 110k miles. It didn't really give any warning either. She went to pull away from the house Thursday morning and heard/felt that it wasn't right. I had a look that evening and it locked up within 200 metres.

Jesus I'm no experts on Yaris' but that sounds like pretty low mileage for a gearbox to go especially a Toyota one.

Jesus I'm no experts on Yaris' but that sounds like pretty low mileage for a gearbox to go especially a Toyota one.

I thought that myself but sure look, you never know how the car was previously driven. And while my missus is generally a good driver, she could be rallying sh1te out of it when my back is turned!:pac:

A plus side is that if it's not a part that regularly fails, there will be a glut of them available second hand and for not much money. If it was an Auris 1.4 d4d box you wouldn't have much change from a thousand Euros for a s/h box.

I thought that myself but sure look, you never know how the car was previously driven. And while my missus is generally a good driver, she could be rallying sh1te out of it when my back is turned!:pac:

A plus side is that if it's not a part that regularly fails, there will be a glut of them available second hand and for not much money. If it was an Auris 1.4 d4d box you wouldn't have much change from a thousand Euros for a s/h box.

Had one go on a 1.4 d4d corolla at 96k km. Think it cost about 1500 for a clutch, gearbox and full service at an indy. The indy reckoned the most expensive part was shipping the gearbox to the recon center but it was great afterwards. The previous owner used to use it for farming and towing cattle trailers. Can only imagine the stress put on that little hatchback when he had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I went through plenty of gearboxes in my previous corolla (5 at least). The last one fitted has been sent to Poland (!) for repair. 2 new, genuine bearings + labour + courier for 150 notes. 2nd hand gearbox never lasted more than 18 months. Reconditioned one's already running 4 years and doesn't want to fail.

joujoujou wrote: »
    I went through plenty of gearboxes in my previous corolla (5 at least). The last one fitted has been sent to Poland (!) for repair. 2 new, genuine bearings + labour + courier for 150 notes. 2nd hand gearbox never lasted more than 18 months. Reconditioned one's already running 4 years and doesn't want to fail.

I was told they changed the design of the bearings that they use in the repairs. Apparently they're meant to be more durable.
    Cool idea sending to Poland though. Do you just use a courier like DPD for this?

Unregistered Users

tcawley29 wrote: »
    I was told they changed the design of the bearings that they use in the repairs. Apparently they're meant to be more durable.
    That's exactly what I heard as well. :)
    Cool idea sending to Poland though. Do you just use a courier like DPD for this?
    Thanks. No, I used one of many private Polish lads driving their vans there and back again.

He is Polish though so he is well able to communicate with those carrying out the work. I wouldn't fancy trying to send emails to them asking to do the work for myself and using google translate.

• Advertisement

He is Polish though so he is well able to communicate with those carrying out the work. I wouldn't fancy trying to send emails to them asking to do the work for myself and using google translate.

If I was in the position again and I knew this sort of saving could be made I would have made a point of learning to speak Polish :)

Unregistered Users

If I was in the position again and I knew this sort of saving could be made I would have made a point of learning to speak Polish :)
    ...or just ask someone nearby to give you a hand.

I'm pretty sure plenty of Polish people live/work around you. :)

Anyway, I hope that current gearbox will last long enough without a problem. ;)

joujoujou wrote: »
    ...or just ask someone nearby to give you a hand.

I'm pretty sure plenty of Polish people live/work around you. :)

Anyway, I hope that current gearbox will last long enough without a problem. ;)

Thats true too. I sold the car and moved away but it was still going strong at 150k when the car was sold. Not much mileage I know but oh well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Took the front bumper off my E36 to fit new bumper dampers. It had gotten a slap at some stage and wasn't sitting properly. Dampers were perfect but the carrier was damaged so I need a new one. I ordered new splash guards while I was at it as they were in awful knick.

20180516_183238.jpg

20180516_193512.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I made a new controller from scratch for the blower in the 405 after attempts to repair the ones I had failed. A while back I bought a new controller from China but it only lasted .5 of a second before it blew. This one is way overkill for what it's supposed to do

That fuse is not making full contact. Push it down so it is even on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

That fuse is not making full contact. Push it down so it is even on both sides.

It's the wrong size, must try to pick up a proper one today

Started getting ready for my power steering pump replacement. Removed the front fan, air-box and progressed on to the belts. A bit annoying but I've done this before so got the belt off without much issue. Span the now free power steering pulley and it space completely freely. Then pulled it out, the shaft leading from the pulley into the pump has completely sheered inside the pump. :eek:

The new pump is in the post as I type, so hoping to have it and the new expansion tank for the hydraulic fluid on Monday/Tues. Fit and bleed and bring the sucker to the NCT by Thurs. I think it's possible.

Well, fair play to Mick's garage who sent my parts out to me this afternoon! Started taking things apart this morning. Jacked the car up, sussed out what bolts to remove and got to it. It did take me a little while to get the old pump out as the high pressure return line was well secured. Using a curtain pole to get my law of the lever on, I managed to break it free.

New pump is now on and plumbed. I started removing the expansion tank but one of the lines coming out of it is not looking too good. I'm tempted to just button the old one back together and just leave it for now. The ultimate goal here is to get it through the NCT, I can worry about the rest after.

My only other hurdle is the old pulley. I have a new one ordered but it hasn't arrived. It is plastic and is welded to the old pump, just due to age and heat from the engine. I have it sitting in a pool of WD-40 to see if it will come free as I might be forced to use the old one.

A good afternoons work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The struggle is real. Hopefully you get sorted within the retest period!

Advertisement