Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Got my car back after crash repair and smashed windscreen replacement. Vacuumed it several times but still finding bits of glass. Decided to pull the dash and give it a good clean out.

34rc2dj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Guys, I need a bit of advice here, I'm not really good with electrics and this seems to be an electrical issue. I had to have the car towed home right after the NCT test.

Now this is some story... I went to do the NCT today. The picture is actually just before the technician took it for the test.

Here's what happened: I am looking at the car and technician performing the tests at the first station (emissions, lights). After he was finished they were pushing the car forward to do the suspension test etc. And I'm thinking what the hell are they doing, why are they pushing the car?? So after the test finished the technician called me with the fail sheet in his hand. He said the car just died, it cut out suddenly.

So immediately after I got my hands on it I noticed that the fuel pump isn't priming. Fuse is ok. The pump is quite new, I bought it like a year ago and it's original BOSCH, I think it was something over 100 euro. I didn't want any cheap rubbish for 40e.

I had the car towed home. I have a spare pump at home, so disconnected the one in the car and connected the lead to the spare one. Nothing. Isn't priming. So it must be the fuel pump relay? It is very likely the issue. I will have to test it somehow it it's working. Could be mechanical issue inside, or even if it work it could be electrical issue. How do I test it, I saw a friend of mine last year testing it. I need a battery and 2 wires. Which contacts should I try?

IMG_3942.jpg

Anyway, the car failed the NCT on window tints (31% he said... so I had 30% installed which means there is 1% from the factory), then some loose brake hose at the back and a bit of rust underneath. Well, the new sills were welded on last year so they will be good for many years. New shocks, springs, refurbished brakes with S/S hoses, new lights, brake splash guard etc. Car is mostly sorted.

I removed the wing earlier this week, I have just few pictures. I cleaned it with an angle grinder with flap disc on it. Metal is healthy but there is still a small hole in it. It passed.

IMG_3922.jpg

what couldn't be cleaned I treated with rust converter and painted over

IMG_3923.jpg

IMG_3936.jpg

IMG_3937.jpg

Did some shopping earlier this week. Engine in the car is noisy and I noticed water in oil recently. Will have this rebuilt and then swapped.

IMG_3925.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Fuel pump relay would be the first thing. Google it and it will tell you how to by pass it. If you bypass it and the pump primes then the relay is your problem, no biggie. Does or did your car ever have an after market alarm. My e30 had electrical glemlins before....no spark once and intermittent fuel pump the 2nd time. Both times it was caused by ****ty crimping where an alarm had been cut into and later removed from the car. On my car they tapped into the electrics underneath the fuse box. Check under it maybe, but hopefully just the relay this time.

Yeah it has to be the relay most likely. I will test it tomorrow. Can't be anything else really.

There is some ancient alarm in it. AutoWatch is the name of it, my guess is late 90s, early 2000's. There is some box behind the glove box, plus obviously the wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Replaced the boot release push after two years :o

450103.PNG

Replaced the two scorched front fog lamps. Got a pair of NOS OEM units from a main dealer for €60 a few months back iirc.

Fairly big ordeal to get into the bloody things :D Bumper was virtually off the car

450104.jpg

450105.jpg

Also rotated the tyres, got the car washed, replaced the pollen filter.

It's been a while since I bonded with my car like this!!

Coming soon: my first DIY timing belt (not a complete novice to this stuff) and I think I'm looking at getting the gearbox out to send it away to get some noisy bearings changed or replace the box and clutch if I can get one I'd be happy to chance.

• Advertisement

So I tested the relay today and it works. I can hear a click and also there is juice going through it.

I really don't know what could it be now. It has to be faulty wiring somewhere because at this stage I am absolutely out of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I have no voltage coming out of the cable that's powering the fuel pump. So the problem is definitely between relay and the fuel pump. Bad contact somewhere.

I'm glad I know that now, because I was worried it's the pump that died.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Hopefully the wiring is easy to fix and not in similar condition to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YpAcFIB2f4

Id try and find where that alarm is crimped into your car. If there alarm is in glove box check there but also check under the fuse box. Takes two mins to unscrew it and have a look.

• Advertisement

Well, this is very helpful:

http://wildness.me/bmw-e30-fuel-pump-wiring-diagram/

From what I understand the alarm/immobiliser is installed between the fuse and the pump:

please-help-1990-325i-will-not-start-engine-cranks-but-will-not-.jpg

I will check if there is power in the fuse and go from there. At this stage it's either bad contact somewhere or the alarm/immobiliser faulty.

What I did I switched off the alarm system completely and it still wouldn't prime. Is the immobiliser blocking the pump even when the whole system is switched off? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Quick question lads made a rookie mistake today when doing an oil change on the car.

Ordered filters and oil off my local motor factors but had drained the oil out of the sump and had old oil filter removed when I realised they gave me the wrong oil filter.

All i could do was put back in the old filter and fill the new oil in.
    Now I was early doing the service by about 4k km would I be ok to just swap out the filter with a new one in the morning or is it better to drain the oil again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Best way is change it all.

Best way is change it all.

Cheers thought as much myself oh well better safe than sorry another 60e on the oil is better than long term trouble just a pain gggr.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

crasy dash wrote: »
    Cheers thought as much myself oh well better safe than sorry another 60e on the oil is better than long term trouble just a pain gggr.

Could you not have used someone else to grab filter or leave it till you could get one??

Only car in the house and there was no place
    local openn near me today so had to finish it while I was at it.

I think fresh oil a 2nd time is complete overkill. Stick the new filter in and forget about it. New filter and oil, done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Painted up the front and rear calipers and stuck a new set of 18” ST3 reps, delighted with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

And one of the finished product

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Stripped and cleaned up a type R intake manifold ready for fitting to my Prelude.
    Got my friend to do the top coat on my wheels too, I'm delighted with how they turned out, I spent hours stripping and sanding them.

2xPjSgJ.jpg

bt3g036.jpg

7ybnmK1.jpg

BhaMhz7.jpg

d46Dk5d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What's that part that comes off in the center. EGR?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

What's that part that comes off in the center. EGR?

Yeah, it was manky as feck. I'm guessing the Accord it came off was burning some amount of oil.
    I put two big cans of carb cleaner through the whole manifold, it's spotless inside now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

After killing a pheasant...

...temporary repair.

450720.jpg

Note really badly looking dent on the door - that's where mirror hit the panel during the incident.

450721.jpg

New mirror from Mr. T is 190 +VAT, breakers wanted 100, bought one off ebay (downside - plug's cut, but I'll sort that out) for 30.

The mirror I just temporarily repaired is not the one car went off the factory with. No usual catalogue numbers on it (there are some, but looks like aftermarket), and different way of fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I reckon you could have gotten another screw or two in there jou, just to be sure!

Unregistered Users

I was tempted alright, but sadly I ran out of them. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just prepped the second car in the family for it's NCT tomorrow. It's a Nissan Note, the main thing I did was clear up the headlamps with some elbow grease and toothpaste as they had gone quite cloudy. A quick wash, and check of the lights and fluids and that should be it. Fingers crossed. Don't want two fails in one month on 2 different cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Have the daily beater (Yaris) decide it was a nice evening yesterday to do a bit of work on it, so started with the rocker cover.

[IMG][/img]zNsGybp.jpg

[IMG][/img]I4OCIbT.jpg

[IMG][/img]N5PX5ch.jpg

[IMG][/img]Dldp9bh.jpg

(No-one will hardly see it (NCT chap) ah well :) )

Unregistered Users

Wow, looks great! :eek:

What did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Cheers, meant to say i cleaned and spray the rocker cover.
    (removed and scrubbed with a wire brushed)

High Temp Silver spray, rest i cleaned with PD 60, like WD 40 (have to go over a few spots).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Sorry joujoujou . but you were the first I thought of here :pac:

Yours is better though :)

Advertisement