Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭cletus

Air filter is what annoyed me the most. Had to take half the firewall apart to change it (might be a slight exaggeration)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Credit to VW so on the B7 Passat, air filter, oil and pollen filter you could do with your eyes closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Credit to VW so on the B7 Passat, air filter, oil and pollen filter you could do with your eyes closed.

But then you go and try change suspension components and realise they used steel bolts in aluminium arms and are seized solid :eek: there is no free lunch

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Last night I went about fitting a replacement rear ABS module. Should be easy I thought, this isn't the first time I've replaced it. Car up, wheels off I went to work at the rear hub where the sensor sits. The heat and muck can make them stick, it was a bit of a pain but came out in the end. Unplugged it and popped in the new sensor to the hub, threaded the cable through to the sensor connector. New sensor wouldn't go in. Compared the new and old sensor, new one looked like the plastic was slightly malformed. Got a tiny file out, no dice, got a dremmel out and made good work of it but it still wouldn't sit right.

I had to abandon it. Left the sensor half connected and put the car back together. Turned the car on, no ABS lights... :confused::confused::confused:. There should be, the thing isn't fully connected. Went for a spin around the block. No lights. :confused:.

Feck it. Going to order a proper part, not the cheap ****e I got last time. Hopefully it'll arrive next week. The job should be easy then! :eek::o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Did you try BMW themsleves? They care often rather reasonable. I got a bonnet lock last week (trade price) and it was less than €20 including VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Last night I went about fitting a replacement rear ABS module. Should be easy I thought, this isn't the first time I've replaced it. Car up, wheels off I went to work at the rear hub where the sensor sits. The heat and muck can make them stick, it was a bit of a pain but came out in the end. Unplugged it and popped in the new sensor to the hub, threaded the cable through to the sensor connector. New sensor wouldn't go in. Compared the new and old sensor, new one looked like the plastic was slightly malformed. Got a tiny file out, no dice, got a dremmel out and made good work of it but it still wouldn't sit right.

I had to abandon it. Left the sensor half connected and put the car back together. Turned the car on, no ABS lights... :confused::confused::confused:. There should be, the thing isn't fully connected. Went for a spin around the block. No lights. :confused:.

Feck it. Going to order a proper part, not the cheap ****e I got last time. Hopefully it'll arrive next week. The job should be easy then! :eek::o

i changed my front discs and pads on the weekend. Drivers side has no pad wear sensor, grand. Passenger side had one, but I broke it while winding pack the piston, Went to replace it with a new one i picked up when purchasing new discs and pads. Sensor didnt fit, so left it. Turned engine on, no sensors on either side, no light or warning on dash. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Did you try BMW themsleves? They care often rather reasonable. I got a bonnet lock last week (trade price) and it was less than €20 including VAT.

The BMW part is pretty expensive, 150 quid or so. Not willing to pay that much. Micksgarage have parts for in and around 40/50 quid. So I think I'll go with that. Tax and NCT up soon. Wanted to get the car NCT'd before taxing...

The BMW part is pretty expensive, 150 quid or so. Not willing to pay that much. Micksgarage have parts for in and around 40/50 quid. So I think I'll go with that. Tax and NCT up soon. Wanted to get the car NCT'd before taxing...

What part of the country are you in? I may be able to beat MG.

What part of the country are you in? I may be able to beat MG.
    I'm in north dublin! Willing to travel a bit though. The OEM part number is:
    Rear ABS sensor for a 2001 e46 325ci coupe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Great day for it! My car failed the nct last week - drop links and bushings so fitted them today. All going well until the last bolt on the second bushing and just could not get it to go it. Came away from it before I lost my temper and broke it. Other than that, happy out to have gotten 90% of the job done.

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    Great day for it! My car failed the nct last week - drop links and bushings so fitted them today. All going well until the last bolt on the second bushing and just could not get it to go it. Came away from it before I lost my temper and broke it. Other than that, happy out to have gotten 90% of the job done.

Took 30 seconds to finish it this morning. It's always good just to walk away and take a break from something that's proving tricky

Took 30 seconds to finish it this morning. It's always good just to walk away and take a break from something that's proving tricky

Definitely. I was trying to fix something on my BMW and spent an hour getting nowhere. Went back at it with fresh eyes a few weeks later and I was done in minutes. Funny how the human mind works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Doing the discs and pads as sure no better day for it. Drivers side done, nice one says I. Passenger side caliper seized solid. Job on hold...bolix :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Finally got my hands on Techstream. Sadly there's no option to disable annoying "key left in ignition" buzzer.

Plan B - making a sort of an extension from rear door sensor wire and plugging it into a driver's door sensor, so interior lights go on when door's open, but no fecking buzzer! :D

The downside of that solution is I lost "lights left on" warning as well. facepalm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cletus wrote: »
    So did the first service on wife's grand scenic II, and all I can say is fück French car manufacturers and the stupid way they design cars

What issues did you have? I never found anything bad when doing jobs on the missus one.

EDIT. See you mentioned air filter. It's fiddly the first time but once you know what you're at it's simple enough. The section of the scuttle comes out handy .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

joujoujou wrote: »
    Finally got my hands on Techstream. Sadly there's no option to disable annoying "key left in ignition" buzzer.

Plan B - making a sort of an extension from rear door sensor wire and plugging it into a driver's door sensor, so interior lights go on when door's open, but no fecking buzzer! :D

The downside of that solution is I lost "lights left on" warning as well. facepalm.gif

Just take the key out of the ignition, problem solved :p

And it's still working. I dunno. I think I'll book the NCT at this point and hope for the best. I'll definitely look to replace this sensor at some point, but if it works it's fine for now.

Alanstrainor, I totally forgot to reply. Nowhere near you unfortunately to get stuff to you but best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

OSI wrote: »
    When I was buying the current car I was happy to see it came with factory tint on the rear windows as we were planning on having a mini-human in the near future and didn't relish the idea of those horrible stuck on window blinds you see on most MPVs. Unfortunately since our little man has arrived I've noticed the tint isn't enough and the sun is bothering him so I looked for something to ease the harshness of the sun.

VW have custom fitted blinds for the car, but they're €270 for a set which is mental money so I had a look online and found a place in the UK that makes their own custom fit blinds for various models and at ~€90 figured they were worth a punt. They arrived on Saturday so I fitted them and I'm pretty impressed. They go in easily, took all of 5 minutes to do them all. Provide a good bit of shade while still giving visibility and from the outside you wouldn't know they were there although granted the rear tint probably helps hide them.

The benefit of these as well is that because they're attached to the frame and not the window, you can still open the window to let air in and the blind will stay in place.

Looking good Any link to these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Z: trying to chase a fuelling issue, changed the fuel filter from one for a Mercedes. Didn't cure it though!
    xAEYgGRh.jpg

It also has shat the input and output seals on the gearbox... For another day that job! :o

Brought this boyo out of hibernation and serviced it (all waste material ends up here if anyone is wondering)
    Kx1LPFEh.jpg

Filter access is... Limited. Under the manifold, steering box in the way
    PMDVEKXh.jpg
    ajq27Yth.jpg

Coolant next
    ZABqYOJh.jpg

Use the bleed screw to make filling this much easier
    FhUrMIFh.jpg

Fit 2 new tyres and clean up (inside and out)
    hLW1GAsh.jpg

Yes I know my bumper is crabby, I'll sort that in due time. Might attack the jacking points next!

• Advertisement

Looking good!

My car failed the nct last week - drop links and bushings so fitted them today.

And the car past the retest! Great satisfaction as everything on the fail sheet was fixed by myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭passatman86

I sat in my car waiting for the tow truck. Garage rang me and over €1k to fix the injectors.. car was been traded in last week and i never went with the deal .. if i only had a crystal ball

I sat in my car waiting for the tow truck. Garage rang me and over €1k to fix the injectors.. car was been traded in last week and i never went with the deal .. if i only had a crystal ball

If your Auntie had balls she would be you Uncle. You could well have had the garage on your case then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If your Auntie had balls she would be you Uncle. You could well have had the garage on your case then.

How that would be their problem.

How that would be their problem.

Very true but it's not unheard of.

Cleaned these today as I fancy selling them. However I have been offereda set of tyres at a bargain price so I may not after all... :o:o

20180428_174200.jpg

20180428_174214.jpg

20180428_174221.jpg

20180428_174230.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭passatman86

Maybe I should elaborate. Its my car that has the issue I was trading it in the previous week but was told insignia are a bad car so didnt, anyway I was driving when diesel light was on as I needed to make a garage and fill up. Thats when engine trouble started and was told more than likely bad diesel and they are checking for water in the tank. Get the bill on monday as the injectors are off getting checked - €290 an injector - all 4 to be replaced confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

New shocks fitted on the old bus. A few more items on the cvrt fail sheet and back she will go for a retest

449564.png

(weird, tried to post from the phone, it stopped the image for being too large but still posted the message without the image)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

The joys of daily driving and servicing an E30.

I booked it for the NCT (next saturday) and only after that I realised the bottom of the wing is rusty (a bit further up too), so I removed it... had to drill a screw out... and then it started raining of course...

tomorrow I will clean the whole bottom part and paint it...

IMG_3918.jpg

Advertisement