Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to play Test Cricket in 2018?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

All the players are on Cricket Ireland contracts so we have been effectively professional for a while now. Great effort by the lads, we should be all very proud of them and look forward to the T20 games V India in June.

Just on a side point you can see there is still a gulf between County Cricket and the Leinster Premier League. The 2 Northern leagues are a stepdown again. The guys who have proper county cricket experience became quickly apparent in this game. Andy Balbirnie will think there is a big step between the Pembroke 1st team and Tyrone Kane the same with Merrion. The guys who have played county cricket, KOB, NOB, Porterfield, Wilson, Rankin, Murtagh and to a lesser extent Stirling looked more comfortable at this level. Fair enough Balbirnie had a go at Middlesex but did`nt really make it.

Having said that the age profile of the team is too old and we need to pull the 20 year olds who are good enough through quickly now. I`d like to see Jack Tector, Tyrone Kane, Peter Chase, Andy Mc Brine, Gillespie etc included in the T20`s, we`ve gotta move that direction

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

dulpit wrote: »
    Are all the players pro now? Wonder what sort of renumeration they get..
    Looking at the current squad, only 5 of the 16 currently play at English County level which will provide some income

However CI do offer central contracts, with details here, with Porterfield earning $100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Next home test is supposed to be Australia next summer, is that confirmed?

I went along to the afternoon session today. As suspected, Ireland were about 50 short of making it a real game. It was still great to be able to watch some test cricket in Dublin though, never thought I'd see the day :)

Could be Smith and Warner's returning Test Match :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

I understand the match fees for this game were €2.5k for the 11 members of the team and No.12 and 13 got €1.8k. Not a fortune but reasonable considering where Irish cricket is coming from................

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Beasty wrote: »
    Looking at the current squad, only 5 of the 16 currently play at English County level which will provide some income

However CI do offer central contracts, with details here, with Porterfield earning $100k.

Not sure if Porterfield and Rankin are still contracted with Warwickshire. Both were back here playing in the Inter-Pros earlier in the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭howiya

Kevin O'Brien interviewed on off the ball there. Might be available on podcast later

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rushwan

Just sat down to watch yesterdays highlights, recorded on RTE2 last night, only to get 45 minutes of soccer republic! So only got to see 15 mins of cricket, disgusted. Will have to catch up on RTE player to see Kevin O' Brien's historic century

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Doodah7 wrote: »
    They would be better playing the likes of the Windies or Bangladesh next to gain some more experience.

And I'm sure they'd love to, but largely dependent on the goodwill of other unions and the ICC Fixtures Schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

And I'm sure they'd love to, but largely dependent on the goodwill of other unions and the ICC Fixtures Schedule.

I presume there's a match fee for the visiting side? How much more would it cost to bring Australia over (as someone mentioned earlier) than Pakistan?

Also I remember there was a hiatus on teams playing in Pakistan due to security concerns so they had no choice but to tour. Is that still the case?

I am guessing we are probably not a big draw to established nations without an incentive to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Is it not the ICC that set the schedule? I assume there is some room for influence and negotiation, but I thought teams play whoever they're told to play?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Collie D wrote: »
    I presume there's a match fee for the visiting side? How much more would it cost to bring Australia over (as someone mentioned earlier) than Pakistan?
    The "big" teams already come over for ODIs and T20s.

I thought there was an obligation to play a minimum number of tests against each test-playing nation over a certain period to ensure the test rankings are at least to some extent representative of all test-playing countries.

I would hope/expect there to be at least one test in Ireland by a team visiting England and Wales for a summer series each year. Arguably the opponents may treat it as a warm-up, and early season is going to be more susceptible to the weather

Of course Ireland also needs to play away tests, but I think single tests on the other side of the world are going to raise some logistical issues

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Thanks. I wasn't making a statement by the way.Just wondering out loud.

Happy to bow to better knowledge of the game and its politics.

Up to 2023 another 15 Tests

Afghanistan 5 tests
    Zimbabwe 4
    Bangladesh 2
    England 1
    South Africa 1
    New Zealand 1
    Sri Lanka 1

Derco wrote: »
    ECB are bringing in new rules in two years time classing Irish international players as overseas players. That would pretty much close of the 'granny rule' route in future. Infact we could have a situation where young Irish homegrown talent could have to choose between an international career and a county one.
    Just coming back to this. Depending on how Brexit turns out such a rule may not be acceptable under EU freedom of movement rules (the Bosman case). I suspect that in the case of Ireland, given whatever they need to do to deal with the border, it may well prove difficult to implement any such rule (it would be fine for non-EU countries, but you only have Ireland and the UK currently playing Test cricket and in the EU).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Afghanistan 5 tests
    Zimbabwe 4
    Bangladesh 2
    England 1
    South Africa 1
    New Zealand 1
    Sri Lanka 1

Wow, that's more Test matches than I was expecting. Shame to see West Indies, Australia and India missing (and no return of Pakistan)

I see on another site
    Deutrom expects Ireland to be guaranteed between 60 and 65 home fixtures over the next five years, with 13 of those set to be Test matches and all of the Full Member nations to visit these shores in at least one format as part of the FTP schedule.

But the prospect of England coming over for a Test match is unlikely in the next five years because of their ‘busy’ programme, although there is a possibility Ireland will visit Lord’s for a five-day game next summer

http://www.the42.ie/warren-deutrom-ireland-cricket-4015193-May2018/

A Test Match in Lords would be tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

You'd think that a match or two with England wouldn't be OTT given our relative proximity. On other hand, maybe better to wait awhile until we have a bigger/stronger squad.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    You'd think that a match or two with England wouldn't be OTT given our relative proximity. On other hand, maybe better to wait awhile until we have a bigger/stronger squad.
    There will be ODIs and T20s. I think though that the idea will be for the major nations to have a single match in Ireland ahead of their England Tours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There's an article here in the Guardian about the immediate future of test cricket in Ireland. The first half is mostly waffle, but the second half sounds fairly accurate. It's just not cost effective for Ireland to be going on long tours, Porterfield himself is quoted in the article as saying T20 is the focus now.

It also states the capacity of Malahide will be upped by 2000 to 8000 for the India T20 games. I would hope they're doing that based on ticket sales and not out of pure hope, but would be great if a crowd of that size were to turn up for those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I saw word somewhere the second India T20, which is on a Friday and also has the women Vs Bangladesh as a curtain opener, is close to sold out already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

minitrue wrote: »
    I saw word somewhere the second India T20, which is on a Friday and also has the women Vs Bangladesh as a curtain opener, is close to sold out already.

No too surprising, a pile of Indian fans based in England, and a few here. Ireland v India t20 will appeal to supporters and IPL watchers. Its an occasion as well as a cricket match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭howiya

minitrue wrote: »

Deutrom said it in this

https://www.rte.ie/sport/cricket/2018/0516/963878-ireland-warren-deutrom/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Afghanistan 5 tests
    Zimbabwe 4
    Bangladesh 2
    England 1
    South Africa 1
    New Zealand 1
    Sri Lanka 1

This is not a recent piece, so a pinch of salt needed, no?
    Tue, Dec 12, 2017, 21:12

There were no fixtures announced on that date

It is certainly not a definitive list. Indeed I've seen Australia in 2019 mentioned on a couple of occasions. However I do think there has to be a tie in with teams visiting England, and the higher numbers of matches against Afghanistan, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh makes sense. I suspect they will form the basis of the overseas tour schedule (with perhaps home and away against Afghanistan and possibly Zimbabwe), plus hopefully Lords.

I was posting that because someone was asking about future tests, and people in Cricket Ireland, as well as on the radio, were mentioning 15 over the next 5 years

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

http://www.the42.ie/warren-deutrom-ireland-cricket-4015193-May2018/

Deutrom is quoted as saying a significant announcement will be made shortly on fixtures, to tie in with the Future Tours Programme. It could be as early as next week.

So nothing definitive announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Deutrom was on cricinfo saying a test against Australia next year is unlikely.

England are no help whatsoever to Ireland, complete opposite actually. If they were forced to play a test, they would probably hold it on an out ground

You obviously missed the ODI at Lord's last year. England - Ireland matches are a fairly regular event, so i'm not sure what the basis is for saying that England are the opposite of helpful (or why you think they should actually be helpful in the first place)

Teams visiting England do so in their off season, so fitting in friendlies and a short notice test is pretty straight forward when players are already committed to a tour party. For England, it means fitting in a test match in a summer that already contains 7 tests and 11 ODIs, plus a few T20 matches, whilst all their players also have county commitments and plenty IPL commitments in the early season as well.

When England tour, it is obviously the off season over there, which means it will also be winter here, so unless they can arrange a test in Qatar or somewhere (although i'm sure they would get stick for that because it isn't at Lord's) then it may be three years away before the two play a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yall-Got-Any-More-Of-That.jpg

Y'all got anymore of those Test Matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Went on Ticketmaster and I see that the tickets for the Friday T20 game against India are sold out :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Aegir wrote: »
    You obviously missed the ODI at Lord's last year. England - Ireland matches are a fairly regular event, so i'm not sure what the basis is for saying that England are the opposite of helpful (or why you think they should actually be helpful in the first place)

Teams visiting England do so in their off season, so fitting in friendlies and a short notice test is pretty straight forward when players are already committed to a tour party. For England, it means fitting in a test match in a summer that already contains 7 tests and 11 ODIs, plus a few T20 matches, whilst all their players also have county commitments and plenty IPL commitments in the early season as well.

When England tour, it is obviously the off season over there, which means it will also be winter here, so unless they can arrange a test in Qatar or somewhere (although i'm sure they would get stick for that because it isn't at Lord's) then it may be three years away before the two play a test.

2009,2011,2013,2015,2017, one game every 2 years (2017 the exception) isn't a great record. Considering the players they got off us, a few more crumbs would have been nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,169 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

anyone have any news on the hills vs north county game either today or yesterday? apparently irish and English special forces cops were there with guns and arrested some fella with alleged involvement with terrorism?

parents were at match telling me this, but cant find anything online.

Advertisement