Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Trainee 2018 campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kevin17W

kerryman85 wrote: »
    I agree with FIVE.0, I did the Day course with career services for stage 1 and then the online course for stage 2. Well worth the money and very similar the the real tests for AGS. I’d highly recommend.

Cheers. I must look it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

Kevin17W wrote: »
    Thank you for replying :-) .
    Is the content you’re given similar to the actual aptitude tests or just generic ones for various jobs?

Yea the career services people are able to predict what style of test comes up because it changes every year. So they concentrate on the style that's coming up. I wouldn't have passed it without them. They are very pricey but worth it if your serious about it. Now at the same time, I know a lot of people that passed without doing the course. You will know yourself if verbal reasoning and abstract reasoning is something you need help with, a lot of people can fly them type of tests, if your good at problem solving and stuff, I know I wasn't one of them but flew them with a good score because of the course.
    Hope that helps make your mind up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    Yea the career services people are able to predict what style of test comes up because it changes every year. So they concentrate on the style that's coming up. I wouldn't have passed it without them. They are very pricey but worth it if your serious about it. Now at the same time, I know a lot of people that passed without doing the course. You will know yourself if verbal reasoning and abstract reasoning is something you need help with, a lot of people can fly them type of tests, if your good at problem solving and stuff, I know I wasn't one of them but flew them with a good score because of the course.

I was considering thar as well..

I just can't get the day off work, to attend the course. Would paying the 100 euro for the online practice material be any benifit?

job seeker wrote: »
    I was considering thar as well..

I just can't get the day off work, to attend the course. Would paying the 100 euro for the online practice material be any benifit?

Yea, I had a friend who payed for the online course. If I had of known about that at the time I prob would have done that. Cheaper too. I didn't realise at the time that there was an online one. They give you a log on to a site the supplies you with info about the report writing and all. Really helpful for stage two.

Yea, I had a friend who payed for the online course. If I had of known about that at the time I prob would have done that. Cheaper too. I didn't realise at the time that there was an online one. They give you a log on to a site the supplies you with info about the report writing and all. Really helpful for stage two.

Yeah, I guess you're right.. I'd just kinda be afraid of missing things like interview tips etc. That you'd be given if you paid the extra 60 euro for the full course..

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

I. Wouldn't recommend them but that's just me, it's alot to fork out especially if you fail it. Best bet is just prepare yourself! There really isn't much to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kerryman85

I. Wouldn't recommend them but that's just me, it's alot to fork out especially if you fail it. Best bet is just prepare yourself! There really isn't much to it.

The whole point is to prepare enough to not fail or having to wait a year for another campaign.
    Being someone who applied twice, failing the first time cause I didn’t prepare properly, but passing the second time I applied thanks to the courses I did career services, I think your advice is fairly damn poor. If you’re someone that’s serious enough about this career it’s well worth every penny.
    And just to keep in mind, it’s one thing passing, it’s another thing scoring highly so you have a low order of merit. The lower the order of merit you have, the quicker you’ll get in.
    But anyhow, what do I know. Best of luck to all the new candidates.

€100 is a small price to pay to get into the guards. But I can see why people who are generally good at those tests would think they are a waste of money. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

Well I'm just thinking about the shocking price of it, some charge mad money of 150 - 200 euro, but look clearly they offer a decent service but I didn't go for it because of the price alone. My advice is just take hints and tips from here, there really isn't much to it apart from the online psychometric tests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Kevin17W

Cheers I think I’ll go ahead and book them. They seem to be filling up quick.

Just another Question a bit off point and I know I’m getting ahead of myself, but I’d like to know before I fully commit myself.

If successful through all stages and you get to Templemore and complete training. Are you placed where you’re told or how does it work?
    I’m just wondering would they take into account personal circumstances such as a reason to be around home to help care for someone, without effecting the job. I couldn’t see it but any help would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

100% recommend career services. I did stage one and stage two prep online. I also did the course to prepare for the interview. I passed these stages because of their content. Defo worth the money.

Kevin17W wrote: »
    Cheers I think I’ll go ahead and book them. They seem to be filling up quick.

Just another Question a bit off point and I know I’m getting ahead of myself, but I’d like to know before I fully commit myself.

If successful through all stages and you get to Templemore and complete training. Are you placed where you’re told or how does it work?
    I’m just wondering would they take into account personal circumstances such as a reason to be around home to help care for someone, without effecting the job. I couldn’t see it but any help would be appreciated

They can basically place you anywhere in the country, but you can fill out a welfare form when you get to Templemore to request to be stationed closer to home. I'm not sure it works in every case. But I'm sure if you had a good enough reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 pedrigo

Just filling out the application and not sure if my version of adobe is working properly. Is Section B only 2 questions and the additional Info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

My friend is planning on applying for this
    Hes wondering if he needs to do the irish test through PAS
    if so he will start now (hes pretty awful at Irish to be honest)

He meets all the requirements but has foundation level irish he got a c in that. I told him he probably does have to do it because foundation is not ordinary but hes insisting that he doesn't

Can anyone here give him the bad news? :L

funny enough hes older brother is a detective and he doesn't know the answer

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    My friend is planning on applying for this
    Hes wondering if he needs to do the irish test through PAS
    if so he will start now (hes pretty awful at Irish to be honest)

He meets all the requirements but has foundation level irish he got a c in that. I told him he probably does have to do it because foundation is not ordinary but hes insisting that he doesn't

Can anyone here give him the bad news? :L

funny enough hes older brother is a detective and he doesn't know the answer

If he has a leaving cert grade D or above in another language he won't need to do it because he will meet the requirements of being proven proficiency in two languages (assuming he has passed English at at least ordinary level)

But, if he doesn't have a second language at school He will 100% have to do the PAS Irish exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LukeP26

If you have a caution are you still allowed to join?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

Doesn't say anything about it in the information booklet, however I would say you would be told prior to completing the stage one tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

I’m applying for the Garda Trainee but I have a few questions that I’m hoping someone can help me with:

I’m struggling with the questions at the end of the application on community/volunteering/hobbies and what I have to contribute as a Garda etc. I take it these questions can’t be helped by any of the career services courses as I presumed those courses were for people who make an application? I’m just lousy at those type of questions. I don’t feel I have anything to offer.

I’m also worried that I have a 2 year gap during the recession where I was unemployed after being made redundant and how they will view that. I was employed for 8 years and then unemployed for 2 and I’ve been self employed for the last 2 years since.

Does anyone know if it’s mandatory to reside in Templemore if you get that far?

Would being pregnant effect the interview stage if I didn’t say anything until I needed to?

What are the chances of getting close to where you live?

Many thanks,

I’m applying for the Garda Trainee but I have a few questions that I’m hoping someone can help me with:

I’m struggling with the questions at the end of the application on community/volunteering/hobbies and what I have to contribute as a Garda etc. I take it these questions can’t be helped by any of the career services courses as I presumed those courses were for people who make an application? I’m just lousy at those type of questions. I don’t feel I have anything to offer.

I’m also worried that I have a 2 year gap during the recession where I was unemployed after being made redundant and how they will view that. I was employed for 8 years and then unemployed for 2 and I’ve been self employed for the last 2 years since.

Does anyone know if it’s mandatory to reside in Templemore if you get that far?

Would being pregnant effect the interview stage if I didn’t say anything until I needed to?

What are the chances of getting close to where you live?

Many thanks,

If you haven't done any voluntary work write about a team you are apart of eg a sports team or the gym. your interview form should reflect the competences i.e. Motivation, receliance so on, the information booklet should help you out with these- plenty of people have joined AGS without voluntary work so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If the two year gap was due to the recession I cant see it being a problem, although how did you fill your time during these two years? You could talk about planning and preparing to set up a business ( this shows reselince from being knocked back due to the recession)

Did you apply for the reserves within them two years? (You're more than likely going to be asked this)

By law being pregnant can not affect your application, although you will have to disclose it at medical stage. And I'm not sure you'd be able to complete your physical while pregnant.

I'm pretty sure it is mandatory to reside in the college (from reading past posts on here)

And you can apply on welfare grounds to get stationed close to home but there is never a garentee that it will be accepted so if it's crucial that you live near home I'd think about that before entering into Templemore.

As far as I have checked you do not need to reside in the college if you have a very good reason, i.e. children. I am a single parent with two kids living in Dublin so will be hoping for the fact I can commute back and forth some days midweek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Colmd88

Hi

I have applied for the Garda Recruitment 2018 but I have a question regarding the training in Templemore for those that are successful.

Does every trainee have to reside at the college in Templemore or is there any exemption for example someone that's married or who has kids? Can they travel home every evening?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jameshealy19

Hey, does anyone know how many applications were received?

Thanks

Hey, does anyone know how many applications were received?

Thanks

Someone else said about 2000 in a different thread.. Which was low enough apparently..

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jameshealy19

2,000 applications for 800 positions? its a far cry from the 24,000 that applied in 2013-2014, sign of the times maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

2,000 applications for 800 positions? its a far cry from the 24,000 that applied in 2013-2014, sign of the times maybe.

The person in the other thread said 2000, yes, but they also said that figure was tallied one week before the application deadline. So nobody actually knows yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

Hey folks. Just have a few questions that if anybody would be able to help with that would be great!

1) Does anybody have the dates that the Stage 1 tests come out on? The information booklet has been removed from the PAS website. I know there's a part 1 & 2 to Stage 1, and they come out on different dates.

2) Has anybody attended the Career Services preparation days as of yet? I really would like to attend the ones this week, but the dates aren't suiting. Because of that, I'm thinking of buying the home package, does anybody have any experience with it? (Is it worth it if what I'm trying to figure out)

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

mac1ntosh wrote: »
    Hey folks. Just have a few questions that if anybody would be able to help with that would be great!

1) Does anybody have the dates that the Stage 1 tests come out on? The information booklet has been removed from the PAS website. I know there's a part 1 & 2 to Stage 1, and they come out on different dates.

2) Has anybody attended the Career Services preparation days as of yet? I really would like to attend the ones this week, but the dates aren't suiting. Because of that, I'm thinking of buying the home package, does anybody have any experience with it? (Is it worth it if what I'm trying to figure out)

Thanks!!

1) give it a few weeks, they are still sorting out application forms etc. I'd be surprised if it isn't sent out by the middle of July.

2) I didn't do it for stage 1 and I passed. I'm awaiting a physical date currently. They are aptitude tests, think yourself how you normally do with them and if you need help go for it.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mrmanor

The person in the other thread said 2000, yes, but they also said that figure was tallied one week before the application deadline. So nobody actually knows yet.
    I really hope it stays in around that figure, if it is 2000 people for 800 positions then the competition surely won't be as competitive as the previous campaigns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Masterkey01

What is the process if you have applied and are accepted onto the next stage, Do they send out an email and when ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Catepillar1994

check your emails - stage 1 has begun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Catepillar1994

public jobs wont load :(

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

public jobs wont load :(

I will wait until 1am to check it out. Too many people logging on at the same time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

Hi does anyone know when will the stage 1 aptitude begin?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Abbey127 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know when will the stage 1 aptitude begin?

Hi,
    Stage 1 Part A, The assessment questionnaire and Basic Job Simulation Exercises, you will have from tomorrow the 13th of June till the 20th of June to complete it.
    Stage 1, Part B, which is the 2 Verbal and Non Verbal reasoning Aptitude tests, you will have from the 27th of June till the 3rd of July to complete these.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tomr10

Hi,
    Just wondering what level of preparation is required for the Part A section of Stage 1, Assessment Questionnaire and Basic Job Simulation Exercises? Unfortunately I haven't really had time to do any thus far due to college exam commitments. (I am finishing up an exchange period abroad) What kind of questions do these exercises entail? Is Part A easier or of similar difficulty to Part B? 
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 P1nkr0ses

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

the trick to that what would you do questionaire is not what would you do but what you think a guard would do.

There is a course from testpreparations.ie that is really good for stage 1 and 2 but that's over now I think. Does anyone know the final figures for applications? I heard 2,000 which would be great haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Over 6,000

"In total, 800 new Garda Recruits will enter the Garda College during 2018 and the recent Garda competition which closed on 7 June attracted over 6,000 applicants."

https://www.irishlegal.com/12975/nearly-200-new-gardai-begin-their-careers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

That's a healthy amount of applications. There'll be good competition so for places. 1 in 7.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

2k-6k is pretty a high demand. Best of luck to all applied! Ready for part B stage one already 💪ðŸ¼ðŸ‘®ðŸ¼

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kamil1999

Im after completing the stage 1a assigment anyone know when will they send us results ?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Kamil1999 wrote: »
    Im after completing the stage 1a assigment anyone know when will they send us results ?

Probably a few weeks, they don't like to rush things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thos23

Would anyone know what type of a result would be required to achieve a good OOM number in the non verbal reasoning? is 80% approx good or would you need higher result to be near the top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

thos23 wrote: »
    Would anyone know what type of a result would be required to achieve a good OOM number in the non verbal reasoning? is 80% approx good or would you need higher result to be near the top?

Is 80% a percentile score against other candidates? Based on the intake of 800 from 6000, you're looking at roughly the top 13% or thereabouts(but thats without looking at other tests, interviews etc). 80% would surely see ya through to the next stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Kamil1999

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Is 80% a percentile score against other candidates? Based on the intake of 800 from 6000, you're looking at roughly the top 13% or thereabouts(but thats without looking at other tests, interviews etc). 80% would surely see ya through to the next stage.

But hows that grading done like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 pedrigo

I'm not an expert but from what I've read and heard most people will struggle to finish all of the questions in the non verbal reasoning part of the assessment. I'd say it is possible to finish them all but you would want to be very good and quick. So taking this into account 80% (roughly 19/24) would be a very high score.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thos23

Sorry, I meant 80% in the actual test, not against other candidates. Non verbal seems alot more difficult than other areas of exam.

thos23 wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant 80% in the actual test, not against other candidates. Non verbal seems alot more difficult than other areas of exam.

Non verbal is actually very very easy if you know how to spot the patterns. Try an online course or something? Think it's too late for the real courses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Does anyone know when the intake to Garda College would be for this campaign as we are only at Stage 1?

• Advertisement
Advertisement