Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Trainee 2018 campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MC1408

Hey guys,
    Make sure to keep a copy of your application. The information on it will be needed for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    How proficient in a 2nd language would you need to be for this ?

Have to pass the PAS Irish test or have a LC or equivalent or higher in the second language.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LukeP26

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Have to pass the PAS Irish test or have a LC or equivalent or higher in the second language.

I have pass level English and foundation level Irish but could I pass some sort of aptitude test as I really only took foundation level out of laziness 8 years ago ? Any help appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

LukeP26 wrote: »
    I have pass level English and foundation level Irish but could I pass some sort of aptitude test as I really only took foundation level out of laziness 8 years ago ? Any help appreciated, thanks.

There is an Irish exam you can do with PAS to get you in, Iv been told it's tough so if your serious about it you should start taking Irish classes sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the reply. I'm also training hard for the fitness test but I'm also wondering, how strict are the instructors for the fitness test? I plan on being able to do above and beyond in terms of what's required I'm just struggling with the 2.4km under the required time at the moment. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. I'm also training hard for the fitness test but I'm also wondering, how strict are the instructors for the fitness test? I plan on being able to do above and beyond in terms of what's required I'm just struggling with the 2.4km under the required time at the moment. Thanks again.

It could be the Guts of 8months before you get your fitness date so I wouldn't worry about that yet.
    They are strict as in, you have to meet the requirements that's set out.
    You'll fly it with a bitta training. Not many men fail the fitness from what I can tell.

It's a beep test which is a 20m shuttle run that starts out slow at 8.5kph and gets progressively faster, in your case 12kph. Males age 18-25 need to reach level 8.8 (8.1 if you are older) which is around the 1400m mark I think. I'd have to look it up.

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    It could be the Guts of 8months before you get your fitness date so I wouldn't worry about that yet.
    They are strict as in, you have to meet the requirements that's set out.
    You'll fly it with a bitta training. Not many men fail the fitness from what I can tell.

Yeah, think more women fail the beep but I have seen a lad or two. But mostly I've seen lads get caught out on the sit ups and push ups because of poor form. Like if two or three or five don't count it means you have to be able to knock out 40 sit ups in under a minute. Same with the push ups. Adrenaline will mostly get you through but I'd be aiming for 30 push ups in training so the 25 will be no bother to you.

But anyone who starts training now won't have any problems.

Thanks for the help lads. So do you not have to do 2.4km in under 12 minutes and 40 seconds? Yeah I'll make sure to aim higher than the requirements and I'll get onto Public Jobs now about organising the Irish test. Thanks again lads.

Thanks for the help lads. So do you not have to do 2.4km in under 12 minutes and 40 seconds? Yeah I'll make sure to aim higher than the requirements and I'll get onto Public Jobs now about organising the Irish test. Thanks again lads.

No it's beep, 8min break, sit ups, push ups, long break, obstacle course, push pull.

You don't need to organise the Irish test. Once you pass the interview PAS will arrange it for you.

I'd read the booklet. It's really helpful and answers most questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Supercron

Elliot192 wrote: »

Sorry to jump in here but I've a basic pass in ordinary level Irish as in a "D" would be of any use?

Thank you

Supercron wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in here but I've a basic pass in ordinary level Irish as in a "D" would be of any use?

Thank you

Yip! That will do just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KealB99

Hoped to apply during this campaign but unfortunately won’t have my leaving cert done and my results got until August. Next year hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

It is about 10 minutes running, you'll be fine. Last October I was 91kg, now after a bit of training, diet change etc, I'm 77kg. If you want it, you'll get it. I'm just waiting for a PCT day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Supercron

Yip! That will do just fine.

Thank you. Hopefully now know one will ask my questions in Irish :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 pedrigo

With the new campaign launched I just have a few quick questions regarding pay.

On attestation I will be elligible for a basic salary of €28,405 plus whatever O.T. and unsociable hours allowances. It says that as I have a 3rd level degree after 2 years I can apply for an additional 2/3 increments.

So my first question is, in addition to the basic salary, on average how much is O.T. and unsociable hours worth per year? (Roughly)

Secondly, does a 3rd level degree qualify you for 2 or 3 increments?

And finally, will you always be 2/3 increments ahead of somone who does not have a 3rd level degree or is this a once off payment?

Any info/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kevin17W

Hi all, I’ve applied for the trainee position in this new campaign (May 2018).
    I hoping to get some advice in relation to the training courses online to help with the various stages of this application.
    I’m just wondering if anyone here did one of these courses and if so was it helpful. Was the sample aptitude tests similar to the actual one? I don’t want to throw away money if not.
    Thank you!!

Kevin17W wrote: »
    Hi all, I’ve applied for the trainee position in this new campaign (May 2018).
    I hoping to get some advice in relation to the training courses online to help with the various stages of this application.
    I’m just wondering if anyone here did one of these courses and if so was it helpful. Was the sample aptitude tests similar to the actual one? I don’t want to throw away money if not.
    Thank you!!

I would highly recommend the career services course! I found it brill, I'm not great at aptitude test so the course really benefited me.

I would highly recommend the career services course! I found it brill, I'm not great at aptitude test so the course really benefited me.

Thank you for replying :-) .
    Is the content you’re given similar to the actual aptitude tests or just generic ones for various jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kerryman85

Is the content you’re given similar to the actual aptitude tests or just generic ones for various jobs?

I agree with FIVE.0, I did the Day course with career services for stage 1 and then the online course for stage 2. Well worth the money and very similar the the real tests for AGS. I’d highly recommend.

• Advertisement

kerryman85 wrote: »
    I agree with FIVE.0, I did the Day course with career services for stage 1 and then the online course for stage 2. Well worth the money and very similar the the real tests for AGS. I’d highly recommend.

Cheers. I must look it up

Yea the career services people are able to predict what style of test comes up because it changes every year. So they concentrate on the style that's coming up. I wouldn't have passed it without them. They are very pricey but worth it if your serious about it. Now at the same time, I know a lot of people that passed without doing the course. You will know yourself if verbal reasoning and abstract reasoning is something you need help with, a lot of people can fly them type of tests, if your good at problem solving and stuff, I know I wasn't one of them but flew them with a good score because of the course.
    Hope that helps make your mind up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Yea the career services people are able to predict what style of test comes up because it changes every year. So they concentrate on the style that's coming up. I wouldn't have passed it without them. They are very pricey but worth it if your serious about it. Now at the same time, I know a lot of people that passed without doing the course. You will know yourself if verbal reasoning and abstract reasoning is something you need help with, a lot of people can fly them type of tests, if your good at problem solving and stuff, I know I wasn't one of them but flew them with a good score because of the course.

I was considering thar as well..

I just can't get the day off work, to attend the course. Would paying the 100 euro for the online practice material be any benifit?

job seeker wrote: »
    I was considering thar as well..

I just can't get the day off work, to attend the course. Would paying the 100 euro for the online practice material be any benifit?

Yea, I had a friend who payed for the online course. If I had of known about that at the time I prob would have done that. Cheaper too. I didn't realise at the time that there was an online one. They give you a log on to a site the supplies you with info about the report writing and all. Really helpful for stage two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Yea, I had a friend who payed for the online course. If I had of known about that at the time I prob would have done that. Cheaper too. I didn't realise at the time that there was an online one. They give you a log on to a site the supplies you with info about the report writing and all. Really helpful for stage two.

Yeah, I guess you're right.. I'd just kinda be afraid of missing things like interview tips etc. That you'd be given if you paid the extra 60 euro for the full course..

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

I. Wouldn't recommend them but that's just me, it's alot to fork out especially if you fail it. Best bet is just prepare yourself! There really isn't much to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kerryman85

I. Wouldn't recommend them but that's just me, it's alot to fork out especially if you fail it. Best bet is just prepare yourself! There really isn't much to it.

The whole point is to prepare enough to not fail or having to wait a year for another campaign.
    Being someone who applied twice, failing the first time cause I didn’t prepare properly, but passing the second time I applied thanks to the courses I did career services, I think your advice is fairly damn poor. If you’re someone that’s serious enough about this career it’s well worth every penny.
    And just to keep in mind, it’s one thing passing, it’s another thing scoring highly so you have a low order of merit. The lower the order of merit you have, the quicker you’ll get in.
    But anyhow, what do I know. Best of luck to all the new candidates.

€100 is a small price to pay to get into the guards. But I can see why people who are generally good at those tests would think they are a waste of money. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

Well I'm just thinking about the shocking price of it, some charge mad money of 150 - 200 euro, but look clearly they offer a decent service but I didn't go for it because of the price alone. My advice is just take hints and tips from here, there really isn't much to it apart from the online psychometric tests

• Advertisement

Cheers I think I’ll go ahead and book them. They seem to be filling up quick.

Just another Question a bit off point and I know I’m getting ahead of myself, but I’d like to know before I fully commit myself.

If successful through all stages and you get to Templemore and complete training. Are you placed where you’re told or how does it work?
    I’m just wondering would they take into account personal circumstances such as a reason to be around home to help care for someone, without effecting the job. I couldn’t see it but any help would be appreciated

Advertisement