Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Army Corporal Court Martialed for sharing vid of female in training.

Options
  • 19-05-2018 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

He posted on Twitter, You want females on the front line, this is what I've to deal with.

The vid was of a young female recruit who was incapable of passing the assault course in basic British army training. She was blubbering and snubbering and her Corporal was giving her hell.

It poses the question. Should women be in the military?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

He posted on Twitter, You want females on the front line, this is what I've to deal with.

The vid was of a young female recruit who was incaple of passing the assault course in basic British army training. She was blubbering and snubbering and her Corporal was giving her hell.

Eh it poses the question should inconsiderate bullies like Mr Corporal be in the Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

OOnegative wrote: »
    Eh it poses the question should inconsiderate bullies like Mr Corporal be in the Army.

Is it not his job to ensure recruits meet a standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

The vid was of a young female recruit who was incapable of passing the assault course in basic British army training. She was blubbering and snubbering and her Corporal was giving her hell.

Women, eh? Pffft. What a bunch of bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No it incorrectly slants against women. Sure, I could assume more women than men would wash out of basic, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t men that wash out blubbering and snubbering as it was put.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

pjohnson wrote: »

And how does posting a video online do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yes instead of normal military training where corporals scream in your face and push you to your absolute physical limit we should have a new type of training where we sit down and discuss our differences around the campfire.

Because that would be excellent preparation for battle....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

We should probably get isis into teach, they're not bullies at all. Considering life in the army is all puppydogs and happiness

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Any man who has gone such training knows how tough it is.

The NCOs treat you like absolute dirt.

Only the real men make it through. They break you down and build you back up as a soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

He was an idiot for taking a video of it.

This is a problem in the western world - if a student in a school or recruit in the military isn't able to make the grade, we blame the people teaching them. Some people are not able to make the grade in the military, and because it is primarily the women, standards have been dropping across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Any man who has gone such training knows how tough it is.

The NCOs treat you like absolute dirt.

Only the real men make it through. They break you down and build you back up as a soldier.

judging by that post, you need to go home and change your pants

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

I'll be happy with woman serving with me, when they start to get treated the same way I do and when they are required to do the same fitness testing I do.

As it stands, the woman's fitness test is a joke and everyone is afraid to put them under any kind of stress.

This PC nonsense has no place in situations where lives are at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

He was an idiot for taking a video of it.

This.

No room for bluberring or snubbering.

You going to do that on the frontline against the enemy?

They're trying to prepare the recruit for all eventualities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

This.

Exactly, why post something like this? for facebook likes?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭badabing106

If your a soldier and you can't mentally handle an inconsiderate bully, then you are not the type of person to excel in the battlefield when you are facing an enemy that's wants you brutally maimed and dead

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The answer is yes obviously - however the more pertinent question is, should bullying corporals be allowed to upload videos to social media of recruits going through tough training regimes, regardless of gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

No room for bluberring or snubbering.

You going to do that on the frontline against the enemy?

They're trying to prepare the recruit for all eventualities.

aaand nope - these two girls blouses "panicked"

"More critically, though, they left Moscow camp that morning without checking the 'out of bounds' board and went on a tour of the city ignorant of what was going on.

"Wood probably just wanted to show Howes around various JCU locations and maybe a few of the main hot spots too, but this was not part of any official handover procedure. Wood was showboating.

"Had he checked the board, he would have seen that all of Belfast and most of the rest of Northern Ireland was coded red that day.

"When they blundered into the funeral cortege on the Andersonstown Road, they panicked.

The answer is yes obviously - however the more pertinent question is, should bullying corporals be allowed to upload videos to social media of recruits going through tough training regimes, regardless of gender.
    In what role though?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yes it is.

It’s also his job to act as an Army officer which I’m sure involves a code of ethics and a chain of command. He should have passed his issues up the chain and not shared a video of a woman without her permission. That is not the behaviour of a leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The ladies never find the door

Exactly, why post something like this? for facebook likes?:confused:

People are very quick to use their camera, or jump onto facebook for likes.

Two examples.

Almost a year ago July 24 2017 myself and a Garda were first on scene of a motorcycle accident, we gave CPR (7 cycles so for about 15 minutes), then the first ambulance showed up (there was two casualties) with advanced paramedics and doctors.

People were taking photos (and I presume video) of the whole scene.

WARNING photos of the scene included in this article

Another example.

I'd an inlaw diagnosed with cancer recently. On leaving the hospital he dropped into his sister before going home to tell his wife and daughter.

While he was having tea in his sisters, the sister and her son were posting about his diagnoses on facebook for likes.. Guess how his wife discovered her husband had stage four bowel cancer?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

If your a soldier and you can't mentally handle an inconsiderate bully, then you are not the type of person to excel in the battlefield when you are facing an enemy that's wants you brutally maimed and dead

This is true and basic training should allow the trainer to pass or fail the trainee based on agreed criteria.

But if you want to make a public political statement like below don't be suprised if your bosses get a little upset when you use work product to illustrate your point.

There's a massive difference between bullying and robust military training, there is absolutely no place for a bully in the military or anywhere else in life.

There is no excuse for an bullying, military or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

In the military, people are treated in a way that would never be tolerated in the "real world". The military has its own court service outside of the civilian legal system to deal with complaints.

Soldiers are willing to put up with the treatment on the understanding that it's necessary, it's part of the culture of the military, it's not personal. After being cursed at by an NCO, after being screamed at, after being called all sorts of names, you'll all be drinking in the mess together that night. And should you and the NCO serve together, you'll depend on eachother. The bad treatment is quickly forgotten.

Soldiers and societies all around the world tolerate this because it works. It produces fighting forces that couldn't be reproduced in a caring-sharing atmosphere of inclusion and feelings.

This corporal has exposed his (harsh but perhaps acceptable) treatment of a soldier to the outside world, publicly shaming her. He has behaved badly and stupidly. I doubt he now has the trust of his subordinates. The system will make an example of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

dudara wrote: »
    Yes it is.

It’s also his job to act as an Army officer which I’m sure involves a code of ethics and a chain of command. He should have passed his issues up the chain and not shared a video of a woman without her permission. That is not the behaviour of a leader.

Corporals are not officers. They are their to do the dirty work for the officers.

Now that does not include posting videos online like a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A lot of the women are highly rated especially as they tend to use their brains to make up for their brawn.

Discodog wrote: »
    A lot of the women are highly rated especially as they tend to use their brains to make up for their brawn.
    Bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Why are we using a single physically incapable women as a representive of all women?

Why are we not doing the same for guys?

Advertisement