Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League on pay TV only?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RTÉ2 have the Champions League final again on at 7pm this Saturday the 3rd of June which is great.

There is also a special programme of Champions League Magazine which starts at 6pm on RTÉ2.

This should feature something on the CL final & the overall best action of the tournament.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It is the syndicated UEFA programme, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Details of german champions league rights slowing tricking out and its as expected.
    Free to air ZDF will have nothing and private FTA stations also not getting any games.
    Sky remains the main broadcaster with DAZN proving online coverage of some extent.
    So for the first time, as per the thread title, "Champions League on pay TV only" is now what Germany is facing.

In Austria national broadcaster ORF also not covering it, but for them it was a quandry as how can a public broadcaster reconcile a remit to be relevant to its national interests when no team from the country ever gets to the knock out stages, if even to the group stages in the first place. So again another country to join the list of "Champions League on pay TV only"

Small article in German. http://www.rp-online.de/sport/fussball/champions-league/champions-league-nur-noch-bei-sky-und-dazn-zdf-verliert-rechte-aid-1.6881274
    I'll link the official info whenever Uefa bother to acknowledge the news

Short piece in English:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/skys-german-unit-signs-champions-league-deal-2017-06-13

That UEFA have been willing to give Sky exclusivity in Austria especially doesn't bode well for TV3 and RTE retaining rights. It shows that even in smaller markets UEFA is now willing to do a pay TV exclusive deal.

The only difference between Ireland and Austria I can see is that Sky Germany were looking for rights for the 2 countries whereas BT Sports isnt.

But, at the same time it does show that the UK deal wasn't a one off and Uefa will go pay tv only should they get a premium price. With pressure from some clubs to consider a breakaway european super league, UEFA dont really have a lot of choice.

And from a germany perspective, I saw a lot of comments recently in the german press that the last team in the Premier League got more in prize money for their ineptitude than Real Madrid for winning the champions league.
    There's an increasing awareness on the continent that the champions league is risking loosing its status as the premier competition unless more cash is generated..... which leaves UEFA having to go down the pay-tv only route in more and more countries .

Just as a side issue of what little champions league might be left on free tv in Europe, I see its not listed as a designated sporting event of importance in Ireland. Has anyone a link to a list of what events are listed across Europe ? (I searched and came up with nothing)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Interesting to see if Eir/BT get all rights in ROI or if they do a deal with Tv3 for example for 1 fta match a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Badabing wrote: »
    Interesting to see if Eir/BT get all rights in ROI or if they do a deal with Tv3 for example for 1 fta match a week.

I do not think Eir would have a big enough viewership to pull off a deal like that, BT are only with Eir because Eir bought Setanta out, I can see Virgin striking up a deal with BT when their contract with Eir comes up for renewal...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I don't see why Sky, BT or eir would ever have to do a deal with a FTA channel. With the execption of eir both Sky and BT have FTA channels (PICK, CHALLENGE, BT SHOWCASE and so on) which they could use. It wouldn't be difficult for eir to set up a FTA channel in Ireland.

Though both Sky and BT would have to make a better effort of their FTA channels neither should be doing worse in audience than Channel 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/uefaorg/Marketing/01/62/45/02/1624502_DOWNLOAD.pdf

I see from the UEFA document that the tender for Germany, Austria and Switzerland were issued on the same day, 6 March. I guess they submitted a combined bid for both countries.

Wasn't this seen/discussed as one of their objectives when they came under the one umbrella a few years ago, the possibility of pan European bids for sports packages in markets in which they operate, UK/IRL, Ger/Aus and Italy.

• Advertisement

UEFA don't care anymore about FTA or the viewership. The terms of their new deal with BT (under which BT will be released from their obligation to show a number of games on BT showcase) shows that all UEFA now care about is the size of the cheque the highest bidder is prepared to write.

The Cush wrote: »
    http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/uefaorg/Marketing/01/62/45/02/1624502_DOWNLOAD.pdf

I see from the UEFA document that the tender for Germany, Austria and Switzerland were issued on the same day, 6 March. I guess they submitted a combined bid for both countries.

Wasn't this seen/discussed as one of their objectives when they came under the one umbrella a few years ago, the possibility of pan European bids for sports packages in markets in which they operate, UK/IRL, Ger/Aus and Italy.

Sky Germany and Austria already were the one operation. Sky Austria is no more independent from Sky Germany than Sky Ireland is from Sky UK (that is to say, not at all).

icdg wrote: »
    Sky Germany and Austria already were the one operation. Sky Austria is no more independent from Sky Germany than Sky Ireland is from Sky UK (that is to say, not at all).

Yes, I was aware of that but UEFA issued separate tenders for both countries. Surprising that they didn't do the same for the RoI media rights when they issued the UK tender.

Regarding the pan-European bid I mentioned earlier, the discussion at the time IIRC was they might have bid for all 5 markets in one go but I guess UEFA aren't interested in such a bidding process.

just to go back to what Champions league games must be shown in Germany by law which sortof becomes important now that all is behind a paywall, theres only a need to show the final when theres a german team in it. Otherwise, no obligation to show a single game.

On another news site its mentioned that the odd game may get shown on Sky Sport news which is unscrambled in Germany, but thats not even confirmed by sky yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Facebook have signed a deal with FOX Sports in the USA to live stream certain exclusive Champions League games from September.

The games on Facebook will be geo-blocked to USA audiences only.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/facebook-to-live-stream-champions-league-football

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-27/facebook-to-stream-live-champions-league-soccer-in-deal-with-fox

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Facebook have signed a deal with FOX Sports in the USA to live stream certain exclusive Champions League games from September.

The games on Facebook will be geo-blocked to USA audiences only.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/facebook-to-live-stream-champions-league-football

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-27/facebook-to-stream-live-champions-league-soccer-in-deal-with-fox
    NBCUniversal is to allow viewers stream live Premier League matches without a cable subscription. Instead, viewers can pay $50 for a Premier League Pass, which will give them access to 130 live matches.

Now that is something worth the payment!

Remember the market it's being offered in...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Remember the market it's being offered in...

And the timezone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

NBC had all 380 EPL games live if you had the channel on cable, so there are a lot of unhappy footy fans in the US now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Has it been revealed yet about the Irish rights for Champions League? I assume the current deal ends at the end of this season?

iseegirls wrote: »
    Has it been revealed yet about the Irish rights for Champions League? I assume the current deal ends at the end of this season?

Looks like the Irish tender hasn't been issued yet - www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/uefaorg/Marketing/01/62/45/02/1624502_DOWNLOAD.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

In the UK BT showcase has finished on freeview, with BT's new rights they no longer have to show FTA Champions league or Europa league.
    Last game was shown 31st of March.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    In the UK BT showcase has finished on freeview, with BT's new rights they no longer have to show FTA Champions league or Europa league.
    Last game was shown 31st of March.

Are there any indications of possible sub-licensing deals being done with ITV & Ch4? There was speculation about this when these rights were awarded to BT in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Free TV for Champions League is no more in Germany as well from next season. Sky and DAZN now have the rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

According to a516 digital, in April BT got the new rights with no stipulation to show FTA.

As far as I know BT may still show some Champion's league games online for UK viewers.

No mention of ITV/C4 on rights.

I lost BT showcase on freeview since it went HD, I don't have a DVB-T2 receiver.
    I believe it's just showing a promotional loop now. It's not showing it's normal Saturday football score show either I believe.

The Cush wrote: »

It’s bizzare, the new rights period is just four months away and I’m struggling to see another European country that hasn’t at least gone to tender. In fact as I recall Ireland was on a previously issued list that said the tender was issuing before Christmas but obviously that didn’t happen.

As for the UK deal (which also covers Ireland on a non exclusive basis) BT are, as of the start of next season, no longer committed to making any UEFA club football free to view other than the finals of both competitions.

It’s bizzare, the new rights period is just four months away and I’m struggling to see another European country that hasn’t at least gone to tender. In fact as I recall Ireland was on a previously issued list that said the tender was issuing before Christmas but obviously that didn’t happen.

Last time round the Irish media rights were tendered the previous Oct (2014) for the 2015-18 cycle.

In addition to the Rep. Ireland there are 6 other countries yet to be tendered incl. Russia according to that almost 2 month old UEFA press release. The tender may have gone out since it was published. For the same period in 2015 there were 10 tenders issued with the last going out in early May.

Even for those countries that had invitations to tenders issued already quite a few yet to finalise contracts.

In addition the successful bid for the Irish media rights for the Nations League is yet to be announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

iseegirls wrote: »

Rte have Tuesday night
    Tv3 have Wednesday night CL plus Thursday Europa League

Advertisement