Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League on pay TV only?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Are they just UK rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Are they just UK rights?

it says UK rights only. Although normally it covers overspill rights for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

We're lucky to have currently 2 nights free to air on RTE and TV3, considering what's going on in the UK. Hopefully this will continue into the next Irish deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It is a big disappointment for ITV when you think about it.

They were the first broadcasters to show The Champions League in the UK all those years ago.

The only football ITV have now is the England International Friendlies & Euros and WC.

No club football is left with ITV after this new CL deal is gone to BT. The only free club football in the UK is from the BBC & Channel 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Not great news for those hoping for ITV to regain the first pick matches on a Tuesday.

Its all about money I suppose and UEFA dont seem to care for those who cant afford Sky & Bt.

• Advertisement

The extended part of this deal starts in Autumn 2018, so ITV will have the highlights package for the rest of this season and all of next season I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

The extended part of this deal starts in Autumn 2018, so ITV will have the highlights package for the rest of this season and all of next season I'm guessing.

Not much consolation for UK terrestrial only viewers in UK but there are now lots of ways of watching these matches on the internet including highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

looks like in Germany its going from 1 live game per week on the national broadcaster to all behind a pay wall, split between Sky (all games) and streaming service DAZN who have some of the games.
    http://www.digitalfernsehen.de/Champions-League-Free-TV-Aus-beschlossen.152652.0.html

as for options online which is mentioned as being easy and widespread, from what I can see, reliability of dodgy streams online for premier league and champions league has plummeted in in the past few weeks so not something that I'd want to rely on for watching an important game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

looks like in Germany its going from 1 live game per week on the national broadcaster to all behind a pay wall, split between Sky (all games) and streaming service DAZN who have some of the games.
    http://www.digitalfernsehen.de/Champions-League-Free-TV-Aus-beschlossen.152652.0.html

as for options online which is mentioned as being easy and widespread, from what I can see, reliability of dodgy streams online for premier league and champions league has plummeted in in the past few weeks so not something that I'd want to rely on for watching an important game.

disappointing to hear as it was handy having the wed night game in HD on ZDF, although they had the Madrid derby on last night.

I suppose the Europa league will go the same route away from sport 1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

kooga wrote: »
    disappointing to hear as it was handy having the wed night game in HD on ZDF, although they had the Madrid derby on last night.

I suppose the Europa league will go the same route away from sport 1
    dont start, I was watching TV3 online on a less than perfect stream when I could have just turned on the flippin telly.

I cant find anything current but a month ago the status was that Sport1 were interested in continuing with coverage. Then again so were ZDF which is now looking like being beyond their means.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Mobile phone company SFR have won the exclusive French rights to all UEFA club football. Potentially bad news from French sports fans now looking at three subscriptions (Canal+, BeIN Sports, and SFR) for everything.

Again it seems the BT deal is showing the way, UEFA no longer seem to fear doing exclusive deals with a single pay TV broadcaster in markets. Makes you think that if Eir were to come along with the right offer for the exclusive Irish rights they could snap them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Another kick for fta european football, on freeview BT Showcase has switched to hd, so freeview devices without hd can no longer watch Champions and Europa league Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Another kick for fta european football, on freeview BT Showcase has switched to hd, so freeview devices without hd can no longer watch Champions and Europa league Football.

The HD version of the channel is on 115. People affected by the changes can still watch the games for free by streaming the matches online or through Virgin Media UK if they lost access to the standard definition channel on Freeview. It's still a big drop from 90% to 75% of Freeview viewers though.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/05/bt-showcase-changes-who-can-still.html

I'm not convinced BT Showcase will last long anyway once BT get released from their commitment to show Champions League games FTA in the next contract period.

Whats the situation with the Europa League Final next week? Only on pay tv or is it also on FTA platforms too?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Whats the situation with the Europa League Final next week? Only on pay tv or is it also on FTA platforms too?

From the TV3 thread earlier
    iseegirls wrote: »
    Two Cup Finals coming up on TV3 over the next two weeks. But has seen some odd shuffling of shows around.

Next Wednesday, Europa League live on TV3 at 7:30. Build up on 3e at 7pm. However they have moved Coronation Street to 3e at 7:30. Wouldn't it make more sense to have Coronation Street on Be3, as Be3 mainly show the repeats of the show, whereby it hasn't been on 3e since about 2009.

For the FA Cup on Saturday week, TV3 showing the match from 4-8pm. TV3 have shifted the News At 5:30 to 3e. Again, another strange one. Why not place on Be3 - where they already show news at 7 and 10 every weekday - whereby 3e haven't shown any news since fyi stopped 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

After Man United qualified, it was always likely to be shown on the main channel. Seem to recall the 2015 final was relegated to 3e (Sevilla-Dnipro).

Happy to see this final FTA on a terrestrial broadcaster. RoI viewers seem to be doing better here with regards to broadcasting rights than viewers in the UK. Will it continue though considering that from 2018 both the CL & EL live matches and highlights go entirely behind a paywall in the UK? Would Eirsport make a bid for the whole lot here I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Happy to see this final FTA on a terrestrial broadcaster. RoI viewers seem to be doing better here with regards to broadcasting rights than viewers in the UK. Will it continue though considering that from 2018 both the CL & EL live matches and highlights go entirely behind a paywall in the UK? Would Eirsport make a bid for the whole lot here I wonder?

Is it not behind a pay wall in UK already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

No, its on BT Showcase HD on Freeview HD devices

• Advertisement

They will be released from that obligation at the end of next season, and I don't expect BT Showcase to last much longer after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

FRIENDO wrote: »
    No, its on BT Showcase HD on Freeview HD devices

The regular BT channel bt sports 2 i think was clearing last night for the final in sd.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The regular BT channel bt sports 2 i think was clearing last night for the final in sd.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/05/free-2017-champions-and-europa-league.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

It is, bar the highlights which will be on ITV again next season. But from Autumn 2018 everything is on the BT platform. So in this context it will be interesting to see how the RoI rights will be handled in the future. Could Eirsport make bid for the whole package with RTE & TV3 losing out?

Maybe the finals could be made FTA as the EL final was last night on BT Sports 2 even if Eirsport does win the rights.

Just wondering, did BT2 go completely FTA last night, ie was it available on any FTA satellite receiver, not just a Sky box with an active card?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Just wondering, did BT2 go completely FTA last night, ie was it available on any FTA satellite receiver, not just a Sky box with an active card?

It wasn't available on my box so must have been FTV.

lertsnim wrote: »

FTV to protect the broadcasting rights then i'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

lertsnim wrote: »

on that is Eir sport ever FTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

FTV to protect the broadcasting rights then i'm guessing.

Probably. German channel Sport 1 showed it FTA across the whole of Europe though

• Advertisement

One explanation I've heard is that rights holders regard language as a helpful barrier in protecting national rights but not for English language broadcasters. Don't know how true that is though. Germany has a long history both of free to air Broadcasting and satellite distribution (along with a historically weak pay-TV sector) but I'm not sure how Austrian and Swiss rights holders cope with same. (Maybe they don't - I am always weary of taking Wikipedia as a source, but a list of the top ten viewed channels in Austria shows PSB ORF1&2 at the top - followed entirely by a mix of German channels and Austrian commercial channels owned by German companies. Not unlike Ireland really).

Advertisement