Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League on pay TV only?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

alwald wrote: »
    How can I get BT sport by itself in Ireland?

I assume you can get a card from The uk nothing suggesting it's illegal to just get BT on its own similar to that but that organised it's football through another EU country ???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Except that BT will not sell a subscription to a Republic of Ireland address. More to the point I'm not sure why you want to go down that route, at £13.50pm (€18.20 before you pay commission) t's nearly as expensive as Setanta and a lot of trouble to go to for a very small saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

icdg wrote: »
    Except that BT will not sell a subscription to a Republic of Ireland address. More to the point I'm not sure why you want to go down that route, at £13.50pm (€18.20 before you pay commission) t's nearly as expensive as Setanta and a lot of trouble to go to for a very small saving.

I wan't even aware about the price so in the first place I asked the question just to know if it was possible to get BT in Ireland as it seems that they have more selection than Setanta, the fact that they have an app and online option is a plus too.

alwald wrote: »
    I wan't even aware about the price so in the first place I asked the question just to know if it was possible to get BT in Ireland as it seems that they have more selection than Setanta, the fact that they have an app and online option is a plus too.

BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN are part of the Setanta package, so you're literally getting everything you could get direct from BT via Setanta except the aforesaid app and online option (which Setanta have promised to provide but are yet to unviel). The Europa League games on BT currently blocked in Ireland won't be from September on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN are part of the Setanta package, so you're literally getting everything via Setanta except the aforesaid app and online option (which Setanta have promised to provide but are yet to unviel). The Europa League games on BT currently blocked in Ireland won't be from September on.

Fair enough, I wasn't fully aware that Setanta offer BT as part of the deal, the big issue that I am having (I think I mentioned it earlier) is that Setanta cannot be gotten by itself, a SKY box is a must....I would love if they offer the online/mobile option for those who don't wish to buy a sky box and install a satellite dish and so on...

• Advertisement

You don't need an Sky subscription, as long as you have a satellite dish. Second hand Sky boxes can be picked up on eBay for a song or you may know a former subscriber shifting to Freesat who is willing to give away their STB or part with it for a cheap payment. Any Sky STB will do, Setanta will provide the viewing card if you don't have a subscription to Sky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

kooga wrote: »
    and BT sport sits above them all with everything (non geo blocked for ROI?)

setanta ireland will not be showing champions league live games as BT Sport's channels will show the live games as part of the setanta pack

what is the point of setanta showing the same games

ftakeith wrote: »
    setanta ireland will not be showing champions league live games as BT Sport's channels as part of the setanta pack

? Will they block BT Sport's coverage when the same match airs on a Setanta Channel, but keep the remainder?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

setanta ireland will not be showing champions league live games as BT Sport's channels will show the live games as part of the setanta pack

Promotion would be a good reason for them to show games on Setanta Ireland plus Setanta will want the English clubs shown on their channels for advertising reasons. Why would they leave those matches to RTÉ/TV3 and BT Sport? That makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

You dont know that for sure. I would reasonably predict that either Setanta Ireland or Setanta 1(less likely as its a simulcast of Premier most nights), will be showing matches as there will be 8 matches most rounds. On a Wednesday night you could have for example RTE, Setanta Ireland, Setanta 1, BT sport 1 & 2 and red button. The only difference next year is that Sky wil not be showing any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Elmo wrote: »
    Looks that way. I think RTÉ 2 have Wednesday Night with TV3 on Tuesday night.
    They'd want to get adding that HD stream of tv3 so.

below is a reply from setanta sports today
    Setanta will have live champions/europa league games on their own tv channels next season alongside BT Sport's live games also
    Of course the setanta tv channels in HD promised again

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at @setanta.com> wrote:
    Hi Keith,

I can’t answer all of your questions at present but hopefully the below will give you a good steer.

Rgds,

Sent: 13 February 2015 12:14
    To:
    Subject: 2015-2016 season

As a Setanta pack on sky customer, can I subscribe again to it for 13 months at €200 in October 2015.
    Currently its 12 months for €199. A similar type of offer will be available although the price could vary slightly.
    Its better value than Sky Sports, I have never subscribed to Sky Sports.
    I got the setanta pack for live European football/rugby games, not for English football

Will BT Sport show every live champions league and europa league games and setanta's own channels won't show any of the live content. It will be a mix with all games on BT Sport but also many of the live games on the Setanta Ireland channel.

I know TV3/RTE2 have first choice picks in ireland in the champions league.
    But my family mostly watched setanta's own coverage as it better live games and your coverage was better than tv3/rte2

Good to hear.

Try to make the setanta channels HD as soon as possible
    Hope to make an announcement soon.

Try to sublicence the 230pm German Bundesliga live games on saturdays from BT Sports to be shown live on Setanta Ireland
    At the moment I watch these live games on Bet365.com.
    There are thousands of people in ireland that would watch these games instead of the Racing UK live feeds

You should put Setanta Ireland on saorview as a teaser TV channel for the setanta pack such as the live F1, live European football etc

Keith Finglas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Went to watch the champs league on UTV. GONE.

Left to watch it on TV3. UPC are twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Went to watch the champs league on UTV. GONE.

Left to watch it on TV3. UPC are twats.
    Just get a FTA satellite! .. After this years final it will be TV3 or BT so you might be getting slightly more angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

irishfeen wrote: »
    Just get a FTA satellite! .. After this years final it will be TV3 or BT so you might be getting slightly more angry.

The Final is guaranteed FTA on BT Sport; and will also be on Setanta Sports.

Unlikely to be actually strictly speaking FTA on BT Sport due to rights issues; more likely to be FTV (ie available to all with a Sky viewing card), streamed to all UK IPs on BT Sport website, or sublicenced to a UK FTA broadcaster. Note that being FTA on BT Sport would keep it off both Freesat and Freeview.

It will be FTA on Saorview on RTE Two, of course (not TV3, though the latter will have the Super Cup)

None of this has anything to do with UTV of course, who don't really have any control over any of this. I wouldn't advise investing in free to air satellite if your sole purpose is to watch the Champions League on ITV (though there are many other reasons to do so!)

Unlikely to be actually strictly speaking FTA on BT Sport due to rights issues; more likely to be FTV (ie available to all with a Sky viewing card), streamed to all UK IPs on BT Sport website, or sublicenced to a UK FTA broadcaster. Note that being FTA on BT Sport would keep it off both Freesat and Freeview.

It will be FTA on Saorview on RTE Two, of course (not TV3, though the latter will have the Super Cup)

RTE2hd will have this year's final and the next 3 years ones also

I doubt regional restrictions - in the form of even soft encryption - are either necessary or required in the case of the Final - the game will be on many FTA broadcasters all over Europe and has been FTA on ITV (on satellite) for many, many years!

In fact it is almost certain that UEFA want maximum exposure for their sponsors which is why BT Sport made the strange guarantee that some games will be free - including the Final.

In addition being FTA on satellite would enable it to be tuned in on Freesat tuners and we don't know yet what BT will do in relation to Freeview.

Of course all of this is conjecture and your guess in this case is as good as mine - or vice versa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Think you mean FTV.

None of this has anything to do with UTV of course, who don't really have any control over any of this. I wouldn't advise investing in free to air satellite if your sole purpose is to watch the Champions League on ITV (though there are many other reasons to do so!)

ICDG

most people get fta satellie with saorview

so 70 live champions league live games on tv3 and rte2

• Advertisement

ICDG

most people get fta satellie with saorview

so 70 live champions league live games on tv3 and rte2

His point was that there is no point in getting FTA satellite for Champions League as ITV lose the rights at the end of this season.

Think you mean FTV.

Either or works in this context, BT Sport isn't on either platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

radiowaves wrote: »
    His point was that there is no point in getting FTA satellite for Champions League as ITV lose the rights at the end of this season.

But there are still going to be two games per week FTA on Irish television for the next three years? Even if he lives in the North, still fairly easy to get them on a platform.

But there are still going to be two games per week FTA on Irish television for the next three years? Even if he lives in the North, still fairly easy to get them on a platform.

They are not FTA on satellite; although I'm thinking there's a lot of misunderstandings in the past few posts (I'm accepting a level of responsibility) :)

They are not FTA on satellite; although I'm thinking there's a lot of misunderstandings in the past few posts (I'm accepting a level of responsibility) :)
    Technically they will be FTA via Saorsat :) ..

Technically they will be FTA via Saorsat :) ..

Technically that would be just one game a week and ITV isn't on Saorsat :)

Technically that would be just one game a week and ITV isn't on Saorsat :)
    I wonder is UTVI??

I wonder is UTVI??

Wonder no more, it's not (and unlikely ever to be) :)

Will BT just put it in the clear on FreeView? FTV on cable services/Pay Satellite?
    Have they made announcement on how they plan to provide a certain number of games FTA/FTV? And will UPC Ireland be included in there FTV plans?

• Advertisement

Nope no announcement. They pulled the BT Sport channels from DTT so no Freeview. I don't think UPC Ireland will be included in any plans though obviously Setanta Plus subscribers will be able to see BT's coverage.

We've gone way off topic here so when I get home I'm going to move all the Champions League related posts to the Champions League thread

Advertisement