Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League on pay TV only?

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I wonder with the new rights will the games be shown on RTE2 SAORSAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Virgin Sport channel incoming imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Schwanz wrote: »
    Virgin Sport channel incoming imo

I've seen a few people mention this. What's the thinking behind it? On Virgin platform only? Surely that will rule out a large chunk of the country that can't get Virgin at all... And another subscription seems wasteful at this point...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

If Virgin launch a new sports channel I imagine that it will available across all pay platforms, most likely on the basic package, but might just be available on Virgin's basic package, a similar situation to Setanta Sport 1, where its part of a sports package on Sky.

You might also see the games on Virgins On Demand service available only on via PayTV providers On Demand service, as part of TV3's Player, and online for Virgin's Broadband customers only.

I can't imagine it being much more premium than that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

dulpit wrote: »
    I've seen a few people mention this. What's the thinking behind it? On Virgin platform only? Surely that will rule out a large chunk of the country that can't get Virgin at all... And another subscription seems wasteful at this point...

I can’t see it happening without more content. Three nights of content for 16 weeks of the year does not a sports channel make. Unless they bought eir Sport, if it went up for sale (and the last people eir would want to sell to would be a direct rival).

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    I can’t see it happening without more content. Three nights of content for 16 weeks of the year does not a sports channel make. Unless they bought eir Sport, if it went up for sale (and the last people eir would want to sell to would be a direct rival).

Plus repeats of all games and highlights, sports news and extras for TV3's other live sports, UFC highlights. Not impossible.

SBP making similar comments on a pay aspect to this deal.

Got an email through from Virgin with the following.

As a Virgin Media Digital TV customer you get access to all 343 games across the UEFA Champions League and Europa League for the 18/19 season. That's the play offs right through to the pièce de résistance all at no extra cost.
    Dramatic comebacks? Incredible bicycle kicks? Burnley conquering Europe? No matter what happens don’t miss a minute of the action from the comfort of your own home, even catch it on the go with the TV Anywhere App.
    We’re turning your TV into the home of European football.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have just found that UFEA have uploaded their new look for The Europa League which includes their new intro after been announced on their website. The changes to the new look Europa League will begin at the start of this upcoming season. If you watch the new match rights from TV3/3e within this upcoming season; this new intro will be used for introducing all of their live Europa League match coverage. It will also be applied to other broadcasters based outside of Ireland from this autumn.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/news/newsid=2561028.html

Much better music than the “clap” intro they’ve been using for the past three years, but still not as good as the original.

• Advertisement

I'm wondering will we have a red button on VM for next season's CL?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 alan.p22

Or new channels id say is more likely

When they had BT Sport, all the red button services were allocated LCNs. Seemingly Horizon can’t do red button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Elmo wrote: »
    SBP making similar comments on a pay aspect to this deal.

- The same newspaper was telling us Virgin was going to launch a news channel last year.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - The same newspaper was telling us Virgin was going to launch a news channel last year.

They took that from TV3 and virgin quickly stated that wasn't happening. Newspapers are too fond of taking people's word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

Is it possible to add a pay per view channel to SAORSAT?

No, although the only things shown on pay per view here are boxing and WWE anyway.

Advertisement