Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of luck. It feels like a sub 20 kinda day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Good luck tonight, you're flyin' it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Thanks for the well wishes folks! Thrilled, delighted and excited! A 1:24ish improvement on my PB which now stands at 19:23 (on my watch). I probably lost 4/5 seconds to the gun so it'll officially probably be 19:28. Made up I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Thanks for the well wishes folks! Thrilled, delighted and excited! A 1:24ish improvement on my PB which now stands at 19:23 (on my watch). I probably lost 4/5 seconds to the gun so it'll officially probably be 19:28. Made up I am.

unless you are standing on the line when the gun went off, go by chip time :D so 19.23 it is :D

Delighted for you Sean, well done again. your hard work has paid off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Terrific, many congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Wow, well done! Incredible stuff, super time. You must be over the moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Delighted for you S, you earned it, i hope you're still buzzing today!

Week ending 6/15/18 Week 6 Grads 5/10k plan.

Monday 30th: Plan and actual was 30 mins @ recovery pace. 3 miles @ 9:54 all on the grass football pitches of the local park.

Tuesday 1st: Again more very easy miles. The 60 planned minutes got me another 6.2 miles in the bag. Took it very easy with the BHAA race scheduled for the following evening.

Wednesday 2nd: My first BHAA race, the Bristol Myers Squibb 5k. I wasn't sure what to expect from this but had decided to try for a PB of a few seconds by doing as close as I could to 4:06 per km to hit 20:30 or thereabouts. The day at work was mad busy however and I was on my feet all day. Wasn't feeling great or very optimistic beforehand. I met Damo for a bit of a warm up and then headed to the start while Damo ran back to drop off the gear :D

The race itself was a bit of a weird experience. I've gotten very good at ignoring the charge off the line and just settling into my own pace. Sure enough I was caught in a stampede and it felt like half the field ran past me as I trundled along. After about 500 metres I looked at the watch to see if I needed to pick up the pace....3:35 pace! ****, slow down!! Just before the first Km I looked ahead and could see Damo about 50 metres ahead. Cool, that's about what he should be gaining every km....watch beeps, first Km 3:53! Decision time....slow down more or bite the bullet, God knows when I might get the chance again. Felt very comfortable so decided to stick with it. The next 2 Kms were 3:56 and 3:54. My mind was in overdrive working out how much I could slow down 'when', not if, the fatigue really kicked in. At this point I noticed Damos group was no further ahead, perhaps even a bit closer. I kept at it with the watch showing a nearly constant 3:55 pace. I was passing lots of runners at this point and actually reeled in Damos group quite quickly. This Km clocked in at 3:52. I sat in behind the 4/5 lads and decided I'd try stay there until the end. Was as comfortable as I could ever hope to be at that pace. Tucked in nicely for about 500 metres until Damo noticed me and encouraged a fast finish. In that second comfortable became hanging on. It felt like I was slowing badly but there must have been something left as I later saw the last k was 3:38. I crossed the line 1 place and one second behind Damo and stopped the watch 19:23!!! A 1:24 PB. Sub 20! I was flabbergasted and thrilled all at once!!! In fairness Damo was thrilled for me. I said it before and I'll say it again he's a great young fella.

Had a great spread after, some gorgeous noodles, raw veg and Ramen broth. It was a brilliantly organised race, top drawer. Gun time ended up being 19:25 so I'll take that. 3rd in the male O50s, not a prize but also something beyond I ever believed I could do.

Thursday 3rd: So one of the 'rewards' of a big PB are shiny new slightly faster training paces! As a result my 30 minute recovery run came to 3.4 miles @ 9:12

Friday 4th: Another very easy run of about an hour. 7.2 miles @9:08

Saturday 5th: Plan had this as a session day of threshold intervals but I decided to do Poppintree Parkrun at threshold instead. The scary bit was that my new threshold is nearly 10 secs a km faster than the old one!! I jogged up and as I entered the park I saw Wubble jogging along. Continued a warmup in his excellent company. Set out on pace and pretty much kept it at 4:10 as planned all the way. However with some of the tight bends the course ended up short on Garmin so my 20:23 was actually a 4:06 pace. It felt harder than I expected maybe because it was too fast, maybe because of Wednesday's exertions or maybe because of a few beers the night before! :rolleyes:
    Wubble finished shortly afterwards in his best time for a while. I think we'll be sharing the same stretches of Tarmac very soon!!

Sunday 6th: Oh wow what a morning. I was in the Phoenix Park at about 7:45 and it was beautifully mild. 2 idyllic laps of the park later I had 13.4 miles added to the weeks tally at an 8:49 per mile average.

So that was the week that was, an ambition achieved so thrilled to bits! :D

Weekly Miles: 46.9
    Monthly Miles: 43.9
    YTD Miles: 802

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Brilliant SB! A great read and congrats once again on that pb.

There's a lot to be said for ignoring the watch sometimes isn't there? ;) Not sure if you've read Duaningtons report from Tallaght but we could all learn a lesson from that and from your 5k. If you can dial in running on feel for a 5k that's the way to go. Great run and a massive pb. Those watches make us run within ourselves sometimes.

• Advertisement

There's a lot to be said for ignoring the watch sometimes isn't there? ;) Not sure if you've read Duaningtons report from Tallaght but we could all learn a lesson from that and from your 5k. If you can dial in running on feel for a 5k that's the way to go. Great run and a massive pb. Those watches make us run within ourselves sometimes.

I haven't read it but I'm on my way to it now. That being said I don't think I'm near to being able to do that yet. At 4.1 km I would have felt reasonably comfortable with a strong finish in the tank. At 4.2 I had jelly legs!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super work. Great improvement in the PB.

skyblue46 wrote:
    I haven't read it but I'm on my way to it now. That being said I don't think I'm near to being able to do that yet. At 4.1 km I would have felt reasonably comfortable with a strong finish in the tank. At 4.2 I had jelly legs!!

That sounds about the right way to approach a 5k!

Super work. Great improvement in the PB.

Ah it was a fast flat course. :pac: Dare I say it but you missed a trick there by heading to places rural!

Nicely done S and great running :D it is so nice when you achieve your goal well deserved PB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant stuff Sean; great to see you being rewarded for the quality training you have been putting in the last while.

More of the same to come over the summer!

Brilliant performance S. You smashed it. Great report too. Just delighted for you.

I can identify with your comments on the new paces, it's nice to be running the recovery/easy stuff a little bit faster but the other stuff is a bit scary - my threshold pace is practically what my 5km pace was a week ago :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Ah it's great to read the report of how it all happened - that's really impressive racing. Well done for going for it and not slowing down. Obviously you were well able!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Great stuff, excellent report and fine running to get a huge pb and the sub 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

After seeing your entry in the best of 2018 thread(you have me by 1 second!!!), I said I'd revisit your log. I've been very poor with the logs department lately.
    I must say I am very impressed with your discipline and dedication in your training. The rate of improvement, brilliant as it is, is just a reflection of your talant and overall approach to running. Well done...
    I may try to hang onto your coattails at a race in future :)

• Advertisement

martyboy48 wrote: »
    After seeing your entry in the best of 2018 thread(you have me by 1 second!!!), I said I'd revisit your log. I've been very poor with the logs department lately.
    I must say I am very impressed with your discipline and dedication in your training. The rate of improvement, brilliant as it is, is just a reflection of your talant and overall approach to running. Well done...
    I may try to hang onto your coattails at a race in future :)

Haha. Thanks very much. I know I'm making progress when someone tries to drag me into the Boards mind games! :D

I've a long way to go yet to bridge the gap from '17 novice to those of previous editions!

Week 7 Grads 5-10k Plan

Monday 7th: I had to go down to Mullingar to see if my youngest got a run for the Meath minors in the first game of the Leinster championship against Westmeath. He is only back training after a hamstring injury. He came on in the last 10 mins of an easy enough win and kicked a good free just before the end. The next game gives me a conflict of interest as Meath play the Boys in Blue in the second group game! :eek:
    As for my recovery run that day.....it was a really nice 5 miler at a gentle 9:13 pace out and back a stretch of the Royal Canal....rural style!

Tuesday 8th: Another of my twice weekly very easy 60 minutes approx runs. Local roads, meh day, 6.9 miles @9:09

Wednesday 9th: Session day. 10*90 secs VO2 max with 2 mins jogged recovery. I was a bit afraid of this one because of new faster training paces and it was a session similar to this that I found the most difficult of the sessions on the HM plan. Target pace was 5:54 to 6:01 per mile. I didn't settle into the pace at all and the first 3 reps were 6:20, 6:08 and 6:04. After that I had a bit of a chat with myself and finished out with 5:53, 5:58, 5:54, 6:01, 5:58, 6:01 and 5:58. Happy enough by the end of it. Total miles including extended warm up and a cooldown came to 9.7m

Thursday 10th: A 70 minute very easy run around the locality again. 6.5 miles @ 9:09

Friday 11th: A messy evening run. Left Ballyboden at 4pm across the M50 to get an hour run in the Phoenix Park before going to the airport to collect someone at 7. Turned out the M50 resembled a carpark and I didn't get to the Hole in the Wall until 5.30. Got the hour done, 7.5 miles @ 9:02 Passed MurphD and could only spare the time for a wave, very bad mannered of me. Apologies :(

Saturday 12th: Session day. 30 mins tempo. New tempo is 7:02 - 7:13 per mile. I really enjoyed this but it's amazing how much faster it feels and harder to do when running alone compared to a Parkrun or a race. Average pace for the 30 mins was 6:59 per mile. Total incl w/u and c/d was 8.8m

Sunday 13th: Long run day. 14.3 miles @ 8:42. A lovely afternoon for a run and I went on a few roads I hadn't run on before. Headed down to Ballybough before getting on to the Royal Canal way passing by Croker, Phibsboro, Broombridge, Ashtown and up to the M50 aquaduct. Turned and came back through Cardifsbridge Park and Tolka Valley Park. Warm but really pleasant and great to see all the families and kids using the Canal walkway.

So it's half way in the plan and the Sunday runs will begin to shorten by 5/10 mins a week until the mini taper. I have shelved plans to do the beach race in Sandymount on Tuesday and will do the Bob Heffernan and Dunboyne 5 mile over the next few weeks.

I have a visit to a physio tomorrow to check out some niggles I have had both from pre running days and from the past year of training. Left hamstring and right Achilles being the primary concerns.

Weekly Miles: 58.9
    Monthly Miles: 102.8
    YTD Miles: 862

Oh good luck at physio, ice that Achilles and roll out your feet with a ball and the calfs with a foam roller it helps a lot! I hope it is nothing like mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Hopefully all goes well at the Physio; finding that rolling and doing eccentric heel drops is helping with my achilles.

Go with the advice of your physio though.......a nice (!!) calf massage and some dry needling maybe!

Baby75 wrote: »
    Oh good luck at physio, ice that Achilles and roll out your feet with a ball and the calfs with a foam roller it helps a lot! I hope it is nothing like mine

Ah I think it's time I got a proper diagnosis as it has been going on too long. Thankfully it has never affected my running. I've tried different remedies suggested by different people, rolling, ice, heat, heel drops etc etc. I just need to know what is needed in my specific case. I'm optimistic though. Entered the Bob Heffernan and Dunshaughlin races tonight. The marathon can wait. FOMO is passing!!

Hopefully all goes well at the Physio; finding that rolling and doing eccentric heel drops is helping with my achilles.

Go with the advice of your physio though.......a nice (!!) calf massage and some dry needling maybe!

My young lad had dry needling on a hamstring....I've sworn never to do it. He hated it!! Haha

I had a therapeutic ultrasound on mine and have been doing loads of calf strengthening exercises, I also have heel lifts in my runners weaning off them now :) all depends on what the cause is and working out the tipping point. your physio will be able to help pinpoint what is the cause and get you sorted

My son had dry needling on his calf strain, he found it great our physio explained how it works and how it's important it is performed correctly, I found it very interesting.

I am glad you're going to get sorted!!
    now-now I will pretend I did not read that! DCM is calling you LOL do not sit on the fence too long :D

Here is a video I found very good and helped me a lot
    Lisa Tamati she is an ultra runner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzCIJCGLGRk&t=132s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Good luck tomorrow at the physio. Hopefully an easy fix.

• Advertisement

Good luck at the physio S, hope you get it sorted.

And there's be no more talk of FOMO passing - did you not see that fab medal :P:pac:

Advertisement