Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

OOnegative wrote: »
    23rd of June 7.30pm Dunshaughlin 10km, arguably the best 10k in Ireland.

Well that's very handy. There was a flyer for it given out in Bohermeen yesterday. Early bird of €15 open until Saturday 17th. Decision made. Thanks most kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

OOnegative wrote: »
    23rd of June 7.30pm Dunshaughlin 10km, arguably the best 10k in Ireland.

+1 to this, a great race.

Also a great club race is St. Cocas 5k on Friday 29th of June, maybe do the doublesmile.png

jake1970 wrote: »
    +1 to this, a great race.

Also a great club race is St. Cocas 5k on Friday 29th of June, maybe do the doublesmile.png

Haha, nothing like setting the bar high! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Belated congrats man fair play, a testament to patience, faith and consistency. A Very well earned PB, plans are all well and good but if you don't have the discipline to stick to them (or atleast have a common sense approach to tweaks) then you are p!$$ing into the wind.

In terms of races, plenty of options over the next few months

Bob Heffernan 22nd of May
    Dunshaughlin 23rd June
    Clonee 28th June
    St. Coca's 29th June

With the shorter races no harm getting a few more under your belt. Race practice is important and don't be afraid to look into a few tougher courses to complement the PB races. Sometimes can be good to give a real hard effort and take risks without the pressure of a PB to chase (can be a bit more aggressive with race tactics)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Edit as question answered already!

Highly recommend St Cocas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Just getting around to reading your race report. It was such a great day, still delighted for you and thanks for motivating me! I didn’t realize Omercon took 10mins off his PB, wow!
    My pacing was surprisingly consistent too, I wonder if that can also be put down to the plan!

Just getting around to reading your race report. It was such a great day, still delighted for you and thanks for motivating me! I didn’t realize Omercon took 10mins off his PB, wow!
    My pacing was surprisingly consistent too, I wonder if that can also be put down to the plan!

No that was all down to you! The plan can make you fitter but the pace is your choice. It's what people mean when they talk about running by feel rather than by the watch. That's a great job, well done.

Week ending 18/3/18

Monday 12th: The day after Bohermeen half and the hamstrings were feeling it a bit. Went out for a very gentle 3.1 miles at a recovery pace of 10 min miles. Legs began to loosen out a bit after the first mile or so.

Tuesday 13th: Still buzzing after the weekend and feeling the legs coming around. Tipped around the local roads for a little 5 miler @ 9:19

Wednesday 14th:More of the same easy miles, slightly longer than day before, 7.13 miles. Again the pace was a very easy 9:23. Legs felt totally back to normal.

Thursday 15th:10.09 miles @ 9:14. Once again around the local roads and parks of Whitehall, Glasnevin and Beaumont. Felt really easy even if a touch faster than planned.

And there ends my running for the week. Had a little chat with a friend on Thursday evening and got talking about my year of running and how little had preceded it. As I listened to myself talk I realised how little break I had over the year. Now I had run 4 consecutive days after a half and was already back to 10 mile run. Perhaps a couple of weeks gentle running would be fine but bearing in mind my intention to start the Grads plan for 5/10k next week I decided to give the body 4/5 days of a total break from running to be followed by a few days of very easy runs before starting the plan.

I know it's not scientific but it just seemed the common sense thing to do. Time will tell I guess.

Not to throw a totally wobbler into any plans but I know a few of the lads in the club do 3 hard weeks followed by 1 easy week.

On the easy weeks they would still run the normal amount of days but drop the mileage/intensity.

I think it is an art in itself working out what works for you; everyone is different.....as always common sense is they key here.....if your body needs a rest give it a rest.

You are going great guns just now and you seem to have the sessions/easier days going really well and the progress that you have made is a testament to this.

Hopefully catch up with you at a race soon enough.

Not to throw a totally wobbler into any plans but I know a few of the lads in the club do 3 hard weeks followed by 1 easy week.

On the easy weeks they would still run the normal amount of days but drop the mileage/intensity.

I think it is an art in itself working out what works for you; everyone is different.....as always common sense is they key here.....if your body needs a rest give it a rest.

You are going great guns just now and you seem to have the sessions/easier days going really well and the progress that you have made is a testament to this.

Hopefully catch up with you at a race soon enough.

Haha. All advice is welcome. The body was feeling fine to be honest. Just thought that a little recharge before starting another 14 week plan might be best.

As regards races I'm in the middle of planning the next few months. I'll do the couple of races mentioned above at the end of the plan and be looking at throwing in 3 or 4 during the plan. Decisions, decisions, decisions! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

skyblue46 wrote: »
    And there ends my running for the week. Had a little chat with a friend on Thursday evening and got talking about my year of running and how little had preceded it. As I listened to myself talk I realised how little break I had over the year. Now I had run 4 consecutive days after a half and was already back to 10 mile run. Perhaps a couple of weeks gentle running would be fine but bearing in mind my intention to start the Grads plan for 5/10k next week I decided to give the body 4/5 days of a total break from running to be followed by a few days of very easy runs before starting the plan.

I know it's not scientific but it just seemed the common sense thing to do. Time will tell I guess.

We're all different - some do take a recovery week every 4-5 weeks, others don't - all depends on what works.

After bohermeen, my coach had me do a week of easy running before we tackled a new training plan.
    I run 7 days and have had about 4 days off this year - I find if I break the habit of running the body goes into full Homer Simpson mode :) - so my easy days are easy!

Week ending 25/03/18

Monday 19th: Last day of my few days rest.

Tuesday 20th: A few easy laps around Johnstown Park. 5.15 miles @ 9:14

Wednesday 21st: I went out for a gentle run with her indoors as she eases her way back after injury. Did a bit around Marlay Park and then down to St Endas Park for a nice lap and back to Marlay. 6.21 miles @ 10:16

Thursday 22nd: Decided to go out to Howth for this one but hadn't really got a plan in mind. On the drive out I decided I'd do the cliff path. I hadn't been on it since before McDonalds arrived in the country! What a brilliant decision. I loved it. Steep steps, narrow paths, great views of Dublin Bay. Trundled down the hill into Howth and decided to go out to the end of the pier. Turned back towards Sutton and took the notion to throw in a couple of Kms at tempo. Talk about making it up as I went along. :pac: So the slow up hills, faster tempo and easy bits averaged out at 9:19 per mile for the 9.61 mile loop.

Friday 23rd: Legs in ribbons! Well the quads mainly. I still felt like getting out for something easy so just trundled around Johnstown and Poppintree Parks for 6.22 miles @ 9:20.

Saturday 24th: Finally got to complete the Dublin set of Parkruns as Darndale was up and running again. Legs felt even worse than the day before so I decided against even doing a warmup. Only 20 were taking part. After 2k it was clear that the strange opportunity to be a first finisher was real. I'd just done them at HM pace but only had one lad left with me. I picked it up a bit and shook him off. Probably the slowest time of the weekend to get over the line first but hey ho...it's now recorded forever :D 3.1 miles in 21:07

Sunday 25th: 14 miles @ 9:05. Still stiff but decided I'd play it by ear and make a decision at each crossroads! After a few K I loosened up a bit. Passed by the fire damaged Metro Hotel in Ballymun. It didnt look as bad as I thought it might. At this point I decided to head out to the airport and do a lap around it. Beautiful sunny morning, an absolute joy to be out. Found myself going a bit too fast on the long straights parallel to the runways but just went with it. Loved the run!!

So after a week of free styling it's back to a plan next week, the grads 5-10k plan. I won't be welded to it and will tweak it to allow a few more laps of Howth and a few races along the way. Aiming towards Dunshaughlin 10k and St Cocas a few days later. Thinking of throwing in the Donadea Castle 10k and the Bob Heffernan along the way.

Congrats to Ariana and HBS for two shiny new PBs and excellently run 10 mile races today. Well deserved rewards for their training. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Saturday 24th: Finally got to complete the Dublin set of Parkruns as Darndale was up and running again. Legs felt even worse than the day before so I decided against even doing a warmup. Only 20 were taking part. After 2k it was clear that the strange opportunity to be a first finisher was real. I'd just done them at HM pace but only had one lad left with me. I picked it up a bit and shook him off. Probably the slowest time of the weekend to get over the line first but hey ho...it's now recorded forever :D 3.1 miles in 21:07

Now you're just showing off :D Congratulations S, that can never be taken away from you.

Now you're just showing off :D Congratulations S, that can never be taken away from you.

Haha...On a serious note I have to say I have the height of respect for the volunteers out there. I know the volunteers nationwide deserve great credit but this group are in a different league. To battle against constant cancellations, low numbers and huge parkruns nearby in St Anne's and Malahide and keep it going is truly amazing. Such a determination to make use of a local resource and encourage others to do so. Kudos to each and every one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Week ending 25/03/18

Thursday 22nd: Decided to go out to Howth for this one but hadn't really got a plan in mind. On the drive out I decided I'd do the cliff path. I hadn't been on it since before McDonalds arrived in the country! What a brilliant decision. I loved it. Steep steps, narrow paths, great views of Dublin Bay. Trundled down the hill into Howth and decided to go out to the end of the pier. Turned back towards Sutton and took the notion to throw in a couple of Kms at tempo. Talk about making it up as I went along. :pac: So the slow up hills, faster tempo and easy bits averaged out at 9:19 per mile for the 9.61 mile loop.

Sounds to me like you would have enjoyed Baby75’s trail run today. Maybe you should do one with her ;)

Good luck with the 5-10km plan. Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks for the mention S, i'm honoured :)

Well done again on your first finisher, nice to have that no matter what the pace you were still faster than 19 other runners on the day and it sounds like it was no bother to you either ;)

Looking forward to following you following the 5-10km plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats on the first finish - you responded well when the opportunity presented itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Nevermind the time, you were running for position! Good stuff on getting a first finisher.

Good to get in the winners enclosure S! I have no doubts you will smash the 5/10k plans....a bit of a different type of training for you.

Good to get in the winners enclosure S! I have no doubts you will smash the 5/10k plans....a bit of a different type of training for you.

Yeah it is kinda....it's only the sessions that are different to the half plan. The easy days are pretty much the same but the sessions seem to be of a shorter and faster variety...the sort I struggled with on the rare occasion they were on the half plan. :pac:

Glad to read elsewhere that you're good to go again. :)

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Congrats on the first finish - you responded well when the opportunity presented itself!

Well the last 2k were both 3:56s. All I need now is to put 5 of them together! :pac:
    diego_b wrote: »
    Nevermind the time, you were running for position! Good stuff on getting a first finisher.

Thanks a million. It was a strange experience :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    Yeah it is kinda....it's only the sessions that are different to the half plan. The easy days are pretty much the same but the sessions seem to be of a shorter and faster variety...the sort I struggled with on the rare occasion they were on the half plan.

They'll stand to you. A different type of pain. Best of luck with it. I'll follow with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Originally Posted by skyblue46 View Post
    Week ending 25/03/18

Thursday 22nd: Decided to go out to Howth for this one but hadn't really got a plan in mind. On the drive out I decided I'd do the cliff path. I hadn't been on it since before McDonalds arrived in the country! What a brilliant decision. I loved it. Steep steps, narrow paths, great views of Dublin Bay. Trundled down the hill into Howth and decided to go out to the end of the pier. Turned back towards Sutton and took the notion to throw in a couple of Kms at tempo. Talk about making it up as I went along. So the slow up hills, faster tempo and easy bits averaged out at 9:19 per mile for the 9.61 mile loop.
    Sounds to me like you would have enjoyed Baby75’s trail run today. Maybe you should do one with her

Good luck with the 5-10km plan. Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.

Sounds like my kinda run all right and those amazing views make the hard work worth it, I was enjoying views of Dublin Bay and the Sugarloaf at the start of my run yesterday!

Well done again on your first position on Saturday a great achievement and good luck in the new plan I can not wait to see how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Nice one, congrats on the parkrun result!! :D

And straight on to the new targets now, good stuff. I love this stage in training - starting a new plan, eyeing up new goals, etc - it's all out there.

eyrie wrote: »
    Nice one, congrats on the parkrun result!! :D

And straight on to the new targets now, good stuff. I love this stage in training - starting a new plan, eyeing up new goals, etc - it's all out there.

Haha, it sure is. However I'm looking out the window at black threatening clouds and my trip to the Khyber for some hill sprints is not something I'm feeling the love for!! Character building they say! Pmsl

So I'm back on a plan and loving it. I made my mind up to vary this one a little bit particularly for the first 6/7 weeks. I'm hoping to do 45/50 miles a week, throw in a few races but do them as sessions, get a good hill run in at least 2 weeks in 3 and keep all the easy days really easy. Hopefully there will be a good 5 and 10k at the end of it! :eek:

Monday 26th: 3.25 miles gently jogged round the local park. It was needed after the 14 miles of the day before!

Tuesday 27th: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays on the plan are down as 60 mins very easy pace. I'm planning to do more in the 70/75 minute range at the moment but paces will definitely be very comfortable. Did a loop around Beaumont and Whitehall at a 9:23 pace for 7.36 miles.

Wednesday 28th: Yay, back to sessions day! 8*1 minute hill sprints was asked for so off over to the Kyber I took myself. Did a lap of the acres as a warm up and then set about it. Paces were pretty much spot on but it wasn't easy with a stiff cold breeze blowing down the hill. Cooldown brought the miles to 7.28

Thursday 29th: I enjoyed my time in the Park so much that I headed back again. Plenty of grass running, plenty of easy pace, more than plenty of enjoyment. It's good to be alive! 8.25 miles @ 9:21

Friday 30th: Time for a hill run! Craugh and Tibradden Woods were the destination. Some steep ascents in parts which I probably attacked a bit over enthusiastically! It's a great way to warm up quickly :pac: Settled into a nice rhythm after that and really enjoyed it. 'Twas a dark and misty morning and there were none of the usual views of the city through the low cloud. There had been a light snowfall the night before which made for a really beautiful setting. Most uplifting run of the year so far. 5.29 miles @ 9:38

Saturday 31st: Parkrun day and session day. Session said tempo run for 30 mins, Parkrun said no! Best compromise I could reach was to do it at my hoped for 10k pace. I did that but it wasn't as easy as it should have been. The 975ft of climbing the day before had left the legs a bit heavy. :eek: Having completed all the Dublin set of Parkruns last week I went to Navan for this. It was a very enjoyable morning. Sam Maguire was a special guest and most of the runners wore their county colours which made for a very colourful crowd. Kildare was the first finisher...what's rare is wonderful! :D

Sunday 1st: Back to the Park for a Sunday morning jaunt. Not as busy there as it usually is what with it being a day of huge significance on the Catholic and chocolate manufacturers calendar. Pottered about while on some sort of high...not sure if it was endorphins or just a strange reaction to very little sleep after my night shift. For the record I covered 12.16 miles at a pretty even paced 9:17 per mile.

So that was the week that was. Man Utd won, Leinster won, the boys in blue won yet another title and Swashbuckler produced a fantastic performance in the Adare 10k. That lad has an infectious enthusiasm and work ethic, something many of us could learn from...dodgy choice of tattoos though! :pac:

For the week to come....more of the same and a trip to a 10k in Donadea. I'll either do that at tempo or at a 6*5 mins at Threshold with 2 min jogged recoveries as the plan suggests...Not sure which would be best.

On another note.....after 5 months of lacking any interest in DCM 18 I think I feel a stirring! It's not much but there's every possibility it will grow to a stomach bursting Alien type creature over the coming weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    So that was the week that was. Man Utd won, Leinster won, the boys in blue won yet another title and Swashbuckler produced a fantastic performance in the Adare 10k. That lad has an infectious enthusiasm and work ethic, something many of us could learn from...dodgy choice of tattoos though!

Haha after putting up the pic on Strava I did think 'Jesus those tattoos look terrible'. The folly of youth!
    Cheers for the mention. Loving my running these days. Glad it's coming across.
    skyblue46 wrote:
    For the week to come....more of the same and a trip to a 10k in Donadea. I'll either do that at tempo or at a 6*5 mins at Threshold with 2 min jogged recoveries as the plan suggests...Not sure which would be best.

Would you consider racing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Great week S, oooh and more than a little happy to hear you may consider DCM 18 :) I hope it becomes a yes I am soon!

Haha after putting up the pic on Strava I did think 'Jesus those tattoos look terrible'. The folly of youth!
    Cheers for the mention. Loving my running these days. Glad it's coming across.

Would you consider racing it?

Ah I'm only slagging about the tattoo. Don't mind me!

As regards racing it...probably not. Lazare is going down as well and we have agreed to do it as a semi social sort of thing. I'll probably use the first half of the plan for endurance type stuff and then shorten distances and speed it up for the last 7 weeks. I have a 46:14 PB from last years Fingal but I want to get that down to a 42:xx

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    Great week S, oooh and more than a little happy to hear you may consider DCM 18 :) I hope it becomes a yes I am soon!

It's more a fear that if I don't enter it and then want to do it I'd be majorly pi$$ed off! :pac:

Advertisement