Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turf

• 08-05-2017 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Anyone know of any type of hand held roller that would cut freshly cut hopper turf into sods about a foot long, usually do it with the spade but its a pain in the ass!! Makes it very easy to work with if sods are cut to uniform lengths

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If the lad cutting the turf had it set up right on his hopper there would be no need! But I know what you mean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

shrek008 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any type of hand held roller that would cut freshly cut hopper turf into sods about a foot long, usually do it with the spade but its a pain in the ass!! Makes it very easy to work with if sods are cut to uniform lengths

It definately works, we used one for years. The turf has to be fresh enough though.

It was like a big pizza slicer with the disk made from stainless steel about 450mm diameter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

It definately works, we used one for years. The turf has to be fresh enough though.

It was like a big pizza slicer with the disk made from stainless steel about 450mm diameter.

Have 2 of them here. Great yoke altogether for slicing through rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

We made one yrs ago, when machine didn't have it installed, basically the bottoms of buckets, with threaded bar through centre, at a lenght apart that you want your sod, attach handle to centre or bar & of you go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I use a stick with a old con saw blade / disk, nailed on to end. Basic but does job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I do go back after it's cut (less than 24hrs) with a broom stick and a knife gunthered onto the end of it and pull it along the sod, once it forms a skin on top it'll break where it was marked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

I do go back after it's cut (less than 24hrs) with a broom stick and a knife gunthered onto the end of it and pull it along the sod, once it forms a skin on top it'll break where it was marked.

thats the best job for it any wee mark and it will break
    a hell of a lot easier than using a big heavy con saw blade

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

So have i got this right? You guys reckon its a better job just to put a track on top of the turf rather than cutting it all the way through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

shrek008 wrote: »
    So have i got this right? You guys recrkon its a better job just to put a track on top of the turf rather than cutting it all the way through!
    Does the same job I will put up a photo of what I have here later

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

Does the same job I will put up a photo of what I have here later

Have you the pic up? I'm looking for something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Aravo

shrek008 wrote:
    So have i got this right? You guys reckon its a better job just to put a track on top of the turf rather than cutting it all the way through!

A light track will do the job. A prong of an old fork/grape works well. The sun/wind will do the rest. If it rained heavy straight after cutting it's likely the marks from hopper machine are gone. So remarking will assist otherwise you will end up with sods breaking all over the place. Not as easy to work with.

Serious money in cutting turf especially if a load of banks together, therefore little travelling. A couple of machines, no stress of travelling on roads, like with drawing silage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The future of silage is still fairly safe though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

I made this one out of an old circular saw disc (with teeth ground off), and a 2x1"baton. Makes quick, light work of scoring turf - reach out , chop down onto the furthest sod, and then draw towords you. I like to cut about half way through, rather than score, because it really encourages the sod to seperate where it's meant to.
    20170509_202311.jpg
    I'm still waiting for mine to be cut....last year I had it all in the shed on the Summer Solstice (june 21) and totally escaped the pisswet August. Was going to cut more than usual this year due to the high chance of cold winters ahead associated with the low sunspot activity that is happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

im hoping to have mine cut next week at the latest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Why doesn’t the hoppers cut the fresh turf every 14/16 inch ?

Anywhere I see it cut and my own is always done as the machine cuts it.

True, but if it rains heavy after it's cut the marks can be gone. Some machines mark better than others. I always check the marking afterwards so there are not areas unmarked as they are sure to break into loads of small bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Some people prefer the rows uncut so when they are turning they can pull more than one sod over at a time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

One year the machine scored them into short sods which made it a pain to handle, last year it was the correct length but too lightly marked in places + got a few showers after spreading. It's so quick to do with the disc that i think i will get the man to leave it unscored this year.

If anyone is struggling with wet spreadground, I would recommend the pallet method - done it a few times now + works a treat. 10 sods to each 'tower' plus connecting sods ontop to stabilise against wind. Once the turf is on the pallet, it doesn't matter how much weather hits it.
    20170516_180625.jpg

20170516_180714.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Aravo wrote:
    A light track will do the job. A prong of an old fork/grape works well. The sun/wind will do the rest. If it rained heavy straight after cutting it's likely the marks from hopper machine are gone. So remarking will assist otherwise you will end up with sods breaking all over the place. Not as easy to work with.

I'd argue to slice right through or sods will break unevenly leaving lots of cerhawns.

Even length sods will making turning and footing much easier. In my experience.

• Advertisement

Bullocks wrote: »
    Some people prefer the rows uncut so when they are turning they can pull more than one sod over at a time

Right. We never turn any of it except the first sod and Last sod in a hopper. They tend to be formed poorly. If there is a wet spot on way out when drawing these are used

Right. We never turn any of it except the first sod and Last sod in a hopper. They tend to be formed poorly. If there is a wet spot on way out when drawing these are used

Tradition here is turn , foot and refoot . Torture .
    Some lads will foot it straight up alright .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

We never turned, just foot, refoot & bag
    Saw a neighbour cut, turn, turn & home.
    He started after we finished the 1st foot & had in the shed when we were refooting

The way we do it, first turn is 180 degrees.

Some years, we've turned again and not footed. Have never turned twice and footed but that's not to say it's wrong.

Goes in a covered reek by bank for 8 months or so and then to shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Tradition here is turn , foot and refoot . Torture .
    Some lads will foot it straight up alright .

Foot once here then into the trailer

Reggie. wrote: »
    Foot once here then into the trailer

Do ye leave it season for a year in the shed before burning ? I think if it gets a good year seasoning its grand either way

Do ye leave it season for a year in the shed before burning ? I think if it gets a good year seasoning its grand either way

No burned straight away

Reggie. wrote: »
    No burned straight away

Ye are spoiled up there :D

• Advertisement

Ye are spoiled up there :D

Yeah it's stone turf. Very lucky

I foot it straight. And home.

Burning 2015 turf at moment. It’s serious stuff.

Can’t beat 2 years seasoning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

No amount of good weather is a replacement for a few years in a well ventilated shed

I know of one area that turfs gets cut and then it's straight home. No turning and footing. Some turf bank to do that.

Aravo wrote:
    I know of one area that turfs gets cut and then it's straight home. No turning and footing. Some turf bank to do that.

How long does it stay on the bank?
    Surely this is weather dependent.

How long does it stay on the bank? Surely this is weather dependent.

Yes, but a very good bank that it's spread on is key. My eyes nearly watered when I was told and my eyes did water when another confirmed.

• Advertisement

Looked at the turf earlier. With this weather I think we will not be turning but footing straight. Great turf weather.

shocking drying today

Unreal day in bog today. Brilliant sunshine and light breeze all day. Turf drying weather 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Cut yesterday afternoon wasnt on the ground an hour and........

Cut yesterday afternoon wasnt on the ground an hour and........

Jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

;);) It wouldnt be a proper turf cutting thread without -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaFQezHF_8A

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Turf cut 3 weeks ago, hopper turf
    Spread 2 weeks ago
    Footed last week
    Home this coming week
    Serious weather for drying, never seen anything like it.

Turf cut 3 weeks ago, hopper turf
    Spread 2 weeks ago
    Footed last week
    Home this coming week
    Serious weather for drying, never seen anything like it.

Turf cut 3 weeks ago. Still haven't seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭timmiekp

Have our own bog at home don’t burn turf anymore is there much money to be made selling it and wat way to go about it.would be at it myself wat would be the minimum I’d have to cut.

Reggie. wrote:
    Turf cut 3 weeks ago. Still haven't seen it

I'm no genius, but i'd say it's coming along well.

I remember in either 2010 or 2011 the turf was home before bonfire night. It was cut earlier that year than this year. This year cut later, but it's flying.

talking to a guy today . he is drawing home last year turf today

Aravo wrote: »
    I'm no genius, but i'd say it's coming along well.

I remember in either 2010 or 2011 the turf was home before bonfire night. It was cut earlier that year than this year. This year cut later, but it's flying.

Ah it's stone turf so it doesn't break up thankfully. It'll stay there till things calm down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

We have ours footed now and after the week id say its nearly fit for home. I  don't get the turning and refooting craic lads do be going on with at all. We just foot it once. Let the wind in through it and into the trailer and home. Have never done it any other way and dont see the need. I see down in belmullet  where the missus is from they bring it out in bags to  the edge of the road and stack it there for the winter. if i had to go on with all that bollixing id just get oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

i was showing a lad in work from achill the bog we get ours from and he reckons theres lads with worse fields at home :p yer man goes in and levels the bog before putting out anything

We have ours footed now and after the week id say its nearly fit for home. I  don't get the turning and refooting craic lads do be going on with at all. We just foot it once. Let the wind in through it and into the trailer and home. Have never done it any other way and dont see the need. I see down in belmullet  where the missus is from they bring it out in bags to  the edge of the road and stack it there for the winter. if i had to go on with all that bollixing id just get oil.

If thats the worst you've seen in Belmullet you're not doing too bad :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement