Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that make you happy - Part 2 - The Happyning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A small pot pourri of THs..

Found my elusive and precious sewing up needle..
    Took the dog out at the back and when I checked, one of the seaweed topped potatoes I planted is showing a strong shoot.
    There are TEN sunflower seeds germinated so far..
    Picked purple "rosiedendrums" . cuckoo flowers and fresh green ferns..

Spending great time with my 1-year-old these days. I collect him from créche after work and we go for a walk together when we arrive home. He is thrilled with himself, pointing to the door when we arrive home to indicate he wants to go out again for the walk. He points at every car and says 'carr' and is so delighted with himself, so our conversations are composed of excited 'carr' 'carr' as he stands on the footpath pointing at every car coming.

And dogs, he loves them, and does these little "woof, woof" sounds every time he sees one, while pointing excitedly. At the weekend he was doing baby screams over at a couple walking their dog by the river and they both started waving furiously at him and saying 'Hello'. He was so excited to communicate. Yesterday, two women allowed him to touch their dogs as he was really excited to see them but then he ran off in the opposite direction when he was right next to the dogs. They went on, and he got back his courage and started 'woof, woofing" at the dogs as they went off. People, women and men, out walking are so surprisingly friendly when they see a little toddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Today is take away day :D

I'm dieting hard all week atm but I still partake in TAD. Maybe it ruins all the efforts of the week I don't know, but right now I'm so hungry I don't give a damn !

Edit : major bonus TH right now this instant! I switched boards back to the original version for something else (on kindle) and lo and behold, I can zoom in and out on writing again !!!! Well duhhhhhh! I spent the past few months wondering how come I couldn't do that anymore.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm dieting hard all week atm but I still partake in TAD. Maybe it ruins all the efforts of the week I don't know, but right now I'm so hungry I don't give a dawn !

TAD?

:EDIT: Nevermind :o

TAD?

:EDIT: Nevermind :o

Sorry, getting into the spirit of boards here, cos' I'm so "hip" for an old one ya know... :D
    Take Away Day :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

It was lashing rain earlier and I got stuck standing in it for a few minutes. There was a granda that I sort of know beside me and he passed me his umbrella and said I was to hold it so that it would cover both of us.

I said to him "ah thanks, you're very kind" and then he took his phone out of his pocket and said "it's not for you. Its for me so I can book the golf" :mad: :D

I'm dieting hard all week atm but I still partake in TAD. Maybe it ruins all the efforts of the week I don't know, but right now I'm so hungry I don't give a damn !

Edit : major bonus TH right now this instant! I switched boards back to the original version for something else (on kindle) and lo and behold, I can zoom in and out on writing again !!!! Well duhhhhhh! I spent the past few months wondering how come I couldn't do that anymore.

You do right! In my dieting days I always took Sunday off. Wise to allow yourself that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A few this morning already.

Had a lovely morning chatting about anything and everything with my grandson, over a few coffees.

My two chestnut trees, that I grew from seed, are throwing out loads of flower spikes in my small woodland.

A book I had been trying to source for ages became available on Amazon today and is now ordered.

I received word that an article I wrote is to appear in a journal shortly.

It has rained after I fed the lawn yesterday - just what was required.

A medical issue for one of the younger grandchildren turns out to be a minor issue.

And Mrs S is baking wholemeal bread rolls.

And it's still only 3 o'clock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

The girls that work in the Boots I go to for my prescriptions. All so thrilled and encouraging of my move away. So lovely when people are genuinely happy for you and share your excitement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Watching a video where two kittens are trying to catch there mothers tail, its like she moving it on purpose for them :3:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Waiting for an MRI for my leg and decided to ring them at 11am to see how long more .Girl asked where I lived and could I make it for a cancellation at 2 pm today ? So glad I rang and can get it done and dusted and sorted now .

Well . So much for my delight ! Got a phone call at 12 to say the radioligist was not qualified to do an MRI on an ankle !!!
    Really ? If she cannot do an ankle what the actual fEK can she do . Surely an ankle is easier than a brain or heart etc !'
    I have to wait now till next Friday for a more qualified ankle person
    I nearly laughed at a radiographer not qualified to to an ankle . ! But am open to anyone who might have an excuse for her !!

Sure you have to laugh sometimes or you could cry !

Well . So much for my delight ! Got a phone call at 12 to say the radioligist was not qualified to do an MRI on an ankle !!!
    Really ? If she cannot do an ankle what the actual fEK can she do . Surely an ankle is easier than a brain or heart etc !'
    I have to wait now till next Friday for a more qualified ankle person
    I nearly laughed at a radiographer not qualified to to an ankle . ! But am open to anyone who might have an excuse for her !!

Sure you have to laugh sometimes or you could cry !

Give her a Jobsworthy award..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A few this morning already.

Had a lovely morning chatting about anything and everything with my grandson, over a few coffees.

My two chestnut trees, that I grew from seed, are throwing out loads of flower spikes in my small woodland.

A book I had been trying to source for ages became available on Amazon today and is now ordered.

I received word that an article I wrote is to appear in a journal shortly.

It has rained after I fed the lawn yesterday - just what was required.

A medical issue for one of the younger grandchildren turns out to be a minor issue.

And Mrs S is baking wholemeal bread rolls.

And it's still only 3 o'clock!

You forgot you still have ice cream in the freezer! :D

EDIT: Are they horse chestnut or sweet chestnut? Either way, it's a great feeling!

New Home wrote: »
    You forgot you still have ice cream in the freezer! :D

EDIT: Are they horse chestnut or sweet chestnut? Either way, it's a great feeling!

Bought several litres this morning!

Horse Chestnut.
    I have a few, plus some oaks, ready to go to the local school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Caught up with a friend of mine today. We haven't had time together for ages due to life. Was nice to pick up where we left off 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Graces7 wrote: »
    I know. The friends coming in from Texas next week will bring great bags of aspirin and brufen for me. And someone told me that where they live, Solpadeine, made in Ireland, costs dollar and a half a box.. Is anything up to E10 here . And you have to all but go down on your knees to the pharmacist to get them. the North is better than here.
    We’re heading back to Walmart before I leave so I can get some more e.g. low dose aspirin is even cheaper. I’m now in the age range where it might be a good idea to take that regularly, and I’ve probably done more reading on this topic than the average Irish GP.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Graces7 wrote: »
    I know. The friends coming in from Texas next week will bring great bags of aspirin and brufen for me. And someone told me that where they live, Solpadeine, made in Ireland, costs dollar and a half a box.. Is anything up to E10 here . And you have to all but go down on your knees to the pharmacist to get them. the North is better than here.
    We’re heading back to Walmart before I leave so I can get some more e.g. low dose aspirin is even cheaper. I’m now in the age range where it might be a good idea to take that regularly, and I’ve probably done more reading on this topic than the average Irish GP.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just be careful 'cause there might be a limit on what you can bring you - it would be mad to be fined for drug smuggling, and aspirin at that.

Just be careful 'cause there might be a limit on what you can bring you - it would be mad to be fined for drug smuggling, and aspirin at that.

Never happened with us and they post them too. On the customs label the Post Office there in Texas write, "OTC Meds" and that is fine. No problems with aspirin ;it is eg codeine they are after The US x ray every parcel now and they have always let aspirin and brufen through in large quantities.
    And you can bring any amount " for personal use"

Been doing this for decades.

And even if only aspirin customs will cease it here if the particular preparation is not licenced in Ireland. The US will allow any OTC meds out but not all are permitted into Ireland. Paracetamol quantity levels can also apply.

Wouldn't that nice bright and calm evening gladden you after the November weather this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

My four year old son is a right cheeky chappy.
    When he gets into trouble, it’s hard to keep a straight face long enough to give out to him.

I was just explaining that it’s time to start getting ready for bed, he told me it’s still daytime.
    I explained that it’s summer now, so the sun stays up later, but we still have the same bedtime.
    His response was “well I’m the son of the house so I guess that means I can stay up later too”.

He is four, going on forty. I don’t know what he will come out with next.

bnt wrote: »

I did that when we went to the US too, only now I've tons of medication that's slowly going out of date !

It's hard to estimate what you actually use.

TH I ordered something from Boots Wednesday, and it arrived today. Well worth it not having to go to town for that.

Watching a video where two kittens are trying to catch there mothers tail, its like she moving it on purpose for them :3:D.

....when in truth they are driving her crazy and that is her anger signal,and sooner or later they will find that out ;)

My 4 year old cat still plays bedmice. with great aplonb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

northgirl wrote: »
    The girls that work in the Boots I go to for my prescriptions. All so thrilled and encouraging of my move away. So lovely when people are genuinely happy for you and share your excitement.
    All the best with your move northgirl. I'm sure you'll love Spain, even if only for the weather :D

All this talk of moving country reminded me of LadyMacBeth and her move to London. Haven't seen any posts from her in ages. If she's reading, I hope life is good for her, the missus and the cats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

I know it seems very very trivial but I just finished the front left side of the cardigan that I'm knitting for my friend's baby. I sent a picture of my work to the lady who gave me a lesson last week and she said it looked perfect. I haven't had much confidence in myself since I had to give up work so I'm glad that I'm managing to do this even though I didn't think I'd be any good.

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    I know it seems very very trivial but I just finished the front left side of the cardigan that I'm knitting for my friends

Far from trivial. And the resident knitter in the house here says well done and keep at it. The finished result will have you delighted with yourself. No matter how many cardigans, scarfs, hats etc. she finishes, each is a source of fulfilment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    All the best with your move northgirl. I'm sure you'll love Spain, even if only for the weather :D

All this talk of moving country reminded me of LadyMacBeth and her move to London. Haven't seen any posts from her in ages. If she's reading, I hope life is good for her, the missus and the cats :)

Thanks a million :) I hope it will be a good move.

I'm a very lucky girl just hope I won't be lonely :o

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    LadyMacBeth and her move to London. Haven't seen any posts from her in ages. If she's reading, I hope life is good for her, the missus and the cats :)

Ohhh I think she's a lot closer than you think ;) :pac:

I know it seems very very trivial but I just finished the front left side of the cardigan that I'm knitting for my friend's baby. I sent a picture of my work to the lady who gave me a lesson last week and she said it looked perfect. I haven't had much confidence in myself since I had to give up work so I'm glad that I'm managing to do this even though I didn't think I'd be any good.

Any chance of knitting me a winter coat :3?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well done ! I took up knitting a few years ago and found Knitting for Dummies great
    Also used you tube tutorials if I got stuck. I love it now and have a list of requests for babies !

• Advertisement

Well done ! I took up knitting a few years ago and found Knitting for Dummies great
    Also used you tube tutorials if I got stuck. I love it now and have a list of requests for babies !

If you're ever stuck for something to knit, or to use up small amounts of left over wool, contact your nearest maternity hospital about little woollen caps for babies in premature baby units.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement