Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest compo culture award

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Country is fukd.you have to be trained now in work how to walk cos if you fall and you weren’t trained how to walk they are responsible for your braindead actions.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Some people just don't get embarrassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I read that the main factor was the stairs. If they aren't right then accidents will happen so ESB's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

How did he "inadvertently" carry parcels in both hands? Did one of them just fall from the sky and land in his hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭enricoh

When yer on 350k a year like the judge 110k actually seems reasonable!
    More health and safety training now required for companies as a result of this judge. More costs onto companies = higher prices for consumers.

Still no sign of Ireland cutting whiplash payouts like the UK did to 500stg. Too many snouts in the trough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

my3cents wrote: »
    I read that the main factor was the stairs. If they aren't right then accidents will happen so ESB's fault.

They were apparently wet. Hence the fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is literally evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

He got more awarded than my house is worth wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Ms Bronagh O'Hanlon found that Terence Morgan who had worked with the ESB for about 38 years did not get specific training in the task of collecting post which he had performed over a number of years.

The above sentence sums up the utter ridiculousness of the compo culture. Yer man is collecting post (hardly mine-clearing levels of danger) for decades, and he can sue because nobody thought "You know what, we should run a training course for that genius that collects the letters, he's only being doing it for a lifetime, and he might not yet know about the whole carrying-an-envelope-while-walking thing that's so difficult"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The ferret.

'God bless Hooky Street. Viva Hooky Street'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Gravelly wrote: »
    Ms Bronagh O'Hanlon found that Terence Morgan who had worked with the ESB for about 38 years did not get specific training in the task of collecting post which he had performed over a number of years.

The above sentence sums up the utter ridiculousness of the compo culture. Yer man is collecting post (hardly mine-clearing levels of danger) for decades, and he can sue because nobody thought "You know what, we should run a training course for that genius that collects the letters, he's only being doing it for a lifetime, and he might not yet know about the whole carrying-an-envelope-while-walking thing that's so difficult"

But when they say post, they mean parcels in this case.
    I worked as tech support for a computer company. We got manual handling training in case we had an accident lifting something.

I worked in supermarkets on a checkout and i got manual handling training.

Manual handling training is default in so many jobs and it's designed to make sure that people don't hurt themselves when lifting or carrying something.

If his employer could have prevented it by giving him training, or by creating a safer environment (the stairs in this case), then they bear some responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

On one hand you have contributory negligence.

There should be another category. Contributory retardation. You should lose more for this

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You can bet your life that he also got manual handling training in the ESB.

Grayson wrote: »
    But when they say post, they mean parcels in this case.
    I worked as tech support for a computer company. We got manual handling training in case we had an accident lifting something.

I worked in supermarkets on a checkout and i got manual handling training.

Manual handling training is default in so many jobs and it's designed to make sure that people don't hurt themselves when lifting or carrying something.

If his employer could have prevented it by giving him training, or by creating a safer environment (the stairs in this case), then they bear some responsibility.

Was just about to say what RacoonQueen said above - I'm familiar with the training culture in the ESB and there is absolutely no way anyone, in any department there, hasn't had manual handling training. This guy apparently needed someone to demonstrate how to walk and carry a few letters at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

This is among the most ridiculous of awards I have ever seen. 110K? For a sore shoulder. Sweet Jesus.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    This is among the most ridiculous of awards I have ever seen. 110K? For a sore shoulder. Sweet Jesus.

I hope every penny of it fattens him til he bursts

How did he "inadvertently" carry parcels in both hands? Did one of them just fall from the sky and land in his hand?

A solicitor probably handed it to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

According to this judge, you need training on how to collect the post.

So if I get a paper cut in work collecting some paper from the printer, I guess I could sue them as I haven't been trained in how to collect prints from the printer?

This is mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

beertons wrote: »
    Some people just don't get embarrassed.

thats part of the problem. No scruples whatsoever.

'I am entitled to claim because Im within my rights... and I'll put in for a big one while Im at it, sure everyone else is at it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,700 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

TallGlass wrote: »

So if I get a paper cut in work collecting some paper from the printer, I guess I could sue them as I haven't been trained in how to collect prints from the printer?

This is mental.

This lad just needs to cruise into retirement on a nice pension, he's not going to go job-seeking afterwards and going through interview stages with a response like 'Oho, you're the lad that sued such-and-such, don't let the door hit you on the way out...'

(In case you'll sue us...)

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »

This is mental.

You wonder where this will end - will people now need to be trained to piss, drink coffee, complain, feign being busy, and read facebook in work as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Less we forget, the amount he was "awarded" was €110,000.
    €110,000! Imagine what "regular" people could do with that sort of money.
    Apparently the mitigating factor in the €110,000 award was the fact the steps were wet. This is Ireland; we will have wet steps. What do companies need to do now? Have 2 people delivering packages with one of them wiping steps with a towel?

When you think about what's rotten in Ireland, the judiciary is high in the list. With the ridiculous leniency in their sentencing for repeat offenders; often letting them off with another warning that allows them to terrorise the community again, to the overly generous payments for compensation.

Judges heap misery on the law-abiding, contributing members of Irish society. The whole judicial system needs a overhaul, but that will not happen with the current crop of politicians.

Why do Irish people bother getting up for work in the morning at all, or play fair in life where cheating gets handsomely rewarded?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Kivaro wrote: »
    Less we forget, the amount he was "awarded" was €110,000.
    €110,000! Imagine what "regular" people could do with that sort of money.
    Apparently the mitigating factor in the €110,000 award was the fact the steps were wet. This is Ireland; we will have wet steps. What do companies need to do now? Have 2 people delivering packages with one of them wiping steps with a towel?

When you think about what's rotten in Ireland, the judiciary is high in the list. With the ridiculous leniency in their sentencing for repeat offenders; often letting them off with another warning that allows them to terrorise the community again, to the overly generous payments for compensation.

Judges heap misery on the law-abiding, contributing members of Irish society. The whole judicial system needs a overhaul, but that will not happen with the current crop of politicians.

Why do Irish people bother getting up for work in the morning at all, or play fair in life where cheating gets handsomely rewarded?

I usually don’t like statements like that because it’s probably overly simplified.

But yes it really looks that way on both accounts of what you’re saying. Repeat offenders and violence seems uncontrollable and common sense is out the window on compensation / injury claims. And yes you would tend to wonder who benefits from this and is there indeed a systemic problem.

I dare say if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I usually don’t like statements like that because it’s probably overly simplified.

I am offended by your comment, so will now seek legal action against you unless you pay me ............... (thinking of a ludicrous amount) ............. €110,000.
    I dare say if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.,.

I believe we should train ducks to do this man's job in the future, as they will be able to handle wet steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Wonder how popular he'll be in the staff canteen now? It can be a very lonely place.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

If someone broke a nail typing a post on Boards.ie, could they sue the owners of the site on the grounds that they did not provide training in how to post safely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Kivaro wrote: »
    I believe we should train ducks to do this man's job in the future, as they will be able to handle wet steps.
    Well Oxford Uni have spent stg 300,000 proving that ducks like water but not that they like steps.
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/may/20/research-proves-ducks-like-water

Anyone remember when one of the US companys produced a 'how to' manual for how to walk up and down stairs and insisted that all staff had to hold on to the handrail?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Broke my foot falling down the bottom step bringing the kids presents down on XMas Eve - I'm assuming I can sue them and my insurance will have to pay out because it's all their fault and they are presumably covered under my policy....

Beasty wrote: »
    Broke my foot falling down the bottom step bringing the kids presents down on XMas Eve - I'm assuming I can sue them and my insurance will have to pay out because it's all their fault and they are presumably covered under my policy....

Absolutely.and you could also counter sue santy clause as he was the sub contractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The 80k a year plus the lump sum and 500 a week pension isnt enough for him

Advertisement