Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest compo culture award

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Why is someone else always to blame?

Why can people not just accept that sometimes bad things happen through no ones fault?

Because in our current compensation culture with its massively overly generous payouts for very trivial injuries, if you can find someone to point the finger at you’re likely in for a significant windfall.

And we seem to be quite greedy as a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

Gravelly wrote: »
    Ms Bronagh O'Hanlon found that Terence Morgan who had worked with the ESB for about 38 years did not get specific training in the task of collecting post which he had performed over a number of years.

The above sentence sums up the utter ridiculousness of the compo culture. Yer man is collecting post (hardly mine-clearing levels of danger) for decades, and he can sue because nobody thought "You know what, we should run a training course for that genius that collects the letters, he's only being doing it for a lifetime, and he might not yet know about the whole carrying-an-envelope-while-walking thing that's so difficult"

FFS specific training in collection of post,am I in a different planet or what,it's greed, nothing else,if h broke his neck,arm,leg,hand ,etc,no problem,,,some accident s are made

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

McCrack wrote: »
    Whats funny about these overdone threads about 'compo payouts' is I know for a fact that every bitter cun# on it would be straight down to their solicitor if they got injured

Fell down some stone stairs in a castle but wouldn't go running to my solicitor because I'm not a money grabbing cnut. Plus it would probably close off the thing for other people to enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Pity he didn't break his neck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Fell down some stone stairs in a castle but wouldn't go running to my solicitor because I'm not a money grabbing cnut. Plus it would probably close off the thing for other people to enjoy.

More fool you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

McCrack wrote: »
    More fool you

Whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Just read on breaking news, about a toddler who ran at a ride on lawnmower at his cousins place and lost a part of his foot. He is 14 now and enjoys playing soccer and other sports. He also will enjoy the 725k he has just been awarded through his mother who sued her cousins and late cousins estates.
    I think now I'll either tell me cousins to feck off when they want to visit or if that doesn't fly I'll be looking for cousin visiting insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

lalababa wrote: »
    Just read on breaking news, about a toddler who ran at a ride on lawnmower at his cousins place and lost a part of his foot. He is 14 now and enjoys playing soccer and other sports. He also will enjoy the 725k he has just been awarded through his mother who sued her cousins and late cousins estates.
    I think now I'll either tell me cousins to feck off when they want to visit or if that doesn't fly I'll be looking for cousin visiting insurance!

A child looses part of their leg and your response is to make fun of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

After 38 years the lack of manual handling training should really be on him. Fair enough the employer was at fault but personal responsibility comes into play too, he should have refused if he felt he wasn't trained sufficiently.

Common sense also plays a part for those who aren't trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

A child looses part of their leg and your response is to make fun of them.

Well done you, offended over absolutely nothing. Some craic at parties I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

bm-jpg.171279

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Hoboo wrote: »
    Well done you, offended over absolutely nothing. Some craic at parties I'd imagine.

Offended ?? I was in the court room listening to the case.... I know a bit more than what was reported in the court report.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

beertons wrote: »
    Some people just don't get embarrassed.

Embarrassing isn’t it? And here we are, being embarrassed for them. That’s the real embarrassment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Offended ?? I was in the court room listening to the case.... I know a bit more than what was reported in the court report.
    No doubt this is the situation with a lot of court cases. But on the face of it (and that's all the rest of us can go on in fairness) suing extended family seems in poor taste to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Raconteuse wrote: »
    No doubt this is the situation with a lot of court cases. But on the face of it (and that's all the rest of us can go on in fairness) suing extended family seems in poor taste to say the least.

It was probably by agreement. The other side possibly made some money from it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Caquas

I think this trumps everything I’ve heard. Kill your baby 20 years ago and get compo.

Found guilty of murder by a jury, then the psychiatrist has second thoughts so now he is acquitted and

The approval of the miscarriage of justice application entitled Mr Abdi to seek compensation from the State.

Not from the shameless psychiatrist who has retracted his evidence, and not of course from the jury who convicted him on the basis of that evidence, still less from the judge who pronounced sentence. No, the Irish state must pay compo to an asylum seeker who smashed his infant son to death (and we’re certainly talking hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Euros - sure we’ve already spent that on legal expenses).

of course we don’t worry about that, it’s only Euros, no real money will be spent until the Germans turn the lights on and see the mess we’re making.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

We got the compo culture from the states . In America they will sue for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Caquas

Some hope for honesty and common decency in this High Court judgement. Mr. Justice Twomey dismissed an appeal against a Circuit Court ruling in favour of the defendant in a PI case, and he went further by dismissing the entire set of proceedings.

The judgement is worth reading in full. It sets out in clear language the malpractice and biases in our legal system which rewards bogus and exaggerated PI claims. (Don't imagine that other judges who lash out big damages to chancers are blind to the problems that everyone else can see.) Judge Twomey is careful not to accuse the lawyers of malpractice but the legal profession are now on notice that the senior judiciary have lost patience with their monkey-business. Referring a client directly to a (well-paid and compliant) consultant when they haven't even been to their GP is a major red flag.

And the Indo highlighted the stress which the innocent defendant suffered. I hope Judge Twomey wiped the smile off the face of this chancer Damien Hennessy who couldn't even get his story straight. Sadly this fraudster can afford to smile after getting a tongue-lashing in the High Court. His social and economic status gives him an extraordinary legal privilege - he's unemployed and so immune from any claim for costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I think the law regarding cases like this, is changing at the end of this year in Ireland that may results in fraudsters like these going to prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

I wouldn't go so far as to say the family made some money on it too - that is very cynical. But just imagine the scenario. Your siblings child has lost part of a foot .. your home insurance will cover the accident as that is what we pay it for. I think the decent thing is to allow your sibling's child to be compensated for an injury which occurred on your land - and which you are insured for. I'm not trying to advocate the compo-culture, but the article/headline never gives the full story without any slant. People have often gone years without work while their case is pending - that loss of earning is usually paid as part of the compensation. People are often left with life-changing injuries, or unable to continue in their work role. And I am not talking about the 'whiplash'/ soft tissue type injuries that are so prevalent in the court lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Brilliant hopefully the tide is turning against these ambulance chasers and their sponger clients

Both women knew each other as acquaintances and their cases, against the council, were heard together because they involved similar claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Good to see that the average payout has reduced by 40% since the new guidelines were introduced in April. Back then, 12% of awards were below €10,000. Now, 50% are.

Personal injury awards down 40% from 2020 - PIAB (rte.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Did losing the case actually cost them anything though?. Also I see the playground was funded by the community, wonder if their insurance increased as there was a claim in against them for a few years now.

Ongoing afaik, bloody disgusting 🤮 behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

One of the chancers on Liveline earlier trying to justify the claim. Says they'll appeal as they took the case to ensure the safety of children. Council released a statement saying the playground was not built, provided or maintained by them but by a local volunteer group. Playground closed in 2020 due to insurance claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

One could hear Joe Duffy vocally masturbate as an aul bag told how it was someone else's fault that her fat hole fell off a child's swing.

Joe..yer a bollix giving these ones airtime. Any reason half the country won't pay the TV licence to keep churning out chronic bollox on whineline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If it's genuinely for the wellbeing of the children why is she suing for a fat paycheck rather than working with local councilors and politicians?

Surely it would have been shut down if it was a genuine hazard, I doubt the council would allow a dangerous playground whether they built it or not.

Advertisement