Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART attack last night

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Recently Killester DART station has had a big graffiti problem. It gets cleaned up only to reappear. It's only happened this year, never in the previous seven years. Is it perhaps all one gang going after trains and stations? Utter little scum either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

ixoy wrote:
    Recently Killester DART station has had a big graffiti problem. It gets cleaned up only to reappear. It's only happened this year, never in the previous five years. Is it perhaps all one gang going after trains and stations? Utter little scum either way.

Yeah that's my worry , that this might be the one gang and it might become more widespread across the Dublin network in the future. Hopefully not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

thomasj wrote: »
    Yeah that's my worry , that this might be the one gang and it might become more widespread across the Dublin network in the future. Hopefully not.

Where do their parents think they are? The library?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

spurious wrote:
    Where do their parents think they are? The library?

In some cases , I'm not sure it would cross their mind !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is it just the DART line? Wasn't there a big issue of lads breaking into Clontarf and doing the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Irish Rail said the attack “exposes the lie that graffiti vandals are engaged in some sort of artistic endeavour.”

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I've been warning CIE about this carry on for years but to no avail. Nothing will change.
    On Lavhline now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Irish Rail said the attack “exposes the lie that graffiti vandals are engaged in some sort of artistic endeavour.”

:pac::pac::pac:
    that gave me a chuckle too. as if this proves that anyone with a rattlecan is a violent thug.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I've been warning CIE about this carry on for years but to no avail. Nothing will change.
    On Lavhline now.

Yes, heard it on Liveline. It must have been an ordeal for those on board the DART. Did the Gardai arrive eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Frightening little scumbags. I don't know how their parents keep up with their racket.

This sentence made me laugh though from the indo. Whoever said it deserves a medal.

One onlooker said 20 “filth balls” had stopped a train and spray painted “an entire carriage for a good 15 minutes interrupted.”

lol :D

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/gang-of-20-youths-wearing-balaclavas-storm-dart-with-knives-and-blocks-of-wood-36889670.html

But in all seriousness. I hope the little filth balls get caught by the Guards sooner or later and throw away the key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Roy Batty

How on earth can this happen in a modern European capital city ?
    A train held up for 15 minutes by criminals, and no police arrive in time to arrest anyone ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Did they pull the emmergency break?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Roy Batty wrote: »
    A train held up for 15 minutes by criminals, and no police arrive in time to arrest anyone ??
    You're asking the right questions now I think. A gang wearing balaclavas stormed a train, in Dublin, threatening passengers and possibly armed, and the police didn't turn up for 15 minutes? Who cares about graffiti, this could have been a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

That's an easy question to answer.

Two words that sum up Clongriffin:
    1. Kip.
    2. Underclass.

hmmm wrote: »
    You're asking the right questions now I think. A gang wearing balaclavas stormed a train, in Dublin, threatening passengers and possibly armed, and the police didn't turn up for 15 minutes? Who cares about graffiti, this could have been a lot worse.

Look up videos of train bombing on youtube and you'd find loads of it happening on Berlin. Fairly common to see trains on the continent covered in graffiti

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

JasonS246 wrote: »
    That's an easy question to answer.

Two words that sum up Clongriffin:
    1. Kip.
    2. Underclass.

If you think Clongriffin is bad clearly you live a very sheltered life - there are many far worse areas of Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

We aren’t that modern. This has been going on for at least 15 years in other modern European cities.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Effects wrote: »
    We aren’t that modern. This has been going on for at least 15 years in other modern European cities.

If you want to see graffiti on trains, go to Rome and use the Metro, it's more uncommon to find a train without graffiti than with, especially on the second line with the older trains.

devnull wrote: »
    If you want to see graffiti on trains, go to Rome and use the Metro, it's more uncommon to find a train without graffiti than with, especially on the second line with the older trains.

So does that mean we should accept this sort of behaviour in Ireland.

One old dear who rang Lavhline today suggested plain clothes gardai on the trains - innovative or what but I suppose they are all too busy massaging the crime stats and preventing gangland figures from killing each other. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

So does that mean we should accept this sort of behaviour in Ireland.
    that was a reaction to a 'this doesn't happen anywhere else' style post; you're attacking it for something it didn't claim to be.

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »

All the graffiti on the Metro there looks like it was done years ago. Most stations there have armed security.

Yeah, you're right I'm just narked the way this carry on is dealt with - like everything else that the dead hand of the State is involved with. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

A gang stormed the train armed with knives and weapons. If this was any other country that would be seen as a terrorist threat. If that happened in the uk or USA those lads would be 6 ft under with a bullet to the head.

Policing system over here is brutal. 15 minute response time. Ha. Were the cops on break or something.

The only way of stopping this is to police the transit systems or to do a re design of the entrances. The tag system is great but anyone can hop over the barriers. Compare that to the underground in the UK or US and they are like Fort Knox to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Another reason to vote Yes.

I have seen some idiotic comments saying that to stop this carry on we should introduce national service well in Greece they have national and the place is still covered in graffiti much worse than in Ireland.

I would say the people who did this were likely middle class alternative kids. Working class kids wouldn't have the money to buy spray paint.

i suspect the sort of people who storm a train in the manner described - no matter what class they are - are not the sort who worry about 'affording' paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

On Lavhline now.

I knew Irish rail would sell it on the basis of Graffiti artists gone mad and many would get sucked in by it. Yes there is a graffiti problem, but this was thuggery and very little to do with graffiti arstists that spray trains in depots during the night. This event is downright crime and a safety threat to passengers. We need transport police across all PT and we need it sooner than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Look up videos of train bombing on youtube and you'd find loads of it happening on Berlin. Fairly common to see trains on the continent covered in graffiti

I think the difference here, is that the train was forcibly stopped, in the station by a gang of masked and armed men, for 15 minutes, in order to do damage.

In other European cities it tends to happen in stations while the trains are parked up.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

AdrianII wrote: »
    The tag system is great but anyone can hop over the barriers. Compare that to the underground in the UK or US and they are like Fort Knox to leave.

When was the last time you were in the UK? You can easily hop the barriers. Loads of them are open a lot of the time too.

Advertisement