Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Milk tanks

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Milkingmad

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Our lad was saying about putting a red light outside dairy to show if milk was over 7 degrees, which I would see from the house? What do ye think?

Good idea I have something similar light stays red until cooler cuts out the only obvious problem is on the days that the tank washes the light is lit so it gives you a fright until you remember the milk was collected.

I found it hard to get someone to do it because nobody wanted to fit it Incase there was a problem with the light set up down the line and they might be blamed for the lost milk. Had to get a family friend to wire it up and agreed that if it did go faulty there wouldn’t be any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Our lad was saying about putting a red light outside dairy to show if milk was over 7 degrees, which I would see from the house? What do ye think?

Tank here send a text if temp high or power gone. If it can be done easy be no harm to do it someone would see it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote: »
    2 payments of 280 taken out in April and May milk cheque. Have to ring them again tomorrow, problems with a sensor again:mad: 12500litre tank

Disappointing to hear your still Having trouble with the tank. Is the dealer any help?
    Are you going with them for the parlour as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    Disappointing to hear your still Having trouble with the tank. Is the dealer any help?
    Are you going with them for the parlour as well?
    It's a packo. I haven't had to pay anything above the service contract. I know the service lads went after packo to pay for the new circuit board. Glad I have the service contract. But you shouldn't need it for a new tank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

The auld lad is looking to get a 6,000 litre second hand tank off one of the main dealers in Munster area (doesnt want to try and get grant for new one), can anyone recommend anyone? Kingston Refrigeration (Mueller dealer) is one in Cork we have been recommended, anymore would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

liam7831 wrote:
    The auld lad is looking to get a 6,000 litre second hand tank off one of the main dealers in Munster area (doesnt want to try and get grant for new one), can anyone recommend anyone? Kingston Refrigeration (Mueller dealer) is one in Cork we have been recommended, anymore would be great.

Charleville refrigeration would have a big selection. Great to deal with I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

kowtow wrote:
    Charleville refrigeration would have a big selection. Great to deal with I find.

I'm with them too, their gone to gea tanks now from dairycool. Not as easy to get them as their putting in robots a whole lot lately

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I'm with them too, their gone to gea tanks now from dairycool. Not as easy to get them as their putting in robots a whole lot lately

The milking (Gea and Milfos) side are separate from tanks Kev ,ive a darikool tank with contract .the odd minor issue with tank requires callout which is prompt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

mahoney_j wrote:
    The milking (Gea and Milfos) side are separate from tanks Kev ,ive a darikool tank with contract .the odd minor issue with tank requires callout which is prompt

He said to me lately their only sell g gea tanks now. Separate dealer I cork selling dairycool but they still service iirc. Also said the new gea tanks will show litres and options to text. Compressors are the same tho just rank and control panels differ

Anyone have any experience with Alfa Laval, DeLavel tanks ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

liam7831 wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with Alfa Laval, DeLavel tanks ?

Have one here 10 years. Only problem I had was the detergent lines collapsing after a few years. No detergent intakes then so you get high TBCs over 2 or 3 washes. Into the tank with a brush for a good scrubbing for a couple of hours and it's sorted but something to be aware of according to the service man.

Have one here 10 years. Only problem I had was the detergent lines collapsing after a few years. No detergent intakes then so you get high TBCs over 2 or 3 washes. Into the tank with a brush for a good scrubbing for a couple of hours and it's sorted but something to be aware of according to the service man.

i am looking at a refurbished one, did you get the problem sorted? Last thing we want is a one that does not wash properly as we have that problem at the moment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

liam7831 wrote: »
    i am looking at a refurbished one, did you get the problem sorted? Last thing we want is a one that does not wash properly as we have that problem at the moment!!

Yeah, easily sorted by just replacing the detergent lines. The acid line was totally closed I think but the caustic line had closed a lot as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭mickey1985

Looking at getting a new bulk milk tank here and have it narrowed between liscarroll and dairi kool. Darikool is cheaper but would like to know what people who have either think?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

mickey1985 wrote: »
    Looking at getting a new bulk milk tank here and have it narrowed between liscarroll and dairi kool. Darikool is cheaper but would like to know what people who have either think?

We have liscarroll tanks as long as i can remember have found the tanks very reliable. Also found the company very good to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

The tank is irrelevant as all manufacturers use a similar system. The key element is the refrigerant compressor. Liscarroll's system can be potentially spec'd with a Mueller hyperform compressor (seen as the best unit on the market) where as darikool has there own unit.

Over the course of its lifetime a bulk tank will have multiples of its purchase price paid in electricity charges. The efficiency of the compressor is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Do you know why they changed brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Do you know why they changed brands?
    Didn’t they lose the Gea dealership

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Didn’t they lose the Gea dealership

It was the daricool dealership that they lost for a very good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    It was the daricool dealership that they lost for a very good reason.

Can you elaborate on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mycro2013 wrote: »
    The tank is irrelevant as all manufacturers use a similar system. The key element is the refrigerant compressor. Liscarroll's system can be potentially spec'd with a Mueller hyperform compressor (seen as the best unit on the market) where as darikool has there own unit.

Over the course of its lifetime a bulk tank will have multiples of its purchase price paid in electricity charges. The efficiency of the compressor is key.

We have a icebank silo tank from liscarrol here, electricity wise they are most efficient, but compared to a conventional direct expansion tank nearly double the price, if you have a dodgey electrical supply they are brilliant though as compressors only run at night to build ice and this means your not overloading your power supply when milking

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭adriant900

Hi, How many KW of power (or Hp) will I need if I upgrade to a 15,000litre bulk tank? Around 220 cows.

When I look it up I find a lot of different answers, I will be talking to sales people but like to have some info first as I do not trust them to give the correct answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭straight

I don't know about the electricity but that's a small tank for that number of cows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Have you 3 phase. Two 7s I'd say. You'd still want to have a plate cooler with that amount of milk.

My thinking is that at peak they do a little less than 28litres per day, even if that increased to 30litres which is unlikely as breading decisions for the last few years is to drive less litres and more solid percentages, 30litres * 220 cows * 2 day collections = 13,200litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

is Kerry the only co op that requires 3 days capacity at peak

It is clear from the above posts that dx is more efficient than ice builders. Does anyone know the figures on it? I.e how many kwh do each use per 1000 litres of milk?

The reason I ask is that I have an ice builder, when I get a new tank, it will be a dx but I am thinking of getting solar panels and could keep the ice builder as a battery, use it when I have excess solar and use the ice to cool the milk with plate cooler down to 3 or 4 degrees.

Post edited by adriant900 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭cjpm

Ice builders are slightly cheaper to run as the ice can be built on Night rate elec.

DX are far cheaper to buy and take up a lot less space

A double stage plate cooler with well and chilled water is the fastest and cheapest way of cooling milk So hold onto the ice builder would be my advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement