Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bazzo wrote: »
    What? He said he wants to play for 10 years, not 3.

I'm sure he does, I'd love if he does as well. But he has an incurable auto-immune disorder that puts him at high-risk in a sport that already has plenty of early retirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'm sure he does, I'd love if he does as well. But he has an incurable auto-immune disorder that puts him at high-risk in a sport that already has plenty of early retirements.

Yes, but his intention is not to retire at the end of this contract, any more than any other 25 year old player's is.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Yes, but his intention is not to retire at the end of this contract, any more than any other 25 year old player's is.

No, I didn't know someone said that but I'd imagine he'll keep playing as long as he possibly can.

I feel for him, must be so frustrating. And if it does start to get worse then he'll have very tough choices to make.

My old coach was an Irish underage international scrum half and had to retire at 22 because of the same condition (although obviously I'm sure sports science and modern medication puts Lowe in a far far better place).

Good to hear Graham Henry's thoughts on Leinster!

Good to hear Graham Henry's thoughts on Leinster!

Yeah, was that before or after he came up to work with Leo I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Herald says Luke McGrath hit his markers last week.

No word on Ferg.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Herald says Luke McGrath hit his markers last week.

No word on Ferg.

Doubtful from other reports.

Indo saying Ruddock and Murphy both should be available. I didn't realise Murphy was much of a concern. I thought it was just a precautionary move when they took him out of the 23 for Connacht.

Labit confirmed that the Racing team remained in their training camp whilst the second string side went to their final T14 match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Are the squad flying out early in the week and having a mini camp or is it out thursday or friday does anyone know?

salmocab wrote: »
    Are the squad flying out early in the week and having a mini camp or is it out thursday or friday does anyone know?

Think they fly over Thursday afternoon.

On scrum V last night it was mentioned that Cardiff are going over wednesday and back Sunday due to flight availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Big decisions regarding JGP and Lowe. Lowe is our most lethal back three player but JGP is miles ahead of McCarthy as back up 9. An early injury to McGrath with McCarthy as back up is hide behind the sofa material.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clegg wrote: »
    Big decisions regarding JGP and Lowe. Lowe is our most lethal back three player but JGP is miles ahead of McCarthy as back up 9. An early injury to McGrath with McCarthy as back up is hide behind the sofa material.
    Racing have dangerous wingers, I'd say Leinster will go McFadden and Nacewa for the defensive side of things.

Lowe still seems prone to bizarre defensive lapses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

On scrum V last night it was mentioned that Cardiff are going over wednesday and back Sunday due to flight availability.

Ah, but they're probably flying Ryanair from Bristol!

Our boys will (or should) have the Government jet at their disposal - if Michael Dee isn't using it for one of his many overseas junkets!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

No word on Ferg.

Not much of a guarantee of anything, but saw him out on Thursday night and he’s certainly not limping or carrying his leg in any way.

awec wrote: »
    Racing have dangerous wingers, I'd say Leinster will go McFadden and Nacewa for the defensive side of things.

Lowe still seems prone to bizarre defensive lapses.
    McFadden's chances of making the final seem, eh, low.

Larmour could step in and Barry Daly move to the bench, but I'd rather have Lowe start. Get your best players on the pitch and hold nothing back. But I'm not sure it should be at the expense of JGP. It's a bit unfair to McCarthy as he's so inexperienced but I'd be terrified of having him play in the final if it's a close game.

If McFadden is out, I think they'll go with Lowe and Nacewa on the wings.

Rob Kearney is going to be a key player for Leinster on the day in terms of his organisation and communication.

I'm hoping to see:

Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, Fardy, Leavy, Murphy, McGrath, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Nacewa, Kearney

Tracy, McGrath, Porter, Ruddock, Conan, McCarthy, Carbery, Larmour.

It's harsh on JGP who went so smoothly against the Scarlets but I can't see us starting Larmour in this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There's no way McCarthy is going to be on the bench for the final. JGP had a strong performance against Scarlets, and McGrath is only coming back from injury.

I could see Fardy potentially sitting this one out if they decide to play Lowe, in favour of Dev and Ryan in the 2nd row. The Racing lineout is extremely strong and Dev will be needed in that regard.

There's no way McCarthy is going to be on the bench for the final. JGP had a strong performance against Scarlets, and McGrath is only coming back from injury.

I could see Fardy potentially sitting this one out if they decide to play Lowe, in favour of Dev and Ryan in the 2nd row. The Racing lineout is extremely strong and Dev will be needed in that regard.

McCarthy being on the bench is vastly more likely than Fardy being left out.

There is zero chance Fardy misses the game if he's fit. He's been Leinster's best forward this season, Leavys player of the season award be damned.

The Racing pack blew Munster's away in the opening 20. You need your grittiest, strongest tight forwards to combat them. That's Fardy all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah no hope Fardy drops out. Racing lineout was a farce against Munster too

Fardy barring some bizarre accident is 100% starting only question is where. If Mc Grath is fit Id think Lowe will start but thats not definite. Id agree that the step from JGP to Mc Carthy is very big but its a final you have to get your best players on the pitch.

• Advertisement

Poor Ferg. Was in good form and would've deserved to start the final.

Also sounds like it's a week too soon for Ruddock. Hopefully he might make the bench for the Munster game.

Poor Ferg. Was in good form and would've deserved to start the final.

Especially how it was caused too.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

That’s devastating for Ferg. He’d earned himself a starting place in the final with his form over the past few months.

Is it time to start guessing starting XVs? I'll go with;
    Healy Cronin Furlong
    Toner Ryan
    Leavy Jordi Fardy
    Mc Grath Sexton
    Lowe Henshaw Ringrose Isa
    Kearney

Tracy Mc Grath Porter
    Molony Conan
    Mc Carthy Carberry Larmour

Nothing controversial but I think thats how it will look

If Luke is fit then really I think it just comes down to their decision for that 21 jersey.

Don’t think there’s any wrong decision really.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

salmocab wrote: »
    Is it time to start guessing starting XVs? I'll go with;
    Healy Cronin Furlong
    Toner Ryan
    Leavy Jordi Fardy
    Mc Grath Sexton
    Lowe Henshaw Ringrose Isa
    Kearney

Tracy Mc Grath Porter
    Molony Conan
    Mc Carthy Carberry Larmour

Nothing controversial but I think thats how it will look

Yep, there’s very few questions over the team following the news about McFadden. I’d say Ruddock would probably come onto the bench in place of Molony if he were to be fit but no changes aside from that.

McFadden out for the season too and not just the final. Cruel for him as he deserved a crack against Munster as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Absolutely gutted for McFadden.

Probably means picking Lowe makes more sense now. Starting Larmour (out of position) with Daly on the bench? Not sure that's ideal.

• Advertisement

McFadden out for the season too and not just the final. Cruel for him as he deserved a crack against Munster as well.

I would imagine he'll be as upset about being ruled out of the summer tour. Whether he played or not, he was very likely to travel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement