Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    This whole thing with trumps legal team makes Lionel Hutz look a competent legal mind. Also, I heard it described on I think Lawrence O' Donnell as being like My Cousin Vinny without Marisa Tomei being the brains of the outfit.

He simply hasn't been able to get any sort of serious heavy hitting attorney (Emmett Flood excepted, though it took a year of coaxing to get him on board), mostly because he is unable to listen and obey the lawyer's strategy. He really only has the dregs.

The other news of the day : VP Pence's physician, Dr. Jennifer Pena, has resigned from the White House Medical Unit. It was she who reported Ronny Jackson to the WH last autumn, that he may have violated federal privacy protections for a key patient -- Pence's wife, Karen !!!

Looks like Trump blames her !

Does "Mother" attend when Pence has his annual exam ?

Oh, and btw the race is on to see who'll beat Don McGahn to the door next.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mumha wrote: »
    Oh, and btw the race is on to see who'll beat Don McGahn to the door next.
    They should just install a turnstile at the doors of the White House at this stage, and everyone should be given a temporary swipe card and not one with a picture like you get when you've been somewhere a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Guilani is a neocon and they are sneaky fellas. Could be a ploy to end Trump and replace him with Mike Pence. Thoughts of Mike Pence as President chills me to the bone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The White House has also walked back on Rudy's N/K releasing US 3 story. The import of that might not attract news headlines in the US due to the interest in the Stormy atory. Whatever about his damaging Don's interests in explaining about Cohen and Don & the Stormy payout, it's possible that he might have upset Don's chance of breaking good news & the credit, plus any work behind the scenes to secure the release which might have been a quid pro quo for him going to meet with Kim. Rudy may have pissed off Kelly, Mike Pompeo as well as Don. That could rebound on whatever other credit he got/get's from forcing Kim to the talks table, as well as giving Kim an out from the table "your advisors are leaking secret pre-talk talk deals like sieves".

Guilani is a neocon and they are sneaky fellas. Could be a ploy to end Trump and replace him with Mike Pence. Thoughts of Mike Pence as President chills me to the bone.[/QUOTE

I've been looking at the distance between Don & Mike in public photot-shoot scenes and wonder if, should Don be thrown under the bus, whether the Christian-right in the US forgive Mike for sleeping in the same bed as Don, given how much loyalty Don has given to God's laws. Will Mike's obeisance to Don be forgiven within the brethren? Allied to that is whether Mike might get the vote out from other religious-belief sections in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,525 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The Christian right will, and have stated as much, forgive anything once their man is in charge.

Whilst HC is to be condemned for enabling BC, Mike is to be cheered for sticking around to limit Trumps excesses.

One of the positives to come out of this is that the Christian right have shown themselves to be crass and unideological when it suits them. Far from being built on some foundation of god derived morality they have shown their moral values are flexible based on the outcome they can achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The Christian right will, and have stated as much, forgive anything once their man is in charge.

Whilst HC is to be condemned for enabling BC, Mike is to be cheered for sticking around to limit Trumps excesses.

One of the positives to come out of this is that the Christian right have shown themselves to be crass and unideological when it suits them. Far from being built on some foundation of god derived morality they have shown their moral values are flexible based on the outcome they can achieve.

That's what happens when you outsource your moral and ethical values and rely on someone else to make all your judgements for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sorry, HC/BC? Am slow this morning.

There's nothing Christian about the evangelical right in the US, it's all about the money with them, anti-abortion pays good and that's their only agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Igotadose wrote: »
    Sorry, HC/BC? Am slow this morning

Hilary and Bill I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,525 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Panrich wrote: »
    Hilary and Bill I reckon

Yes, that's it. I was typing on the phone so took the lazy route.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,855 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is it really a positive? Leaving aside such hypocrisy being dismissed as "fake news", it's probably justified for suppressing the "degeneracy" of the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If the evangelical base have performed enough mental gymnastics to justify supporting Trump, there's no shaming them and will pay no heed to the condemnation from centrists, or the 'coastal elites'. We're talking about a demographic that literally sees itself as the last bastion of morals, decency, heck civilisation itself against the godlessness of urban America.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Rudy to give two further interviews.

This must be what christmas feels like to Mueller and Avenatti...

Ohio has primary elections on Tuesday, with the Dems hoping to make inroads imto GOP incumbant seat numbers. The GOP governor & his running mate are electioneering over the weekend. Don is visiting Cleveland today on the stump. The WaPo has Trump as turning Ohio's electoral ladscape upside down.

Tom Barrack has been interviewed by Mueller's team ..... Say what now ? Who he ? Well....
    Barrack has rare access and insight into Trump going back decades, since their days developing real estate. Barrack played an integral role in the 2016 campaign as a top fundraiser at a time when many other Republicans were shunning the upstart candidate. Barrack later directed Trump’s inauguration.

Barrack, a wealthy real estate investor with close ties to several Midlde eastern leaders, met Trump in 1988 when he negotiated the sale of The Plaza Hotel in New York to Trump. Barrack’s publicist in 2016 described the men as having since “solidified a lifelong friendship between themselves and their families.”

Barrack was chairman of Trump's Inauguration committee, which raised over $100m yet spent way less than $50m, and there is no visibility on where the other $50m went.

The dangerous thing for Barrack is, Barrack employed Gates last year, wrapping up operations on the Presidential Inaugural Committee, before Gates was charged by Mueller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Tom Barrack has been interviewed by Mueller's team ..... Say what now ? Who he ? Well....

Barrack was chairman of Trump's Inauguration committee, which raised over $100m yet spent way less than $50m, and there is no visibility on where the other $50m went.

The dangerous thing for Barrack is, Barrack employed Gates last year, wrapping up operations on the Presidential Inaugural Committee, before Gates was charged by Mueller.

Trump wanted Barrack as his chief of staff too.

Stormy Daniels was on SNLs Cold Open last night, with Ben Stiller as Michael Cohen, Martin Short as Dr Bornstein, Scarlett Johansson as Ivanka, Kate McKinnon as Guiliani and Alec Baldwin as Trump.....was supposed to have been excellent. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before Trump tweets about it.

Stormy Daniels was on SNLs Cold Open last night, with Ben Stiller as Michael Cohen, Martin Short as Dr Bornstein, Scarlett Johansson as Ivanka, Kate McKinnon as Guiliani and Alec Baldwin as Trump.....was supposed to have been excellent. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before Trump tweets about it.

I think his biggest issue will be whether he fancies Scarlett more as Ivanka, than Ivanka as Ivanka.

I wonder if this is why Rudy gave an interview- to try get people talking about other things than the lampooning of him and his family.

Anyhoo - here's a link to most of the relevant quotes/sentiments, including further public shaming for sessions, and some bizarre hand stroking!

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/992932371925274624?s=19

That was a very friendly interview of course for him. The one with stephanopoulos will be forensic by comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm sorry but his NRA speech was beyond cringy, then saw the BBc supporting him, it's like I've fallen asleep and the world no longer makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Where did the BBC support him? Or am I misunderstanding something?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

looksee wrote: »
    Where did the BBC support him? Or am I misunderstanding something?

apologies I'm hyper sensitive to this stuff. Saw something the other day can't remember what and thought that.
    it just felt they were pushing a far right agenda. it may have been about brexit.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    apologies I'm hyper sensitive to this stuff. Saw something the other day can't remember what and thought that.
    it just felt they were pushing a far right agenda. it may have been about brexit.

Tbf i saw a report on RTE the other day and their reporting seemed somewhat neutered given what they could have said

everlast75 wrote: »
    I think his biggest issue will be whether he fancies Scarlett more as Ivanka, than Ivanka as Ivanka.

I wonder if this is why Rudy gave an interview- to try get people talking about other things than the lampooning of him and his family.

Anyhoo - here's a link to most of the relevant quotes/sentiments, including further public shaming for sessions, and some bizarre hand stroking!

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/992932371925274624?s=19

That was a very friendly interview of course for him. The one with stephanopoulos will be forensic by comparison

Yeah that was more car crash tv. I wonder he will get past another 2 weeks ?

Here's that SNL piece I mentioned earlier

MSN news is showing the words spoken by Rudy Giuliani during today's ABC This Week show interview. He said that Donald Trump would have had attorney Michael Cohen make payments to women other than Stormy Daniels if “necessary”, the president’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani said on Sunday as the White House sought without success to impose order on an increasingly chaotic and damaging scandal. Giuliani told ABC’s This Week he was “not really involved in the Daniels thing” and added, when confronted with inconsistencies between his statements and the president’s: “Right now I’m at the point where I’m learning.” On ABC, Giuliani said he had “no knowledge” of any other payments to women, “but I would think if it was necessary, yes. [Cohen] made payments for the president, or he conducted business for the president, which means he had legal fees, monies laid out, and expenditures which I have on my bills to my clients.” Giuliani said on Sunday Cohen would cooperate with investigators because he “doesn’t have any incriminating evidence about the president”.
    A presidential pardon for Cohen was “not on the table”, Giuliani added. “That isn’t a decision to be made now. There’s no reason to pardon anybody now … It has not been discussed.”

Michael Avenatti also spoke to ABC, calling Giuliani’s interview “an absolute, unmitigated disaster for Rudy Giuliani and the president, a train wreck”. MA also spoke to the Guardian about Rudy's interview.

On CNN, Kelly-Ann Conway explained what she understood the President menat by his remarks on AF1 about the payoff to Stromy some months ago. On CNN’s State of the Union, the White House counsellor Kellyanne Conway attempted to explain Trump’s Air Force One remarks by saying she was “relaying what the president has told me” .
    “When the president said no on Air Force One,” she said, “he was talking about he didn’t know when the payment occurred. It was a very fast-moving exchange … and so he’s saying he didn’t know about it when the payment occurred, he found out about it after the fact.”
    Any payments to women, Conway added in a characteristically combative and confusing interview, “did not cross my desk as campaign manager”.

They can't even lie straight anymore.

And apparently, Mueller has ALL texts and docs of Trump's campaign. Those walls are looking a little nearer...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

For such a smart, media-savvy and politically experienced man Giuliani seems to be making an awful lot of oopsies in a very short space of time. You'd wonder whether he's legitimately acting as Trump's counsel or if he's been sent in by the GOP to bring about a controlled demolition in advance of the midterms. There was no logical reason for him to get involved in this sh1tshow in the first place.

sabat wrote: »
    For such a smart, media-savvy and politically experienced man Giuliani seems to be making an awful lot of oopsies in a very short space of time. You'd wonder whether he's legitimately acting as Trump's counsel or if he's been sent in by the GOP to bring about a controlled demolition in advance of the midterms. There was no logical reason for him to get involved in this sh1tshow in the first place.

Other than he loves the attention !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Will be interested to see if Gina Haspel gets the nod for CIA director.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement