Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,332 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yeah, hadn't thought of the custody angle.

However, I doubt any court would take a child away from a mother with the means and clear stability that Melania has. But I agree, depending on the pre-nup, this might be a risk she is not prepared to take.
    Well, depending on the terms of the pre-nup, if she divorces Trump she may no longer be a woman of means. As for being a woman of "clear stability", she married Donald Trump, which obviously calls her judgment into question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭amandstu

Peregrinus wrote: »
    As for being a woman of "clear stability", she married Donald Trump, which obviously calls her judgment into question.

Exactly ,a mistake on so many levels. Bad enough for him to have grown into that caricature without someone else buying into it ...wait millions have?

Would Di Caprio be good to play him down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yeah, hadn't thought of the custody angle.

However, I doubt any court would take a child away from a mother with the means and clear stability that Melania has. But I agree, depending on the pre-nup, this might be a risk she is not prepared to take.

You have to remember who is on the other side of that custody battle; his money, his influence, the venality that would make him fight dirty and never compromise. Melania isn't a wide-eyed innocent in all of this but I think her life could get very difficult indeed if she tried to leave while he's POTUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Would assume that the NDA related tweets were drafter by a lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

everlast75 wrote: »
    What are your forecasts as to how this plays out?

Impeachment?
    Subpoena?
    Firing of Rod et al?
    Resign?

Stick it on the record now to be preserved for prosperity...

Continued cover up and denial. Democracy is at stake here and it's losing IMO. The power vested in one good man as President is one thing, but when he turns out to be a wrong one.. Let's see where it takes us.

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Well, depending on the terms of the pre-nup, if she divorces Trump she may no longer be a woman of means. As for being a woman of "clear stability", she married Donald Trump, which obviously calls her judgment into question.

She knew what she was getting....., a choice she made. The rest of the world did not choose him...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

VinLieger wrote: »
    Im not saying shes in the right as she should have known well what she was getting in to

Before the whole Presidenting thing, she probably had a good deal - big Manhattan apartment in a gold tower etc. etc., minimal contact with Trump.

Then all this crap lands, and she has to pretend to like him for the press 24/7 - not what she signed up for. Not surprising that she is bad at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Before the whole Presidenting thing, she probably had a good deal - big Manhattan apartment in a gold tower etc. etc., minimal contact with Trump.

Then all this crap lands, and she has to pretend to like him for the press 24/7 - not what she signed up for. Not surprising that she is bad at it.

True being his wife now is vastly different to a couple of years ago, just look at what Brigette Macron said about her, she described her as being a prisoner in the white house due to the security constraints etc. Not what Melania originally signed up for at all

• Registered Users Posts: 19,300 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

True being his wife now is vastly different to a couple of years ago, just look at what Brigette Macron said about her, she described her as being a prisoner in the white house due to the security constraints etc. Not what Melania originally signed up for at all

Fire and Fury book says she broke down crying when it was clear DJT was going to win...

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/992015378762096640

Ms. Conway is either heading for a Divorce, or she is getting fired if this keeps up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One can't really take any line or credence from his core base. Just what % of the American people are creationists? You just have to dismiss them from any logical thought. They are basically, a lost cause. If Trump gets as far as resignation, he can always fall back on Plan A and start a new TV channel for them, further to the right of Fox.
    Plan B was, to become POTUS BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Fire and Fury book says she broke down crying when it was clear DJT was going to win...

The phrase 'Bird in a gilded cage' has never been more apt. The phrase comes from a song written 118 years ago. The lyrics are as relevant today as they were then:

The ballroom was filled with fashion's throng,
    It shone with a thousand lights,
    And there was a woman who passed along,
    The fairest of all the sights,
    A girl to her lover then softly sighed,
    There's riches at her command;
    But she married for wealth, not for love, he cried,
    ]Though she lives in a mansion grand.

CHORUS
    She's only a bird in a gilded cage,
    A beautiful sight to see,
    You may think she's happy and free from care,
    She's not, though she seems to be,
    'Tis sad when you think of her wasted life,
    For youth cannot mate with age,
    And her beauty was sold,For an old man's gold,

She's a bird in a gilded cage.
    I stood in a churchyard just at eve',
    When sunset adorned the west,
    And looked at the people who'd come to grieve,
    For loved ones now laid at rest,
    A tall marble monument marked the grave,
    Of one who'd been fashion's queen,
    And I thought she is happier here at rest,
    Than to have people say when seen,

Repeat chorus

Water John wrote: »
    One can't really take any line or credence from his core base. Just what % of the American people are creationists? You just have to dismiss them from any logical thought. They are basically, a lost cause. If Trump gets as far as resignation, he can always fall back on Plan A and start a new TV channel for them, further to the right of Fox.
    Plan B was, to become POTUS BTW.

Not how elections are won (and they need to be ,sharpish).

People can be wrong on one score and open to argument on the other.

Trump won the electoral college by an extremely tight margin and a similar margin is totally acceptable to take the rug from under him.

Elections are won in the middle ground. Those not in the middle can still make their pitch and try to influence the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭josip

...Maybe she sold out her self-respect and knew what she was getting into...

Definitely this in my opinion.
    I used to have sympathy for her early on but I don't any more.
    She willingly entered into a contract knowing the terms and conditions in advance.

The phrase 'Bird in a gilded cage' has never been more apt. The phrase comes from a song written 118 years ago. The lyrics are as relevant today as they were then:

The ballroom was filled with fashion's throng,
    It shone with a thousand lights,
    And there was a woman who passed along,
    The fairest of all the sights,
    A girl to her lover then softly sighed,
    There's riches at her command;
    But she married for wealth, not for love, he cried,
    ]Though she lives in a mansion grand.

CHORUS
    She's only a bird in a gilded cage,
    A beautiful sight to see,
    You may think she's happy and free from care,
    She's not, though she seems to be,
    'Tis sad when you think of her wasted life,
    For youth cannot mate with age,
    And her beauty was sold,For an old man's gold,

She's a bird in a gilded cage.
    I stood in a churchyard just at eve',
    When sunset adorned the west,
    And looked at the people who'd come to grieve,
    For loved ones now laid at rest,
    A tall marble monument marked the grave,
    Of one who'd been fashion's queen,
    And I thought she is happier here at rest,
    Than to have people say when seen,

Repeat chorus
    She's an immigrant. What was her background? Is she perhaps keeping them
    in comfort back home?
    Maybe she feels she is living up to their expectations ,as well (no idea ,honestly)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Michael Avenatti was on Morning Joe earlier and blasts the stupidity of the latest Trump/Guiliani move including calling the lawyer who wrote Trump's tweet this morning, a moron.

Good call by Peregrinus about Guiliani getting this out there before it's exposed in the coming weeks...Avenatti says the same thing here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Mumha wrote: »
    Michael Avenatti was on Morning Joe earlier and blasts the stupidity of the latest Trump/Guiliani move including calling the lawyer who wrote Trump's tweet this morning, a moron.

Good call by Peregrinus about Guiliani getting this out there before it's exposed in the coming weeks...Avenatti says the same thing here

130k is peanuts to Cohen. According to Cohen's lawyer, he'll be getting 20 million off Avanetti:

amandstu wrote: »
    She's an immigrant. What was her background? Is she perhaps keeping them in comfort back home?

You are thinking too small! Per wikipedia:

While they were dating, Trump relocated her family to New York, where her parents now live for most of the year.

You are thinking too small! Per wikipedia:

While they were dating, Trump relocated her family to New York, where her parents now live for most of the year.
    Yes I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Id say shes worried about custody, who knows what kind of insane pre-nup she has signed with what kind of bonkers clauses are in it.
    At a legal level, considering the quality of Trump's representation to this point, I expect high-powered divorce lawyers would be good and ready for a Trump divorce. Probably the pre-nup's a poorly written hash that a good lawyer can drive a truck through.

But, Melania doesn't want to be divorced from the POTUS. That's obvious to me, if she wanted to be, she would be working on it.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    At a legal level, considering the quality of Trump's representation to this point, I expect high-powered divorce lawyers would be good and ready for a Trump divorce. Probably the pre-nup's a poorly written hash that a good lawyer can drive a truck through.

But, Melania doesn't want to be divorced from the POTUS. That's obvious to me, if she wanted to be, she would be working on it.

If she divorced him, wouldn't it be great if she got the White House?

Trump hates the White House, he thinks it's a dump next to Trump Tower and Mar a Lago.

Igotadose wrote: »

Yes she would. She knew what she was taking on... Plus the money helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

EDITED to remove references to a site-banned user.

A story has been doing the rounds for the past few days. It's a conspiracy theory about Clapper leaking the dossier to Jake Tapper and having Comey inform Trump to create the whole Russia hoax. Stinks of búllshít, obviously.

Sputnik - Tapper-Clapper Leak Proves Media, Intelligence ‘Collaborated’ to Make Russiagate

Zero Hedge - Clapper Busted Leaking Dossier Details To CNN's Jake Tapper, Lying To Congress About It

Russia Today - Ex-DNI Clapper leaked Steele dossier info to CNN, then tried to deny it in Congress – House report

As is often the case when one prematurely jumps on a partisan inspired defence of Trump, the truth has a tendency to come out a few days later and smear egg on the faces of such peddlers.

It turns out that the Republican Majority report here was unsurprisingly misleading. It suggests that Clapper initially denied speaking to the media and then corrected his testimony as though there was something nefarious going on.

Well, funnily enough, the actual transcript is available and is published in a nice article by the Washington Post entitled The unsupported claim that James Clapper tipped Jake Tapper about the dossier.

Here's the actual exchange where Clapper, who is a bit of a slippery character, is asked about the Dossier. In it he clarifies his initial denial immediately in the following question.
    Q: Did you discuss the dossier or any other intelligence related to Russia hacking of the 2016 election with journalists?
    CLAPPER: No.
    Q: Did you confirm or corroborate the contents of the dossier with CNN journalist Jake Tapper?
    CLAPPER: Well, by the time of that, they already knew about it. By the time it was — it was after — I don’t know exactly the sequence there, but it was pretty close to when we briefed it and when it was out all over the place. The media had it by the way. We were kind of behind the power curve, because the media, many media outlets that I understood had that, had the dossier for some time, as did people on the Hill.
    Q: Do you have any idea how they had it, how they got it?
    CLAPPER: The media?
    Q: Yes.
    CLAPPER: I do not.

Q: Was it your testimony earlier that you did, in fact, discuss the so-called dossier with CNN journalist Jake Tapper?
    CLAPPER: Well, after it was out, yeah.
    Q: And by out, what do you mean by that?
    CLAPPER: Well, once it was public. It wasn’t — you know, it wasn’t like this is an Intelligence Community document or anything. This was out in the media.

I'll also add that the dossier was known about since at least October 2016.

The article also points out that after asking Clapper when he first met Tapper, he said it was in May 2017 and not in January 2017.
    So The Fact Checker contacted Clapper and asked him when he spoke with Tapper.

“The first time I had any interaction with Jake Tapper was on May 14,” he said, referring to a 2017 appearance on CNN’s “State of the Union.” This was after Clapper became a CNN commentator – and four months after Comey’s briefing with Trump.

I'm not entirely sure where the Clapper-Comey conspiracy came from but the article also includes what the memos say about Comey's motivation for informing Trump about the dossier.
    I said media like CNN had them and were looking for a news hook,” Comey said in his memo recounting the Jan. 6, 2017, briefing in which he first told Trump about the dossier – a series of raw intelligence reports collected by a former British spy under contract with a firm working for Democrats. The dossier included allegations that Russia had compromising sexual material on Trump from a visit to Moscow. Many major news organizations at the time had copies or were aware of the allegations but had held off writing about it without confirmation.

In a Jan. 28 memo recounting a dinner with Trump, Comey wrote: “I explained again why I had thought it important that he know about it. I also explained that one of the reasons we told him was that the media, CNN in particular, was telling us they were about to run with it.”

There was no setup. This was some nonsense put out by a highly partisan and sycophantic republican to be gobbled up by other sycophants who just want to believe that their God Emperor isn't actually the shítstain on democracy that he actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'm not enjoying this presidency. Gilead belongs in and can be enjoyed in The Handmaid's Tale but Gilead as a real world fascist state and a superpower at that poses a massive threat to the world. Nothing good is going to come out of the current setup over there and the sooner Trump wakes up to the fact he has a gang of Neo-Nazis around him, the better. Too late when they turn on him. Remember in fictional Gilead, the president of the US ended up dead.

Are you the type of person who would shout at Mick Lally because Miley had a thing with Fidelma.

You seem to have trouble distinguishing reality and fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Read an article about that in the last month or two - though in today's Trumpworld, it might've actually only been a week but felt like months ago... they don't "own" the white house, it's a public building.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Here is Trump meeting a real hero. Teacher of the Year, who stands for everything that towers over Trump's negatives. A true witness to good values.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/02/teacher-of-the-year-award-trump-mandy-manning

Stay classy.

Danzy wrote: »
    I'm not enjoying this presidency. Gilead belongs in and can be enjoyed in The Handmaid's Tale but Gilead as a real world fascist state and a superpower at that poses a massive threat to the world. Nothing good is going to come out of the current setup over there and the sooner Trump wakes up to the fact he has a gang of Neo-Nazis around him, the better. Too late when they turn on him. Remember in fictional Gilead, the president of the US ended up dead.

Are you the type of person who would shout at Mick Lally because Miley had a thing with Fidelma.

You seem to have trouble distinguishing reality and fiction.
    Ah now,let's not speak ill of the departed.

Managed to see more of Gulliani's interview. Included the line that if Mueller "went after" Ivanka the Country would turn on him and that Jared, although a fine gentleman.. well, men are disposable.

Firstly, how sexist is that? Men can be questioned but somehow women can't?

Secondly, maybe Trump thinks Jared is an acceptable loss if he is taken down and Trump survives and G is just echoing his thoughts. It would make me uneasy if i were Jared.

Thirdly, Ivanka is a paid assistant/advisor in the white house. Why can't she be questioned?

While G says he ran everything by Trump before the interview, the Wall Street journal had him on "clarifying" his statements and you can be damn sure Trump didn't compose that 3 part tweet today (no spelling errors, caps lock or screams of witch hunt) so they are on damage control for sure.

• Advertisement

I think this qualifies as big news (even by today's standards)

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/992087692656697345?s=19

Avenatti says texts were intercepted too....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement