Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Binky333

Hi, I am applying to masters in Business teaching. I am just wondering about filling up the subject declaration form for the subjects do I put in all topics covered? Eg for financial marketing do I put in journals profit and loss account of just leave in the subject and the credits?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Binky333

Binky333 wrote: »
    Hi, I am applying to masters in Business teaching. I am just wondering about filling up the subject declaration form for the subjects do I put in all topics covered? Eg for financial marketing do I put in journals profit and loss account of just leave in the subject and the credits?
    Thanks in advance

Also I have my transcripts should I just include the subjects with the code accounting and other subjects with the accounting code?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Geech

Im currently in year 1 of the PME in NUIG and to say it is an intense course is an understatement. We are just about finished our first block placement meaning all the reflections, lesson evaluations etc. are due on Monday. I have gotten through my lesson evaluations alright but am just stuck on where to start with the reflections. Any help/advice or guidance in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Geech wrote: »
    Im currently in year 1 of the PME in NUIG and to say it is an intense course is an understatement. We are just about finished our first block placement meaning all the reflections, lesson evaluations etc. are due on Monday. I have gotten through my lesson evaluations alright but am just stuck on where to start with the reflections. Any help/advice or guidance in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

At the end of every lesson, can you say with 100% certainty that every single student achieved the initial learning outcomes/intentions?
    If not, why not?
    What would you do differently next time?
    What type of a teacher are you in comparison to other teachers you've observed?
    Any research that says there's another way to teach your subject/topic?
    Is there a pattern for student (non)engagement ... after lunch hyper, before lunch zzzz?
    Any tips from your cooperating teacher?
    Could you use IT, pair work peer learning, role play, AFL , AOL any differently?
    Did you do the lotto?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Hello!

I'm hoping to go back to college in 2019 to do the PME in Primary Education, and I'm looking for some advice. I'm currently working in a completely unrelated field.

I did some work experience in a school when I was in secondary school, and I've done a JAI placement with my last employer a few years ago, which I loved. I'm considering doing an online SNA course and trying to get classroom experience through that in advance of applying for the course. Has anyone here done this, and was it beneficial?

I'm also looking for recommendations for a good revision course for Irish please. I'm reasonably confident in my English (as that's what I studied for my degree) and Maths (A2 OL LC back in the day), but my cúpla focail are rusty and my confidence isn't great leis an teanga.

Thanks in advance for your support!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 CommaEmma

Hi all,

Anyone heading to Trinity to start the P.M.E in 2018? I'm heading back a little older at 26. Did a BA in English and Geography a few years ago but got settled into office work since. The work is in communications and has some development aid and education elements so ties in the two subjects well.

Has anyone done the course before? I'm hearing very mixed review at the minute! Also is there many older or mature students doing the course?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

CommaEmma wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone heading to Trinity to start the P.M.E in 2018? I'm heading back a little older at 26. Did a BA in English and Geography a few years ago but got settled into office work since. The work is in communications and has some development aid and education elements so ties in the two subjects well.

Has anyone done the course before? I'm hearing very mixed review at the minute! Also is there many older or mature students doing the course?
    Thanks.

I can't advise on the PME for TCD but can I just say that at 26 you will be around the same age as most people doing the PME. Having seen a lot of PME groups in my time I would say that they are often mature students going back to ed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Can’t comment on Trinity but there are loads of people in their late twenties, thirty’s and older in the PME in NUIG, you’re still one of us young ‘uns at 26! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

CommaEmma wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks.

I did mine in TCD. Feel free to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Likewise, in my experience 26 will be at younger end of PME students. Most seem to be 28-35.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 CommaEmma

Seannew1 wrote: »
    I did mine in TCD. Feel free to pm me.

Hi Sean, just pm'd you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

Hi Guys,

Looking for a bit of guidance here,
    I’m just finished a degree in Medicinal Chemistry and am interested in going on and doing a PME. I have credits to teach Biology and Chemistry to Leaving Cert Level I’m pregty sure. Having studied biology chemistry and maths during my course.

However what’s worrying me is in the 4 Years I have no direct physics ECT credits, I have physical chemistry and applied maths type modules but, on the teaching council website it says it requires 10 ECT credits in all 3 disciples to teach to teach JS Science? Will I run into a problem here?

155 credits in Chemistry
    65 in Biology
    20 in Maths

• Registered Users Posts: 30 EIMxxxEAR

Sucette! wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Looking for a bit of guidance here,
    I’m just finished a degree in Medicinal Chemistry and am interested in going on and doing a PME. I have credits to teach Biology and Chemistry to Leaving Cert Level I’m pregty sure. Having studied biology chemistry and maths during my course.

However what’s worrying me is in the 4 Years I have no direct physics ECT credits, I have physical chemistry and applied maths type modules but, on the teaching council website it says it requires 10 ECT credits in all 3 disciples to teach to teach JS Science? Will I run into a problem here?

155 credits in Chemistry
    65 in Biology
    20 in Maths

I'm in the same boat as you. The teaching council says 10 ECTS in Chemistry (or equivalent) but I can't find any info on what is deemed equivalent. I rang the PAC today to get some help but the guy had no clue, so I'm unsure if I qualify for JC science at all now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LadyLorr20

Hello! Anyone apply for the Hibernia PME primary 2018 here?. ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

EIMxxxEAR wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you. The teaching council says 10 ECTS in Chemistry (or equivalent) but I can't find any info on what is deemed equivalent. I rang the PAC today to get some help but the guy had no clue, so I'm unsure if I qualify for JC science at all now :(

I believe the "or equivalent" refers to the credits, like if they're from an American university they won't be ECTS.

I don't know anything about science, but I know when I applied for Business I needed 10 credits for both accounting and economics to teach JC business studies. We were told if we didn't have them we could get them by completing a module or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

LadyLorr20 wrote: »
    Hello! Anyone apply for the Hibernia PME primary 2018 here?. ☺️

Are you thinking of applying? Let me know if you have any questions.

alroley wrote: »
    I believe the "or equivalent" refers to the credits, like if they're from an American university they won't be ECTS.

I don't know anything about science, but I know when I applied for Business I needed 10 credits for both accounting and economics to teach JC business studies. We were told if we didn't have them we could get them by completing a module or two.

Ah ok, thank you! that makes sense. Do you know if doing these extra modules can be done during the PME? And would it cost extra?

Ah ok, thank you! that makes sense. Do you know if doing these extra modules can be done during the PME? And would it cost extra?

You'd need to pay to do the modules.

I don't think I would have been able to complete two extra modules during the PME, I found it very time consuming! - but maybe you have better time management :o

You'd need to pay to do the modules.

I don't think I would have been able to complete two extra modules during the PME, I found it very time consuming! - but maybe you have better time management :o

Doesn't look like I'd be able to have it done before the PAC deadline anyways & they say you can't do it during PME. Looks like I won't be teaching JC science so :(.
    Many thanks for your help!

Doesn't look like I'd be able to have it done before the PAC deadline anyways & they say you can't do it during PME. Looks like I won't be teaching JC science so :(.
    Many thanks for your help!

You can do the extra modules after the PME. Once you have enough for subject that should be enough to get you in to the PME.

I was told at my interview that I could add additional subjects afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 kenhan2015

Looking to talk to someone who has completed/in the middle of PME Primary Teaching from Hibernia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Hi, I’m going to take you up on your offer if you don’t mind? I’m applying for the September intake, what would be your key advice for prepping for the Irish interview?

Digs wrote: »
    Hi, I’m going to take you up on your offer if you don’t mind? I’m applying for the September intake, what would be your key advice for prepping for the Irish interview?

Know where your from,
    how you got to the interview,
    what your previous qualifications are in
    why you want to do the course
    How often you speak irish

Apart from that speak to yourself, speak to anyone who will talk irish to you,
    listen to tg4, news debates on rnag. You have to submerge yourself in it.
    Plenty will tell you that you might not need this much, but once your in the course, there will be just a whole new level expected.

Go n'éirí leat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Excellent! Thanks a million for the input, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 buttercup2017

Hi, can I also ask you for some information?

No problem, drop me a PM if you prefer

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LauraK118

Hi Everyone,

I just got accepted to the PME (languages) in UL, and was wondering is there anyone on here that got accepted also? or even to any other PME?

Accommodation is difficult because for the majority of second semester I will be on placement and not in Limerick. Are there are current PME students that would be interested in a house swap? as placements are on different times?

Also does anyone know if i can do placement in two different schools at one time? My subjects are German and Spanish and I am finding it difficult to find a school with both.

LauraK118 wrote: »
    Also does anyone know if i can do placement in two different schools at one time? My subjects are German and Spanish and I am finding it difficult to find a school with both.

Does UL not find the school for you? I'm just finished the PME there and we were told to never contact schools for placement ourselves.

You can do placement in just one subject if necessary. I have two, but only taught one on placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LauraK118

Does UL not find the school for you? I'm just finished the PME there and we were told to never contact schools for placement ourselves.

You can do placement in just one subject if necessary. I have two, but only taught one on placement.

Yes UL are contacting schools for us but I was just worried that they might not let me do the placement int he areas I have down for preference because the school does not teach both German and Spanish? It's either one or the other! But if you only taught one of them on placement it should be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 lynch5009

Hi! I wish to apply the do the PME next year. My first subject is Maths , but I dont know if my second subject meets the teachers council requirements.

I did a 4 year health profession related course (Level 8) in 2011. In total I have 60 Credits of biology related modules completed. However 20 credits of those are Pathology or Physiology modules (PATH 30010 Systematic Pathology, PATH30070 Mechanisms of Disease are the Pathology modules from UCD)

Does anyone know if these modules meet the teachers council requirements to teach LC biology? Or how do I go about checking with the TC?

Advertisement