Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

mrjones456 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, what is the name of the form?

The Education Department and Teaching Council told me that the degree assessment form (if this is the one with €200 fee you are referring to)was no longer part of the process (this was news to me) ,
    and this subject declaration is now needed-but I cannot find it online or get access to it. Anyone know where it is? or am I calling it the wrong name?

Yes the potential job prospects (or lack off) issue is a serious consideration, but I would like to find out for definite what I would be able to teach. Have been passed from A to B for the past fortnight trying to figure out what I need to do.

I had a quick look at the TC website and I found this in the FAQ section here: http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/FAQs/Post-primary-Qualification-Assessment/

It appears you have to be registered before an assessment can be carried out. I'm sure there is a way to get your qualifications assessed prior to doing a PME. I'll look again.

Have you any experience working with teenagers? I don't know if it's possible now with Garda Vetting but could you get some experience in a school shadowing to see if teaching is for you. The reason I ask is that you are making a very big decision to study to become a teacher because your prospects wouldn't be great with business subjects and you would want to be 100% sure it's something you want to do. Also consider your age/circumstances - can you survive on subbing for a few years? You may get lucky with maternity leaves but there will be competition. Do you want a mortgage/family? A few years of struggling to find work will impact on these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrjones456

I had a quick look at the TC website and I found this in the FAQ section here: link

It appears you have to be registered before an assessment can be carried out. I'm sure there is a way to get your qualifications assessed prior to doing a PME. I'll look again.

Have you any experience working with teenagers? I don't know if it's possible now with Garda Vetting but could you get some experience in a school shadowing to see if teaching is for you. The reason I ask is that you are making a very big decision to study to become a teacher because your prospects wouldn't be great with business subjects and you would want to be 100% sure it's something you want to do. Also consider your age/circumstances - can you survive on subbing for a few years? You may get lucky with maternity leaves but there will be competition. Do you want a mortgage/family? A few years of struggling to find work will impact on these things.

Thanks for that, I will have a proper look tomorrow, but there looks to be more information there than what I have been looking at so far.

I understand your concerns, and have similar ones myself, I have done shadowing in the past and I have always wanted to teach, and my degree not being recognised has been the main stumbling block facing me, when I started college I was assured that my degree was suitable for teaching, but goalposts were moved in the meantime or so I was told after the fact.

I have a decent amount of savings, so I would be okay for a few years, but I am concerned about only becoming qualified in one subject (Business), which as you say doesn't seem to have good job prospects from what I have been told.
    So I think having 2 subjects would be the main thing to make it feasible for me.

I have also been told of a course to qualify to teach Maths (after completing the PME) that would interest me, but that would be a long way down the track for me.

Thank you again for your advice and the information provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

You can't choose what methodologies you do, it is determined by the Teaching Council's list of recognised degree programmes. You can only register for the subjects they specify on that list otherwise further study is required.

Ah got you. Thanks for the clarification. Allow me to explain: when I spoke with Hibernia on the phone, they told me that as Modern Language pedagogy is a single subject, and since both my degree subjects are languages, I would need to take another methodology (even though I won't be qualified to teach it) to make up the shortfall of ECTS credits. I know I wouldn't be able to teach English. I know my friend's brother is studying for the PME in Music and is doing Music pedagogy but also modern language pedagogy to make up the shortfall, even though his degree will only quslify him for Music as he studied single honour music.

The only other option I am considering is training in Edge Hill in the UK where I have heard great things about the PGCE, as well as the training bursary of £20,000 as my subjects are French and Spanish and are in demand. I am still trying to get information from the Teaching Council if they recognise their PGCE +NQTS status for registration in Ireland. I'd like to come back with the qualification and teach in Ireland after some teaching experience in the UK. It's a gamble though if they accept it with Ireland having the 2 year PME. I have thought about staying in Ireland but I am not hearing great things about the PME courses near me. Ugh decisions.

Merci bien mtoutlemonde:)

mrjones456 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I will have a proper look tomorrow, but there looks to be more information there than what I have been looking at so far.

I understand your concerns, and have similar ones myself, I have done shadowing in the past and I have always wanted to teach, and my degree not being recognised has been the main stumbling block facing me, when I started college I was assured that my degree was suitable for teaching, but goalposts were moved in the meantime or so I was told after the fact.

I have a decent amount of savings, so I would be okay for a few years, but I am concerned about only becoming qualified in one subject (Business), which as you say doesn't seem to have good job prospects from what I have been told.
    So I think having 2 subjects would be the main thing to make it feasible for me.

I have also been told of a course to qualify to teach Maths (after completing the PME) that would interest me, but that would be a long way down the track for me.

Thank you again for your advice and the information provided.

Well I was never one to dampen anyone's dream - it's good to go in with your eyes open. Best of luck with your studies - if you have more queries hopefully I can help.

Just to note, that maths course is for teachers who have studied some maths modules in university and more importantly have to be teaching at least one period of maths per week.

Ah got you. Thanks for the clarification. Allow me to explain: when I spoke with Hibernia on the phone, they told me that as Modern Language pedagogy is a single subject, and since both my degree subjects are languages, I would need to take another methodology (even though I won't be qualified to teach it) to make up the shortfall of ECTS credits. I know I wouldn't be able to teach English. I know my friend's brother is studying for the PME in Music and is doing Music pedagogy but also modern language pedagogy to make up the shortfall, even though his degree will only quslify him for Music as he studied single honour music.

The only other option I am considering is training in Edge Hill in the UK where I have heard great things about the PGCE, as well as the training bursary of £20,000 as my subjects are French and Spanish and are in demand. I am still trying to get information from the Teaching Council if they recognise their PGCE +NQTS status for registration in Ireland. I'd like to come back with the qualification and teach in Ireland after some teaching experience in the UK. It's a gamble though if they accept it with Ireland having the 2 year PME. I have thought about staying in Ireland but I am not hearing great things about the PME courses near me. Ugh decisions.

Merci bien mtoutlemonde:)

Oh right, when I did my dip a few years back, if you didn't have two subjects, you did 'half methodologies(can't remember what they were called)' i.e. TY/LCVP etc. to make up the 5 ects. I can't understand though putting an English teacher into a modern foreign language methodology when it won't benefit them and they are going to a methodology with students who are proficient in languages and will have to carry the students who may not have studied languages since leaving cert. Just shows what Hibernia know about subjects.

Yes I agree you have excellent subjects. I'm not sure what the situation is with the PGCE and the TC. I have worked with people who studied in England and they all say that it was tough. You also have to work for a year after qualifying. I did my dip in Galway and it was the most dis-organised course I have ever studied, thankfully I didn't have to do two years. If you can stay in Ireland, it might stop some paper work when you come back. Bon courage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

A lot of good information in this thread, well worth the read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Our PME in maynooth seems to be really disorganised too. nobody knows what our timmetable is from week to week, different venues etc

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

hi, does anyone know roughly when applications for the PME usually open? (for entry in Sep 2017)

hi, does anyone know roughly when applications for the PME usually open? (for entry in Sep 2017)

http://www.pac.ie/main.php?inst=pe&ln=e

hi anybody teaching geography here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Dickie10 wrote: »
    hi anybody teaching geography here?

Why so? if it's a general teaching question then there might be a few looking in in the main forum if you want to throw up a new thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Silvergrass

Hi,

Applied to UCC last year for the PME got accepted but could not get a school place. My subjects are English and History which I did as a second degree via distance education in DCU. I am applying this year for the PME again but was wondering if it would be better to apply to NUIG as they do block placement as I may have a better chance of getting a school placement with my old school rather than applying to UCC. Was trying to find the list of approved schools for the PME in NUIG on their website but links not working. Teaching is something I have wanted to do for a long time and have done shadowing at various schools so I know what I am getting into but I really can not go through the whole disappointment of last year. Have considered Hibernia but would prefer to go via the traditional route. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Hi,

Applied to UCC last year for the PME got accepted but could not get a school place. My subjects are English and History which I did as a second degree via distance education in DCU. I am applying this year for the PME again but was wondering if it would be better to apply to NUIG as they do block placement as I may have a better chance of getting a school placement with my old school rather than applying to UCC. Was trying to find the list of approved schools for the PME in NUIG on their website but links not working. Teaching is something I have wanted to do for a long time and have done shadowing at various schools so I know what I am getting into but I really can not go through the whole disappointment of last year. Have considered Hibernia but would prefer to go via the traditional route. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

UL source the schools for PME students. There are 2 block placements.

Hi,

I heard somewhere that the all Universities are required to get you a teaching placement school. As you know students are left to knock on the doors tthemselves, but the University has to offer help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rosiee

I'm looking for some advice.
    I am a 4th year primary teacher student and have received my results on Monday which I passed all and currently on my transcript it says that I am on a second class honours.
    However in a lecture this week I was informed that you cannot receive a 1st class honours or 2nd class honours degree if you have not received an average of a B in teaching practices which I have not. I am really worried about this as all the work I have put into exams and essays seems to be useless now. Does this seem fair?

rosiee wrote: »
    I am a 4th year primary teacher student and have received my results on Monday which I passed all and currently on my transcript it says that I am on a second class honours.
    However in a lecture this week I was informed that you cannot receive a 1st class honours or 2nd class honours degree if you have not received an average of a B in teaching practices which I have not. I am really worried about this as all the work I have put into exams and essays seems to be useless now. Does this seem fair?

I know some colleges reserve the right to bump people up if they are a few points shy of a higher grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This is the norm afaik. Teaching practice is weighted more heavily than other components so you must achieve a high grade in it to get a top result overall.

This is the norm afaik. Teaching practice is weighted more heavily than other components so you must achieve a high grade in it to get a top result overall.
    It just seems very unfair I didn't do too bad in TP's and I'm just stuck at a third class honours even though I have done well in everything else but just didn't get B's in all of my placements.

It just seems very unfair I didn't do too bad in TP's and I'm just stuck at a third class honours even though I have done well in everything else but just didn't get B's in all of my placements.

Have you a second or a third? Is there an appeals process where you can appeal the result and see if there is anything that can be done to improve on? It may or may not come up in interviews, but I have never had to provide my transcripts other than teaching council registration so it may not even affect you getting employment.

Have you a second or a third? Is there an appeals process where you can appeal the result and see if there is anything that can be done to improve on? It may or may not come up in interviews, but I have never had to provide my transcripts other than teaching council registration so it may not even affect you getting employment.
    I have a 2nd now still have exams to do in May but I have been told that I cannot get a 1st or a 2nd now since I have not gotten B's in all of my TP's that I will automatically get a third. I have gotten B's and C's. Yea I think I will appeal my last TP grade.

• Advertisement

I have a 2nd now still have exams to do in May but I have been told that I cannot get a 1st or a 2nd now since I have not gotten B's in all of my TP's that I will automatically get a third. I have gotten B's and C's. Yea I think I will appeal my last TP grade.

Ignore that lecturer for now, it's not in their remit to discuss ambiguous stuff like that unless they are going to go through all the nitty gritty of grading (assuming they weren't from the exams office!), ring or go in to the secretary in the dept. and ask who you talk to about grading or teaching practice.

You would need to have grounds to appeal on the teaching practice.
    Has the language in your feedback from the teaching practices indicated that you should have gotten a higher grade than you did?

Have you only had supervision from one person so far?
    Try and get a second person to come out before it's too late... and plan the best lesson ever... get a colleague in the school to observe you maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ailish90

Can anyone tell me about the term time for the PME in Post Primary Education with Hibernia. The website indicates that if you start on in March/April you will finish in March/April 2 years later (24 months) but if you start in September you finish June (21 months). Why is there a difference?

i heard very negative stories about Hibernia, im currently doing the PME in maynooth. its very well ran imo, so if you can get in there do it

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i heard very negative stories about Hibernia, im currently doing the PME in maynooth. its very well ran imo, so if you can get in there do it

Could you elaborate....

I've heard negative stories about Maynooth too! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101163377&postcount=2678 :p

ah i got used to it its not bad at all to be honest adds to the intrigue!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Giuliarse

Hello :)

I am looking for tips for my interview for the Trinity College PME in Biology next week. I graduated in Natural Science in 2010 in Italy and I am so scared about the content of the interview!!! What kind of questions should I be prepared for? What should I know about classroom techniques and stuff like that? What questions will they ask me about my education so far? Any advise would be much appreciated!! Please help me :) Thank you to all who will answer my questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Giuliarse

Hi :)

Does anyone know how PME is structured at UCC? Can anyone give me more info on ap­proximate timetab­l­es during the cour­se of the year and how time will be divi­ded between lectures and School Placemen­t?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Hi folks. My wife got accepted onto the teaching course in Maynooth. However we have heard some horror stories about life as a teacher eg 10 years before getting a permanent job, headmasters preferring several contract teachers to fill one position rather than giving someone a full time job meaning people spend hours in a staff room waiting for work.

Is it really that bad? What are the chances of having a proper career as a history and Spanish teacher?

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Hi folks. My wife got accepted onto the teaching course in Maynooth. However we have heard some horror stories about life as a teacher eg 10 years before getting a permanent job, headmasters preferring several contract teachers to fill one position rather than giving someone a full time job meaning people spend hours in a staff room waiting for work.

Is it really that bad? What are the chances of having a proper career as a history and Spanish teacher?

Well some of what you have heard is true. It is true depending on registered subjects that it can take up to ten years (although a bit excessive) to become permanent in a job.
    There is no such thing as permanency in secondary education - teachers now get a CID - Contract of Indefinite Duration. Now depending on which union you're in, it can take four years starting fifth in ASTI or two years starting third in a TUI school.
    Regarding principals having several contracts filling one position - this does not happen. There was a law passed whereby teachers on part time hours have to be brought up to 22 if vacancies in their subjects arise. Now if for example a school is looking for a teacher of English and French for a maternity position - if a suitable candidate with both subjects cannot be found - it will re-advertised as two different positions.
    Now your other half has a very good subject in Spanish - it is getting very popular in schools and there is a shortage of language teachers. Not so much for history.
    If teaching is something she has always wanted to do and your situation now can survive with one wage for a few years - two at least with studying - then go for it. There was a thread here outlining the reasons why not to enter the teaching profession - I'll find it and add it here later. Just be sure that teaching is something for her - not just the holidays. It is a bloody hard job and subbing is extremely difficult. Best of luck to you both with your decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/asti-lack-of-job-security-threatens-future-of-irish-education-785628.html

What you have heard is true. Casualisation is a massive issue in teaching. Ten years to a full time CID is about right for how things have worked over the past decade. That was my experience and that of the majority of others I know qualifying since 2005. See also the statistics in the Ward Report. This showed that ETBs in particular were keeping teachers on part time hours.

Now things have changed over the past two years so it's difficult to say how things will pan out over the next decade. The time for CIDs was reduced and certain contract types became eligible for CID purposes - but the current industrial dispute means it doesn't apply for ASTI schools. However all contracts must be readervtised after year one so there is huge risk of not being reemployed, meaning back to square one for CID purposes. An issue becoming apparent in my ETB - and being discussed at branch meetings with a view to action being taken - is jobs being repackaged with different subject combinations before the readvertising meaning the incumbent teachers can't even apply. Some ETBs are determined to keep teachers in a precarious position.

The most significant, and long overdue change, though, has been the regulation of how any additional subject hours are distributed. These must go to part time CID teachers so this should help address the issue of multiple teachers of the same subject stuck on low hours CIDs.

There are those who will tell you that if you are a good teacher you will have no problems. But the fact is the Ward statistics and this recent poll point to a widespread problem of casualisation. If it was simply down to poor teachers then tbh there needs to be a serious investigation into how so many schools/ETBs have made so many bad hiring decisions using public money.

Your wife's subjects are ok but not fantastic. Both are options and History is seriously oversubscribed, but Spanish is growing in popularity and teachers are more scarce.
    bilbot79 wrote:

Advertisement