Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭corkie

Pecarlo1 wrote: »
    But is it the right spec phone ? I know i ill get caught with vat, but thats not a problem. Someone here mentioned if i order from china i will get chinese version as supposed to the hk normal one... Im confused

If your order from the below link, it is clearly marked as Global Version with Band 20 in description.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 4G Phablet Global Version - BLACK 258689901
    4GB RAM 64GB ROM Dual Rear Cameras Bluetooth 5.0 Fingerprint Recognition 4000mAh Battery

I mentioned it matter where you ship from if using Geekbuying, before in the thread. If unsure send Gearbest a message to clarify.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I've ordered a Note 5 plus from Geekbuying and had I shipped from Spain. All going well until I got an email this morning saying that the parcel has been "Retained in Customs".

I thought the whole point of shipping it from Spain was to avoid Customs or was I mistaken?

I've ordered a Note 5 plus from Geekbuying and had I shipped from Spain. All going well until I got an email this morning saying that the parcel has been "Retained in Customs".

I thought the whole point of shipping it from Spain was to avoid Customs or was I mistaken?

Package from the EU can still be checked by customs for fake/counterfeit goods.

You may need to provide proof of purchase, but still not have to pay VAT. Are you sure you order from an EU warehouse?

This thread might have better feedback, from others who have used Geekbuying.

Reddit wiki doesn't recommend that seller: -
    Geekbuying - Reportedly unremovable reseller ROMs, fake stock information, unreliable shipping, bad support

Why you decided to post in this thread for a different device than what the thread is about it, is another thing.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Price increase of Redmi Note 5 Pro in India!

https://twitter.com/XiaomiIndia/status/990871304634068993

Hopefully it doesn't have an effect on the China/Global Variations.

I was hoping for prices to stabilize and possibly drop, not rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The increase is not huge - INR 1,000 = €12+- at todays rate. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lads, i couldn't wait for a new phone any longer, and went with the Mi A1.

Fairly happy with it overall. To be honest, I miss MIUI though. Especially the quickball feature

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Fairly happy with it overall. To be honest, I miss MIUI though. Especially the quickball feature

Is there much difference between the two phones?

Is there much difference between the two phones?

The Mi A1 is just a rebranded Mi 5X i think.

Other than the stock android experience, there's not much difference hardware wise.

The A1 differs from the Redmi Note 5 a fair bit - screen size being one of the more obvious things. The A1 is a 16:9, 5.5 inch screen, whereas the RN5 is almost 6 inches at 18:9

Get MIUI's 'Quick Ball' Navigation Gestures on Any Android

^^^ Instructions for this app.

Glad I'm in no rush to purchase, it confuses me though why people go for weaker processor of the Mi A1 over WHYRED or even Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 (which is reported to have global bands).

corkie wrote: »

Get MIUI's 'Quick Ball' Navigation Gestures on Any Android

^^^ Instructions for this app.

Glad I'm in no rush to purchase, it confuses me though why people go for weaker processor of the Mi A1 over WHYRED or even Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 (which is reported to have global bands).

Thanks for that - I already have it installed. It's not near as good as the quickball. You can't minimise it off to the side of the screen. You can hide it in the notification bar, but it's there... constantly.... notifying you!

Also, the ability to lock apps using your fingerprint. MIUI has so many great features. I'm using an app called AppLock for this, but again, it lives in the notification bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobby_D

Has anyone bit the bullet on this yet?

These guys have the 4+64gb black global ver. listed if anyone has ever used the website?

https://www.eudirect.shop/product/xiaomi-redmi-note-5/

The link says redmi 5 but it looks to be the 5 pro to me. They have front camera listed as 5mp though???

I havent used them before. But they are pricey! €272 inc delivery. I'd be wary of shops saying they have stock at the minute - thats just me. If you are not in a hurry, i'd wait it out a bit. I reckon the price will drop and it will be available in the likes of Honorbuy / Hongkong Goldway.

Bobby_D wrote: »
    Has anyone bit the bullet on this yet?

These guys have the 4+64gb black global ver. listed if anyone has ever used the website?

https://www.eudirect.shop/product/xiaomi-redmi-note-5/

The link says redmi 5 but it looks to be the 5 pro to me. They have front camera listed as 5mp though???

Check the comments of the link: -
    EuDirect

We currently only have the Chinese version which comes with global multilanguage ROM with Google Play store installed. Global version will be available later this month.

Also expensive at €255 + €17 Shipping.

Ah i've waited this long i suppose i'll just wait it out.
    The battery on my galaxy S6 is really poor at the moment so i'm going to order as soon as i see a reliable shop with it in stock.

Thanks for the replies anyway I didnt bother to read the comments on the link. And thanks for all the info in general Corkie (y)

Bobby_D wrote: »
    Ah i've waited this long i suppose i'll just wait it out.
    The battery on my galaxy S6 is really poor at the moment so i'm going to order as soon as i see a reliable shop with it in stock.

Thanks for the replies anyway I didnt bother to read the comments on the link. And thanks for all the info in general Corkie (y)

looked further into the comments and found this.

Lucy1 day 23 hours ago
    Hi,
    Is global version available now?

0∧ | ∨ Reply

Support
    EuDirect1 day 23 hours ago
    Yes, global version is available.

0∧ | ∨ Reply

EM1 day 20 hours ago
    Hello, is OFFICIAL global version with B20 band ?

0∧ | ∨ Reply

Support
    EuDirect1 day 20 hours ago
    Yes.

0∧ | ∨ Reply

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just received an email notification from Gearbest that my Pre-Order for the RN5 has been cancelled due to supplier issue.
    Oh well, off to find the Kid a different handset as I am under time pressure on this one.

Dear Valued Customer

Thank you for your recent order at Gearbest.com.

Unfortunately, we regret to inform you that due to an issue with the suppliers, we can not ship your order out as items are unavailable now. We are taking measures to ensure that this issue does not happen again.

So I just went back to Gearbest and whilst my order is cancelled they have jacked up their price by @10%;

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

gearbest at their tricks and japes again :)

corkie wrote: »
    Price increase of Redmi Note 5 Pro in India!

https://twitter.com/XiaomiIndia/status/990871304634068993

Hopefully it doesn't have an effect on the China/Global Variations.
    I was hoping for prices to stabilize and possibly drop, not rise.
    banie01 wrote: »
    Just received an email notification from Gearbest that my Pre-Order for the RN5 has been cancelled due to supplier issue.
    Oh well, off to find the Kid a different handset as I am under time pressure on this one.

Dear Valued Customer
    Thank you for your recent order at Gearbest.com.

Unfortunately, we regret to inform you that due to an issue with the suppliers, we can not ship your order out as items are unavailable now. We are taking measures to ensure that this issue does not happen again.

So I just went back to Gearbest and whilst my order is cancelled they have jacked up their price by @10%;

There was a price increase so I would imagine others will put their prices up also.
    Not ideal them cancelling it especially if you are waiting on this phone. Cancelling a preorder is bad form but I guess that's how GB do business.

Im holding off ordering for a bit as I don't trust anybody showing "in stock" just yet.

Looks like they have done it to others as well.
    fixxxer wrote: »
    gearbest at their tricks and japes again :)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Xiaomi phones to be sold in Three stores in UK, Italy, and other European markets

The Beijing-based firm today announced that it has partnered with CK Hutchinson to bring Xiaomi products to Three Group Europe stores in Austria, Denmark, Italy, Ireland, Sweden, and the U.K.

The question is will the devices be locked to the Three Network, if you decide to purchase through that method!

BRIEF-CK Hutchison Holdings Forms Global Strategic Alliance With Xiaomi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Seen goldway has the global version .
    Should be in stock shouldn't it
    Global Version Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Mobile Phone Snapdragon 636 Octa Core 5.99" 18:9 Full Screen Dual Camera
    http://s.aliexpress.com/EZzANjim?fromSns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

honda boi wrote: »
    Global Version Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Mobile Phone Snapdragon 636 Octa Core 5.99" 18:9 Full Screen Dual Camera

When you go to order from Goldway it gives a ship time of 30days even for the DHL option

honda boi wrote: »
    When you go to order from Goldway it gives a ship time of 30days even for the DHL option

Note on the page for 4/64gb: -

Good News:

Redmi Note 5 64GB Global Version with Original EU Charger.
    Real In Stock Now. Fast Shipping

They probably haven't updated the shipping Information since place holder listings.

Also the price has dropped from

4/64gb - Standard with case - €215.87 + €21.59 DHL shipping.

to

4/64gb - Standard with case - €203.32 + €22.03 DHL shipping.

3/32gb - Standard with case - is also down to € 177.91 + €22.03 DHL shipping, from €186.81 + €21.59 DHL shipping.

Someone should fire off a message to the seller before ordering to clarify shipping times.

Xiaomi have partnered with Three to launch their devices throughout Europe

https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-phones-three-uk-italy-europe-861583/

Ireland is specifically mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Xiaomi have partnered with Three to launch their devices throughout Europe

https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-phones-three-uk-italy-europe-861583/

Ireland is specifically mentioned

Hope that doesn't drive up the prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Of course it will drive up the prices...They can't keep prices the same as Asian websites then Samsung/iPhone sales will go down in Ireland. I'd expect a 100 euro premium added on (a Mi A1 would be 250, for example - i know the A2 will be around then, possibly even the A3 if it's next year). That's my opinion on it.

What's to stop people buying Global versions online for cheaper anyway?

Ya, knowing Three, they will add their own premium to the cost. And likely have the handsets locked down to their network as well

I suppose one plus is, guaranteed Band 20 support for the handsets, removing that question from the equation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

You're right. Less time waiting around for the global device online. But still... i'd wait the few weeks or so if saving €€... at least you can check out what the phones are like in the shop then anyway!

rizzee wrote: »
    You're right. Less time waiting around for the global device online. But still... i'd wait the few weeks or so if saving €€... at least you can check out what the phones are like in the shop then anyway!

I'm an absolute disaster when it comes to gadgets though. If i had it in my hands, there and then, i'd get too excited and buy the damn thing there and then!

Ya, knowing Three, they will add their own premium to the cost. And likely have the handsets locked down to their network as well

I suppose one plus is, guaranteed Band 20 support for the handsets, removing that question from the equation

Do three Ireland still sell sim locked phones?

Three UK don't do it since 2014! : - http://www.three.co.uk/hub/what-is-an-unlocked-phone/

I asked the same question in the main Chinese Android Thread.

To make sure of Band 20 when ordering you just have to check the specs. Must online stores have clearly marked there devices as Global Variation.
    (Not to be mistaken with Global Rom flashed on a Chinese version.)

Edit: -

May the 4th be with you!

• Advertisement

Honorbuy have pre-order listings with prices!

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Official Global Version Smartphone Black
    €207.49 [Compared to Goldway €203.32 + €22.03 DHL shipping.]

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 3GB RAM 32GB ROM Official Global Version Smartphone Gold

€182.59 [Goldway € 177.91 + €22.03 DHL shipping]

Plus €15 for EU shipping.
    Note:

-This smartphone is available for pre-order in EU warehouse, orders placed from 4th May will be sent out on around 15th May 2018.

-Pre order & Get Free Gift: 1 x Tempered film

Good prices compared to Goldway!

Edit: -

May the 4th be with you!

Advertisement