Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭xckjoo

gmisk wrote: »
    I have no problem with a broke student getting 50 euro to get a flight home from liverpool (if people want to do that work away).
    But someone wanting (and getting) a grand! to fly home for 5 days from Canada/US (when the flights dont total that!) is kind of taking the piss (especially if they are clearly not a student and clearly not broke!).

Ya exactly. To be fair, I think the people I've seen are genuine about wanting to get home to have "their voice heard", but it would be more productive to donate the money for a campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,293 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

xckjoo wrote: »
    Ya exactly. To be fair, I think the people I've seen are genuine about wanting to get home to have "their voice heard", but it would be more productive to donate the money for a campaign.
    Exactly.
    I had to leave the group when I saw the same girl who got her flights paid for....came back to get the money for bus to airport and to home when she arrived in Dublin.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

gmisk wrote: »
    Exactly.
    I had to leave the group when I saw the same girl who got her flights paid for....came back to get the money for bus to airport and to home when she arrived in Dublin.....:rolleyes:

There's always people that take advantage of good will.

Someone asked me for a smoke the other day, and I gave him a good pinch of tobacco.

He told me not to be so thirsty, and to give him more.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

There some posts on here last night replying to other posters who stated they support exceptions for rape asking how such exceptions would or could work.

In Iowa a new law has being passed banning abortions from six weeks called the heartbeat bill,, but it does allow for exceptions for rape, to quote from the article.

"" The legislation banning abortion at six weeks has an exception for survivors of rape or incest, but it comes with a few caveats. In order to be allowed to undergo the procedure, the pregnant person would have to report the rape to the authorities or a physician within 45 days of the “incident,” says the bill "" .

https://www.refinery29.com/2018/05/197982/iowa-heartbeat-bill-abortion-ban-six-weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

There some posts on here last night replying to other posters who stated they support exceptions for rape asking how such exceptions would or could work.

In Iowa a new law has being passed banning abortions from six weeks called the heartbeat bill,, but it does allow for exceptions for rape, to quote from the article.

"" The legislation banning abortion at six weeks has an exception for survivors of rape or incest, but it comes with a few caveats. In order to be allowed to undergo the procedure, the pregnant person would have to report the rape to the authorities or a physician within 45 days of the “incident,” says the bill "" .

https://www.refinery29.com/2018/05/197982/iowa-heartbeat-bill-abortion-ban-six-weeks

And it's probably going to end up going before the Supreme Court to see if it is actually constitutional - it's expected to take a few years to get that far and by then Trump might have gotten the chance to load the Supreme Court with a few extremely conservative judges.

It's a salvo in the Republican party's current efforts to overturn Roe vs. Wade and throw women's rights back 50 years.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/crime-and-courts/2018/05/01/roe-v-wade-fetal-heartbeat-lawsuit-supreme-court-iowa-republican/442359002/

"" The legislation banning abortion at six weeks has an exception for survivors of rape or incest, but it comes with a few caveats. In order to be allowed to undergo the procedure, the pregnant person would have to report the rape to the authorities or a physician within 45 days of the “incident,” says the bill "" .

Forcing victims of rape & sexual abuse to report their attacks isn't acceptable.
    Some victims may never report, some may report years later, & some report at the time.
    These women are victims. Victims of an horrendous crime against them. It may take years to come to terms with it.
    You can't force a victim to report a crime within a certain timeframe. It's just not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It'll be struck down as unconstitutional in the lower appeal court within weeks.
    It's really only a 'stunt-law' by anti-abortionists to try to get into the Supreme Court and potentially have RvW overturned. Heartbeat law has been tried in a few states before, gets struck down and the Supreme Court refuses to hear any further appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It's really only a 'stunt-law' by anti-abortionists to try to get into the Supreme Court and potentially have RvW overturned.

And as a stunt, they don't care if the rape clause is practicable.

I remember reading that abortion law in Poland (which was brought in after a free-for-all under Communism) has an obnoxious rape exception. Wikipedia says:

In Poland, abortion is banned except in the following three circumstances.[4]

When the woman's life or health is endangered by the continuation of pregnancy,
    When the pregnancy is a result of a criminal act, or
    When the fetus is seriously malformed
    Unlike in other countries where abortion is banned, women in Poland are not subject to a penalty for illegal termination of pregnancy. Consent of a physician is required for circumstances (1) and (3) above, while abortions in view of circumstance (2) above must be certified by prosecutor. Parental consent is always required if the woman seeking abortion is a minor.[5]

In addition, persuading a woman to carry out illegal termination of her pregnancy is a criminal act.

And further down:

Estimates of illegal abortions per year put the numbers between 10,000 and 150,000, compared to only 1,000 - 2,000 legal abortions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

And it comes across as draconian...

Post about the heartbeat bill was to highlight one example of how rape exceptions work,, I wasn,t aware that Poland had a rape exception in their laws, thanks Zubeneschamali for highlighting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

This is a stupid law. For a healthy woman to get an abortion for a non-medical reason she has to report it as rape. Rape stats go through the roof, the police get criticized for not solving all these "rapes" and genuine rapes get lost in the confusion.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Post about the heartbeat bill was to highlight one example of how rape exceptions work,, I wasn,t aware that Poland had a rape exception in their laws, thanks Zubeneschamali for highlighting it.

It's incompatible with the pro life view though.

So a fetus is equal to a born baby except in cases of rape?

That doesn't make much sense,

Their exception is just to make it more difficult for women to get abortions, this exception would later be closed by them. You can guarantee it

Icbr have set up outside Coombe Maternity Hospital today,, they posted a video on their FB page - once again this is something I strongly disagree with, Maternity Hospitals are neither the time nor place to conduct such protests, such photo displays could be upsetting to someone coming out of the hospital who may of miscarried or may of had a stillbirth, a step too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Icbr have set up outside Coombe Maternity Hospital today,, they posted a video on their FB page - once again this is something I strongly disagree with, Maternity Hospitals are neither the time nor place to conduct such protests, such photo displays could be upsetting to someone coming out of the hospital who may of miscarried or may of had a stillbirth, a step too far.

Same could be said wherever they are.

With 1 in 4 pregnancies ending in miscarriage, it could be said their approach to protest is callous at the best of times.

EDIT: but I appreciate your calling them out.

And as a stunt, they don't care if the rape clause is practicable.

Think thats a stunt take a look at this one

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/07/12/health/arkansas-abortion-law-trnd/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

They are vile creatures to do something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Killester1

Does anyone know if all the Irish GP's have agreed to administer the abortion pill if the 8th is repealed, cause if they haven't and if they won't ....what happens then? Does the government have a plan B set up ..... Marie Stokes clinics in various locations? They've made a mess of the cervicalsmear testing for women, I really wouldn't trust them on organising anything properly if its repealed........

• Advertisement

Killester1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if all the Irish GP's have agreed to administer the abortion pill if the 8th is repealed, cause if they haven't and if they won't ....what happens then? Does the government have a plan B set up ..... Marie Stokes clinics in various locations? They've made a mess of the cervicalsmear testing for women, I really wouldn't trust them on organising anything properly if its repealed........

You must be expecting an awful stampede to doctors clinics.

Been a while but reports of 75% of doctors polled support the proposals

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/75-of-doctors-support-12-week-access-to-abortion-466855.html

Big difference between analysis and reporting of smear test results and carrying out a medical procedure or prescribing pills and providing after care, but good attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Some GPs have already said they'd administer the pills once the system is up and running. I imagine family planning clinics will too.

There are over 2000 GPs. Even if only 10% agreed to offer the service, and there were 10,000 women going to them, that's still an average of less than 1 each per week.

It's unlikely private operators will set up just for this, because it probably won't operate in the same way as England, where the pills have to be taken in a clinic. It'll probably be more like Scotland, which recently changed their laws to allow the woman take them at home, at a time of her own choosing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Are you trying to imply that because some doctors may chose not to prescribe the pills we should vote No to stop all doctors from doing so?

Gotta say at least you’re consistent in your anti-choice beliefs.

But I haven't seen anywhere that the GP's have agreed to go along with administering the abortion pill. Have you? I don't think the GP's in general are going along with it, as it went against their Hippocratic Oath. Does anyone know for definite?

I don't think the GP's in general are going along with it, as it went against their Hippocratic Oath.

Irish doctors don't swear the hippocratic oath.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Some GPs have already said they'd administer the pills once the system is up and running. I imagine family planning clinics will too.

There are over 2000 GPs. Even if only 10% agreed to offer the service, and there were 10,000 women going to them, that's still an average of less than 1 each per week.

It's unlikely private operators will set up just for this, because it probably won't operate in the same way as England, where the pills have to be taken in a clinic. It'll probably be more like Scotland, which recently changed their laws to allow the woman take them at home, at a time of her own choosing.

Tsk I never thought of the Family planning clinics......

amcalester wrote: »
    Are you trying to imply that because some doctors may chose not to prescribe the pills we should vote No to stop all doctors from doing so?

Gotta say at least you’re consistent in your anti-choice beliefs.

No....I just don't trust the Government on this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

But I haven't seen anywhere that the GP's have agreed to go along with administering the abortion pill. Have you? I don't think the GP's in general are going along with it, as it went against their Hippocratic Oath. Does anyone know for definite?

Some will perform abortions, some won’t.

• Advertisement

Some will definitely provide pills, some won't because they said they don't have training for them but will do so once trained, others won't for moral reasons, similar to those that won't prescribe contraception for moral reasons.
    Article recently in the IT or indo covering it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement