Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

skyblue46 wrote: »

On another note.....after 5 months of lacking any interest in DCM 18 I think I feel a stirring! It's not much but there's every possibility it will grow to a stomach bursting Alien type creature over the coming weeks :D

Sounds like a very enjoyable weeks running and I love the photos on Strava!

Delighted to hear you are thinking of DCM! That is great news!

It's more a fear that if I don't enter it and then want to do it I'd be majorly pi$$ed off! :pac:

FOMO they call it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Kellygirl wrote: »

Educate me...I'm thick! :)

Educate me...I'm thick! :)

Fear Of Missing Out :D

Fear Of Missing Out :D

Yes definitely!! :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    Ah I'm only slagging about the tattoo. Don't mind me!

They make me look like I'm going faster. Haha.
    skyblue46 wrote:
    As regards racing it...probably not. Lazare is going down as well and we have agreed to do it as a semi social sort of thing. I'll probably use the first half of the plan for endurance type stuff and then shorten distances and speed it up for the last 7 weeks. I have a 46:14 PB from last years Fingal but I want to get that down to a 42:xx

42:xx is well within reach with the right training and consistency. The shorter speed stuff will complement the base you have build up over the last good few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Is FOMO contagious.... i fear it might be :eek:;):P:cool:

ariana` wrote: »
    Is FOMO contagious.... i fear it might be :eek:;):P:cool:

Highly! No doubt about it!

Highly! No doubt about it!
    That's what i was afraid off... I'm showing some of the early symptoms already :p We might have a reunion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    That's what i was afraid off... I'm showing some of the early symptoms already :p We might have a reunion ;)

Sounds like a plan to me!

• Advertisement

Monday 2nd: The nearly standard 5k at recovery pace in lieu of a rest day! The only thing non standard about it was that it was done in Clarisford Park in Killaloe. I went down to Limerick to watch my sons Meath minor team get handed their ar$es on plates by Kerry in a challenge match. Got the idea of running in Clarisford after browsing the Parkrun site for possible places to run. It's a small park, a 1k loop which I did 5 times at a 9:41 per mile average pace.

Tuesday 3rd: A pretty uneventful run up to and around Santry Demesne. Got out after the worst of the morning rain. A few big puddles in the park but not too bad. 9.07 miles @ 9:11

Wednesday 4th: Session day. Went up to the track at ALSAA to do the 6 X 3 minutes at CV pace. It was a bit blowy on the exposed track which made pacing a bit difficult. Target pace was 6:40-6:49. Actual ranged from 6:33 to 6:43. Warmup and cooldown brought total miles to 8.56

Thursday 5th: Hills day. I went back up to Tibbradden and Cruagh woods to do this. Some change from the week before which had snow covered trails in places. A beautiful morning with clear blue skies and a smashing view down over the city. GPS went mad for 20 minutes in the middle of the run so I wouldn't treat the reported 6.21 miles @ 9.30 pace to be entirely accurate :confused:

Friday 6th: 3.1 recovery miles instead of a rest day. Pace 9:39

Saturday 7th: Session day. However no session was done....at least the prescribed session wasn't done. Decided to go to the Donadea 10k and do it as a tempo run. Met Lazare and Omeceron from the novices/ grads thread beforehand. I pretty much ran at tempo until the last km where I kicked on a bit. Time was 44:46 which was a PB by 1:25 over my Fingal 10k last year but it didn't feel like it as I had run nearly every Km slower than Bohermeen half :pac: Went into a very quirky coffee shop in the woods looking forward to a nice Americano only to get an insipid instant Nescafé! :( PBs for the two lads as well so not a bad day all round. Really enjoyed the 5k lap and have to admit to entertaining ideas of going around it 10 times later in the year. :eek:

Sunday 8th: Long run day at easy pace. 13.98 miles at 9:04. Not sure if it was the sudden increase in temperatures or the copious beers I had last night during the football and golf but I sweated buckets!! :rolleyes: The run itself was all on the hard concrete footpaths of the northside except for a little lap around Santry Demesne so no particularly exciting.

So that was the week that was. Next week will be more of the same no doubt, probably with a Parkrun on Saturday. Signing off now to watch the golf for the night, beer chilling in the fridge! :D

Week: 53.4 miles. Month: 65.5 miles. YTD: 600 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Nice going on the 10k, even if you weren't racing it.
    It was very humid out there yesterday, you weren't the only one feeling the effects of it!

eyrie wrote: »
    Nice going on the 10k, even if you weren't racing it.
    It was very humid out there yesterday, you weren't the only one feeling the effects of it!

Ah thank you young lady, you are most kind! It was a lovely 10k.

Humid it may have been but I think the fact my sweat was amber in colour and had a frothy head was a big clue to the cause! Haha

Humid it may have been but I think the fact my sweat was amber in colour and had a frothy head was a big clue to the cause! Haha
    Ha! I was trying to let you off the hook there but when you put it like that...

It'll be great to see how you get on when you have a real go at the 10k soon, looks like a very nice PB is in store! Dunshaughlin, isn't it?

Ha! I was trying to let you off the hook there but when you put it like that...

It'll be great to see how you get on when you have a real go at the 10k soon, looks like a very nice PB is in store! Dunshaughlin, isn't it?

Dunshaughlin is the plan. A 42.xx and I'd retire happy! That being said I realise from reading all the logs here that the best laid plans can come to nought. If it's not Dunshaughlin it will be somewhere else....eventually!

Week 3 Grads 5-10k Plan

Monday 9th: I'm sticking with the few recovery miles on rest days as I find I'm enjoying it and feel like something is missing in a day if I don't get the gear on and get out for some sort of a run! :confused: I went over to the Park and did a gentle 4 miles @ 9:41 and then popped into the visitor centre cafe for a gorgeous salad and a strong Americano. If only all Mondays were like this!

Tuesday 10th: Up the road to Johnstown Park for a few laps on a nice day. Nothing out of the ordinary. 8.27 miles @ 9:23

Wednesday 11th: Session day. 8 x 1 minute hills. Back over to the Park and everyone's beloved Khyber. I took a tip, I think from AMK, to drop something at the point I reached on the first repeat and to then run to it on each subsequent repeat. It worked a treat, all repeats were consistent, on pace and I think took the right amount of effort. The only downside was that as I didn't need to be looking at the watch I ended up miscounting and doing 9...the last one being done while my watch was counting down my cooldown minutes! :pac: A warm up around the acres followed by a similar cooldown and a bit down the S bends brought the mileage to 7.68

Thursday 12th: The Phoenix Park certainly saw plenty of me this week! Back over for some very easy miles. 7.11 of them @ 9:15

Friday 13th: Following on Monday's theme of not liking days off I got out for 4 jogging miles locally.

Saturday 15th: Plan was for 5 x 5 mins at threshold (4:20-4:29 per km)with some rests. As I wanted to do Parkrun I amended this to PR at threshold which would have meant about 21:40. I set the watch for a 22 minute workout at a 4:18 to 4:30 range. Still can't figure out why I do my sessions in Kms and general runs in miles!!! :pac: As luck would have it there was a 22 minute pacer so I decided to tag along with him. He set off a tiny bit too fast and as a result my watch started incessant beeping to tell me that 4:16 pace was faster than planned. As I ran alongside the pacer I felt obliged to apologise for all the beeping!! Anyway about half way he slowed to his required pace and I moved forward a bit to save his ears and sanity. Started to pick off a few and lifted the pace as I went along. Stopped the watch as I finished and was surprised to see over a minute left on the workout. That meant it was only my second ever sub 21. When I looked at the run time it was 20:41, a few seconds slower than Jingle Bells but a pleasant surprise considering it certainly wasn't flat out.
    On looking through Strava later I realised that the pacer was a man who normally sits atop the Novices Strava page who runs some unimaginable miles every week...no not a real Novice! :D So please accept my apologies for the watch Mr Higgins :)
    During my cooldown I saw a face I recognised from Strava and stuck out my hand for a very brief introduction. MurphD it was a pleasure to meet you. Total miles for the day was 7.91.

Sunday 15th: I decided to do my long run in the Phoeno again and then watch some of the GIR. This plan was made on Saturday and I was kinda regretting it on Sunday morning. What a miserable day! Some of the exposed parts of the park were really horrible. Race traffic was very congested so I left the park for the last third of the run. It ended up being 14.47 miles @ 8:59
    I was wet to the bone after this so back to the Hole in the Wall carpark, into the car, strip naked and throw on some dry clothes. Thank God for steamed up windows!! :eek: I met herself and we headed down to the race finish. Got a spot about 200m before the line. What a great finish to the elite men's race...as they passed us the lead 3 were sprinting shoulder to shoulder with not the thickness of a vest separating them. After that was a stream of hundreds and thousands of very wet and weary runners. I saw AMK pass on the far side of the road hugging the rails. I couldn't decide if he was saving himself for another day or just totally fooked but a read of his race report this morning clears that one up!! Back to the Hole in the Wall for some grub and a sit in front of a lovely hot fire. I would have killed for a few pints but unfortunately the night shift was waiting for me. :o

Looking forward I think I'll do the BHAA 5k on May 2nd and then a few more during that month. All roads still leading to the bustling metropolis of Dunshaughlin and 42 minutes plus xx seconds of pain!!

Weekly miles: 53.6
    Month to date: 119.1 miles
    YTD: 654 miles

Love the casual second-fastest-ever-5k there, no big deal to you at all!

Love the casual second-fastest-ever-5k there, no big deal to you at all!

I know...a very pleasant surprise! Bodes well for May and June. :D

So where's your log update young lady? ;)

I know...a very pleasant surprise! Bodes well for May and June. :D

Indeed it does! I look forward to reading all about it :)
    So where's your log update young lady? ;)

Ha! I'm working on it :p

So a drop down week of sorts and it felt a bit dull for some reason, most likely that I didn't manage to get away from local roads to add the usual variety to my runs. I have been stimulated by a few threads here to have a look at some HR running....more as a confirmation that training paces are reasonably accurate. I'll use the Karvonen heart rate reserve method as it seems to make a lot of sense.

Monday 16th: 30 minute recovery jog. 3.1 miles @ 9:40

Tuesday 17th: A nice 1 hour easy run down to Donnycarney and back up Griffith Avenue. 6.5 miles @ 9:17

Wednesday 18th: Session day. 6*2 mins @ AP. Paces were a touch too fast but were slightly wind assisted. Warm up and cooldown brought the mileage to 7.9 for the day.

Thursday 19th: Up to Poppintree Park for a few laps. 7.1 miles @ 9:07

Friday 20th: 5 miles at recovery pace instead of a rest day. 9:35 per mile.

Saturday 21st: Parkrun at threshold instead of a 4 X 6 mins threshold session. Paced it very evenly @ 6:48 per mile average.

Sunday 22nd: Went out for the planned shorter than usual 'long' run after work. It felt really good and after a couple of very easy miles I decided to throw a few km in at an easy tempo pace. That took me up to Santry Demesne and for the run home I dropped it back to very easy pace. My planned 90 minutes meant 10.5 miles done at an 8:34 pace.

Weekly Miles: 46.6
    Monthly Miles: 165.7
    YTD: 701

• Advertisement

Well done Sean. Still very high mileage.

Well done Sean. Still very high mileage.

I guess it is alright. My plan was to work on the endurance end of things while the 5-10k plan is identical to the 10k- HM plan. As soon as it gets more pace orientated I'll be cutting back the miles.

**WARNING** This may go on a bit!!! Last weeks update was probably my shortest to date but this one will probably end up somewhere towards the opposite end of the spectrum!

Now that we're a third of the way into the year I figured the time was right for me to review how the past 4 months have gone and more importantly how I use it to plan for the next couple of months. For May and June the few races I will be doing will be 5ks, a 5 mile and a couple of 10k races. Yet a quick review shows last week was the highest mileage week I have done, and last month likewise, since I started this journey a year ago. From now until the end of the 5/10k grads plan I will revert to the miles and times suggested in the hope of getting the most from the sessions. No more supplementary miles! :D:pac:

You can ignore all the heart rate data as I've mainly put that there for future reference. That being said if you're good on that kind of stuff feel free to comment/ criticise/ praise! :pac:

My heart rate zones based on the Karvonen Heart Rate Reserve method are; Zone 1: 116-128, Z2: 129-141, Z3: 142-154, Z4: 155-166, Z5: 167-179.

Monday 23rd: 3 miles @ 9:46 Recovery jog. Average HR:118, Z1 52% HRR. A few laps around Johnstown Park. I think humdrum is the word to best describe it!

Tuesday 24th: Very easy 7.5 miles @ 9:25. AV HR: 126, Z1 58% HRR. I wanted to start getting more running in on grass which I had badly missed the previous week. Beautiful run in the Pheonix Park. Loved it! The evening then ended on a high note when ariana texted me to let me know she will be this years Novices mentor and to ask me to be part of her back room team which I was delighted with. Ariana will be great for the role and will be able to cajole, nurse and urge all the novices in her own sweet and caring way. If that fails on anybody I'll arrive along with the jackboot approach! :D

Wednesday 25th: 8*1 minute hills session. Warmup and cooldown brought the distance up to 8.4 miles. I did this on the Khyber again, great spot for hills. Target pace was 5:50 per mile pace. Paces were 5:51 (HR 143), 5:42 (145), 5:40 (148), 5:43 (147), 5:46 (150), 5:46 (149), 5:47 (148), 5:38 (150). These were all done off 2 min jogged recovery. They are all in Zone 3 which I think is where they should be....but I'm open to correction. :confused:

Thursday 26th: 7.5 miles @ 9:20. AV HR: 126, Z1 58% HRR. Back on the hunt for more grass to run on I went out to Malahide Castle straight from work. What a beautiful evening and a gorgeous park. I meandered all over the place, this way and that, just taking in what felt like the first real summers evening.

Friday 27th: 5.3 miles again at a very easy 9:22 pace. AV HR 122 Z1 55% HRR. More grass! Nipped across the road to ALSAA after work and did a few laps of the pitches/ XC lap. Another smashing evening and the fields jam packed with hares....a bit of caution needed with their burrow holes all over the place! :)

Saturday 28th: Session day. Total miles 7.7 Plan had 15 mins of tempo, a 4 min jog recovery and then 10 minutes at threshold pace. Tempo was done at 7:18 per mile pace and threshold 6:52 per mile. Both were a touch faster than the 7:21-7:32 and 7:00-7:10 paces on the plan. Heart rate average during the tempo was 144 and the 153 for the threshold, both in Zone 3 (at opposite extremes!)

Sunday 27th: Long Run 14.7 miles @ 8:58. AV HR 128 Z1 60% HRR. Some runs are just perfect and this was one of them. Nothing to do with pace, distance or any such stuff...more a simple "it's great to be alive" sort of thing. I ran out along the Royal Canal from Cross Guns Bridge to near Clonsilla I think. Even though it was 7.30am there were walkers and joggers, a great sunny morning, swans and ducks. I particularly enjoyed the section from The Twelfth Lock onwards where the tarmac pathway gave way to an ever narrowing trail path. The dawn chorus may have passed but the birds were still belting it out!

Next up is a BHAA 5k on Wednesday evening. Legs not at all fresh but sure I'll give it a lash anyway. It'll be my first BHAA race but hopefully will add a couple more by the end of May.

Weekly Miles: 54.3

Monthly Miles: 220

YTD Miles: 755

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant stuff Sean another great week under your belt. Looking forward to hearing how the 5k goes go out there and give it a lash.

Also great news on being on the support team for the Novices you will get a great kick out of that this year.

Brilliant stuff Sean another great week under your belt. Looking forward to hearing how the 5k goes go out there and give it a lash.

Also great news on being on the support team for the Novices you will get a great kick out of that this year.

I'm really looking forward to the novices thread. I know it won't really kick off in a real way until the training plans begin. From then on it gets real!

The race tonight is a real shot in the dark. Too many recent miles in the legs and my first evening race. It'll be a bit of a rush as I won't finish work until 6.15. I think this is called getting your excuses in early! :pac:

Good luck tonight! As you say you've been training hard in the lead up so no pressure going into it really, just enjoy and see what happens!
    That's a great week you have behind you :)

I'm really looking forward to the novices thread. I know it won't really kick off in a real way until the training plans begin. From then on it gets real!

The race tonight is a real shot in the dark. Too many recent miles in the legs and my first evening race. It'll be a bit of a rush as I won't finish work until 6.15. I think this is called getting your excuses in early! :pac:

Sometimes the best races are under the least ideal conditions... we'll be having no excuses ;)

Seriously though another great week S. Your training since DCM has been so impressive and your training for DCM too for that matter. You're so consistent and sensible, you really have the right approach and it has paid off and will continue to do so. Whatever the result tonight i know there's a 5k pb and sub-20 on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good Luck at the 5km tonight and I have no doubt you will be very happy with your performance :)

I also agree, great news on the new DCM novices for 2018 I am really excited to see it up and running and what a great team they behind them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

That Sub 20 is coming tonight S, not a bother to ya. See ya later.

Advertisement