Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm and Lucy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lucy Kennedy. No personality. No charisma. No sense of humour. No talent. No engagement. No warmth. Nothing interesting to say, ever.

Gets lots of jobs in the media.

Why?

I assume she knows where somebody has a bunch of bodies buried... It has been a long mystery over on the Television forum, how does she keep managing to get the number of jobs she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Lucy Kennedy. No personality. No charisma. No sense of humour. No talent. No engagement. No warmth. Nothing interesting to say, ever.

Gets lots of jobs in the media.

Why?

She has what every good radio presenter needs....looks...:rolleyes:

...Oh...and babies x3

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jzot

Kyle More wrote: »
    Their 'Celebrity Loose' segment is the final straw for me.

Wasn't NOVA mocking those very same radio stations in an ad?

Jzot wrote: »

Yeah...but thats what the Nova listeners want......:rolleyes:

I hope the rebrand excludes the word "NOVA" from the station name......let it R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They also had an ad mocking JNLR figures and yet today are pushing them out as positive spin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

When was this ad? I can't say I remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jzot

When was this ad? I can't say I remember it.

Pretty sure they had something about only talking about Real musicians, and something on the line of "if you are interested in Rhianna you are on the wrong station" or something like that.
    It has gone a while.

BTW, thanks for suggesting Planet Rock. Tried it out for a few minutes and got Metallica, Gary Moore, Led Zeppelin, Def Leppard, Thin Lizzy...
    I hope I wont eat all of my Mb on the commute now :D

Pretty sure they had something about only talking about Real musicians, and something on the line of "if you are interested in Rhianna you are on the wrong station" or something like that.
    It has gone a while.

BTW, thanks for suggesting Planet Rock. Tried it out for a few minutes and got Metallica, Gary Moore, Led Zeppelin, Def Leppard, Thin Lizzy...
    I hope I wont eat all of my Mb on the commute now :D

Zenith is another good one..but i do miss a human voice...:)

I was listening to LQ on the "Colm and Lucy breakfast show" today.......funny that, its sooo bad you cant listen back....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

That's correct, it was still being played up until very recently. It went something like this:

'Guess what the Kardashians are up to now? Wrong station! If you want real news about real musicians..........' apologies, I can't remember the exact wording, but you get the gist.

Fast forward to Colm & Lucy's first week on air, Kanye West and Kim Kardashian were featured topics on their 'Celebrity Loose' segment.

That's correct, it was still being played up until very recently. It went something like this:

'Guess what the Kardashians are up to now? Wrong station! If you want real news about real musicians..........' apologies, I can't remember the exact wording, but you get the gist.

Fast forward to Colm & Lucy's first week on air, Kanye West and Kim Kardashian are featured topics on their 'Celebrity Loose' segment.
    What a difference "very recently" makes.

• Advertisement

What a difference "very recently" makes.

Nova has now become another face in the crowd as far as breakfast shows go, Mikey. Unoriginal, uninteresting and unbelievably conceited. I hope they cop on and realise that they're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. But I doubt they'll back down unless the figures are so woefully unacceptable that they'll be forced to review their position.

Nova has now become another face in the crowd as far as breakfast shows go, Mikey. Unoriginal, uninteresting and unbelievably conceited. I hope they cop on and realise that they're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. But I doubt they'll back down unless the figures are woefully unacceptable to the point that they'll be forced to review their position.

Thats not going to happen unless Hayes comes up with another great idea..."Hey, maybe we should concentrate on playing more music"....

Thin line between arrogance and ignorance....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Funny that 2 people like it.
    I never knew Lucy and Colm were on boards.ie

:pac:

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Funny that 2 people like it.
    I never knew Lucy and Colm were on boards.ie

:pac:

Ha ha! Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Has Lucy had elocution lessons? She sounds far more D4 than when she was on Podge & Rodge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cominatcha

Bringing Hayes in was the single biggest mistake (imo) Branigan has made to the station, and Hayes bringing in LK was the second...the whole idea is tired

It’s perfectly understandable - - has he forgotten even 2fm ditched him? I can’t see that CH has had a single positive effect in docklands but believe me the management don’t want to hear it ! Will it help with a national licence application ? Personally I’d have thought the polar opposite - again Bay have taken a niche licence and totally upended it - Nova is no more a rock station than 98fm

Cominatcha wrote: »
    Nova is no more a rock station than 98fm

Don't you mean Classic Hits 98fm? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭KildareP

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Don't you mean Classic Hits 98fm? ;)

Is it more of a rock station than Rock 104 though? :D

KildareP wrote: »
    Is it more of a rock station than Rock 104 though? :D

Touche Dude! :pac:

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Touche Dude! :pac:

Ah lads dont start this "..my dads rock is bigger than your dads rock.."....:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

They're completely wrong for Radio Nova. In the beginning, people tuned in to Nova to get away from that type of generic chatter in the mornings. At this stage, I'd have more respect for the station if they re-branded and ceased peddling the illusion that they're still a 'rock' station.

I am so relieved to see this thread & to learn that I am not alone in my feelings about how awful this new show is. I tuned in to NOVA when Phantom became TXFM. Well, not immediately, I tried for a while to adjust but TXFM couldn't hold a candle to Phantom to the point I ended up hating it. While expressing this feeling to a friend, one day, they suggested trying NOVA.

I liked the songs NOVA played and I didn't mind some of the presenters and while Dee & Marty irritated me with their squabbling-couple ways, by the time it became Marty & Conor, I was happy enough with the station.

I knew from the first mention of this new show that I wasn't going to like it but I told myself to give them a chance. I tried but it was too difficult to do because there isn't a single redeeming quality. I find them totally intolerable.

I'm looking for a new radio station to listen to in the morning but so far they're all as awful as each other. I still have NOVA on at weekends & some evenings and now I keep hearing NOVA congratulate themselves on how many new listeners they have. Shouting at the radio that they've recently lost one (granted, so far only in the morning time) is not much of an outlet for venting my frustration. This thread is a much better platform - thank you for starting it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I had left my car radio on Nova as I was listening to John Clarke on a drive over the weekend. Newsreader came on and read a partial headlines piece then theres silence for a few seconds.

Hayes comes on and apologises and tells the newsreader "you can continue with the headlines"

Does the guy like the sound of his own voice that much he has to interrupt the newsreader??

You could hear she was irked but didn't say anything.
    Very odd.

Switched off ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

I actually like Conor & Marty (even Ruth scott when she stood in too). I'd have preferred if they were kept on...but maybe ditched the when the feck segment.

Dee isnt too bad either....plays some decent retro music

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Dug through the attic and brought a pile of old cds out to the car so I wouldn't be subjected to that rubbish on the morning commute.

daheff wrote: »
    I actually like Conor & Marty (even Ruth scott when she stood in too). I'd have preferred if they were kept on...but maybe ditched the when the feck segment.

Dee isnt too bad either....plays some decent retro music

I liked Marty & Conor too. They were entertaining in a natural way, just two people having a conversation, slagging each other and having a laugh.
    dan1895 wrote: »
    Dug through the attic and brought a pile of old cds out to the car so I wouldn't be subjected to that rubbish on the morning commute.

Similar story here. I recently bought a new radio/cd player combo because the ancient & very cheap radio I'd been using for years finally died. When I got the new player I decided to dig out old CDs to listen to. Usually listened to them when I was cooking or sitting out the back or on the weekends but now I'm gonna be listening in the morning before work too. I've changed my clock radio, the one that wakes me up on work days, to some other generic station out of protest but will keep the one in the kitchen tuned to NOVA for the time being under the instruction that it will not be switched on during the hours of 6am & 10am.

Bit off topic but in case anyone is interested, 8Radio is on the 105.2 frequency Saturdays to Mondays, this week and next.

Bit off topic but in case anyone is interested, 8Radio is on the 105.2 frequency Saturdays to Mondays, this week and next.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057157564...;)

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    I am so relieved to see this thread & to learn that I am not alone in my feelings about how awful this new show is. I tuned in to NOVA when Phantom became TXFM. Well, not immediately, I tried for a while to adjust but TXFM couldn't hold a candle to Phantom to the point I ended up hating it. While expressing this feeling to a friend, one day, they suggested trying NOVA.

I liked the songs NOVA played and I didn't mind some of the presenters and while Dee & Marty irritated me with their squabbling-couple ways, by the time it became Marty & Conor, I was happy enough with the station.

I knew from the first mention of this new show that I wasn't going to like it but I told myself to give them a chance. I tried but it was too difficult to do because there isn't a single redeeming quality. I find them totally intolerable.

I'm looking for a new radio station to listen to in the morning but so far they're all as awful as each other. I still have NOVA on at weekends & some evenings and now I keep hearing NOVA congratulate themselves on how many new listeners they have. Shouting at the radio that they've recently lost one (granted, so far only in the morning time) is not much of an outlet for venting my frustration. This thread is a much better platform - thank you for starting it :)

You most certainly aren't alone. Posters on the 'radio nova' thread (myself included) sometimes disagree in regards to Nova's output and overall direction in recent years. However, I think most of us are in agreement that the Colm & Lucy Show is completely unsuitable for the station and a humdrum show in general.

What is interesting is that Nova are currently basking in the glory of their recent increase in listeners following the release of the latest JNLR figures. One could be forgiven for thinking that the Colm & Lucy Show played a part in that. What they're not telling you is that the latest figures cover up until March 2018, before Colm & Lucy went on the air.

You most certainly aren't alone. Posters on the 'radio nova' thread (myself included) sometimes disagree in regards to Nova's output and overall direction in recent years. However, I think most of us are in agreement that the Colm & Lucy Show is completely unsuitable for the station and a humdrum show in general.

What is interesting is that Nova are currently basking in the glory of their recent increase in listeners following the release of the latest JNLR figures. One could be forgiven for thinking that the Colm & Lucy Show played a part in that. What they're not telling you is that the latest figures cover up until March 2018, before Colm & Lucy went on the air.

Thanks, Kyle More, knowing the feeling is fairly unanimous makes me more hopeful their days will be numbered. I've no idea how regularly radio stations look to see what their listening figures are but hopefully they'll notice a drop in listeners since Colm & Lucy started. I used to have NOVA playing on two radios in the morning (upstairs & downstairs) & now it's not on at all, so that's a drop of two straight away. Slim pickings but hopefully more than me have tuned out.

As I said in my first post, I'm relieved to learn it's not just me being cantankerous & the general consensus is that they're no good. Hopefully the ratings will drop & they'll be replaced so I won't have to have Lyric Through The Night waking me up in the mornings (!) for too long - it's been fun pretending I'm in an episode of Inspector Morse but it's starting to wear thin. Very difficult to find a station that doesn't make me want to hurl the radio out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 appletara

So how long do you all think this show will last? I’m still annoyed about it- good god how can anyone think that Colm Hayes is even vaguely entertaining. I got used to marty in morns- fairly natural , Dee grand on her own show when Not talking babies etc , Ruth Scott annoying at first but played some ok tunes. Next question ? What to listen to now in mornings? No fancy radios in my car - anything even halfway decent will do once I don’t have to listen to that pair again

Advertisement