Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

• 16-04-2018 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I noticed that the Limerick equivalent is a very popular thread over on their forum so I thought I might get one going here. To kick things off I'll list the bigger current projects I can think of:

Under Construction 

Navigation Square: Four building office development on the former Navigation House site on Albert Quay. 310,000 sq ft of office space for up to 3000 employees. First phase to be completed Feb 19'

89-90 South Mall: 50,000 sq ft office, 5 storey office building.To be completed in December 18'

Dalata Hotel South Mall: Six storey hotel, 165 beds. To be completed in December 18'

Various Student Accommodation: Western Road and Beamish site are under construction, Crows Nest has planning and should start soon, Square Deal is facing appeals, Coca-Cola site on the Carrigrohane Road has had planning for over a year but nothing has happened? O’Riordans Joinery, Gillen House on Farranlea Road, Model Farm Road/Melbourne Road and Copely Street are all at various stages of planning and/or limbo.

Planning/Appealed

Horgan's Quay: Office Space for 5,000 employees, 200 apartments, 136 bed hotel and 3000 sq metres of restaurants and retail. Got planning permission in March but it was appealed by Port of Cork. Uncertain when the final decision will be. Construction on the Hotel will hopefully begin in Q4 this year with the office and apartments commencing in 2019.

Sullivan's Quay: 6 storey Office & 193 bed 4 star Hotel. Planning granted and immediately appealed. Given that demolition is nearly complete I'd expect this to go into construction as soon as planning is granted. Potential hold up over the height of the hotel, at 12 storeys and 47 metres, it is set to make the top 20 tallest buildings in the state if completed. An Taisce not happy.

Former Victoria Hotel: Knocking much of the Victoria and rebuilding to the back and refurbishing the original historic front/facade and to integrate the two sections into a new high order retail unit, of 25,000 sq ft, over four floors. Rumoured to be taken over by Zara. Planning granted in Feb, nothing happened on site since.

Metropole Redevelopment: €50m redevelopment of the Metropole Hotel to include a new five-storey boutique hotel on Patrick's Quay. Planning granted with amendments in March. No date for work to start. 

Wilton Shopping Centre: €100 million revamp proposed. Mistake made in planning permission. In the process of resubmitting.

In Limbo

Event Centre: 6000 all seater multi purpose event centre with a tourist brewery experience. Arguably the most controversial construction project in the history of the city. After a bleak 6 months at the back end of 2017 there have been two instances of positive murmurs from the Government and BAM in January 2018 and April 2018. Construction allegedly to start in Q4 2018 but there are still conflicting and contradictory statements from all parties involved. Most would be shocked to see this start in 2018.

Anderson Quay/Camden Quay/Trinity Quarter: All have had planning for years with no work on site. Camden Quay allegedly had some work going on last week but I'd be shocked if it was related to the actual construction. I can't see any of these sites being developed as per their current proposals.

Concept/Pre Planning 

Docklands Tower: 40 storey mixed use tower with the redevelopment of the existing customs house warehouses into cultural, tourist and retail space. By a mile the most ambitious development in Ireland. Announced over one year ago and no sign of a planning permission application yet, allegedly waiting for the Docklands development plan this summer to rezone heights for the site. If we don't see a planning application by the end of the year I'd be worried.  

Ford Distribution Depot: Put on sale last week. Former site of the extremely ambitious Atlantic Quarter. Major development opportunity

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Cheers for this!

Previous thread just on the (in-progress / upcoming / potential / pie-in-the-sky) hotel developments here too.

Incidentally I just passed the Anglesea Street courthouse at night the other day, and now that the hoardings are down it looks great lit up. I hope I'll never have to darken its doors, but it looks great from the outside at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

What are people's thoughts on the Ballinglanna development in Glanmire?
    http://ballinglanna.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭ Mekhi Fancy Beaver

11214 wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on the Ballinglanna development in Glanmire?
    http://ballinglanna.ie
    I reckon 608 families are very eager for it!
    I understand your feelings on it though.

But as per the development in Carrigaline, there are people crying out for houses. And prices are going to remain prohibited for many unless they are built.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

who_me wrote: »
    Cheers for this!

Previous thread just on the (in-progress / upcoming / potential / pie-in-the-sky) hotel developments here too.

Incidentally I just passed the Anglesea Street courthouse at night the other day, and now that the hoardings are down it looks great lit up. I hope I'll never have to darken its doors, but it looks great from the outside at least!

My aging auto is needing more tlc to keep it on the road so was in Canty's garage collecting it yesterday evening & he was telling me that the new courthouse is opening in May sometime. Hopefully it will be open to the public for one of the heritage open days as wouldn't mind having a look inside (as a visitor!).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Cool thread. :cool:

• Advertisement

Speaking of ambitious proposals (Atlantic Quarter), one of the biggest I saw (towards the end, if not after the end of the Celtic Tiger) was the plan for the Marina Commercial Park redevelopment (some details here).

Does anyone know if that's proposal's dead, or are there still plans to revive it? Or was it always pie-in-the-sky? It had some impressive features:

- Ford Experience centre
    - ~5,000 employed in the offices and support/retail etc.
    - accommodation for ~2400

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Speaking of ambitious proposals (Atlantic Quarter), one of the biggest I saw (towards the end, if not after the end of the Celtic Tiger) was the plan for the Marina Commercial Park redevelopment (some details here).

Does anyone know if that's proposal's dead, or are there still plans to revive it? Or was it always pie-in-the-sky? It had some impressive features:

- Ford Experience centre
    - ~5,000 employed in the offices and support/retail etc.
    - accommodation for ~2400

Its most likely dead in the water but that area could really do with that re-development!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭TheChizler

opus wrote: »
    My aging auto is needing more tlc to keep it on the road so was in Canty's garage collecting it yesterday evening & he was telling me that the new courthouse is opening in May sometime. Hopefully it will be open to the public for one of the heritage open days as wouldn't mind having a look inside (as a visitor!).
    There's no issue with anyone going in for a look while it's open, or attending most cases for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Advertisement

Is the Horgans key development before or after Railway street?
    It looks great.

11214 wrote: »
    Is the Horgans key development before or after Railway street?
    It looks great.

Pretty sure it's after / East of Railway St. I haven't had a look at the new Horgan's Quay entrance to the railway station, but I'd assume it's to the East of that too? Or perhaps wraps around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Pretty sure it's after / East of Railway St. I haven't had a look at the new Horgan's Quay entrance to the railway station, but I'd assume it's to the East of that too? Or perhaps wraps around it?

The development is between Railway St. and the Horgan's Quay entrance to the railway station. 400,000 sq feet of office space will definitely resolve any shortages :)
    Link to the official site with a great promo video, http://www.hqcork.ie

That's seriously awesome, what a great use of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Great news! Excited to see the end result!

Unreal news I wasn't expecting it that fast. I'd pay attention to the wording of the article though, they'll be on site by the end of the summer, I'd say the beginning of serious construction will be Q4 at the earliest. Still though, it looks very likely that we will have the biggest ever development in Cork (HQ), the second biggest development ever in Cork (Navigation Square) and the biggest hotel in the city (Sullivan's Quay) all under construction at the same time in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

Should this also be listed here?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bord-pleanala-clears-way-for-147-homes-on-cork-northside-469580.html
    The way has finally been cleared for the construction of 147 social and affordable homes on Cork’s northside on county land earmarked for transfer to the city.

It follows An Bord Pleanála’s decision to give the green light for the estimated €34m scheme in Mayfield, proposed by Cork City Council, following its appeal to the original grant of planning by Cork County Council.

The suburban 13-acre site off Boherboy Rd, south of the Glanmire end of the Old Youghal Rd, is just outside the current boundary of the city council, but is due to become part of the city under the city boundary extension process.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭rebs23

Besides some of the projects mentioned in the City Centre, some additional projects underway or soon to commence. Cork is going to be a hive of construction and development activity, in fact it has already commenced. At last count 10 tower cranes around city. More to be erected in the next few weeks.
    Major residential sites under constrution in Ballincollig, Kerry Pike, Carrigaline, Blackrock (3), Lenaghmore. Some more to commence soon include scghemes in Dunkettle, White St, Togher, Mayfield, Blarney & Horgans Quay.
    Major industrial projects commenced Johnson & Johnson (biggest construction project in Cork), MSD, Eli Lilly (all above 100 million). Data Centre, new Cheese factory (Mogeely) due to commence in summer 2018.
    Major hospital projects under construction at Bons Secour, Lee Rd and CUH.
    Civil Eng projects at Port of Cork and Dunkettle due to commence shortly.

rebs23 wrote: »
    Besides some of the projects mentioned in the City Centre, some additional projects underway or soon to commence. Cork is going to be a hive of construction and development activity, in fact it has already commenced. At last count 10 tower cranes around city. More to be erected in the next few weeks.
    Major residential sites under constrution in Ballincollig, Kerry Pike, Carrigaline, Blackrock (3), Lenaghmore. Some more to commence soon include scghemes in Dunkettle, White St, Togher, Mayfield, Blarney & Horgans Quay.
    Major industrial projects commenced Johnson & Johnson (biggest construction project in Cork), MSD, Eli Lilly (all above 100 million). Data Centre, new Cheese factory (Mogeely) due to commence in summer 2018.
    Major hospital projects under construction at Bons Secour, Lee Rd and CUH.
    Civil Eng projects at Port of Cork and Dunkettle due to commence shortly.
    Cheers, I don't appear to be able to edit the OP, I'll try at home later. Any chance you could list the projects with a crane? I have searched online for a crane count in Cork with no success.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭rebs23

Tower Cranes on site:
    Church Rd, Blackrock - Social Housing
    Navigation House - Offices
    Maldron, Parnell Place - Hotel
    JCD South Mall - Offices
    Western Rd - Student Apartments
    Western Rd - Bons Secour Hospital
    CUH Wilton - CUH Hospital
    Lee Rd - Care Home
    UCC - Student Centre
    another one being erected on South Main St - Student Apts
    Mini tower Blackpool? I think the 2 in Apple are now down. Any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Anyone know what's being built on the old Atlantic Homecare site near Friar's Walk/Pouladuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Taken from this thread : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057860953&page=2
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    BAM got planning approved last week for the development of 277 units in Castlelake, Carrigtwohill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

GavRedKing wrote: »

It will have direct access to the train station in Carrigtwohill so would be attractive to commuters working in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭blindsider

Anyone know what's being built on the old Atlantic Homecare site near Friar's Walk/Pouladuff?

Is there activity there? It'd be great if there was something......

600 hundred new homes for the Northside:
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/600-new-homes-to-be-built-on-the-Old-Whitechurch-Road-87ce9f56-0da3-4689-8124-02ee14615915-ds

Bit of a summary of the Northside housing projects also included:

"The wider area, which is currently split between city and county, has about 1700 units planned in total," he said.

This includes 400 proposed for the Longview Development in Ballyvolane, 400 at White's Cross, 600 on Old Whitechurch Road, 84 at Sunbeam, 117 in Blackpool and the 20 acres at Dublin Hill which could have approximately 200 units, Mr Sheehan explained.

Seems they haven't included those in glanmire?

blindsider wrote: »
    Is there activity there? It'd be great if there was something......

There seems to be a planning notice up - but I was driving by, and didn't get a chance to stop and read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I;ve heard its going to be an Avoca cafe.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I;ve heard its going to be an Avoca cafe.

That would be amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭blindsider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

snotboogie wrote: »

Easy knowing that is not a Cork publication :D

This is reflected in the 40-plus enquiries that we have seen including developers from Dublin and the UK, for the former Ford factory site near Cork's main GAA grounds.

The Ford factory site was in the Marina Commercial Park :rolleyes:
    The site they are referring to was always a car park, as in for new cars off the production line.

Advertisement