Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2018/04/18/konami-not-renewing-uefa-champions-league-license.aspx
    Konami Not Renewing UEFA Champions League License

Konami is not renewing the UEFA Champions League license for its Pro Evolution Soccer series – a license it has had for the last 10 years, and which was one of the few distinguishing licenses that set it apart from rival series FIFA.

The Champions League – a prestigious yearly competition featuring the top European clubs – was playable in PES titles as a separate tournament as well as folded into the Master League career mode. The loss of the license also means that the accompanying Europa League is leaving the series.

Jonas Lygaard, senior director of brand and business development for Konami, didn't elaborate much on Konami's reasoning behind the decision other than saying, "This year, however, we will shift our focus into other areas."

The Champions League was an exclusive license for PES, which lags significantly behind FIFA in its number of official licenses. In recent years, however, Konami has signed non-exclusive license deals with individual clubs such as Barcelona and Liverpool to feature those teams' official kits and stadiums, as well as inked deals with legends of the sport like David Beckham for its MyClub fantasy mode.

Rival FIFA from EA Sports currently has the exclusive World Cup license, but it's unknown at the time of this writing if EA will sign the Champions League license now that Konami has dropped out.

We've contacted both Konami and EA Sports on the matter, and will update this story if we receive any significant information.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Penn

J. Marston wrote: »
    Fortnite, PUGB and Overwatch get no shít because of not having a story and are wildly successful with no interest from fans in a plot. Why should COD be any different?

There are loads of amazing plot-driven games out there. A yearly shootbang FPS doesn't need one and shouldn't waste resources on one.

I think part of the complaint is that for the same price you usually pay for a yearly game that has single-player and multi-player modes, you'll now be buying just multi-player, albeit with one extra mp mode (which is essentially just a large-scale free-for-all).

It's basically less in-game product than previous years and having to pay the same price for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I guess anyone wanting to play CL football games will have to get used to playing them in FIFA's painful ultra-slow motion fashion so. If I could be gaming dictator for a day, banning EA out of existence would be one of the very first actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Billy86 wrote: »
    I guess anyone wanting to play CL football games will have to get used to playing them in FIFA's painful ultra-slow motion fashion so. If I could be gaming dictator for a day, banning EA out of existence would be one of the very first actions.

FIFA isn't good this year for sure, but's faster than PES by miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

FIFA isn't good this year for sure, but's faster than PES by miles.

Possibly, I just don't like modern football games. I don't know quite what it is, but for most of the last decade they just seem so, so much slower. When you make a great ball out to a speedy winger, it just feels like he is jogging and all the other players are just jogging along with him. I can see how it might 'look' nicer, but there's just a serious lack of intensity to it in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,042 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

While trying to emulate the feel of a football game modern football forgot to make the games fun first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭Doge

All this talk of Call of Duty is making me reminisce about the original game and its sequel and how much it brought the feeling of being in the middle of a war to you, and put the likes of Medal to Honour to shame.

I've dusted off the old CD's and I'm installing it as a I speak. Gonna be cool to see how it holds up after 15 years.

I haven't touched the series since Modern Warfare II.

A post for the Arcade and Retro forum I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Billy86 wrote: »
    Possibly, I just don't like modern football games. I don't know quite what it is, but for most of the last decade they just seem so, so much slower.

True, I loved pro evo back in it's heyday, I've tried the latest fifa and pro evo and after 1 game I'm bored, the games are too much like real football

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Doge wrote: »
    All this talk of Call of Duty is making me reminisce about the original game and its sequel and how much it brought the feeling of being in the middle of a war to you, and put the likes of Medal to Honour to shame.

I've dusted off the old CD's and I'm installing it as a I speak. Gonna be cool to see how it holds up after 15 years.

I haven't touched the series since Modern Warfare II.

A post for the Arcade and Retro forum I suppose.
    Much the same myself, haven't cared an ounce for COD since MWII single player campaign.

Was just thinking about the FPS genre - I wonder how an open-world WW2 FPS would do in a similar vein as Kingdom Come Deliverance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd replace citing with pure speculation on that comment. Seen nothing concrete other than journos mouthing off with no sources. Could just be performance issues.

Aye, that's what I meant. All pure speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Much the same myself, haven't cared an ounce for COD since MWII single player campaign.

Was just thinking about the FPS genre - I wonder how an open-world WW2 FPS would do in a similar vein as Kingdom Come Deliverance.

That's being made it's called Hell Let Loose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭Doge

Sieghardt wrote: »

That looks amazing!

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Will have to check it out!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Lost me at multiplayer game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

yup, one of the best fps campaigns of the last 10 years.
    The time travel level and a couple of others are absolutely amazing.

Lost me at multiplayer game.
    Same, definitely not what i had in mind when i say like KCD...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Looks very good!

The guys mentions 'Post Scriptum' in the video, this is that:

Very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ERG89 wrote: »

That's a really shít way to treat your staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

There's another quote further down the list of replies explaining that it was just a badly worded joke and there's obviously no 90 hour week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Even if this case was an ill-judged or poorly-translated joke, crunch is a very serious plague across video game development and needs to be completely eradicated. There’s very good reasons why work weeks are as short as they are (strong case that they’re too long in their standard ~40 Hour guise TBH). The ‘gag’ has gotten as strong a reaction as it has because it’s all to believable.

Too many horror stories of 12-hour days and six-day weeks for months on end. No defending it TBH: like all jobs some longer days during periods of pressure are perhaps inevitable, but the particular and prolonged intensity of it in video game development comes across as legitimately dangerous to people’s health and wellbeing. Not to mention the work is going to be sloppier and inefficient anyway. If game development demands that level of crunch, the process is fundamentally broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

^^Absolutely. I've no idea how programmers and the like are expected to get anything productive done working 10+ hours for days on end. Your mind and body would be fried.

Even though it was a sh*tty joke, it's nice to see the gaming community call them out fairly quick on it not being acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

While on the topic of crunch, Blood, Sweat, and Pixels is a good read/listen. Talks about the struggle indie and AAA studios go through making a game, with chapters on Stardew Valley, Uncharted 4 and Diablo 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Benzino wrote: »
    While on the topic of crunch, Blood, Sweat, and Pixels is a good read/listen. Talks about the struggle indie and AAA studios go through making a game, with Chapters on Stardew Valley, Uncharted 4, Diablo 3

I think the kindle version is currently on sale on amazon.co.uk too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Surely it's not that good?

DarpWzTVMAEES1y.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Penn

RasTa wrote: »
    Surely it's not that good?

I've been staying away from reading any reviews or watching footage of the game, so I don't know what the game does that is making it worthy of these scores. But from what I have seen on Twitter, even from people who only started playing it today and are a few hours in, is that if it keeps up the level of quality they've experienced so far, those scores are largely justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Even if this case was an ill-judged or poorly-translated joke, crunch is a very serious plague across video game development and needs to be completely eradicated. There’s very good reasons why work weeks are as short as they are (strong case that they’re too long in their standard ~40 Hour guise TBH). The ‘gag’ has gotten as strong a reaction as it has because it’s all to believable.

Too many horror stories of 12-hour days and six-day weeks for months on end. No defending it TBH: like all jobs some longer days during periods of pressure are perhaps inevitable, but the particular and prolonged intensity of it in video game development comes across as legitimately dangerous to people’s health and wellbeing. Not to mention the work is going to be sloppier and inefficient anyway. If game development demands that level of crunch, the process is fundamentally broken.
    12 hour days during heavy crunch? If they're lucky.

As for the follow up replies backtracking on the original statement, not to be too cynical but they'd have more weight if they didn't come from the Community Manager and Head of Publishing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interesting and very unexpected bit of news: the developers at Campo Santo - the team behind Firewatch - are joining Valve. They’re continuing work on their new game and working on Firewatch’s Switch port, but goes without saying that a team primarily interested in narrative and single-player games joining Valve is a rather curious development indeed.

https://twitter.com/camposanto/status/987806895736958976?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Could that mean that in the valley of the gods could be pc exclusive?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Could that mean that in the valley of the gods could be pc exclusive?

None of Valve's other games are are they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement