Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

Nobodies game was disabled. They can't do that. The disk still works. They blocked access to their servers.

They can if you are a PC player.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If you don't like the terms of service, then don't buy the game. Simple as that really.

CatInABox wrote: »
    If you don't like the terms of service, then don't buy the game. Simple as that really.

That is all well and good but in this situation, it appears that Blizzard are enforcing a ToS violation based on something that happened on another platform where it wasn't even a breach of that platform's ToS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

That is all well and good but in this situation, it appears that Blizzard are enforcing a ToS violation based on something that happened on another platform where it wasn't even a breach of that platform's ToS.

But he's making money as a professional Overwatch player and well known as a result of that so in their eyes, he's tarnishing their game by association. It's akin to Jamie Carragher's suspension by Sky Sports as a result of the gobbing video.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CatInABox wrote: »
    What utter bollocks.
    :mad:
    You don't even see the ToS until after you've bought the game, and they're in such legalese that no one has ever actually read them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Blizzard have their End User Agreement available here which is considerably clearer than most EULAs you agree to upon installing your average title.

More importantly in this case, however, is the fact that they also make their Code of Conduct available too which is incredibly clear. Even with johnny's summation above, it's pretty easy to not fall foul of.

In the case of xQc, putting aside the fact that he's an OWL player talking on an OWL stream who has already been suspended this season for ****ty behaviour, his defense rings utterly hollow given his ubiquity at both the game and Twitch in general. If Malik really is his good friend as he describes, maybe he should just read his fairly reasoned response to what happened, it may help him understand the situation a little better.

But he's making money as a professional Overwatch player and well known as a result of that so in their eyes, he's tarnishing their game by association. It's akin to Jamie Carragher's suspension by Sky Sports as a result of the gobbing video.

It's not really comparable as Carragher is free to take up the same position on another team, if you are banned from Overwatch competitive play then you can't move to another team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's not really comparable as Carragher is free to take up the same position on another team, if you are banned from Overwatch competitive play then you can't move to another team.

And this guy is free to take up the same position in another game. He's not banned from all of gaming just like Carragher is not banned from all of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Shut it nerds!

Billy86 wrote: »
    And this guy is free to take up the same position in another game. He's not banned from all of gaming just like Carragher is not banned from all of football.

A more apt comparison would be to say that Carragher has been banned from being involved in commentating on soccer but can commentate on basketball. In this situation, you have to treat each game as its own sport and as such, the ruling body of that sport has banned/suspended him for something he did on an unrelated platform which did not break any ToS rules on said platform.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

xQc is free to play another game. It's not like there isn't a wealth of FPS games out there.

Just to clarify, Carragher is now a pundit - with his suspension from Sky Sports, I'd imagine it is very unlikely that he's going to hop into another punditry job with ease. But he could have avoided that all by, you know, not being a dick.

xQc is free to play another game. It's not like there isn't a wealth of FPS games out there.

Just to clarify, Carragher is now a pundit - with his suspension from Sky Sports, I'd imagine it is very unlikely that he's going to hop into another punditry job with ease. But he could have avoided that all by, you know, not being a dick.

Saying they can play another game is all well and good but esports isn't comparable to other sports such as soccer. Just because someone is good enough at Overwatch to play professionally does not mean that will be able to pick up another FPS and reach the same level, I know it is a little bit of a stretch but it's like telling someone well you can't ski anymore but go snowboarding. I think that the guy is no doubt a knob, I don't play Overwatch or care that much about it but am interested in it from a ToS viewpoints as there could be some interesting legal ramifications.

Saying they can play another game is all well and good but esports isn't comparable to other sports such as soccer. Just because someone is good enough at Overwatch to play professionally does not mean that will be able to pick up another FPS and reach the same level, I know it is a little bit of a stretch but it's like telling someone well you can't ski anymore but go snowboarding. I think that the guy is no doubt a knob, I don't play Overwatch or care that much about it but am interested in it from a ToS viewpoints as there could be some interesting legal ramifications.
    In order to really understand any possible legal ramifications, we'd probably need to look beyond specifically Blizzard's End User License Agreement and Code of Conduct and at the contract the League players sign when they join. I'd be amazed if there wasn't a clause in that saying that they can be suspended for "conduct unbecoming of a League representative" or words to that effect which, even without a proviso stating it would only apply when involved in activities related to the League, would probably cover them legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'm finding it very hard to conjure up even the slightest bit of pity for this dude.

gizmo wrote: »
    In order to really understand any possible legal ramifications, we'd probably need to look beyond specifically Blizzard's End User License Agreement and Code of Conduct and at the contract the League players sign when they join. I'd be amazed if there wasn't a clause in that saying that they can be suspended for "conduct unbecoming of a League representative" or words to that effect which, even without a proviso stating it would only apply when involved in activities related to the League, would probably cover them legally.

It's the removing access to the game for actions undertaken on another platform which interests me. It's one thing to suspend from a position on the team and another to take away access to the game as a whole.

It's the removing access to the game for actions undertaken on another platform which interests me. It's one thing to suspend from a position on the team and another to take away access to the game as a whole.
    In the case of xQc? Unless he has multiple accounts, they didn't take away access to the game, he was streaming last night in high level Competitive play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's much more like how football forums are full of guys calling black players "athletic".

Is saying a player is athletic, racist? Nope.

Is doing it because you think it is a sneaky way to talk about a black player in a racist context but without it being obvious to anyone not in on the "joke"? Yes it is.

Same here, if it is widely accepted that that emoji spammed in the chat of black streamers is on the same level, then it's racist.

If this clown is dumb enough to join in racist behaviour on what is essentially a work function, then he should face the disciplinary procedure of that workplace.

All the free speech clowns need to realise their speech is protected not endorsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's much more like how football forums are full of guys calling black players "athletic".

Is doing it because you think it is a sneaky way to talk about a black player in a racist context but without it being obvious to anyone not in on the "joke"? Yes it is.

I/QUOTE]
    Hahaha.
    No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That's actually an issue that has been brought up in the NFL before, with the same people trying to claim "PC SJW blah blah blah" as a defense of it. Quarterback is the most important position in that sport by a country mile, and you can play it with feck all athleticism beyond a good arm by passing the ball around, or as a great athlete who runs around to avoid tackles and move up the pitch yourself. Historically the passers are the best in the sport, not the ones relying on athleticism.

You've got white guys like Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck whose biggest strengths would be passing but who can also run. You've got brown/black guys who can do likewise in Cam Newton, Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott who are similar. Yet for the latter guys it's their athleticism that gets emphasised far more and for the former (white) guys it's usually their intelligence, awareness and technique. My favourite one was this guy called Byron Leftwich who was black, a bit chubby, and simply a terrible athlete - one of those guys so bad at running that you'd rub your eyes if you saw him make it even close to 10 yards with the ball. There's nothing wrong with that, Tom Brady is the same and he's the best ever, but time and again I kept hearing about Leftwich's "athleticism as a QB" which was just hilarious. It's the case for almost all black QBs whether athletic or not, but that one in particular stood out to me.

There is also a reverse for it though, in fast white guys in other positions. The most common is wide receiver where I've heard Jordy Nelson (who plays for the team I support and has been one of the biggest threats to rocket by everyone in the opposition in the league for most of this decade) called "sneaky quick" so many times I've lost count. It's not like he's a small, nippy guy either - he's 6'3 and has long, long legs like Thierry Henry or Usain Bolt that makes his speed even more noticeable as he just kind of glides by everyone effortlessly. Or used to, he's getting up in years now.

Both are good examples, yet bringing up either leads to the same response that typically as you point out devolves sooner than later into "but muh free speech". Then again I think this is very often not done intentional and rather is just a passive thing done by association.

Personally though I would consider ramming the screen endlessly full of emojis of a black guys face when someone black shows up though, to be closer to throwing banana skins at black players. And so on that note, this might lighten the post somewhat! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm finding it very hard to conjure up even the slightest bit of pity for this dude.

Same, dude acts like a tool, gets smacked down, and people come out of the woodwork to defend him. So what if they banned him from playing overwatch? they should ban him from twitch too while they're at it. And do you know how many f*cks I'd give if they cancelled his steam account? absolutely none.
    I lose a little faith in humanity when I see things like the Rainbow 6 community bombarding the Ubisoft rep with questions on how to get around the racism filter / banning system that they recently implemented.

• Advertisement

I had a cursory glance at his twitter yesterday and was greeting by this absolute gem :pac:

https://twitter.com/xQc/status/973519687198765056

F**k right off mate :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Shadow of the Tomb Raider release date leaked...

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/973902986714984448

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

J. Marston wrote: »
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider release date leaked...

Looking forward to it.

Interesting news is that it will release on XB1, PC and PS4 departing from the console exclusivity window of the previous entry.

More info coming April 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

xQc's been released from Dallas Fuel anyways, we're about 30% of the way through the first season.

He's far and away one of the best tank players in the world, fair play to Fuel. I wonder how long it's going to take for him to be picked up again, if at all.

Same, dude acts like a tool, gets smacked down, and people come out of the woodwork to defend him. So what if they banned him from playing overwatch? they should ban him from twitch too while they're at it. And do you know how many f*cks I'd give if they cancelled his steam account? absolutely none. I lose a little faith in humanity when I see things like the Rainbow 6 community bombarding the Ubisoft rep with questions on how to get around the racism filter / banning system that they recently implemented.

No one here is defending him. Just pointing out the denying access to a platform based on an incident on another platform where his action broke no rules sets a dangerous precedent. He may be a toxic dick but having worked in ToS departments I have never seen the like of it. He may be getting what is coming to him and it could be fully deserved, I'm just interested to see it the Blizzard ToS team will be sanctioning normal players for similar actions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just pointing out the denying access to a platform based on an incident on another platform where his action broke no rules sets a dangerous precedent.

Wait... maybe I'm picking up the story wrong (I don't follow eSports so that's a possibility), but is this not the case of a paid professional with contractual obligations breaking a clearly defined set of rules set by a professional league, and therefore being suspended from said league? I don't think he's been locked out of the game entirely... in fact, there's archived video of him playing it yesterday (and the day before). I think there'd be a stark difference between a Joe Bloggs, casual player being locked out of their game and this case.

I don't work for Twitter, but I'm pretty confident if I said something with homophobic or racist connotations on Twitter I'd be penalised / suspended / fired by my employer (I'm not sure of the nuances of contracts between leagues, players and teams, mind you) as well as whatever consequences from Twitter itself. This is doubly true if I'd been warned about it before. I'd see this as fairly equivalent of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

SGC_PS4_BONUS_2DPACK_RGB_ESRB_1520430232.png

Another Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Collection hitting PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC on May 29 that will include over 50 games.

Comes with a poster! Which is an awful lot more than what comes in most game boxes these days!

Wtf is a Sega Genisis though?
    sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It better have Ristar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

If it has Comix Zone, I'm in. Frustrating to play on mobile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement