Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you are too old/fat/unfit/ *delete as appropriate* to play?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kepler_johan

How's everyone?
    I'm looking to see what team would be around Santry/Whitehall area for a 41 year old with a bad back and a messed up ankle looking to get fit again and break out of the day-to-day grind a bit. I haven't played football in the last 22 years, so I'd need to take it easy till I figure out what I'm doing. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Haemoglobin

I;m 17 and I want to start camogie, but I'm quite terrified I'll be judged as not being 'good or fit enough'. Most of my friends play and I don't play any sport at all... I'd really love to get involved as I love the sport and always have. I'm also not too keen on the rules/how to play properly. I think I really need some advice..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I;m 17 and I want to start camogie, but I'm quite terrified I'll be judged as not being 'good or fit enough'. Most of my friends play and I don't play any sport at all... I'd really love to get involved as I love the sport and always have. I'm also not too keen on the rules/how to play properly. I think I really need some advice..
    The best advice is to contact the local club, and get stuck in. Any low level team will always be glad of new players, even if it's just to have bodies for training. You're young yet. We have a man making his championship debut and he's 54 (a record?). If you're patient and stick with it, you'll improve, slowly but surely, and you'll have no problem fitting in. If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing at all.

Oh and bring a hurl and ball down to a wall you can strike it off. Do it every day for a half hour (less if you haven't time, more if you have). You'll get a lot more strikes doing that than you will at training itself, and there'll be nobody around to see you making mistakes. Strike off both sides, alternate between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Go for it. You only live once. Clubs love to see people joining in so don't be self-conscious.

Just on the subject of being too old to play, Realt Dearg are fielding a third championship team for the first time in our history today (the third team had only been in league before today), and one of our starting corner forwards is making his championship debut at the age of 54. I think this must be a gaa record. Hopefully he serves as an inspiration for others to know what's possible. Here's the story:

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/realt-dearg-364411

• Advertisement

Oh and if I can indulge myself: Realt Dearg C team won their match today, the first championship match in the history of the team. It's a huge thing considering when that team played it's first game they did so with only twelve players, many of them playing in their first ever match.

What I'm saying is, if you want to give hurling a go, there's a team in south Dublin that wants you there, the craic is great, your ability level will be catered for no matter what it is, and you will be valued. Send me a pm if you're interested, or go to realtdearg.com and contact anyone on the committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭Gael85

St James Gaels/An Caislean have 2 teams and always looking for new players. We are located in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Rd 10/15 drive from city centre Our Junior A team plays in Division 7 and Junior B is Division 11. Training will commence early January in Iveagh Grounds.

http://www.stjamesgaels.com/contact or email aaronirl@hotmail.com

Gael85 wrote: »
    St James Gaels/An Caislean have 2 teams and always looking for new players. We are located in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Rd 10/15 drive from city centre Our Junior A team plays in Division 7 and Junior B is Division 11. Training will commence early January in Iveagh Grounds.

http://www.stjamesgaels.com/contact or email aaronirl@hotmail.com

St James Gaels back training Sunday morning at 11 in Iveagh Grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

Haven't played in nearly 10 years but feck it I'm gonna get involved this year in some regard.
    Has anyone any experience of the Civil Service Hurling Club?
    Lad at work plays for them

Moon Dice wrote: »
    Haven't played in nearly 10 years but feck it I'm gonna get involved this year in some regard.
    Has anyone any experience of the Civil Service Hurling Club?
    Lad at work plays for them
    They're always looking for new players, I know that much. Can't remember if they have two, or three teams. But their lowest team would be delighted to have you. Always struck me as a good bunch of hurling men, would give a good hard game with no dirt, good few country lads in it. You'll regret it if you don't go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

Agree with Realt Dearg Sec, we played Civil Service three times last year and they're a good bunch, sound on and off the field.

Civil Service are grand until they reach a final. In which case you could end up marking Henry Shefflin :-)

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Civil Service are grand until they reach a final. In which case you could end up marking Henry Shefflin :-)

No different to the big clubs around the county, as soon as things start heating up, as sure as night follows day the clubs with the resources and numbers (we all know who they are) start putting out senior and intermediate players in junior championships to knock out junior clubs who have no higher teams. The difference in quality playing some of the bigger clubs in Spring and playing them in Autumn is often staggering. It's raised by small clubs every year at the county board and nothing pro-active is ever done about it (nothing shocking about that). It's a very disheartening thing to know you can work your ar$e off all year and then these super clubs will just swoop in and hammer your lads with a few seniors playing under false names.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

No different to the big clubs around the county, as soon as things start heating up, as sure as night follows day the clubs with the resources and numbers (we all know who they are) start putting out senior and intermediate players in junior championships to knock out junior clubs who have no higher teams. The difference in quality playing some of the bigger clubs in Spring and playing them in Autumn is often staggering. It's raised by small clubs every year at the county board and nothing pro-active is ever done about it (nothing shocking about that). It's a very disheartening thing to know you can work your ar$e off all year and then these super clubs will just swoop in and hammer your lads with a few seniors playing under false names.

I wouldn't say that's true from what I've seen. Well maybe in league games but champo games teams are very careful not to field ineligible players. I see it nearly every year teams doing it and getting turfed out, in Dublin anyway. What does happen is lads who are ex senior/intermediate will come out of retirement for big games so not much you can do about that as they are technically eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

I'm looking to get back into hurling after many years away from it. Looking to play in Dublin City Center (or as close as possible). Being honest, I may as well come back as a complete beginner and would also be interested in playing football.

Can anyone make a recommendation bearing in mind the level I'd be able for would be quite entry level.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

El Inho wrote: »
    I'm looking to get back into hurling after many years away from it. Looking to play in Dublin City Center (or as close as possible). Being honest, I may as well come back as a complete beginner and would also be interested in playing football.

Can anyone make a recommendation bearing in mind the level I'd be able for would be quite entry level.

Hi, St. Joseph's/O'Connell Boys are based in Dublin city centre. Our clubhouse and gym is just around the corner from Connolly and the IFSC. We play home matches in Fairview Park.

We're a very small club and are always looking for new members. Hurlers are junior D this year and league division 8.

We've a good mix of Dubs and country lads, very social environment. Drop me a line on rokeeffe10@hotmail.com if you're interested!

sheepo wrote: »
    Hi, St. Joseph's/O'Connell Boys are based in Dublin city centre. Our clubhouse and gym is just around the corner from Connolly and the IFSC. We play home matches in Fairview Park.

We're a very small club and are always looking for new members. Hurlers are junior D this year and league division 8.

We've a good mix of Dubs and country lads, very social environment. Drop me a line on rokeeffe10@hotmail.com if you're interested!

Cheers, just dropped you a mail there!

Don't be fooled by the title, if hurling is anything to go by the standard will be higher than you'd think. I think junior d in Dublin is probably as good as junior b in Kilkenny, though not by any means as dirty.

My local club has a Junior C team. As a beginner, would I be better off going to another club and joining a Junior E team?

Don't be fooled by the title, if hurling is anything to go by the standard will be higher than you'd think. I think junior d in Dublin is probably as good as junior b in Kilkenny, though not by any means as dirty.

My local club has a Junior C team. As a beginner, would I be better off going to another club and joining a Junior E team?
    Depends how far you'd have to travel for the junior e club, but if it's fairly nearby my opinion is you'd be better off there, Junior C is a fairly tough ask for a beginner imo (I played Junior C with Jude's before our club was set up and was definitely out of my depth at that level, played at D E and F later on and was more able to hold my own)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

Hey lads can anybody recommend a good palce to buy a hurl in Dublin?

Are 65 hurls any use? I used to always use Dowling Star hurls back in the day but won't get the chance to drop in there any time soon

• Advertisement

Not sure where to post this, but I was swinging the hurl around a few days ago for an hour a two and the skin at the bottom of my index finger began to tear. It was quite sore for a day or two. Is this common for beginners or is there something completely wrong with my grip? I've looked into getting hurling gloves but it seems they're more for palm protection and would be fairly useless for me.

Perfectly normal, anyone hurling regularly will have hands like a bricklayer with the calluses. Push through it is all you can do. Maybe put a plaster on it but if you play through it it'll go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I'm 27, just here to share my story on the above in the hopes it can encourage the others to get up and give it a go. I havent really played sport since before University when I was 18, and overdoing booze, smokes and laziness, generally stuck in a rut. A few problems with friends and a couple of unappreciated dead-end jobs, life really got caustic and I was looking for an out. After moving to Melbourne (and after a apart from a quick foray into junior hurling in Dublin a few years ago) have decided to lace up the boots again and start off playing football there 2 months ago. Definitely a great decision, I'd creeped up to just 17 stone back in Dublin and have now lost over a stone in the last 2 months. I now go to the gym at least 3 times a week, and train twice a week with a match on most Sundays. Although I'll still have the odd beer, I feel way healthier and am developing better habits in general.

The team I train with is senior and gives me a great platform to aspire to, the commaradary is great and everyone is encouraging. I'm not making the starting 15, but I do get a run out most games and this is what's driving me on, something great to aim for. Will let you know how I get on over here and how I progress but my aim is to get the fitness back to a decent level and eventually cement a starting place, if not this year next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

I'm 27, just here to share my story on the above in the hopes it can encourage the others to get up and give it a go. I havent really played sport since before University when I was 18, and overdoing booze, smokes and laziness, generally stuck in a rut. A few problems with friends and a couple of unappreciated dead-end jobs, life really got caustic and I was looking for an out. After moving to Melbourne (and after a apart from a quick foray into junior hurling in Dublin a few years ago) have decided to lace up the boots again and start off playing football there 2 months ago. Definitely a great decision, I'd creeped up to just 17 stone back in Dublin and have now lost over a stone in the last 2 months. I now go to the gym at least 3 times a week, and train twice a week with a match on most Sundays. Although I'll still have the odd beer, I feel way healthier and am developing better habits in general.

The team I train with is senior and gives me a great platform to aspire to, the commaradary is great and everyone is encouraging. I'm not making the starting 15, but I do get a run out most games and this is what's driving me on, something great to aim for. Will let you know how I get on over here and how I progress but my aim is to get the fitness back to a decent level and eventually cement a starting place, if not this year next year.

That is a great post. Love to hear of people getting back out there and taking on the challenge. Did it myself to a lesser extent years ago and it is a no lose situation in a way as hard to have any great expectations after being away from a game for a prolonged period.

Friend of a friend took up hurling fresh about the 30 mark and played away into 40s. He said it was a social outlet but same lad is a competitor to the last.

not cheap when you add on delivery, but the hurley depot in Kilkenny will post you up Star hurls. Best in the land.

https://hurleydepot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭brabantje

As a quick question, are there any clubs who'd cater for over forties in and around Dublin or Kildare? Even on a non competitive basis?

brabantje wrote: »
    As a quick question, are there any clubs who'd cater for over forties in and around Dublin or Kildare? Even on a non competitive basis?

Round Towers Clondalkin have a team for Dad's.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭brabantje

That might be useful - I work quite close to there. Cheers.

brabantje wrote: »
    That might be useful - I work quite close to there. Cheers.

If need contact for Towers pm me. I know the manager of that junior team

• Advertisement

Some of them are minors :)

Advertisement