Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you are too old/fat/unfit/ *delete as appropriate* to play?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Just joined a club this week, hadn't played in 7/8 years one of the best decisions I have made in my life to date! DO IT NOT IF YOU'RE THINKING ABOUT IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Just joined a club this week, hadn't played in 7/8 years one of the best decisions I have made in my life to date! DO IT NOT IF YOU'RE THINKING ABOUT IT

Last year I went back to Pallasgreen GAA after 13 years out. Had moved home and went up when training started. Early on I could only do one night a week, but from May I was at every session.

Played some Junior B games, and got on as sub a couple of times in Intermediate/Senior league games, and was a named (but unused) sub for the championship. I'm collecting an Limerick Intermediate Football Championship medal this Friday as a result. No hurling though, as I have negative talent in the game (much as I love it).

The club also made me PRO for my sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HartGAA

Over in the U.S.A we have folks of all ages just starting to learn hurling (including myself at age 49). I played lacrosse in college, so some of those movement skills have come back to me, but I am amazed how much one can improve with some wall ball and perseverance. My club (Hartford GAA in Connecticut) has a long history of hurling going back to the 1920s, but the last team played in the 50s. Last year we had a dozen matches and even managed to win one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bigdirtyjames

Sorry for the lack of reply. I'm in West Belfast - falls road area..
    GAAman wrote: »
    Where in belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

HartGAA wrote: »
    Over in the U.S.A we have folks of all ages just starting to learn hurling (including myself at age 49). I played lacrosse in college, so some of those movement skills have come back to me, but I am amazed how much one can improve with some wall ball and perseverance. My club (Hartford GAA in Connecticut) has a long history of hurling going back to the 1920s, but the last team played in the 50s. Last year we had a dozen matches and even managed to win one!
    In some parts of Ireland the local handball alley is mainly used by hurlers working on their striking. Repetition after repetition great to ingrain the skill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Urfa

Hi everyone,

Im CONSIDERING going back to play camogie after a 7 year break!! Would like to join a club that have beginners training or something along those lines. Moved to Dublin from Galway recently and am living around the phoenix park area so ideally would like something close by!

Am still building up the courage to actually join something but am mainly turned off at the thoughts of joining a team that have already gelled and are way above my fitness and skill level. From playing with camogie clubs I know this would not be a pleasant experience for everyone!!

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Don't know if this is the right place for this,delete or move if needs be.

I used to play hurling for over 10 years but that was going back a bit now,I have an injury to my hand so can't play competitively,just wondering does anyone puck a sliotar around in Dublin the odd evening as I still have an interest,im in dublin 22 but anywhere around south/west would do

• Registered Users Posts: 12 deemul

Urfa wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Im CONSIDERING going back to play camogie after a 7 year break!! Would like to join a club that have beginners training or something along those lines. Moved to Dublin from Galway recently and am living around the phoenix park area so ideally would like something close by!

Am still building up the courage to actually join something but am mainly turned off at the thoughts of joining a team that have already gelled and are way above my fitness and skill level. From playing with camogie clubs I know this would not be a pleasant experience for everyone!!

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it!!

Hi Urfa,
    I'm considering the same. However, I'm away from camogie alot longer...try 20 years!!!! I'm 40 this year and would love to get back into training. I know my fitness level is way down so i'm working on that. I also coach U10's camogie so I frequently have the hurl in the hand, knocking it up against the wall. Our club in Kildare has an intermediate team only and all the girls are very younger, probably half my age or older which I find a bit scary!!! I think I will get to do it but i do really want to try and work on my fitness. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?? I would be really interested in getting more info on any club that would have a junior camogie team in west dublin/kildare area.
    Great thread by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭betterman

that is balla the only team you are welcome on is the bottom of the intermediats ive played football and quite successfull but found it to be v bias and full of nepotisim. and as for football all inclusive.... look up the north... if you want an all inclusive sport than rugbys your man

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bigdirtyjames

Son wrote: »
    Don't know if this is the right place for this,delete or move if needs be.

I used to play hurling for over 10 years but that was going back a bit now,I have an injury to my hand so can't play competitively,just wondering does anyone puck a sliotar around in Dublin the odd evening as I still have an interest,im in dublin 22 but anywhere around south/west would do

Too bad you aren't in Belfast because I'd be up for that. Are you willing to travel? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Ohio1296

I'm 41 years age and still playing gaelic. Granted I am playing over in the US (I'm a Yank) and the level of play is obviously much lower than in Ireland. Still I love the game and really enjoy getting younger fellows hooked on the sport. In the winters I coach wrestling (the real stuff not the phony TV stuff) and that helps with keeping fit. As far as injuries I have found that with age staying fit and active is the best way to keep the aches and pains from gaining ground on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gufc909

Wudn mind getin back into playin football again, haven played in around 10 years in early twenties now. does any1 know of any galway based clubs dat wud be gud to get into for junior level and wud take on basically someone who hasn't played in years. Stil quite fit but woud be out of practice and mayb a bit light at the min (6ft 10.5-11stone )

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TacAide

Hi lads,

Love the tread, would love to get back into the GAA myself, loved football and hurling, at 24 thought that I was actually too old to go back glad to hear so many around my age have decided to go back after long such breaks away from the sport, I have a very good fitness level (do triathlons and karate now), played football and hurling up until I was 14/15, and am looking for a club in the Tipperary area go get back involved in if anyone has any info that would be great.

Thanks

TacAide wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Love the tread, would love to get back into the GAA myself, loved football and hurling, at 24 thought that I was actually too old to go back glad to hear so many around my age have decided to go back after long such breaks away from the sport, I have a very good fitness level (do triathlons and karate now), played football and hurling up until I was 14/15, and am looking for a club in the Tipperary area go get back involved in if anyone has any info that would be great.

Thanks

In Tipp, whichever parish you reside in should have a club, there's one in pretty much every parish. List of clubs here.

Hurling will be very competitive throughout the county, while football is only played strongly in some areas. Note though that especially the senior championship is bloated by too many teams (32 senior hurling clubs!?!)

Brian I would be looking for a football club basically to start back fresh with, where it wouldn't be too competitive, as I said earlier I've been out of practice for quiet a while, if you would know of any club like that, that would be great.

Thanks for the reply.

TacAide wrote: »
    Brian I would be looking for a football club basically to start back fresh with, where it wouldn't be too competitive, as I said earlier I've been out of practice for quiet a while, if you would know of any club like that, that would be great.

Thanks for the reply.

If you're in or around Tipp town, Arravale Rovers are mostly football at the moment, Lattin/Cullen have joined with Aherlow ("where dinosaurs still roam") to make a fairly serious team (both Senior grade). Rockwell Rovers out of New Inn are a good Intermediate side (we played them earlier this year).

Outside of the west clubs I'm not too au-fait with what's available, but most Tipp clubs play football in some shape or form, albeit often after the hurling is done.

If you're in or around Tipp town, Arravale Rovers are mostly football at the moment, Lattin/Cullen have joined with Aherlow ("where dinosaurs still roam") to make a fairly serious team (both Senior grade). Rockwell Rovers out of New Inn are a good Intermediate side (we played them earlier this year).

Outside of the west clubs I'm not too au-fait with what's available, but most Tipp clubs play football in some shape or form, albeit often after the hurling is done.

I'd be in the South of TIpp, but would travel if necessary, would love to get back involved in Gaelic Football, I wouldn't be able to get involved till the new year due to recent knee surgery.

Thanks very much for the information Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭El Viz

I never gave up playing cause I never actually started. I was more content watching, even back in my school days.

I'm actually a fit person and workout a lot, so I'm wondering if there is any hope for this 30 year old to finally start soloing with any amount of respect?

Dublin city centre area and will to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kilnamanagh

Just to add to what Brian said there are a good few clubs around the south that play the big ball game TacAide, here is a map of the clubs that might give you an idea of where to go: http://www.friendsoftipperaryfootball.com/clubs/

Any club would be delighted to get a fit, enthusiastic person involved and I've no doubt you'll be made most welcome.

Just to add to what Brian said there are a good few clubs around the south that play the big ball game TacAide, here is a map of the clubs that might give you an idea of where to go: http://www.friendsoftipperaryfootball.com/clubs/

Any club would be delighted to get a fit, enthusiastic person involved and I've no doubt you'll be made most welcome.

Thanks for the information Kilnamanagh, I might have found a club yet my physiotherapist, knows of a newly formed club thats looking for players, he didnt say the name of the club but hes going to look into it and get back to me.

In case his efforts dont work out, who would you recommend.

Thanks again Kilnamanagh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 kilnamanagh

I guess it depends on what you're looking for, the bigger football clubs like Moyle Rovers would have a few teams of varying ability, in fact Moyle Rovers have Senior, Intermediate and Junior B teams. On the other hand some of the smaller clubs would struggle more with numbers and would really love to have a new face around.

Honestly all I can say is that there is a great choice of football clubs in the South, from Ballyporeen right over to Mullinahone. If your physio can put you in contact with someone that would be fantastic. It really helps to know even just one person when you're joining a team.

El Viz, I wish I could be of more help to you but all I can say is that one of my friends from down the country is working in Dublin now and joined Raheny GAA club and he absolutely loves it. I was told it's very well organised and they were very open to welcoming in a new man as they have a wide range of junior teams in the Dublin football leagues.

I'd imagine that all the Dublin clubs would be similar so have a look around and see if any particular club takes your fancy. Here's a map that might be of use to you: http://maps.dublinbynumbers.com/sport-and-fitness-map-gaa-clubs.html

I gave up playing GAA at U16 and only went back two years ago with a different club. It was one of the best decisions I ever made, I can only wish ye the same good fortune. It becomes an addiction, enjoy it!

I guess it depends on what you're looking for, the bigger football clubs like Moyle Rovers would have a few teams of varying ability, in fact Moyle Rovers have Senior, Intermediate and Junior B teams. On the other hand some of the smaller clubs would struggle more with numbers and would really love to have a new face around.

Honestly all I can say is that there is a great choice of football clubs in the South, from Ballyporeen right over to Mullinahone. If your physio can put you in contact with someone that would be fantastic. It really helps to know even just one person when you're joining a team.

Ya my physio spoke to me about Moyle Rovers and Mullinahone and what a reputable clubs they and I know a few people on both teams too, it really does help to break the ice with other members of the team; it would be something to look into anyway if my physio comes back with no news for me.

Thanks for the info again Kilnamanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

Hey I'm just wondering how to go about getting gear to play hurling? I'm looking to go back playing but the only thing I have is a Hurley and sliothar. Would ye recommend buying a second hand helmet and other second hand equipment? I don't want to spend too much in-case I go back and decide this isn't for me. Also where would I get boots for big sized feet? I wear size 13 runner and all the boots in shops are only up to size 12.

how do you go about starting? do you just show up at training or should you ring and ask first?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

deadybai wrote: »
    Hey I'm just wondering how to go about getting gear to play hurling? I'm looking to go back playing but the only thing I have is a Hurley and sliothar. Would ye recommend buying a second hand helmet and other second hand equipment? I don't want to spend too much in-case I go back and decide this isn't for me. Also where would I get boots for big sized feet? I wear size 13 runner and all the boots in shops are only up to size 12.

http://bigshoes.ie/collections/sport It is an awful challenge, I take a 13 or 14 depending on the fit and these lads on Arran key were the best I could find. Even then the selection is incredibly limited. Occasionally I found a bargain in Arnotts that they had for a while and couldn't sell the bigger sizes, a pair of Puma Kings for 27e once! Must have been on the shelf a while but they were a perfect fit!

http://bigshoes.ie/collections/sport It is an awful challenge, I take a 13 or 14 depending on the fit and these lads on Arran key were the best I could find. Even then the selection is incredibly limited. Occasionally I found a bargain in Arnotts that they had for a while and couldn't sell the bigger sizes, a pair of Puma Kings for 27e once! Must have been on the shelf a while but they were a perfect fit!

Yeah it is really a pain. You would think by this stage shops would be selling big sized shoes. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

For large sizes online try Elverys or Amazon. I got boots from both in the past and they do have a fairly decent selection.

deadybai wrote: »
    how do you go about starting? do you just show up at training or should you ring and ask first?

Best bet would be to contact an official of the club before turning up, especially if you've never played with the club before. The website of the relevant county board should have contact info for at least each club secretary, if the club itself doesn't have any internet prescence. But as far as I know most clubs use the GAA's own email service, where the email would be secretary.<club>.<county>@gaa.ie, replacing the club name and county name as appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

St James Gaels GAA 2014
    St James Gaels 2014
    Club Name:St James Gaels

Location:Iveagh Grounds,Crumlin Rd,Dublin12.Areas recruit from:Walkinstown,Drimnagh,Crumlin,Dollphins Barn,Kimmage,Harold Cross,The Liberties,Kilmainham,Bluebell
    Code (football): Gaelic Football
    Level played:Junior A(Junior A Championship/Division 6 League),Junior B(Junior D Championship/Division 10 South League),Minor,U16,U14,U12,U10,U8
    Contact details:stjamesgaels.com or axelf82@hotmail.com
    Any other info: St James Gaels will commence pre season training for next season in January and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club.We have 2 progressing adult men football teams, a Junior A team and Junior B team. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre.http://www.stjamesgaels.com/contact 27,56a,77a,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123,150 buses go near the pitch as well.
    We have excellent floodlight training facilities,astro pitch training pitch and floodlite pitch.

Both Junior teams are looking to progress a step further next year,first team won Junior B championship last year and are looking to get promoted in league next year. The second team won cup this season and will also seeking to gain promotion next season.

We will be starting training in early January and train every Monday and Wednesday nights in Iveagh Grounds Crumlin Road at 7.30pm,we have a mix of players from all over the country Kerry, Laois,Cork,Mayo,Galway,Clare,Donegal ,Sligo,Down and even a couple of Austrailians.We also enjoy and organise many social events/fundraisers throughout the year(including end of season trip) so all welcome to play or even train.For more info please contact email: info@stjamesgaels.com

http://www.stjamesgaels.com/contact
    https://www.facebook.com/StJamesGaels
    http://www.stjamesgaels.com/home/club-shop

Junior A contact
    aaronirl@hotmail.com
    Junior B contact
    axelf82@hotmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

If you’re passionate about hurling…
    If the 2013 championship was one of the best things you’ve ever seen…
    If you want to be a part of a club that welcomes new members at every turn…
    If you want to be a part of a club that makes sure lads that love hurling get to play hurling…

Click below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87638581&postcount=337

www.realtdearg.ie
    realtdearg.hurlingclub@gmail.com

Advertisement