Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you are too old/fat/unfit/ *delete as appropriate* to play?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

St James Gaels 2014
    Club Name:St James Gaels[/B]
    Location:Iveagh Grounds,Crumlin Rd,Dublin12.Areas recruit from:Walkinstown,Drimnagh,Crumlin,Dollphins Barn,Kimmage,Harold Cross,The Liberties,Kilmainham,Bluebell
    Code (football): Gaelic Football
    Level played:Junior A(Junior A Championship/Division 6 League),Junior B(Junior D Championship/Division 10 South League),Minor,U16,U14,U12,U10,U8
    Contact details:stjamesgaels.com or axelf82@hotmail.com
    Any other info: St James Gaels will commence pre season training for next season in January and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club.We have 2 progressing adult men football teams, a Junior A team and Junior B team. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre.http://www.stjamesgaels.com/contact 27,56a,77a,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123,150 buses go near the pitch as well.
    We have excellent floodlight training facilities,astro pitch training pitch and floodlite pitch.

Both Junior teams are looking to progress a step further next year,first team won Junior B championship last year and are looking to get promoted in league next year. The second team won cup this season and will also seeking to gain promotion next season.

We will be starting training in early January and train every Monday and Wednesday nights in Iveagh Grounds Crumlin Road at 7.30pm,we have a mix of players from all over the country Kerry, Laois,Cork,Mayo,Galway,Clare,Donegal ,Sligo,Down and even a couple of Austrailians.We also enjoy and organise many social events/fundraisers throughout the year(including end of season trip) so all welcome to play or even train.For more info please contact email: info@stjamesgaels.com

http://www.stjamesgaels.com/contact
    https://www.facebook.com/StJamesGaels
    http://www.stjamesgaels.com/home/club-shop

Pre -Season will commence on 6th January

Junior A contact
    aaronirl@hotmail.com
    Junior B contact
    axelf82@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wanderers ballyboden

Wanderers GAA Club Ballyboben
    Location South Dublin
    Contact markthompson79@hotmail.com
    Code Football

We are a Football club based in South Dublin. We have 2 mens teams who are always looking for new players. We have a good mix of country lads and Dubs. We are starting training on Sunday the 5/1/2014 in our home ground
    Frank Kelly Park. We also have a top astro pitch rented for the preseason. If you are interested please contact me on the above email address or reply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Futurock

Hi Guys,

Recently I've been interested in taking up football in a local club.

I'm 16 and when I was younger I did not have an interest in sport what-so-ever (Didn't get started in it, Family wasn't in local Parish/team etc.) but about 2-3 years ago I started martial arts and that changed. I started watching more GAA, Rugby whatever. But lets scrap the sob story.

I guess the main reason I'm here is to ask what do GAA clubs think when you go to join, is it a joyful response or more of a "here comes a boy who hasn't touched a ball in his life"?

It also feels strange as when a lot of the people I know are leaving I'm thinking of joining.

I think it's just more intimidation than anything.

Although this forum had given me hope.

My real question is just what is the response?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Futurock wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Recently I've been interested in taking up football in a local club.

I'm 16 and when I was younger I did not have an interest in sport what-so-ever (Didn't get started in it, Family wasn't in local Parish/team etc.) but about 2-3 years ago I started martial arts and that changed. I started watching more GAA, Rugby whatever. But lets scrap the sob story.

I guess the main reason I'm here is to ask what do GAA clubs think when you go to join, is it a joyful response or more of a "here comes a boy who hasn't touched a ball in his life"?

It also feels strange as when a lot of the people I know are leaving I'm thinking of joining.

I think it's just more intimidation than anything.

Although this forum had given me hope.

My real question is just what is the response?

Generally at your age you play for the local parish club. Most counties are strict on who can play for which club at underage level, at adult its a bit less restrictive as long as you've never played in the county before. The website of your county should have a list of clubs, with their respective parishes. So I'd contact your local club, the secretary will be able to direct you to the team management, at 16 you'll be u-17 & minor grade, and maybe u-21 (you can't yet play for an adult team).

As regards never having played before, one of our better senior players never kicked a ball until the age of 14, being, like yourself, a martial arts man. If you train regularly in the martial arts, you're already fit enough, and with enough practise with the ball it'll come (hurling skills are a lot more involved than football). And for inspiration you can always look to John Hayes, the rugby international, who famously didn't start playing until he was 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Having never played / trained before i have an interest in maybe joining or at least training with my local team. At 31 im not that out of shape but not super fit either.
    I've played a small bit of rugby but it just wasn't for me, i had a bout of injury, main one was concussion which i couldn't risk again with work so wanted to give another team sport a try and have loved Gaelic football since i was a kid and even more so love watching and following the Dubs.

How physical could you expect a game, i know its rough and tumble some times on telly and from the club games i've watched but is it do able for someone my age who's never kicked a ball in his life?

Thoughts and esp from anyone in my situation or similar :)

Thanks

• Advertisement

BKWDR wrote: »
    How physical could you expect a game, i know its rough and tumble some times on telly and from the club games i've watched but is it do able for someone my age who's never kicked a ball in his life?

At Junior level (having no experience, at 31 I'm assuming that's what you're aiming for) you shouldn't need to be too fit to be able to compete (at my club we've a couple of late 40 year olds still able to play, due to them maintaining fitness). The game will probably be a bit more physical than at higher levels, but if you're of relatively good physique and not prone to injuries you should be ok.

I came back after ten years out at 31 too, and after the acclimitisation period of the first six months (that ten year period saw little to no exercise on my part) I was well able for Junior football, and if a fat slob like me can manage it anyone can.

Just an update, have a couple weeks training under the belt now and 100% glad i decided to turn up! A lot of the lads i went to school with are on the team, which helped but the intensity was something i wasn't used to. Although i would class * myself * as fit (run up to 10k and had done bootcamp classes all last year up 3x week) but playing football is a different kind of fit. I found myself gassed very quickly from the sprints but decided i will stick with it. Will work on the basics myself like moving with the ball / picking up the ball on my own time but the 1.5 hours sessions fly by and it's great craic and some work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

BKWDR wrote: »
    Just an update, have a couple weeks training under the belt now and 100% glad i decided to turn up! A lot of the lads i went to school with are on the team, which helped but the intensity was something i wasn't used to. Although i would class * myself * as fit (run up to 10k and had done bootcamp classes all last year up 3x week) but playing football is a different kind of fit. I found myself gassed very quickly from the sprints but decided i will stick with it. Will work on the basics myself like moving with the ball / picking up the ball on my own time but the 1.5 hours sessions fly by and it's great craic and some work out!

The absolute best thing you can do is train on your own in tandem with the club sessions. Get a gaelic ball (Soccer balls are much lighter so no good) so you can get used to the weight of it and through time and effort get your skills up with pickin it up (ALWAYS bend the back ;) ) and kicking accuracy.

Using the ball you can practice sprints with it and work on the solo as well. Couple of months hard work and you be flyin!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

Went back this year after 16 years away and it's been the best decision I ever made. Making basic skills improvements with each session but one thing I really struggle with is positioning and movement. The games tend to pass me by at times, I'm running but I know I'm not making the right runs if that makes sense.

Being played wing forward mainly, can anyone offer advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Watch more matches, of any standard, you'll often learn from watching junior games and seeing on the side line where the player SHOULD have run to instead and that can help you. And try get in as much game time as you can, friendlies, league, cup games are all match practice and you'll get the hang of it. I had the same problem a few years back when started with Realt Dearg, you need game time to get it back. Well done on going back after 16 years!

• Advertisement

DKmac wrote: »
    Went back this year after 16 years away and it's been the best decision I ever made. Making basic skills improvements with each session but one thing I really struggle with is positioning and movement. The games tend to pass me by at times, I'm running but I know I'm not making the right runs if that makes sense.

Being played wing forward mainly, can anyone offer advice?

Stay wide first of all, at wing forward you need to keep the field wide open if possible. Secondly you're there to support the midfield with their fielding, either by going up to break down ball for them and the centre forward, or by picking up broken ball, keep chatting with the players beside and in front of you so that ye all know what is happening for balls.

If you have regular training talk to the selectors and trainers about doing drills centred around the type of game they want the team playing if they're not doing that. It won't be at the same level as in matches, but you'll get the idea of where you're wanted and what kind of game you'll need to play. And training matches (either full field or backs and forwards) are invaluable for picking up the skills needed to read a game. In these try to play in as many positions as possible, sometimes playing out of position will give you insights into what you could do when playing in your preferred position, and you may even find you're a better player elsewhere on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

Is there a guide online on tips on how to play each position? Particularly wing back and wing foward ? Just gone back recently enough and seem to put in these positions the most. But I'd love to see a complete guide for each position.

Or does anyone have any advice themselves ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I bought "Hurling. The Warrior Game" by Diarmuid O Flynn a few months back in an airport bookshop to get me thru a long haul flight. Actually turned out interesting enough. He interviews several well known players for every position on the pitch. They give tips on how to play the position, tricks and other insights. Might be worth purchasing for what you're asking.

Lovely thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I took up football a few years ago after never having played in my life. I was 30 when I had my first start. Taking up the sport was one of the best decisions I made in my life.

To everyone thinking of taking up the sport for the first time, just accept that you'll be useless in the beginning. You'll also probably strain your quads, hamstrings, ankles and you might get clattered in the ribs. None of these things are too serious but they might stop you training which

If you train and get through a few months of regular training, you'll be fit and strong and that alone is enough to be of use on the pitch. I didn't solo a ball even once in my first season as a corner-back - all I had to do was mark the forward and get to any loose balls before he did and then lay the ball off to a runner. If you can outpace, outrun and out-muscle your opponent, all you need to do after that is be able to catch and kick a ball.

I'm in my third season now and I'm still fairly shíte but I'm in the best physical shape that I've ever been in. Sure, I'm always bruised and there's always some part of my body in a bit of pain, but that's to be expected.

The craic with the lads is also great - I think that the bond between team-mates is one of the strongest things in the world. I'd imagine that it's like that in most clubs. You meet friends that you'll have for life

tl;dr

If you're thinking about starting to play, just go and do it. You won't be disappointed.

Also, if it's OK to pimp my club here, Na Gaeil Óga are always looking for players. All levels welcome (We have a football team in div 8 and in 10 and we also have a hurling team and a women's football team). Training is through Irish and we're based in Dublin. We train on Tuesdays and Thursday's in the Phoenix Park near the Magazine Fort at 7:15 and on Sunday morning at 11. If anyone needs any more details, feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

Living in South Dublin (Dundrum/Sandyford) - would be interested in playing Junior Football if there are any teams in the locality looking for players. Played Intermediate for years in Sligo, winning the championship in 2004. 31 now, but interested in training as still playing for club at home from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Living in South Dublin (Dundrum/Sandyford) - would be interested in playing Junior GAA if there are any teams in the locality looking for players. Played Intermediate for years in Sligo, winning the championship in 2004. 31 now, but interested in training as still playing for club at home from time to time.

Hurling or football?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

Peace wrote: »
    Hurling or football?

Football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Also, if it's OK to pimp my club here, Na Gaeil Óga are always looking for players. All levels welcome (We have a football team in div 8 and in 10 and we also have a hurling team and a women's football team). Training is through Irish and we're based in Dublin. We train on Tuesdays and Thursday's in the Phoenix Park near the Magazine Fort at 7:15 and on Sunday morning at 11. If anyone needs any more details, feel free to PM me.

Are you an Irish language club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 jalock20

Hi guys,

Think I might have to transfer to a club in Dublin due to work commitments. Just wondering as to what would be the best way to get the ball rolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

jalock20 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Think I might have to transfer to a club in Dublin due to work commitments. Just wondering as to what would be the best way to get the ball rolling?

There are clubs all over Dublin of different sizes and different levels. If i were you i'd pick a small club at a similar level that you are used to and drop down for a few training sessions. This will give you the chance to see the setup, guage the level and friendliness of the club.

The transfer process is easy. The club secretary in your new club will get you sorted.

Do you know what part of the city you are moving to?

jalock20 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm not too sure if there is a deadline for inter-county transfers, there is for ones within a county, but if you've played championship with your current club you won't be able to play championship with your new one.

Your best bet is to talk to the secretary of your club about it. He/she will know the relevant regulations, and will in all probability have had to arrange a few transfers over the last number of years so will know what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jalock20

Peace wrote: »
    There are clubs all over Dublin of different sizes and different levels. If i were you i'd pick a small club at a similar level that you are used to and drop down for a few training sessions. This will give you the chance to see the setup, guage the level and friendliness of the club.

The transfer process is easy. The club secretary in your new club will get you sorted.

Do you know what part of the city you are moving to?

Moving to Clontarf so already have a club in mind I would join. The best way so is probably to just get in touch with that club and take it from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Are you an Irish language club?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

anyone know of a radio station with the minor hurling match on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Just lurking on thread and decided to post.

Started back playing football last year at 30, last played in school, played half forward and corner forward in the championship last year and total score tally was 1 point.

This year played corner forward and with all the training scored a goal in every game we played in the championship and we won the final. It may have been Junior C but we smashed what was considered the strongest team in the championship. Thoroughly enjoyed playing this year, still not the best but know my job a but better and I've been fortunate enough to have a few goals too!

To anyone taking back up the sport, go for it, a lot of small clubs are struggling with players moving abroad and while you may never be the best, they'll appreciate you coming out and keeping the club going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wanderers ballyboden

Hi All

Ballyboden Wanderers GAA are running a Men's 7 aside on Saturday 13/9/2014. We are looking for players to play in this who are looking to get back into football or are looking to play in Dublin. This will be a great chance for you to come up and see what we can offer and also if you would like to take up the 15 a side game with us. You can PM me and I will get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Double G Brew

Hi Guys,

Looking to get into playing Gaelic Football, haven't played with a team since I was in school. Looking for something on the Northside of the city preferably around Beaumont. Standard wouldn't be great but would like to get involved. Does anyone know of any teams looking for players or does anyone have any advice on how to get started with a team, im not originally from Dublin so don't know anyone already involved.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Looking to get into playing Gaelic Football, haven't played with a team since I was in school. Looking for something on the Northside of the city preferably around Beaumont. Standard wouldn't be great but would like to get involved. Does anyone know of any teams looking for players or does anyone have any advice on how to get started with a team, im not originally from Dublin so don't know anyone already involved.

Thanks

Two clubs i can think of the top of my head,

Whitehall Colmcille http://www.whitehallcolmcille.ie/

St Vincents http://www.stvincentsgaa.ie/

Both have large clubs with great facilities.

I think all clubs are happy to accept anyone so just contact them through site and ask when they train and turn up. I wouldn't worry about standard etc.
    I turned up having never kicked a ball in my life earlier in this year and am enjoying the training and got my first run out there last Thursday. Stick with it , the hardest bit is turning up the first night.

G'luck

Advertisement