Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home sale in Belmont, Stepaside, Dublin 18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 myhome123

MayBea wrote: »
    Ours are engineered wood, glued to the floor. Btw, our floors were not very straight and we had to level them before getting them glued. Also, glue on it's own cost around 10€ per m2.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll add this on my snag list :)

I'd say it's the fact that floors need to be glued, whereas normally laying them over the floor with underlay allows a bit of leeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 myhome123

Do you mean the concrete was not level ? How did you fix this ?
    Usually fixed using levelling compound. It's a watery textured plaster that is thrown down that spreads and levels out. Not uncommon and not a major problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

Do you mean the concrete was not level ? How did you fix this ?

It was fixed by a floor laying contractor. It was easy enough (we had to pay for it though).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mossy82

Hi all, just wondering does anyone know when they will open up the path at the top of the green onto the Old Kilgobbin Road? ... It seems more or less ready to go, just need to remove the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Dearg81

mossy82 wrote:
    Hi all, just wondering does anyone know when they will open up the path at the top of the green onto the Old Kilgobbin Road? ... It seems more or less ready to go, just need to remove the fence.

I'd say your best bet is to ask the lads working in on the park.

I walk by them most mornings so I'll ask one of them tomorrow if they're around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 darkotempo

hi all,

currently completing snagging in Hyde Road and looking forward to move in!
    just wanted to ask - has anyone experience with the snagging process they would like to share? i.e. what kind of snags did you find and needed to fix?

my first snag revealed a few but nothing major - a few loose fence panels, sinks not sealed to the walls, a big water stain on the ceiling cause someone dropped a bucket of water, missing screws in the window handles etc.

just trying to cover as much as possible before moving in! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jeffrey Lebowski

darkotempo wrote: »
    hi all,

currently completing snagging in Hyde Road and looking forward to move in!
    just wanted to ask - has anyone experience with the snagging process they would like to share? i.e. what kind of snags did you find and needed to fix?

my first snag revealed a few but nothing major - a few loose fence panels, sinks not sealed to the walls, a big water stain on the ceiling cause someone dropped a bucket of water, missing screws in the window handles etc.

just trying to cover as much as possible before moving in! :)

My surveyor said it was one of the worst finishes he had ever seen. It was very bad. The list was endless, we snagged it 4 times. The paintwork was particularly bad, you could see through the paint. And nothing seemed to be sealed. Scratches everywhere and render was in bad shape.

Make sure the stone architrave around the front door is filled properly.

Lastly, be sure to get a pro to do the snag. Believe me its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Dearg81

a big water stain on the ceiling cause someone dropped a bucket of water

I'd be worried about that one as there's been a lot of leaks in the houses.

Was the "dropped bucket" their side of the story ? Sounds like a bs excuse to me if it was, I'd be double checking for leaks everywhere if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 darkotempo

yep we did a get a professional snagger in, he found quite a bit actually. mostly about finishes too, but also stuff that would seem really obvious - e.g. the fridge door was put in the wrong way round - upside down. the opening of the shelves were looking down instead of up.

anyways the finishes seem mostly done now. still a few bits outside the house though to be done - but again minor stuff.

my snagger also told me that the water pump in the 2nd floor hot press needs better insulation so the vibrations from it are not transferred to the floor - any experience with that?

yep the dropped bucket story was their side. will be keeping an extra eye out for leaks so. we are on the third snag now, but who is counting...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bells12

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner in the area. If so, can you PM with the details would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 deltas

I would also appreciate the detail of a good cleaner

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

I'll jump in and ask for a cleaner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LF88

yep we did a get a professional snagger in, he found quite a bit actually. mostly about finishes too, but also stuff that would seem really obvious - e.g. the fridge door was put in the wrong way round - upside down. the opening of the shelves were looking down instead of up.

anyways the finishes seem mostly done now. still a few bits outside the house though to be done - but again minor stuff.

my snagger also told me that the water pump in the 2nd floor hot press needs better insulation so the vibrations from it are not transferred to the floor - any experience with that?

yep the dropped bucket story was their side. will be keeping an extra eye out for leaks so. we are on the third snag now, but who is counting...;)

Have just been given the go ahead to snag on Hyde Road. If anyone could recommend a good snagger via PM I'd really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 gareth_c

I'll jump in and ask for a cleaner too.

+1, if anyone has one that comes to Belmont and can share details.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tex12

gareth_c wrote: »
    +1, if anyone has one that comes to Belmont and can share details.

I'd be interested in a cleaner in the area as well. If you has any luck, can you PM with the details would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 trveller72

buyer2017 wrote: »
    Yes I believe all house in phase 1 (all area to left of parkland) is locked to the sky Conway. Phase 2 (all to right of parkland) come with virgin connection boxes installed in rooms as standard . The Sky Conway don’t have great reputations if you read back to start of thread
    qrx wrote: »
    I have personal experience with them. The "Con" in their name is appropriate. Shower of utter cowboys.

Our house is in Phase 1.
    Have Conway for 4 years now. I was skeptical at the beginning (they are kind of 'cowboys'), but now I would recommend them without hesitation.
    Broadband - After some initial issues with the fibre cable to our house, no complains about the speed and quality - 80mbps constantly. No sites blocked (you know what I am referring to), very nice customer service.
    TV - OK, but since we have Netflix, nobody is watching the tely to much.
    Price - €40 (broadband + TV)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nizhihui1983

I am looking for a childminder for my 1 year's boy. It's better if you have kids at home and don't mind to get another. I have asked around 20 creches around our estate, but all fully booked. Does anybody know?

Thanks in advance.

Got home yesterday to find a big crack in a window. I contacted Munster Joinery and they are saying that the warranty doesn't cover. The window is clearly defective.

Anybody else have any issues like this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 gareth_c

Got home yesterday to find a big crack in a window. I contacted Munster Joinery and they are saying that the warranty doesn't cover. The window is clearly defective.

Anybody else have any issues like this ?

Not much help, we had a damaged window pane from the builders installation which they would not cover would cover warranty on the frame but not the glass so we ended up buying a new one and they fitted it for free.

gareth_c wrote: »
    Not much help, we had a damaged window pane from the builders installation which they would not cover would cover warranty on the frame but not the glass so we ended up buying a new one and they fitted it for free.

Thanks for the reply. Didn't get anywhere with Munster Joinery but didnt push it too hard as technically the supplier was SDR group, so I contacted them instead and its sorted now.

Window was definitely defective, you would be hard pushed to break a uPVC window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 mossy82

So, you know the field in the middle of Belmont, well I was just wondering about the fence in the middle of the field (the one on the hill) - is that easily moveable? ... Like could it be opened up for sliding down the hill on a sleigh if the snow arrives.
     Just asking for my kids (I swear) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sunshine dreaming

Hi, just wondering if anyone could recommend a cleaner in the area around Belmont please? Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JosieMcH

Has anyone had issues with roof leaks in Jay A houses in Belmont? We have marks in our living room ceiling. We previously had a leak from the tank in hot press to bathroom on second floor but that was fixed by the plumber and no issues since. But worrying we now have a leak from the roof into our living room!

Hi, I have noticed a stain on my bathroom ceiling, thought it might have been a leak. I investigated in the attic and couldn't find any. The stain on the ceiling was directly under the Heat recovery unit. I think it was caused by a build up of condensation of the unit or its pipes during the recent cold snap/snow as i only noticed the ceiling stain after the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

Hi, our house is on Belmont Drive, left side of the park. I would like to ask you guys for help. Is there is anyway, we could push other broadband providers in area. I'm sick of slow conway 100 Mb broadband. It's 2018 and not 2010. I want proper broadband 360 Mb or more.
    Who is in charge of this? I don't like the fact that conway is our only choice after 3 years of living here. There must be some legal way how to change this. But I have no idea who to talk to. I tried all the providers already but they can't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Martynet wrote: »
    Hi, our house is on Belmont Drive, left side of the park. I would like to ask you guys for help. Is there is anyway, we could push other broadband providers in area. I'm sick of slow conway 100 Mb broadband. It's 2018 and not 2010. I want proper broadband 360 Mb or more.
    Who is in charge of this? I don't like the fact that conway is our only choice after 3 years of living here. There must be some legal way how to change this. But I have no idea who to talk to. I tried all the providers already but they can't do anything.

100Mbit broadband - if you're actually getting 100Mbit and have all the right cabling in the house and aren't relying on wifi is enough for all but the heaviest of downloaders, and I'm talking terabytes a day here.

Virgin Media and SIRO are the only options for 100Mbit+ but you'd have to be doing something pretty odd to need more than 100Mbit or so. Incidentally average developed world broadband speeds would be lowish double digits.

Hi, just wondering if anyone could recommend a cleaner in the area around Belmont please? Many thanks

Tried Helping.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

100Mbit broadband - if you're actually getting 100Mbit and have all the right cabling in the house and aren't relying on wifi is enough for all but the heaviest of downloaders, and I'm talking terabytes a day here.

Virgin Media and SIRO are the only options for 100Mbit+ but you'd have to be doing something pretty odd to need more than 100Mbit or so. Incidentally average developed world broadband speeds would be lowish double digits.

I have cable connection in every room and using wifi for mobile devices only. When. I measure the speed it's between 70-80 Mbps, which is around 8 Mbps real download speed. I'm sorry but in 2018, that's not enough for the house in capital city. I would like around 20 Mbps download speed. I work over VPN very often and when there is tablets streaming netflix or prime at the same time, it's just too slow. The main problem is that we don't have the choice of either Vodafone, Virgin, sky...etc.

Martynet wrote: »
    I have cable connection in every room and using wifi for mobile devices only. When. I measure the speed it's between 70-80 Mbps, which is around 8 Mbps real download speed. I'm sorry but in 2018, that's not enough for the house in capital city. I would like around 20 Mbps download speed. I work over VPN very often and when there is tablets streaming netflix or prime at the same time, it's just too slow. The main problem is that we don't have the choice of either Vodafone, Virgin, sky...etc.

In a capital city maybe. In the outer fringes of the suburbs you're stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea being in neither catchment area and sometimes limited to one provider. That said only virgin and siro are faster than the VDSL network which is 100mbit Max. You may want to look at your network kit. A tablet or two streaming low bitrate video shouldn't be impacting you that much.

Other issues are is it actually throughput or is there some sort of latency issue. I share a 500mbit dedicated line with nigh on 500 people connected to servers in the UK. It's perfectly workable. Obviously depends on what you do but download speeds aren't really an issue if everything is server-side.

• Advertisement

Hi,
    we are thinking of getting some paving done in the back garden and wondering if anyone had got some done or could recommend someone,
    thanking you
    shaun

Advertisement