Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we protest against the pope's visit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The best protest for this is to ignore it, completely ignore the whole visit. Don’t watch it on TV, go to the pub, go shopping, do your normal life.

The Church is fading all on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

work wrote: »
    I take your point and in fairness the church in time will become less significant. I feel strongly about changing the status quo after having children because the way many people accept and promote this is warped.
    I chatted to many sets of parents that let their kids make their communion. Plenty do not in believe in religeon but they don't want their child to miss out or be the odd one out. Personally I find such promotion of a lie to a child really wrong.
    I do not have any reasonable alternative schooling other than religious for my kids which taxes pay for to further promote religeon.
    Finally I am surprised people generally do not see a reason to protest to change this but no harm asking the question and if there is no appetite to change I will of course accept this.

You are entitled to your thoughts and views and to living them in your life.

But so are others and if you act out against? Then are you not like them?

Also if you act out, demo etc then you will attract opposition. Been there, done that believe me and it has made me very careful

And differentiate between faith and the abuses therein?

Just stay away from the visit? That is protest enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I agree with the notion of protests.
    They owe over a billion in compensation for horrific crimes against children here.
    They have excessive and negative influence on the government of this country.
    It is outrageous that it is difficult and usually expensive to provide an education free of their indoctrination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I think i'll go golfing that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Thinking about the idea in real terms, I would have concerns for the physical safety of protestors, lest they be attacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Thinking about the idea in real terms, I would have concerns for the physical safety of protestors, lest they be attacked.

That's a little ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm not entirely convicned you're being sincere here, but in the event you are, - yeah, let's protest against freedom of expression and freedom of religion. That'll show the rest of the world how modern and toletant we are...

I know this is half in jest and half legitimate comment... but we as a country/society actually do have a issue with needing to be validated/approved of by the rest of the world.

It's why so many have been sucked in by the more extreme liberal nonsense from America on the likes of Twitter and Facebook and why it's starting to seep into everyday society now.

On the OP.. I agree with his sentiment to be fair, and while I wouldn't be protesting myself, surely a tolerant society is better showing the world how it can maturely deal with dissenting views as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think the fact that the Pope's visit will be ignored by many, or not cared about by many, is indicative enough for me. Our society is slowly but surely rejecting the previously dominant Catholic doctrine. I'm happy out to let him come visit. I know it will matter to people like my mother. Myself, I'll be busy with the usual stuff that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

dudara wrote: »
    I think the fact that the Pope's visit will be ignored by many, or not cared about by many, is indicative enough for me. Our society is slowly but surely rejecting the previously dominant Catholic doctrine. I'm happy out to let him come visit. I know it will matter to people like my mother. Myself, I'll be busy with the usual stuff that day.

id say we ll be surprised at how supportive his visit will be, and we ve only moved the goal posts in regards indoctrination

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

Maybe while he’s here he can go and consecrate that septic tank in Tuam. I’m sure those babies would go to heaven if the pope put in a good word for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you feel a protest is necessary, then I don't see why not. Knock yourself out.

Certainly the Vatican has a lot to be ashamed of, a lot of questions to answer and caused a lot of misery for a lot of people. So one can't say that a protest is unwarranted.

I'd have no problem with it. If I'm going to stay in Dublin that weekend, I'll likely stay at home and avoid the inevitable traffic chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Not that we should block him , I mean that shows intolerance - but my problem is the amount of tax payers money that will be wasted on this, why can't the bloody Vatican with their billions pay for it ?

Could sell some of the golden taps they have in the Pope's palacial suite to foot the bill too ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

seamus wrote: »
    If you feel a protest is necessary, then I don't see why not. Knock yourself out.

I don't think he is visiting Mayo this time....they're cursed don't you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

I believe a huge protest against the popes visit is required to show the government and church they are no longer welcome or wanted in our society. What do you think? There are many stakeholders that should protest their removal from any influence in our society. Some that come to mind are:
    1) Anyone not supportive of misogyny
    2) Anyone that doesn't believe in school indoctrination of children in a massive lie.
    3) Anyone concerned about abusers in positions allowing abuse
    4) Anyone with the most basic scientific education.
    5) Anyone that doesn't support cults
    6) Anyone that believes LGBT people should be treated fairly in society.
    7) Anyone that believes women should have ANY control of their bodies.
    8) Anyone that is not seen as equal in the church namely women children and men.

There are many other areas but I realised I have covered everyone. As such let's all go to the Phoenix park to let the Vatican know they are not welcome.
    Are there any peaceful groups planning to protest?

Is that you Mr Nugent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Is that you Mr Nugent ?

It's not Mick. He may be mental but he's not stupid.

Not that we should block him , I mean that shows intolerance - but my problem is the amount of tax payers money that will be wasted on this, why can't the bloody Vatican with their billions pay for it ?

Could sell some of the golden taps they have in the Pope's palacial suite to foot the bill too ...

Actually the Church is paying for the visit.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/pope-s-visit-to-dublin-to-cost-20-million-archbishop-1.3331189

google it and see?

And also of course the Gardia and others will be well prepared for protests and wil deal with them. swiftly and efficiently

Graces7 wrote: »

The church said they would pay compensation for those they abused, yet they still have to put their hands in their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

I'm pretty surprised at the comments here. Out of everything in Ireland, the Catholic Church deserves the biggest backlash.

A protest isn't about other people's right to follow whatever religion they like. It's about the affect of a religion on the millions in Ireland who aren't religious, and it's about the organisation's disgusting history here.

5gq.gif

But ..........millions ...?

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8rnraa/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It’s worthwhile trying a protest. It will show the lack of support for militant atheism ( as opposed to lacklustre atheism like myself).

The actual victims of child abuse in the church though should have a designated place to protest within view of the Pope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

for those who didnt learn how to click links,
    Catholics = 3.7million
    No Religion = 0.46 million
    COI/ Muslim/ Orthodox = 0.24 million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

for those who didnt learn how to click links,
    Catholics = 3.7million
    No Religion = 0.46 million
    COI/ Muslim/ Orthodox = 0.24 million

Someone is going to say that the catholics are mostly cultural part time catholics. Which is true but irrelevant when you are talking about protesting the pope.

stimpson wrote: »
    The church said they would pay compensation for those they abused, yet they still have to put their hands in their pockets.

I’m sure they will when they’ve finished selling off all their schools playing fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I believe a huge protest against the popes visit is required to show the government and church they are no longer welcome or wanted in our society. What do you think? There are many stakeholders that should protest their removal from any influence in our society. Some that come to mind are:
    1) Anyone not supportive of misogyny
    2) Anyone that doesn't believe in school indoctrination of children in a massive lie.
    3) Anyone concerned about abusers in positions allowing abuse
    4) Anyone with the most basic scientific education.
    5) Anyone that doesn't support cults
    6) Anyone that believes LGBT people should be treated fairly in society.
    7) Anyone that believes women should have ANY control of their bodies.
    8) Anyone that is not seen as equal in the church namely women children and men.

There are many other areas but I realised I have covered everyone. As such let's all go to the Phoenix park to let the Vatican know they are not welcome.
    Are there any peaceful groups planning to protest?

FFS...Go and get a job or a hobby or something more worthwhile than dreaming up what you can protest about. :rolleyes:

Aegir wrote: »
    I’m sure they will when they’ve finished selling off all their schools playing fields.

Gotta do something to make a few shekels now they can’t sell babies to rich yanks anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I don't understand this notion that we (Irish society) is under the thumb of the church. If we were, would we have SSM. use contraceptives of all kinds, live together before marriage etc etc etc and also the abortion ref will likely be passed. For a brainwashed country we seem to be able to think for ourselves, no ?
    I originally come from a rural area and the church is the meeting point for the community, it's where people find out everything either from the alter notices or outside afterwards. For some people it might be their only way to meet others every week. Not to mention peoples faith gets them through many a dark day. I think some people who seek to destroy the Church haven't a clue the benefit it brings to peoples lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

stimpson wrote: »

They will never have any intention paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ah relax. Church has close to no power here now. Im 'lgbt' and couldnt give less of a toss, Ill probably even visit just out of interest to see what he says

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Tolerant of what exactly.....I never said anyone shouldn't be allowed support whatever made up group they like but the issue is a proven poisonous group having such control and freedom to brainwash our next generation.....this needs to change

That's not what you're trying to ban though. Or are you saying the entire organisation should be banned because of you're perspective?
    I'm pretty surprised at the comments here. Out of everything in Ireland, the Catholic Church deserves the biggest backlash.

A protest isn't about other people's right to follow whatever religion they like. It's about the affect of a religion on the millions in Ireland who aren't religious, and it's about the organisation's disgusting history here.

Again, not what's being protested against. I don't remember any protest against this. Perhaps you should organise one?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I don't understand this notion that we (Irish society) is under the thumb of the church. If we were, would we have SSM. use contraceptives of all kinds, live together before marriage etc etc etc and also the abortion ref will likely be passed. For a brainwashed country we seem to be able to think for ourselves, no ?
    I originally come from a rural area and the church is the meeting point for the community, it's where people find out everything either from the alter notices or outside afterwards. For some people it might be their only way to meet others every week. Not to mention peoples faith gets them through many a dark day. I think some people who seek to destroy the Church haven't a clue the benefit it brings to peoples lives.

Yes I know that and if you can sidestep the abuse,ok. Many cannot.

Faith and religion are two separate things. I am separate from the church but my faith is deep and true and strong

For me church would be the utmost in hypocrisy.

And please; the church is destroying itself. Needs no one to do it to them .

Advertisement