Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

• 08-01-2018 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

BK MOD:Please see the following post for The high horse brigade's latest backup image for the Tiviar:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106783394

====================================================

This STB combo has been mentioned a couple of times in threads so I thought to post some links for those interested.

2 x DVB-S/2 tuners
    1 x DVB-T/2 tuner

It has quite a few features such as multiple USB ports; e-sata port; internal rack for 2.5" HDD as well as a couple of CI slots.

OS is Linux based I think.

It has settings for Disec and is also Unicable capable.
    Supports Hbb-TV. It has Picture-in-Picture also.

It seems well priced now for a box with such features. It was quite costly some time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=YYsO8ruoI8o

Review here http://linux-tv.com/receiver/tiviar-alpha-plus/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

OS is Linux based I think...

WoS offer it with a choice of openVix or openAtv however that review says it is NOT enigma 2 based. Strange!

EDIT:
    Just checked and there is an openATV download for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

WoS offer it with a choice of openVix or openAtv however that review says it is NOT enigma 2 based. Strange!

EDIT:

Probably due to developments since it was first released some years ago.

From that review ...
    Release Year: 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

EDIT:

Oh there is alright. OpenATV hacked the bootloader mid 2017 and grabbed Ax drivers, just like they did with other Fortis models and the F1 you have....

These boxes had a Fortis OS on them originally, but they are BCM Chips with large spec (especially for 2013).

As long as they keep supporting them......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Got this box yesterdy to replace an Amiko Alien 2 and man I'm well impressed. The box is lightning fast. I opted for 500GB internal sata and OpenATV. I've it setup pretty much the same as the AA2 with autobouquets for a selection of FTA bouquets and also a Soarview bouquet and favorites. I've added some nice picons. I'm using the PLI-HD skin, the AA2 sometimes struggled with the transparencies of this skin but this box has no bother.

Got this box yesterdy to replace an Amiko Alien 2 and man I'm well impressed. The box is lightning fast. I opted for 500GB internal sata and OpenATV. I've it setup pretty much the same as the AA2 with autobouquets for a selection of FTA bouquets and also a Soarview bouquet and favorites. I've added some nice picons. I'm using the PLI-HD skin, the AA2 sometimes struggled with the transparencies of this skin but this box has no bother.

Nice one. Now that you have it more or less as you want, make a backup of your settings by pressing the BLUE button and SOFTWARE MANAGER. It only takes a few seconds and can save a lot of tears later ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kierc

Anyone know images that will work with this device?

IF i try a image for the Formuler 1 and its not correct, it wont brick my device will it?

You MUST use an image intended for each specific make and model as the hardware is different inside. It would be like putting diesel in a petrol car. There are a very few exceptions where one box is a clone of another or simply re-badged for different markets. Not knowing what's inside a Tiviar, I wouldn't risk anything other than an image specifically for it.

I have now changed to the Metrix Lite skin (with a few tweaks) as it really highlights the MK picons in all their glory. Stunning don't you think?
    @kierc do you want me to upload the backup of my image? It's the latest nightly of OpenAtv 6.1 that came flashed on the box from world of satellite

447653.png

447654.png

447655.png

Stunning!.Wow

• Advertisement

Here is a link to my complete backup https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dy5msHel6CS9zXCAU_U21ZX_9mvfxZ8A
    Guide http://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/Guides%20and%20Tutorials/Flashing%20Guides/Tiviar%20USB%20Flashing%20Guides/How%20to%20flash%20a%20Tiviar%20Alpha+.pdf

And here is a link to the picons pack, you need to use Filezilla to put the picon folder on your hard drive /media/hdd/picon https://drive.google.com/open?id=1epgDfivdpeh3JjGjbWdT0JRkAIkKtN9i

When done you'll need to edit your own weather location id in the mymetrix lite plugin, you can find your own location id here http://weather.mynonpublic.com/locationid.html
    You'll also need to scan the terrestrial tuner if you're not receiving signal from Cairns Hill

note: I forgot that I've a password on my box, to change it use putty to ssh into the box and use the command "passwd root" it will prompt you for a new pass. I'll pm you the pass while I'm doing a new backup
    post updated username: root, password: tempass

Also note: My OpenWebif is set to port 8585, you should change this back to port 80 in the openwebif plugin, I changed it to suit a firewall rule I already had

That putty to ssh comment has gone 2 miles over my head. Whats the layman's way to remove the password lol

kierc wrote: »
    That putty to ssh comment isgoen 2 miles over my head. Whats the layman's way to revmoe the password lol

I'm doing a new backup with a generic password, I will update the post with a new link when i'm done. I'll post when it's complate

Post updated, refresh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Off topic ...... but would it be possible for someone to share an E2 bouquet file to me?
    I use tvheadend backend which tells me it is possible to import an Enigma2 (.tv) file, so I would like to see if or how well it work.

I am really trying to find if there is a way to generate my own bouquet file from within tvheadend but this might be a good first step.
    I asked for some guidance here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057860177

Thanks, and sorry for the off topic post ;)

Thank you very much indeed

Thank you very much indeed

How'd you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Hi there,

Just reading your comment, you mention Saorview. Does this mean you are able to get Saorview through this box, without the need for a separate saorview box, or saorview enabled TV? Can you series record from both UK and Irish chanells on this box?
    Also can you access RTE player, 3 player, bbc player, utv player etc... ?/

Thanks
    JB81

All good "The high horse brigade", just trying to figure how to edit the boquets, as for some reason i cant seem to use Webif. Also trying to sort EPG data for my IPTV

All good "The high horse brigade", just trying to figure how to edit the boquets, as for some reason i cant seem to use Webif. Also trying to sort EPG data for my IPTV

I posted that already, webif is set to port 8585, you can change it to 80 in the openwebif plugin or else use ipofbox:8585

• Advertisement

JB81 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just reading your comment, you mention Saorview. Does this mean you are able to get Saorview through this box, without the need for a separate saorview box, or saorview enabled TV? Can you series record from both UK and Irish chanells on this box?
    Also can you access RTE player, 3 player, bbc player, utv player etc... ?/

Thanks
    JB81

It has a terrestrial tuner so you can receive Irish terrestrial channels. You can series link to record any channel using the autotimer plugin. There are plugins available for all the players but they break so often I don't bother with them instead use apps on my Nvidia shield

Ok, im getting there. What do i change the port to?. Sorry if its a silly question

Ok, im getting there. What do i change the port to?. Sorry if its a silly question

80 is the standard port means you'll just need the IP to get into the box

Sorted.More knowledge for myself lol. Last thing before i bore you completely, how do i get epg data for IPTV service?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

It has a terrestrial tuner so you can receive Irish terrestrial channels. You can series link to record any channel using the autotimer plugin. There are plugins available for all the players but they break so often I don't bother with them instead use apps on my Nvidia shield

Hi

Sorry for all the questions, but could you explain this to me? Is the Nvidia another box?
    I would rather not have multiple boxes.
    Does the Tiviar not work with the players and you need more equipment?

Regards
    JB

Note, I have used the autobouquets plugin to create these FTA bouquets. I think it could be set to a monthly schedule. You better check as it will rescan and recreate these bouquets again in a month undoing your bouquets rearrangements

Sorted.More knowledge for myself lol. Last thing before i bore you completely, how do i get epg data for IPTV service?

I'm sorry, I do not know this as I use my shield for IPTV

JB81 wrote: »
    Hi

Sorry for all the questions, but could you explain this to me? Is the Nvidia another box?
    I would rather not have multiple boxes.
    Does the Tiviar not work with the players and you need more equipment?

Regards
    JB

Yes the Nvidia Shield is another box that runs Android TV. There are several threads on here about it

The Tiviar runs an open source software called Enigma 2. The community develop RTE/BBC player plugins for these boxes. These are not official RTE/BBC plugins so get broken regularly. For this reason I use Android apps on my Shield running Android TV

99% sortd now and its bloody fab. You know the HD channels that don't work in the entertainment boquet eg Gold etc, is it autoboquet maker can change them to sd/remove etc

• Advertisement

99% sortd now and its bloody fab. You know the HD channels that don't work in the entertainment boquet eg Gold etc, is it autoboquet maker can change them to sd/remove etc

Open the autobouquets plugin, press menu and change numbering system to SD, green to save, then green to run it. It will change them

Advertisement