Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 223 | IAQUINTA VS KHABIB | SAT. APR. 7, 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The bears takedown defence is unbelievable. Does it have it's teeth and claws removed?

At first I thought it was a cool clip, but tbh the more I see and hear about it the more it just seems like pointless animal cruelty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Joanna - Submission
    Dana just said at the presser there holloway or khabib will be champion by the end of sat night and also quote "Conor’s coming back this year, 100 percent,” . “He will fight this year. We’ll see how this thing plays out and we’ll go from there.”

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Where did Holloway fly 18 hours from / to. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Rose - Submission
    Where did Holloway fly 18 hours from / to. ?

Hawaii to nyc, probably 18hrs including layovers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Rose - Submission
    Gamb!t wrote: »
    I cant change my vote ? I think Holloway will get the win via decision and fight McGregor later in the year.

That Ferguson injury just doesnt sit with me.

its a very tasty 17/1 with pp that max wins on pts
    its a bit too big tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Iaquinta - TKO/KO
    pudzey101 wrote: »
    Dana just said at the presser there holloway or khabib will be champion by the end of sat night

? Dana has been saying this for weeks. Even when Tony was in the mix. Though if either of them don't make championship weight then that person can't win the belt of course.

Max at the presser has me seriously hyped for this fight, he has gotten way better on the mic. Mad how Khabib thinks that Max is only taking the fight for money reasons and doesn't think Max believes he can win. Also if Khabib thinks Max is comparable to fighting Barboza he may end up being surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Khabib - Submission
    ? Dana has been saying this for weeks. Even when Tony was in the mix. Though if either of them don't make championship weight then that person can't win the belt of course.

Max at the presser has me seriously hyped for this fight, he has gotten way better on the mic. Mad how Khabib thinks that Max is only taking the fight for money reasons and doesn't think Max believes he can win. Also if Khabib thinks Max is comparable to fighting Barboza he may end up being surprised.

Why would he end up surprised? What has Holloway got that Barboza doesn't?

Barboza is comparable fighter. His striking ability is right up there. Durability is good. Defends to a good standard. And he got broken up. Khabib is an animal, the guy is bred for fighting. Max will give a good account for himself, he's a champ, but he's going to feel the pinch here and he will get overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Khabib - Submission
    Khabib's weight cut is going to be interesting seeing as he fired George Lockhart yesterday.

Both miss weight, Conor stays champ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Khabib - Submission
    Whelo79 wrote: »
    Khabib's weight cut is going to be interesting seeing as he fired George Lockhart yesterday.

Both miss weight, Conor stays champ!

Lockhart and Dolce are 100% bro-science merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Dana just said at the presser there holloway or khabib will be champion by the end of sat night and also quote "Conor’s coming back this year, 100 percent,” . “He will fight this year. We’ll see how this thing plays out and we’ll go from there.”

So conor wont be back this year:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I doubt we are hearing the true story regarding Tony's injury. For an athlete to "tear his ligament off the bone" due to a trip at walking pace sounds very odd.
    It's really not really strange at all tbh. Off the bone just means its fully torn. If they wanted to sell a story they could just say ligament tear in training - which is really common.
    .ak wrote: »
    To tear a ligament in your knee you really need to bend it badly in the wrong direction. I over flexed mine in a bad tackle situation last year and had a slight tear only, managed to get back for a final a couple of weeks later. I find it hard to believe someone with the muscle mass and support that Tony has just fell on it and it tore completely. Something smells there.
    To tear it by overextending would take a big force because of all the muscle mass. Going sideways, or twisting the knee doesn't take much force at all as there is little muscle controlling movement in that direction. I'd guess as he turned and tripped, his foot got stuck under him and his knee collapsed sideways.

As an aside, the 10th Planet Rubber Guard puts stress on the same ligament he tore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

For those that missed it. Starts two mins in............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rose - Submission
    Just watched the press conferance and am now buzzing for the fight on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Joanna - Submission
    What if for some bizzare reason it goes the distance and is a draw (very slim i know) who is going to be champion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

https://twitter.com/lthomasnews/status/981616523705049089

Sounds like more bollox about the weight from George.
    You wouldn't lose that kind of weight on a flight, even if you skipped all the food. Flights tend to bloat people and even if he somehow dehydrated on the flight. And was further along the cut then expected, that wouldn't make it easier. The issue is the volume.

George is peddling pony again. I'd guess the aim is to present the idea that MAx isn't giving up weight in this one.

These are all thing Lockhart has said'
    Edit:
    "I think, like, 187 pounds would have been an automatic, No way in hell."
    "Max got off the plane at 176. It's a regular cut now"
    "Max lost 10lbs on the plane"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Iaquinta - TKO/KO
    myshirt wrote: »

Why would he end up surprised? What has Holloway got that Barboza doesn't?

Barboza is comparable fighter. His striking ability is right up there. Durability is good. Defends to a good standard. And he got broken up. Khabib is an animal, the guy is bred for fighting. Max will give a good account for himself, he's a champ, but he's going to feel the pinch here and he will get overwhelmed.

Barboza's striking is great overall, and has ridiculous kicks but his boxing definitely isn't as good as Max's. Once someone gets inside his kicking range he can get a bit flustered. Barboza is also susceptible to being pressured whereas Max seems to thrive under pressure and does great work in the pocket.

I'm not saying how Khabib handled Barboza won't happen to Max. I just think Khabibs mentality that just because he completely suppressed Barboza doesn't mean he can easily do the same to Max. Two very different fighters and there's a reason Max is champ and Barboza is floating around #2 or #3.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Joanna - Submission
    cliggg wrote: »
    I know the benefit of hindsight and all but looking at this video I can't believe Tony doesn't get injured more, some mad stuff in here.

Christ his lifting form makes McGregor look like an olympic rower. :eek:

Joanna - Submission
    The bears takedown defence is unbelievable. Does it have it's teeth and claws removed?

Probably. It's one of those Russian circus bears. As someone asked earlier in the thread, did they grow up together? Unlikely. Only one of them got to see adulthood in all likelihood, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

McGregor and his entourage causing absolute mayhem at the Barclays center today apparently

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/conor-mcgregor-ufc-223-media-day-trouble-michael-chiesa-injured

Joanna - Submission
    I'm actually one of the few who like Joanna. I love her madness. I can really buy into that. Also she's just a lovely striker, death from a thousand cuts... buuut, it's really hard not to root for Rose. I mean, she brought her dog with her to New York!! Come on!

• Advertisement

Joanna - Submission
    ianob7 wrote: »
    McGregor and his entourage causing absolute mayhem at the Barclays center today apparently

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/conor-mcgregor-ufc-223-media-day-trouble-michael-chiesa-injured

Gas. Conor gonna Conor.

Looks like he was looking for a straightner with Khabib after the incident with Lobov. :pac:

Did anyone think McGregor being present this weekend with end without incident. Can only imagine this is just a taste of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Rose - Submission
    Gas. Conor gonna Conor.

Looks like he was looking for a straightner with Khabib after the incident with Lobov. :pac:

Did anyone think McGregor being present this weekend with end without incident. Can only imagine this is just a taste of things to come.

Warrant out for his arrest. Plane grounded. Lawsuits pending. He’ll do nuthin’ (else this weekend)

Joanna - Submission
    Mad.

Lobov being pulled is interesting. I do think things obviously got out of hand, but this isn't the first time entourages have had altercations. Have people been pulled from fights before because of things like this? I remember the Diaz brothers gang getting in an almighty mix up in Vegas before - what were the repercussions there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

Rose - Decision
    Wasn't that Diaz brawl during Bellator or other organization and not a UFC card

• Registered Users Posts: 29,501 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rose - Submission
    I really hope Rose is ok :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Khabib - Submission
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I really hope Rose is ok :(

Sounds like she wasn't hurt thankfully but something like this in the middle of a weight cut while you're preparing for the biggest fight of your life can't be easy on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Rose - Submission
    Mad.

Lobov being pulled is interesting. I do think things obviously got out of hand, but this isn't the first time entourages have had altercations. Have people been pulled from fights before because of things like this? I remember the Diaz brothers gang getting in an almighty mix up in Vegas before - what were the repercussions there?

One entourage in this case should not even have been there. The MacLife accredited people apparently opened a door/emergency exit and allowed the gang in to attack the buses.

Joanna - Submission
    One entourage in this case should not even have been there. The MacLife accredited people apparently opened a door/emergency exit and allowed the gang in to attack the buses.

Yeah I understand what happened. Similar situations have happened before like this, just wondering what the repercussions have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Joanna - Submission
    Sounds like she wasn't hurt thankfully but something like this in the middle of a weight cut while you're preparing for the biggest fight of your life can't be easy on the head.

At this stage I'm not sure if I'd prefer her fight to go ahead or not.

Wouldn't want her to fight if she's not mentally there, but was really looking forward to the fight.

Advertisement