Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This post has been deleted.

Could be wrong but I'm sure I can recall traders being up in arms over the pedestrianisation of OPS back in 2004/05.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Any improvement yesterday ? How they expect this to work without gardai standing there is beyond me

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

What do you mean by a proper public transport link? Surely there are enough bus services from the city suburbs and the likes of Ballincollig, Carrigaline, Blarney etc. or are you suggesting that there should be a Cork equivalent of the DART or the LUAS?

Yes a CART would be great :P

Also I live in one of the above mentioned suburbs and the bus service is a joke.
    It's just not reliable enough, issues with buses not showing up, not being on time, passing people at stops when not full.

Now there is a promise of an overhaul and more frequent buses but as far as I know no solid commitment of when this will happen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

should be a Cork equivalent of the DART or the LUAS?

I'd love if there was personally but it will never happen.

• Advertisement

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yes a CART would be great :P

Also I live in one of the above mentioned suburbs and the bus service is a joke.
    It's just not reliable enough, issues with buses not showing up, not being on time, passing people at stops when not full.

Now there is a promise of an overhaul and more frequent buses but as far as I know no solid commitment of when this will happen.

Ballincollig, Carrigaline, Blarney.

Ballincollig - satellite town
    Carrigaline - cummuter town
    Blarney - town

They aren't suburbs.

Commuting from any of them can't be compared to commuting from an actual suburb of Cork city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MeName

Anyone know how the junctions at Grattan Street and Sheare Street, and Grattan and Washington Street are coping during rush hour.

I presume if cars can't get out from Grattan Street and make the left onto Washington Street due to the congestion buses such as the 205 and 208 are going to get seriously held up here for a while even with the new bus lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Augeo wrote: »
    Ballincollig, Carrigaline, Blarney.

Ballincollig - satellite town
    Carrigaline - cummuter town
    Blarney - town

They aren't suburbs.

Commuting from any of them can't be compared to commuting from an actual suburb of Cork city.

Ballincollig & Blarney are soon to be part of Cork City with the new boundary extension. In effect, they will be suburbs of the city and the public transport services will need to reflect that.

Personally, I think the move to partially pedestrianize Patrick Street and prioritize public transport is a positive move, and is hopefully part of an overall scheme to improve the movement of public transport into, out of, and through the city.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Ballincollig & Blarney are soon to be part of Cork City with the new boundary extension. In effect, they will be suburbs of the city and the public transport services will need to reflect that.

That's fair enough.
    Currently they aren't suburbs though and there are no plans for Carrigaline to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭yogmeister

Its seems to me that this is nt working , Patrick st is car free and every where else is mental

• Advertisement

That's fair enough.
    Currently they aren't suburbs though and there are no plans for Carrigaline to be.

Don't get the logic that depending on which local authority a place is in makes or a suburb or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

That's fair enough.

What exactly decides what is and what isn’t a suburb of Cork City?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭macraignil

I'd reckon that is decided by the city boundary but in practical terms anywhere with a public transport link could be viewed as a suburb. I finish work at between 4 and 5 in Cork city most days during the week and no public transport goes near where I live. Schools are off so traffic now is probably less than average but since closing Patrick street at office closing times to private cars the trip home is an extra hour long.

The city council clearly does not have any consideration for people outside of the city who work there. Because of the decision to close the road to normal traffic I'm facing an extra 5 hours a week stuck in traffic with no other option. It's not just the traders who should be annoyed about the decision to make transport by car in the city completely impractical like it is in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Lets be honest it really isnt a city other than it has a cathedral, it's a big town at most,

The traffic is a joke there alright

gustafo wrote: »
    Lets be honest it really isnt a city other than it has a cathedral, it's a big town at most,

Define city. Of all the cities in Ireland, Cork gets the most abuse about not being a city. Hard to understand given it has a royal charter for over 800 years and has a population of at least 200k.

Of course it’s a bloody city.

macraignil wrote: »
    I'd reckon that is decided by the city boundary but in practical terms anywhere with a public transport link could be viewed as a suburb. I finish work at between 4 and 5 in Cork city most days during the week and no public transport goes near where I live. Schools are off so traffic now is probably less than average but since closing Patrick street at office closing times to private cars the trip home is an extra hour long.

The city council clearly does not have any consideration for people outside of the city who work there. Because of the decision to close the road to normal traffic I'm facing an extra 5 hours a week stuck in traffic with no other option. It's not just the traders who should be annoyed about the decision to make transport by car in the city completely impractical like it is in Dublin.

You must live out in the sticks so. And I just can't see how it's taking an extra hour drive since Tuesday. Use the park and ride or drive in as far as where the bus routes start and bus it in from there. There are always options but some people insist on driving their cars right up to their desks at work. I work in the city and usually use public transport to commute but had the car yesterday. It was grand going home.

Well towns aren't considered suburbs really are they?

Well towns aren't considered suburbs really are they?

“A suburb is a mixed-use or residential area, existing either as part of a city or urban area or as a separate residential community within commuting distance of a city.”

Yes they are.

So Bandon, Crosshavan, Mallow etc are suburbs?
    According to your definition they are however they clearly aren't. Kildare town isn't a suburb of Dublin either etc etc etc

The Lough, Blackpool etc are suburbs of Cork City.

It's a simple enough concept really.

Suburbia isn't a town 10 or 20 miles away from Cork city.

Town "an urban area that has a name, defined boundaries, and local government, and that is generally larger than a village and smaller than a city"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So Bandon, Crosshavan, Mallow etc are suburbs?
    According to your definition they are however they clearly aren't. Kildare town isn't a suburb of Dublin either etc etc etc

The Lough, Blackpool etc are suburbs of Cork City.

It's a simple enough concept really.

Suburbia isn't a town 10 or 20 miles away from Cork city.

Town "an urban area that has a name, defined boundaries, and local government, and that is generally larger than a village and smaller than a city"

Whatever.
    Can we get back to the topic in hand?

• Advertisement

By that definition no town in Ireland is a town as there are no local government town councils in Ireland. Anyway not sure what all the word play is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

I was parked on the Mall yesterday left about 17.20 gridlock heading towards Parnell Place, I was lucky as heading out towards the City Hall, I don't need to cross town at these times but it doesn't seem to be working.

mcko wrote: »
    I was parked on the Mall yesterday left about 17.20 gridlock heading towards Parnell Place, I was lucky as heading out towards the City Hall, I don't need to cross town at these times but it doesn't seem to be working.

Town has very often been gridlocked before this week at various times. The way people are going on you'd swear there was never traffic in the city until this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Town has very often been gridlocked before this week at various times. The way people are going on you'd swear there was never traffic in the city until this week.

I don't think anyone is saying that.

However, at a simplistic level you cannot take the volume of traffic from Patrick's street and funnel it elsewhere without expecting a backlog. It's added a realistic 20 minutes to my commute this week every day.

If the council wanted to improve traffic flow in the city, the ideal solution would be to have had Gardai policing yellow boxes to prohibit the insane junction blocking that happens every time lights change. When the junctions are blocked by cars nesting behind one another, traffic in other directions can't take advantage of green lights, and gridlock is compounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

can you apply for some kind of exemption if your doing a job in there and need access.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

There's been gridlock out towards the tunnel the past two evenings... coincidence or knock on effect of traffic avoiding city center?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Surely the city council's priority would be to make Cork City a better place for the people who actually live there. Why do people insist on living so far from where they work I'll never understand. It's great that they finally prioritised public transport and improved the area for pedestrians. More of this please

I have a house with my girlfriend on her family farm and she needs to be there to look after the farm animals as her father is getting older and we both need jobs to pay the mortgage which requires working in the city. There is no insisting on the option of living far from where we work. It's just turned out that that is the only option available unless we can find new jobs outside the city or give up on living in the countryside which without traffic problems is just 25minutes drive to work.

Me or her taking turns to drive to work was not impacting negatively on people living in Cork city and the gridlock created by the new traffic policy seems to make the city a lot worse to live in from what I can see. I've no problem with prioritising public transport but when a complete street is closed to normal traffic when there was not a significant problem there and there is no improvement to the alternative routes for private transport the city is simply giving no regard for people who must work in the city but can't afford to live there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

gustafo wrote: »

Ridiculous statement to make. Of course Cork is a city. BTW there are two cathedrals in the city.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You must live out in the sticks so. And I just can't see how it's taking an extra hour drive since Tuesday. Use the park and ride or drive in as far as where the bus routes start and bus it in from there. There are always options but some people insist on driving their cars right up to their desks at work. I work in the city and usually use public transport to commute but had the car yesterday. It was grand going home.

The only park and ride I know of in Cork is on the south side of the city and I live to the north in between Rathcormac and Castlelyons or in the sticks as you put it. It would take longer to drive to the park and ride and come back north again to get to work in the city centre. I do not drive to my desk but to a multistory parking facility a few minutes walk from work. There is no public transport where I live and no park and ride option that would improve my situation.

• Advertisement

Owen wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is saying that.

However, at a simplistic level you cannot take the volume of traffic from Patrick's street and funnel it elsewhere without expecting a backlog. It's added a realistic 20 minutes to my commute this week every day.

If the council wanted to improve traffic flow in the city, the ideal solution would be to have had Gardai policing yellow boxes to prohibit the insane junction blocking that happens every time lights change. When the junctions are blocked by cars nesting behind one another, traffic in other directions can't take advantage of green lights, and gridlock is compounded.

That wasn't the aim of this. It was to improve the experience of a vital public transport corridor in the city. Over 900 bus movements go through Patrick Street every day.

Again I can't see how it's made the commute longer other than you're driving right into the core of the city. Park outside and walk in or bus it in or get a bike and park in the suburbs and cycle in. You don't need to bring your car to your desk at work. Take advantage of the bus priority in the city. Cities all over Europe have done this and it has undoubtedly improved things for everyone.

Advertisement