Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

TheChizler wrote: »
    smurgen wrote: »
    Passed through this evening and it's made the traffic situation considerably worse
    Should gradually improve as people become aware and reroute.

Doubtful.i reckon i will be reversed in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Augeo wrote: »
    It's clearly turned towards motorists who are driving down the pedestrian priority road, it's turned away from motorists driving on Patrick Street :)

Miss that and you shouldn't be driving. As we all know many folk on the road are appalling at driving.

40992912612_fcd07eff0f_z.jpg

It’s not turned towards drivers, it’s slightly turned in towards the pedestrians, you can see it in the pic; it’s taken on the footpath and it’s facing the camera. Why else is McDonalds directly in the background?

Possible that someone has turned it that way, I’d imagine it was facing those entering the road initially.

Plenty of people are appalling at being on the road (including pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists) but if that pic is representative of the sign as it currently is, I can’t find too much fault in people missing it.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Local traders against making shopping street more friendly to pedestrian shoppers.....
    Was Patrick St considered “unfriendly” that merited this measure?
    Don’t think I’ve ever being on the street and felt the traffic made a bit of difference to my shopping. Are there really that many pathetic people who couldn’t cross the road at the 5 sets of lights, and plenty of opportunities that the slow traffic offered?
    It’s now just a bus lane between those times, so not pedestrian priority even.

I’d imagine the focus is to get the buses to run better than any major benefit to pedestrians directly. So I think that’s worth a trial to see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Cars going east from Washington Street shouldn't need to turn left on to daunt square. Easier to take the one way around the Mercy hospital well before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

smurgen wrote: »
    Doubtful.i reckon i will be reversed in a few days.
    Certainly hope not, public transport should be given priority on the entire central island of cork city. Have often spent over an hour waiting for a bus on patrick street thats meant to be 15mins frequency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭kub

Certainly hope not, public transport should be given priority on the entire central island of cork city. Have often spent over an hour waiting for a bus on patrick street thats meant to be 15mins frequency.

Is it only Patrick Street that is responsible for delaying buses though?

It’s not turned towards drivers, it’s slightly turned in towards the pedestrians, you can see it in the pic; it’s taken on the footpath and it’s facing the camera. Why else is McDonalds directly in the background?

Possible that someone has turned it that way, I’d imagine it was facing those entering the road initially.

Plenty of people are appalling at being on the road (including pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists) but if that pic is representative of the sign as it currently is, I can’t find too much fault in people missing it.

I've seen it hundreds of times in person, it's perfectly positioned for motorists.

It's turned so as to make it clear what road is the pedestrian priority area.

Augeo wrote: »
    I've seen it hundreds of times in person, it's perfectly positioned for motorists.

It's turned so as to make it clear what road is the pedestrian priority area.
    Why is it turned away at an angle from the motorists view?
    You can see in both pictures that were taken, that it's towards pedestrians rather the driver entering the area. I'm pretty sure that's not how it was originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Why is it turned away at an angle from the motorists view?
    You can see in both pictures that were taken, that it's towards pedestrians rather the driver entering the area. I'm pretty sure that's not how it was originally.

It was pointing a different way, as Google maps shows. The other picture seems to show it pointing towards the buildings

lW0w4jH.jpg

kub wrote: »
    Is it only Patrick Street that is responsible for delaying buses though?

Part of the problem yes. Has taken the bus 20 mins to get off Patrick Stewart in heavy traffic . But the south mall and grand parade can cause issue on routes too .

Hopefully just the beginning of a wider movement

• Advertisement

It was pointing a different way, as Google maps shows.
    Was just checking it myself :) It's from June 2017 according to Google Maps, so it has changed.
    That's the correct position for it I would say.
    Not sure why it's now tilted away from the driver.

I'm basing this on the pics provided; may need to pass it for better judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MeName

24 hour bus lane from the court house until about 10ft from the Patrick Street Junction lights. What's the logic of this? Surely 3pm-6.30pm Mon-Friday wouldn't cause buses any significant delays outside these hours. The Western Road bus lane operates completely fine even with the limited morning and afternoon weekdays only times.

I predict the traffic ban will see taxi drivers absolutely flooring it down the street ignoring the 30km/h. It'st like AGS will be setting up speed traps on the stretch.

Maybe the next step for making this city more pedestrian friendly is to start ticketing cars on the footpath by the courthouse and some actually enforcement of the bus lane outside Pres and St.Joesephs schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Cars going east from Washington Street shouldn't need to turn left on to daunt square. Easier to take the one way around the Mercy hospital well before that.

And then if you don't want to turn left at the first bridge you can wait for the very slow light at the Gate cinema that lets cars through five or six at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

TheChizler wrote: »
    Should gradually improve as people become aware and reroute.

It'll just move the problem somewhere else.
    Small city with a limited number of routes to use, simple logic really.

It's always the 'stick' approach, punishing the motorist. Where's the 'carrot'? Where's the positive incentive to leave the car at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's always the 'stick' approach, punishing the motorist. Where's the 'carrot'? Where's the positive incentive to leave the car at home?
    If busses are more on time due to the change won't that be an incentive to get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭RINO87

Why the heck are traders up in arms over this? Who actually drives in, to park in Patrick St. and go shopping? Really like. We are so fecking resistant to change in this country its infuriating!!
    Our cities need to be taken back from the cars, this can only be done incrementally, and this is a good start. Yes there will be problems and public transport will need a major kick up the hole to pick up the slack, but its a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

RINO87 wrote: »
    Why the heck are traders up in arms over this? Who actually drives in, to park in Patrick St. and go shopping? Really like. We are so fecking resistant to change in this country its infuriating!!
    Our cities need to be taken back from the cars, this can only be done incrementally, and this is a good start. Yes there will be problems and public transport will need a major kick up the hole to pick up the slack, but its a start!

Was just going to post this! Traders complaining about the loss of passing trade. What are they talking about?

It'll just move the problem somewhere else.
    Small city with a limited number of routes to use, simple logic really.

Much smaller cities than Cork around Europe have given back their city centres to people and public transport - these types of measures have proven successful the world over. Just the usual resistance to change in Ireland and the absolute national obsession with moaning.

Exactly - the vast majority of cars are using patrick street to cross the city - they are not stopping anywhere so are of no benefit to the traders. How hard is it to understand their income comes from people on foot , not from the cars . Anyone driving to the city has loads of parking options , and park and ride and bus/train options.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Was just going to post this! Traders complaining about the loss of passing trade. What are they talking about?

IMO It's not the street itself, it's the effect on the city.
    The traffic is a pain, some routes you are used to are now gone making it more awkward to get to the multi story car parks.
    That in turn will drive people to go shopping in Mahon point and suburbs.

Without a proper public transport link into the city people will avoid it.

Now I'm all for the changes to be honest, but the city will suffer short term until people get used to it and the bus service becomes more reliable.

• Advertisement

We are so fecking resistant to change in this country its infuriating!!
    What? The country is changing all the time. You'll always have some resistance, but where's the confusion in understanding that?
    There's no mass protests. No shutting down of the street/shops by vendors. People aren't parking cars across the street in a bid to over turn this. There's no mass breaking of the new rules in anger.
    Change is happening. A few people are venting, but also getting on with it. Relax.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    The traffic is a pain, some routes you are used to are now gone making it more awkward to get to the multi story car parks.

Now I'm all for the changes to be honest, but the city will suffer short term until people get used to it and the bus service becomes more reliable.

Frying pan into the proverbial fire there tbh.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Frying pan into the proverbial fire there tbh.

Not at all.
    Despite all the bad press Mahon is extremely easy to get into/out of and parking is free. Now I live south of the city so it does suit me more but it has advantages over town at the moment with gridlock

Not at all.
    Despite all the bad press Mahon is extremely easy to get into/out of and parking is free. Now I live south of the city so it does suit me more but it has advantages over town at the moment with gridlock

Really?? With only a single exit 20-40 minutes to get out of there are a regular occurrence. I got stuck in a few of them and have since given up on the place unless absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

public transport will need a major kick up the hole to pick up the slack, but its a start!

People vote to 'fix the roads'....they don't vote to 'fix the public transport'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Folks can't see them allegedly :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

What do you mean by a proper public transport link? Surely there are enough bus services from the city suburbs and the likes of Ballincollig, Carrigaline, Blarney etc. or are you suggesting that there should be a Cork equivalent of the DART or the LUAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Advertisement

Saw this from the geniuses that are FF:

Cork City councillor Tim Brosnan (FF) said the scheme would be bad for the city as a whole. He said that the plan would hurt small businesses in the city and was “hammering the character of the city”.

“It’s absolute madness. It would be as easy for the buses to go around St Patrick’s Street – it’s just as easy to walk to the South Mall or the quays"

What a clown.... hammering the character of the city. :pac: How do these eejits get elected...

Advertisement